Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should we boycott Mega Millions?

Topic closed. 153 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Goteki54.

Page 9 of 11
PrintE-mailLink

Boycott mega millions?

Yes [ 12 ]  [24.49%]
No [ 37 ]  [75.51%]
Total Valid Votes [ 49 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  

United States
Member #128790
June 2, 2012
5431 Posts
Posted: September 2, 2014, 10:55 am - IP Logged

You said:

You do realize that everyone has the same chances of winning despite the state they live in, right? The only thing affecting your chances of winning, by only the tiniest of margin, is how many lines you play. Someone playing $1 in Wyoming has the same chance as someone playing $1 in California, Texas, New York or Florida. There is a larger chance of someone in California winning than a person in Wyoming, but that's only because California has more people playing. However, the odds of players in each state is exactly the same, with the only variable being the amount played.

You contradicted yourself in a big way ( a bunch of times ) ,  thanks for seeing it my way, that they have an unfair advantage.

You've got to be a troll because a 12 year old can understand the simple concept of why there are more winners in states with larger populations.

There were no contradictions in what you quoted. 

I seriously believe you need to see a professional for whatever problem you are having in your inability to understand fundamental logic. Please seek help before you hurt yourself, or others around you. I mean this in a kind way.

pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #104962
    January 23, 2011
    1075 Posts
    Posted: September 2, 2014, 11:01 am - IP Logged

You've got to be a troll because a 12 year old can understand the simple concept of why there are more winners in states with larger populations.

There were no contradictions in what you quoted. 

I seriously believe you need to see a professional for whatever problem you are having in your inability to understand fundamental logic. Please seek help before you hurt yourself, or others around you. I mean this in a kind way.

I'm just pointing out the obvious,  yet you assume I'm trolling because you refuse to admit california has an unfair advantage over most states,  the poster I quoted even contradicted himself many times and admitted it,  and then contradicted again.  Since when does the lottery use logic!?  The lottery has been having lots of illogical winsLOL

United States
      Member #128790
      June 2, 2012
      5431 Posts
      Posted: September 2, 2014, 11:25 am - IP Logged

I'm just pointing out the obvious,  yet you assume I'm trolling because you refuse to admit california has an unfair advantage over most states,  the poster I quoted even contradicted himself many times and admitted it,  and then contradicted again.  Since when does the lottery use logic!?  The lottery has been having lots of illogical winsLOL

What part of "IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY WIN IN WHAT STATE BECAUSE YOU'LL STILL HAVE THE SAME CHANCE AS ANYONE ELSE NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE", don't you get?

Thud

I did say earlier on that I wouldn't partake in this anymore, in the hopes that someone would finally make you realize how idiotic you sound. But after NINE pages of people telling you that you make no sense, your case seems hopeless to break. 

I'll tell you what, I was wrong, move to California so you'll have a much much better chance of winning the JP, if it'll make you feel better. Don't listen to the countless people here who say you have the same chance to win, whether you live in California, or on MARS, they, including me were totally wrong. We are all idiots and you're the brightest French fry in the happy meal.

Since logic escapes you, I firmly believe a "happy Feel good" approach will work better for you. 

SO, When you get to Cali, please send me a copy of the back of the play slip. I want to see what the odds say on the back when someone plays in California. I'm sure the odds of winning printed on the back of slip is much more in favor of the player winning a JP than other states. I'm willing to bet 50 bucks the odds of winning a JP drop from 1 in 259 million to about 1 in 140 million when you play in Cali. Good luck !

United States
        Member #128790
        June 2, 2012
        5431 Posts
        Posted: September 2, 2014, 11:35 am - IP Logged

Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #104962
          January 23, 2011
          1075 Posts
          Posted: September 2, 2014, 11:43 am - IP Logged

What part of "IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY WIN IN WHAT STATE BECAUSE YOU'LL STILL HAVE THE SAME CHANCE AS ANYONE ELSE NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE", don't you get?

Thud

I did say earlier on that I wouldn't partake in this anymore, in the hopes that someone would finally make you realize how idiotic you sound. But after NINE pages of people telling you that you make no sense, your case seems hopeless to break. 

I'll tell you what, I was wrong, move to California so you'll have a much much better chance of winning the JP, if it'll make you feel better. Don't listen to the countless people here who say you have the same chance to win, whether you live in California, or on MARS, they, including me were totally wrong. We are all idiots and you're the brightest French fry in the happy meal.

Since logic escapes you, I firmly believe a "happy Feel good" approach will work better for you. 

SO, When you get to Cali, please send me a copy of the back of the play slip. I want to see what the odds say on the back when someone plays in California. I'm sure the odds of winning printed on the back of slip is much more in favor of the player winning a JP than other states. I'm willing to bet 50 bucks the odds of winning a JP drop from 1 in 259 million to about 1 in 140 million when you play in Cali. Good luck !

Like I mentioned way back in this topic,  I don't, and haven't played PB or MMs in a long time!  If the odds of winning were truly equal in all states,  a different one would win every time,  but that doesn't happen.  Furthermore, when I see coincidental stuff like this, it makes me wonder.  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1344539/How-26-000-fans-Lost-actually-WON-copying-lottery-numbers-used-TV-series-cash-Mega-Millions-draw.html

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
            Texas
            United States
            Member #92330
            June 5, 2010
            887 Posts
            Posted: September 2, 2014, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

You said:

You do realize that everyone has the same chances of winning despite the state they live in, right? The only thing affecting your chances of winning, by only the tiniest of margin, is how many lines you play. Someone playing $1 in Wyoming has the same chance as someone playing $1 in California, Texas, New York or Florida. There is a larger chance of someone in California winning than a person in Wyoming, but that's only because California has more people playing. However, the odds of players in each state is exactly the same, with the only variable being the amount played.

You contradicted yourself in a big way ( a bunch of times ) ,  thanks for seeing it my way, that they have an unfair advantage.

Actually, I didn't. You just aren't understanding what I wrote.

Each person has the same percentage/odds of winning. The only thing that changes those odds/percentages is amount played, which the player decides on.

Each state has different odds/percentages of winning because each state has vastly varying amounts of players and money spent on the lottery.

So, Jim in Kentucky has the same chances/odds/percentages/opportunities of winning as Mary in California. The people have the same chance. California as a state, though, is more likely to win than Kentucky. The state has a different chance. That has zero effect on the chances each individual has. No matter the state you live in, we all select from the same group of numbers and all depend on the same draw to determine a winner. If you can't understand that, I can't help you.

At this point I'm ready to accept you're just ignorant to the explanations people are giving, because the other side of that is that you aren't smart enough to understand it, which I don't think is the case. Because this isn't that hard of a concept to understand. The percentages a state has of winning has zero impact on the percentages an individual has on winning. This is the same issue people have when declaring Chicago the most dangerous city in America, though per capita it isn't close. That's the same issue here. If we had per capita stats for lottery winners and states, it would clearly show that no state has a winning advantage.

Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #104962
              January 23, 2011
              1075 Posts
              Posted: September 2, 2014, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

Each person has the same percentage/odds of winning. The only thing that changes those odds/percentages is amount played, which the player decides on.

Each state has different odds/percentages of winning because each state has vastly varying amounts of players and money spent on the lottery.

So, Jim in Kentucky has the same chances/odds/percentages/opportunities of winning as Mary in California. The people have the same chance. California as a state, though, is more likely to win than Kentucky. The state has a different chance. That has zero effect on the chances each individual has. No matter the state you live in, we all select from the same group of numbers and all depend on the same draw to determine a winner. If you can't understand that, I can't help you.

At this point I'm ready to accept you're just ignorant to the explanations people are giving, because the other side of that is that you aren't smart enough to understand it, which I don't think is the case. Because this isn't that hard of a concept to understand. The percentages a state has of winning has zero impact on the percentages an individual has on winning. This is the same issue people have when declaring Chicago the most dangerous city in America, though per capita it isn't close. That's the same issue here. If we had per capita stats for lottery winners and states, it would clearly show that no state has a winning advantage.

Obviously you're getting people odds, and state odds mixed up.  Maybe they should do the odds of winning for each state,  that would be the better way to do it.  Say a state has a 1 out of certain number of odds to win MM or PB.  It's not ignorance per se, or misunderstandings.

United States
                Member #128790
                June 2, 2012
                5431 Posts
                Posted: September 2, 2014, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

He doesn't get it and never will.

I live in Florida. My city has a population of about 66,000. 

Jacksonville City FL, has a population of 836,000.

So I'd be an idiot to complain about how unfair it is that Jacksonville City is winning more Florida Lotto JPs than the town I live in. It's just not fair... whaa whaaa whaaa!!!

My suggestion, punish some of the people in Jacksonville by capping how many tickets are sold. This way, my chances of winning a JP can GREATLY IMPROVE in the city I live in which only has a population of 66,000!!!

DESPITE THE FACT THAT IT DOESN'T MAKE A FREAKING DIFFERENCE WHERE IN FLORIDA I LIVE. I STILL HAVE TO OVERCOME 1 IN 23,000,000 TO WIN A JP. 

AND SO DOES THE SCHMUCK IN JACKSONVILLE CITY!

Ignorance doesn't apply to this case. It's plain STUPIDITY!....Crazy

Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #104962
                  January 23, 2011
                  1075 Posts
                  Posted: September 2, 2014, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

He doesn't get it and never will.

I live in Florida. My city has a population of about 66,000. 

Jacksonville City FL, has a population of 836,000.

So I'd be an idiot to complain about how unfair it is that Jacksonville City is winning more Florida Lotto JPs than the town I live in. It's just not fair... whaa whaaa whaaa!!!

My suggestion, punish some of the people in Jacksonville by capping how many tickets are sold. This way, my chances of winning a JP can GREATLY IMPROVE in the city I live in which only has a population of 66,000!!!

DESPITE THE FACT THAT IT DOESN'T MAKE A FREAKING DIFFERENCE WHERE IN FLORIDA I LIVE. I STILL HAVE TO OVERCOME 1 IN 23,000,000 TO WIN A JP. 

AND SO DOES THE SCHMUCK IN JACKSONVILLE CITY!

Ignorance doesn't apply to this case. It's plain STUPIDITY!....Crazy

So you're "whaa whaaa whaaaing"  that I won't budge on my position,  what hypocrites.

You said:

Was it so hard to come up with that number!?  Why do people get all angry, bent out of shape over questioning these big lotteries!?  Heaven forbid some of you find out you are throwing away money, and you won't ever win it!  I think that is why some of you're taking this so personally.  Yet I am going to be a big enough person to over look the "stupid" claim, and not be a cowardly tattle tale over insults or mocking.

United States
                    Member #128790
                    June 2, 2012
                    5431 Posts
                    Posted: September 2, 2014, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

So you're "whaa whaaa whaaaing"  that I won't budge on my position,  what hypocrites.

You said:

Was it so hard to come up with that number!?  Why do people get all angry, bent out of shape over questioning these big lotteries!?  Heaven forbid some of you find out you are throwing away money, and you won't ever win it!  I think that is why some of you're taking this so personally.  Yet I am going to be a big enough person to over look the "stupid" claim, and not be a cowardly tattle tale over insults or mocking.

Your position is LAME and NOT debatable. There is no reason why it should take 9 pages by countless people trying a 1,000 different ways to explain something so simple. It's like you arguing that 1+1=3, but you won't budge.

I don't play the big games because I'm smart enough to NOT throw my money away on something that will probably not happen to me in my lifetime. I'm not the one crying, YOU ARE.

Read my signature. it's been there for a long time. DUH !

I'm done, again!...I don't think you could buy a clue, even if it was on sale at half price. 

Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #104962
                      January 23, 2011
                      1075 Posts
                      Posted: September 2, 2014, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Your position is LAME and NOT debatable. There is no reason why it should take 9 pages by countless people trying a 1,000 different ways to explain something so simple. It's like you arguing that 1+1=3, but you won't budge.

I don't play the big games because I'm smart enough to NOT throw my money away on something that will probably not happen to me in my lifetime. I'm not the one crying, YOU ARE.

Read my signature. it's been there for a long time. DUH !

I'm done, again!...I don't think you could buy a clue, even if it was on sale at half price. 

LOL!  Pot calling the kettle back, once again.  Why bother trying to convince me that the big games are on the up and up then?  It's not that I'm supposedly clueless as you claim,  it's just that I see a major bias in them,  that isn't clueless or ignorant,  that actually takes some thinking to actually notice.

Texas
                        United States
                        Member #92330
                        June 5, 2010
                        887 Posts
                        Posted: September 2, 2014, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Obviously you're getting people odds, and state odds mixed up.  Maybe they should do the odds of winning for each state,  that would be the better way to do it.  Say a state has a 1 out of certain number of odds to win MM or PB.  It's not ignorance per se, or misunderstandings.

The odds a state has of winning means nothing, though. It's a very vague indicator of what state spends more on that game. And I say vague, because even though some states spend more, that's not all it takes to win. Because the lottery draws balls at random and it only takes a dollar to win, more money doesn't always mean more wins, which would give a pretty large +/- on whatever odds a state was given.

The ONLY thing that matters is that there are 258,890,850 combinations that can be drawn. The number of combinations doesn't change from one state to another and people from various states can all select the same numbers.

I'm not getting anything "obviously" mixed up. To those that aren't ignorant or misunderstanding the basic principles of the lottery, it's pretty clear.

On a side note, it would be interesting if MegaMillions (and Powerball for that matter) released stats of how many combinations each state played. Especially in those cases where we have big jackpots with multiple winners like when Kansas, Illinois and Maryland all won.

Wisconsin
                          United States
                          Member #104962
                          January 23, 2011
                          1075 Posts
                          Posted: September 2, 2014, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

The odds a state has of winning means nothing, though. It's a very vague indicator of what state spends more on that game. And I say vague, because even though some states spend more, that's not all it takes to win. Because the lottery draws balls at random and it only takes a dollar to win, more money doesn't always mean more wins, which would give a pretty large +/- on whatever odds a state was given.

The ONLY thing that matters is that there are 258,890,850 combinations that can be drawn. The number of combinations doesn't change from one state to another and people from various states can all select the same numbers.

I'm not getting anything "obviously" mixed up. To those that aren't ignorant or misunderstanding the basic principles of the lottery, it's pretty clear.

On a side note, it would be interesting if MegaMillions (and Powerball for that matter) released stats of how many combinations each state played. Especially in those cases where we have big jackpots with multiple winners like when Kansas, Illinois and Maryland all won.

You guys didn't even notice the website link I posted.  The bias towards certain states, and the coincidence with the all the numbers nearly matching to that tv show mentioned in this link  How 26,000 fans of Lost actually WON by copying the lottery numbers used in TV series to cash in on Mega Millions draw

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19901 Posts
                            Posted: September 2, 2014, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

Dawn Nettles has that kind of information on her Lotto Report website.  Usually it's the states that sell more tickets that win most but once in a while a jackpot winner is from one of the states that don't sell many tickets which proves winners can be from anywhere.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Texas
                              United States
                              Member #92330
                              June 5, 2010
                              887 Posts
                              Posted: September 3, 2014, 2:46 am - IP Logged

Dawn Nettles has that kind of information on her Lotto Report website.  Usually it's the states that sell more tickets that win most but once in a while a jackpot winner is from one of the states that don't sell many tickets which proves winners can be from anywhere.

Thanks.

It seems Virgina doesn't play much. Population of 8 million yet only $5,300 in sales compared to Idaho with 2 million population and $68,000 spent. And of course New York and California combined blow every other state out of the water (the two together spent as much as the next 5 states combined on the last jackpot winning draw).

I doubt there's a way to actually see the combinations played though, right? I mean, the $180m jackpot draw had $36,066,782 in sales, but how many of those lines played were unique? I know it would probably be quite low, but I think it would still be interesting to look at.

Page 9 of 11