Welcome Guest
You last visited October 23, 2017, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Matrix Change - April 15, 2015

Topic closed. 227 replies. Last post 2 years ago by weshar75.

Page 10 of 16
PrintE-mailLink
THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
12176 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2015, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

As long as you are not doing anything illegal to obtain the $2 necessary to purchase a Powerball ticket, you have the freedom to play whenever you want.  I have the freedom to have the minimum that I have as well.

Good luck to you and all of the lottery players out there.  I haven't played any lottery games in over nine months.

Are you saving the money to buy $5,200 worth of lottery tickets? Green laugh

US Flag

Albany
    United States
    Member #156363
    June 16, 2014
    18 Posts
    Posted: March 16, 2015, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

Are you saving the money to buy $5,200 worth of lottery tickets? Green laugh

It is good to know that somebody in this forum has enough disposable income to be able to spend $100 a week on lottery tickets.

I spent $150 once on The Big Game (Mega Millions' predecessor) in New Jersey, before the game was available in New York.  Otherwise, I don't even remember the last time I spent $100 on lottery tickets in a year.

Anyway, I haven't played in so long because I haven't felt lucky.  And looking back over the past nine months, I see that I haven't missed out on any net profits.

Since you live in New York, I should tell you that the last drawing of Sweet Million on June 12, 2014 was the last time I played any lottery games.  I came away empty-handed on $7 worth of games from that drawing.  I haven't played any lottery games since.  Not the Mega Millions drawing in November that went up to $326 million.  Not the Powerball drawing that went up to $564.1 million last month.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      20144 Posts
      Posted: March 16, 2015, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

If it's true then this PB jackpot may be the last one to be easily won, so all you hopeful potential winners better get busy.  Good luck.

I was wrong, there may be time to win another PB jackpot before the matrix change.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning one * 

Evil Looking       

United States
        Member #34931
        March 9, 2006
        100 Posts
        Posted: March 24, 2015, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

"the main problem is there are just too many lottery games period. MM, PB, a plethora of state level games like Cash 5 etcetera with new state games being introduced all the time, Pick 3 and 4, All or Nothing, scratchers"

Interesting sales stats in "the packet" for state lottery commission meetings.

Arizona example . . 70% scratchers . . 30% draw games (14% Powerball . . 6% Mega Millions) . . source.

butch2030's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
          The KEY ingredient is Combos & Patterns
          Elgin, IL
          United States
          Member #68867
          January 1, 2009
          1250 Posts
          Posted: April 13, 2015, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

There has been no announcement of a Poweball Matrix change -- So is this 4/15/2015 change FACT or Fiction?????  To me it looks like it is Fiction..............

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
            Member #131594
            August 14, 2012
            171 Posts
            Posted: April 13, 2015, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

There has been no announcement of a Poweball Matrix change -- So is this 4/15/2015 change FACT or Fiction?????  To me it looks like it is Fiction..............

It was fact.  In fact, I remember seeing several lotteries (Flordia and Illinois come to mind) that had either stopped their subscriptions or announced a step down in their dates for advanced draws earlier this year.

If you read through all of the posts in this thread you will see that the states decided to postpone the change due to the whole monopoly draw game debacle.  The last thing I saw was that they were now thinkng of a July timeframe for the change.

Thanks to LottoMetro for keeping us all updated!

Lotto Lucy

butch2030's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
              The KEY ingredient is Combos & Patterns
              Elgin, IL
              United States
              Member #68867
              January 1, 2009
              1250 Posts
              Posted: April 14, 2015, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

It was fact.  In fact, I remember seeing several lotteries (Flordia and Illinois come to mind) that had either stopped their subscriptions or announced a step down in their dates for advanced draws earlier this year.

If you read through all of the posts in this thread you will see that the states decided to postpone the change due to the whole monopoly draw game debacle.  The last thing I saw was that they were now thinkng of a July timeframe for the change.

Thanks to LottoMetro for keeping us all updated!

Thanks for the info.  I went to the Illinois site, but could not find anything relating to the matrix change.  I am from IL & I went to where I buy my tickets & they were not aware of any pending change to the Powerball.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                Marquette, MI
                United States
                Member #20541
                August 20, 2005
                758 Posts
                Posted: April 14, 2015, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Matrix change = quitting time!

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                  Happyland
                  United States
                  Member #146344
                  September 1, 2013
                  1139 Posts
                  Posted: April 14, 2015, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the info.  I went to the Illinois site, but could not find anything relating to the matrix change.  I am from IL & I went to where I buy my tickets & they were not aware of any pending change to the Powerball.

They delayed it after reading the responses in this thread and especially those in the MMC threads. Just kidding LOL

You can read about the delay from April to July here: http://www.lafleurs.com/assets/LaFleursMagazineOnlineJanuaryFebruary/index.html#16

I don't know if Illinois had released the timeline for subscriptions/advance draws to their retailers before the delay was made, but I know Virginia and Florida did. Some states have actually already approved the new rules, just waiting on MUSL to finalize any amendments.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                  If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
                  P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

LottoLucy's avatar - hereslucy header.jpg

United States
                    Member #131594
                    August 14, 2012
                    171 Posts
                    Posted: April 14, 2015, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

You are welcome!

This is from the Illinois Lottery Powerball FAQ page:

Why Can't I Buy A 52-Week Or 26-Week Subscription For Powerball Anymore?

Your favorite game is getting even better! The Powerball game will be changing in the near future. We are temporarily suspending Powerball 52-week and 26-week subscription purchases until the game changes take effect. You can purchase a 13-week subscription or one of our other multi-play options. More details on Powerball changes will be coming soon

I can't remember for sure but when I orginially noticed this I believe it actually mentioned April as the time frame of the change.  Although I look at so much lottery stuff it kind of runs together.  :-)

Lotto Lucy

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                      Marquette, MI
                      United States
                      Member #20541
                      August 20, 2005
                      758 Posts
                      Posted: April 15, 2015, 10:25 am - IP Logged

They delayed it after reading the responses in this thread and especially those in the MMC threads. Just kidding LOL

You can read about the delay from April to July here: http://www.lafleurs.com/assets/LaFleursMagazineOnlineJanuaryFebruary/index.html#16

I don't know if Illinois had released the timeline for subscriptions/advance draws to their retailers before the delay was made, but I know Virginia and Florida did. Some states have actually already approved the new rules, just waiting on MUSL to finalize any amendments.

Q. When is $40 Million not enough?

A.  When you are not sure what the government is going to do with taxes you can't figure out whether to take the cash or annuity.
                           certainly it would be a nice annuity if the tax system didn't keep changing and getting worse.  Does anyone on here know if
                           The 3.8% Obamacare tax surcharge applies to the lottery annuities?

A.  The lump sum for $40 million after taxes is chump change considering you are beating
                           once is several lifetime odds.  IE the prize to odds ratio isn't great at the $40M point.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                        San Angelo, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #1097
                        January 31, 2003
                        1475 Posts
                        Posted: April 21, 2015, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Here is an extract of comments made April 9 by a lottery official who was briefing Texas Lottery Commission members
                        on addition of a new draw game:

..." MUSL was working to propose changes to the Powerball Game. So

from fall until just about now, there's been ongoing

discussions in the industry in preparation for a new

version of the Powerball Game, and that game was

originally anticipated to be starting right about now,

right in the spring of 2015. That game has been

delayed. Changes to Powerball have been delayed. There

are ongoing discussions taking place right now about

potential game changes.
                         So what this means for us is this actual

delay with Powerball has actually opened up a slot for

us in our product launch calendar. And so we

slotted late September in as our opportunity to finally

be able to launch the Texas Triple Chance Game, and so

staff is working to make that happen right now as we

speak. And we'll just have to continue to monitor

developments with Powerball and see where that game

change or where those changes could integrate into our

calendar beyond that September date.

Seems introduction of a new Powerball game has been placed on hold.

Happyland
                          United States
                          Member #146344
                          September 1, 2013
                          1139 Posts
                          Posted: April 21, 2015, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Here is an extract of comments made April 9 by a lottery official who was briefing Texas Lottery Commission members
                          on addition of a new draw game:

..." MUSL was working to propose changes to the Powerball Game. So

from fall until just about now, there's been ongoing

discussions in the industry in preparation for a new

version of the Powerball Game, and that game was

originally anticipated to be starting right about now,

right in the spring of 2015. That game has been

delayed. Changes to Powerball have been delayed. There

are ongoing discussions taking place right now about

potential game changes.
                           So what this means for us is this actual

delay with Powerball has actually opened up a slot for

us in our product launch calendar. And so we

slotted late September in as our opportunity to finally

be able to launch the Texas Triple Chance Game, and so

staff is working to make that happen right now as we

speak. And we'll just have to continue to monitor

developments with Powerball and see where that game

change or where those changes could integrate into our

calendar beyond that September date.

Seems introduction of a new Powerball game has been placed on hold.

Yes, right now MUSL is targeting July. I honestly don't see them waiting beyond that. Tiny probability they might, and decide to swing for an October launch, as they tend to do launches in the fall. But the game's sales probably aren't going to improve much better between now and then, and the new design is basically done as far as the changes go. They've been done for awhile, but decided to make a few more tweaks to 2nd chance. Now it's just about getting everyone to agree with the changes. The MUSL group of lotteries isn't all agreeable as you would think. Some of the bigger lotteries are often at odds with each other. It took tooth and nail to get MMC finalized and passed, and it hasn't done much for states' confidence.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                            Columbus, Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #128906
                            June 5, 2012
                            599 Posts
                            Posted: April 24, 2015, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Matrix change = quitting time!

I also agree, I stopped playing mega millions because of the change and I will do the same if this goes thru.  For the few weekly winners (5 balls) they are still making a ton off us.

Happyland
                              United States
                              Member #146344
                              September 1, 2013
                              1139 Posts
                              Posted: April 25, 2015, 10:03 am - IP Logged

Well I doubt this game will go through as what we've seen here. The PB matrix change was suspended because it was too confusing for retailers to explain to players (hmmm...sound familiar?). Until they make it simple, like current and past formats, it will not get much support.

Going back to my mention of one (or more) jurisdictions leaving Powerball, I have a little more info on that. There are currently several lotteries quietly developing their own new multi-state jackpot game for the fall of 2016. I do not yet know the details i.e. matrix, or whether they will use that to replace Powerball, but I think that this development is interestingly coincidental.

Page 10 of 16