Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should we boycott Mega Millions?

Topic closed. 153 replies. Last post 2 years ago by Goteki54.

Page 4 of 11
PrintE-mailLink

Boycott mega millions?

Yes [ 12 ]  [24.49%]
No [ 37 ]  [75.51%]
Total Valid Votes [ 49 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
pickone4me's avatar - 021414tvlies zpsa453b327.jpg
Wisconsin
United States
Member #104962
January 23, 2011
1075 Posts
Posted: August 24, 2014, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

You know I have purchased tickets in California, Florida, Texas and I didn't win the jackpot from any of those three states.  No Pity!

And you are wrong ticket sales went up dramatically when California joined the Powerball.  On the other hand I don't think we will even notice a ripple in the sales this week when Wyoming joins.

Tough luck!

Trump 2016!

Romancandle's avatar - moon
    Upacreek
    United States
    Member #136306
    December 8, 2012
    428 Posts
    Posted: August 24, 2014, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

You know I have purchased tickets in California, Florida, Texas and I didn't win the jackpot from any of those three states.  No Pity!

And you are wrong ticket sales went up dramatically when California joined the Powerball.  On the other hand I don't think we will even notice a ripple in the sales this week when Wyoming joins.

I've been wondering about that...

Somebody here on this site would probably have the stats to back it up.

When Cali joined, I thought we'd see bigger incremental increases from draw to draw in MM, but I didn't notice a significant difference.

Still seems to move along like it always has Disapprove

On the other hand, if they dropped out, I bet we'd see a big impact for sure...

-RC

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7295 Posts
      Posted: August 24, 2014, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

Why stick up for a game that is clearly rigged, and biased towards a certain few states? I won't win, and neither will you.

You're making it sound like it's more likely you'll win a Powerball jackpot which has the same percentage of play to jackpot probability as MM. As others have pointed out, simple math can easily explain why there are more jackpot winners in some states. Wisconsin players purchased $358,315 worth of MM tickets for the last drawing while California spent $6,376,480 and NY spent $4,093,612.

If you're going to make a case MM is rigged at least look at the facts because a much better case could be made by California and NY players the game is rigged when states with more than 10 times less bet win a jackpot.

United States
        Member #145267
        August 1, 2013
        1492 Posts
        Posted: August 24, 2014, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

I think because they are losing ticket buyers in other states.

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
          Member #153629
          March 20, 2014
          128 Posts
          Posted: August 24, 2014, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

OMG I cant belive how hard it is to get you to understand. Other have tried but the big conspiracy is all over your mind.

Let's try this final one, just try to understand once.

Say you have 2(two) states in a country.

In the first state lives 1.000.000 people

In the second state lives 1000 people (yes I know a really small state)

Both states can play in this cool Megaball-game weekly.

In the first state 1.000.000 tickets are sold every week

In the second state 1000 tickets are sold every week

1 time out of 1000 the big win would go to the smaller state.

However some people in the small state found that this was unfair so they wanted to have their own lottery because all the big jackpots went to the big state.

I beliieve you would rather live in the small state and play their Smallball-game,where top-prize is $300...

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
            Texas Panhandle
            United States
            Member #136843
            December 20, 2012
            1262 Posts
            Posted: August 24, 2014, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

I voted "No."  You're welcome to boycott MM if you like, but I'm gonna keep playing, esp. when the JP is on up there.

I'm suspicious of a lot of things, but I think Oswald shot JFK, that we landed on the moon and that Islamic terrorists flew those planes into the WTC buildings.  I do not believe there's a California conspiracy because of the same reason others have given - it's the numbers.  If Rhode Island or Delaware won multiple drawings out of ten, then I'd raise my eyebrows, but still wouldn't think there's a conspiracy.

United States
              Member #145267
              August 1, 2013
              1492 Posts
              Posted: August 24, 2014, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

For people that are not happy with the mega millions results,  do as I do,  pull back on your spending.  Only spend 1 dollar per draw on mega millions.  This way you are not losing alot of money, but you are in the game.  I bet the lottery people are not happy about the $$$$$ amount of the lottery and may-be change is coming.

United States
                Member #123134
                February 14, 2012
                55 Posts
                Posted: August 24, 2014, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

No, it's technically not a subject change,  people are throwing there money away to pay for californias money problems.    I haven't played any of the multi-state lotteries in a very long time,  because of california getting the win all the time,  why do people want to throw away their money to undeserving californians?

My chance of winning may not increase, but other states chances will increase.

If everyone in the U.S. bought one Powerball ticket, everyone in the U.S. would have the same chance of winning the jackpot.  But, since CA, NY and FL have higher populations (and more people from those states purchased tickets), there is a greater chance that the winner would come from CA, NY or FL.

If you can't understand that, you should more to CA so you can leverage that unfair advantage and win that next jackpot!

Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #104962
                  January 23, 2011
                  1075 Posts
                  Posted: August 24, 2014, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

I voted "No."  You're welcome to boycott MM if you like, but I'm gonna keep playing, esp. when the JP is on up there.

I'm suspicious of a lot of things, but I think Oswald shot JFK, that we landed on the moon and that Islamic terrorists flew those planes into the WTC buildings.  I do not believe there's a California conspiracy because of the same reason others have given - it's the numbers.  If Rhode Island or Delaware won multiple drawings out of ten, then I'd raise my eyebrows, but still wouldn't think there's a conspiracy.

That's why you call it a conspiracy, you don't want to think much into it.

Trump 2016!

Wisconsin
                    United States
                    Member #104962
                    January 23, 2011
                    1075 Posts
                    Posted: August 24, 2014, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

You're making it sound like it's more likely you'll win a Powerball jackpot which has the same percentage of play to jackpot probability as MM. As others have pointed out, simple math can easily explain why there are more jackpot winners in some states. Wisconsin players purchased $358,315 worth of MM tickets for the last drawing while California spent $6,376,480 and NY spent $4,093,612.

If you're going to make a case MM is rigged at least look at the facts because a much better case could be made by California and NY players the game is rigged when states with more than 10 times less bet win a jackpot.

So because they have more people paying in, you're telling others, and myself to accept that california and NY will win the PB and MM's most of the time?

Trump 2016!

United States
                      Member #123134
                      February 14, 2012
                      55 Posts
                      Posted: August 24, 2014, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

So because they have more people paying in, you're telling others, and myself to accept that california and NY will win the PB and MM's most of the time?

If you believe that 38,000,000>1,000,000 or 1+1=2, then you and others should accept it... it's math.

United States
                        Member #128373
                        May 22, 2012
                        201 Posts
                        Posted: August 24, 2014, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

Boycotting is just as useless as petitions.  I'm sick of all the conspiracy theories with lotteries.  If you're feeling that one state is winning more than others, either move to that state or STOP PLAYING.  It's as simple as that.

The lottery is NOT a tax on the poor.  By calling it a tax, you are calling it mandatory, which is what taxes are.  But the lottery is NOT mandatory, therefore calling it a tax highly inaccurate.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                          Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4103 Posts
                          Posted: August 24, 2014, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Then california needs to have its own multi million dollar lottery,  otherwise it is still unfair!  What about having a population advantage over most other states do you not understand?

Why don't you quit whining and move to California- if you won't or cannot, move to Florida or New Jersey seeing that they have seen more than a few jackpot winners as of late, the problem is not the population, it's picking the winning numbers.Colorado had its first winner a week or so ago- should the State have folded its tent awhile ago seeing that they had not produced a winner?

Wisconsin
                            United States
                            Member #104962
                            January 23, 2011
                            1075 Posts
                            Posted: August 24, 2014, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

If you believe that 38,000,000>1,000,000 or 1+1=2, then you and others should accept it... it's math.

You and the stack47 just made the case for people to boycott mega millions and powerball,  thanks for the help on that! 

Trump 2016!

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                              Los Angeles, California
                              United States
                              Member #149492
                              December 2, 2013
                              919 Posts
                              Posted: August 24, 2014, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

This guy even bitches about his own Wisconsin pick 5 game because his tiny town doesn't win, and can't understand why more winners are in Milwaukee and other larger populated areas of Wisconsin.

My first and last post in this stupid thread.

Page 4 of 11