Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 8:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Matrix Change - April 15, 2015

Topic closed. 227 replies. Last post 1 year ago by weshar75.

Page 4 of 16
PrintE-mailLink
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
11982 Posts
Posted: December 12, 2014, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

She's the Dragon Lady? I thought that was someone else. LOL

No, I am not her. Isn't that someone who players dislike? I think she's hilarious.

I think that she runs the Tennessee Lottery and the new Monopoly Millionaires' Club lottery game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/business/18queen.html?ref=jackpot

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    Happyland
    United States
    Member #146344
    September 1, 2013
    1129 Posts
    Posted: December 12, 2014, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

I think that she runs the Tennessee Lottery and the new Monopoly Millionaires' Club lottery game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/business/18queen.html?ref=jackpot

Yes, she is chair of the NPG (Monopoly) steering committee and co-chair of the game show committee.

I think it was Paula Otto (VA) who I thought was the Dragon Lady Green laugh

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
    If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
    P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

NEW YORK
      United States
      Member #90535
      April 29, 2010
      11982 Posts
      Posted: December 12, 2014, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

Yes, she is chair of the NPG (Monopoly) steering committee and co-chair of the game show committee.

Ridge Runner used to mention her as the Dragon Lady. Maybe Todd can explain why they call  her like that.LOL

US Flag

NEW YORK
        United States
        Member #90535
        April 29, 2010
        11982 Posts
        Posted: December 12, 2014, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

Dragon Lady?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Lady

US Flag

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10353 Posts
          Posted: December 12, 2014, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

In my previous post (first reply to the OP) I said good for those going for 5 + 1 but I meant to say those going for 5 + 0.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NEW YORK
            United States
            Member #90535
            April 29, 2010
            11982 Posts
            Posted: December 12, 2014, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

In my previous post (first reply to the OP) I said good for those going for 5 + 1 but I meant to say those going for 5 + 0.

Do you like the new Powerball lottery game matrix starting in 2015?

US Flag

NEW YORK
              United States
              Member #90535
              April 29, 2010
              11982 Posts
              Posted: December 12, 2014, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

YOU CAN USE TIME TRAVEL TO BEAT THE LOTTERY? LOL

US Flag

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                Marquette, MI
                United States
                Member #20541
                August 20, 2005
                705 Posts
                Posted: December 12, 2014, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

Yay!  They are making this easier.  With the higher odds and the lower second prize I can stop playing this game also.  It is going the way of MMC.

$1,000,000 after taxes aint what it used to be.

It should be at least 5,000,000 if not 10,000,000 for second prize.  A lump of  a million is about half that after taxes.

500,000 for beating 10,000,000 to One second place odds?

HA!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                  Mcminnville, Oregon
                  United States
                  Member #3013
                  December 13, 2003
                  3052 Posts
                  Posted: December 12, 2014, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

I guess I will never power up once the new matrix starts because bye the way it is explained you can only win at the most $10 million for first place.  Were as if you just spend $2 each time you will be able to get the jackpot.  I am reading that right or wrong?  Just curious because bye the way it is explained you can't win the jackpot when you power up your ticket and if I beat those kind of odds to hit a nice jackpot I do not want $10 million when for $2 I can have $100 million +.  Can a fellow poster explain the power up feature to me please or am I right that you do not get the jackpot if you buy power up for $3.-weshar75

US Flag

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4108 Posts
                    Posted: December 12, 2014, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

I guess at this point none of can afford to hold off not winning this thing. Time is definitely not on our side..

So all of you with your crystal balls & Palantirs better make good use of them.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

Wyomissing, PA
                      United States
                      Member #161050
                      November 15, 2014
                      301 Posts
                      Posted: December 13, 2014, 9:34 am - IP Logged

I guess I will never power up once the new matrix starts because bye the way it is explained you can only win at the most $10 million for first place.  Were as if you just spend $2 each time you will be able to get the jackpot.  I am reading that right or wrong?  Just curious because bye the way it is explained you can't win the jackpot when you power up your ticket and if I beat those kind of odds to hit a nice jackpot I do not want $10 million when for $2 I can have $100 million +.  Can a fellow poster explain the power up feature to me please or am I right that you do not get the jackpot if you buy power up for $3.-weshar75

US Flag

Matching all 5 plus powerball, regardless of how one plays the ticket, still wins the jackpot - same as now. For players only focused on the jackpot, they can ignore the extras and simply play $2 per line - same as now.

As for how the Power Up feature will work isn't exactly clear. Thought I had it figured out, but after re-reading the thread, I wonder if the prize chart LottoMetro posted is what they're really going with. Doesn't make much sense to spend an extra dollar for chance to replay the same game with only a $10 million dollar payout. It would be more sensible for match 5 with Power Up to pay $10 million, but the matrix LottoMetro posted indicates that's for match 5 plus powerball...

If that's really true, Powerball is setting itself up for a PR nightmare. Presumably, some players who hit in the second chance draw (assuming that's part of the Power Up feature) will wonder why they're only getting $10 million; public at-large will be confused as to why some who match 5 plus powerball received the jackpot and others didn't. Second chance draw is a disaster waiting to happen, and hopefully lottery officials will recognize that before it's too late.

In my view, a better, more productive change would be increasing the overall payout percentage to around 65%-75% (similar to that of many instant tickets), and allocate some of that towards growing the jackpot faster along with increased prizes for lower tiers. The main, underlying reason for the games getting so complicated and convoluted is the overall 50% payout limit - increasing that leads to more winners, simplified games, and increased player satisfaction.

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                        Happyland
                        United States
                        Member #146344
                        September 1, 2013
                        1129 Posts
                        Posted: December 13, 2014, 11:57 am - IP Logged

Matching all 5 plus powerball, regardless of how one plays the ticket, still wins the jackpot - same as now. For players only focused on the jackpot, they can ignore the extras and simply play $2 per line - same as now.

As for how the Power Up feature will work isn't exactly clear. Thought I had it figured out, but after re-reading the thread, I wonder if the prize chart LottoMetro posted is what they're really going with. Doesn't make much sense to spend an extra dollar for chance to replay the same game with only a $10 million dollar payout. It would be more sensible for match 5 with Power Up to pay $10 million, but the matrix LottoMetro posted indicates that's for match 5 plus powerball...

If that's really true, Powerball is setting itself up for a PR nightmare. Presumably, some players who hit in the second chance draw (assuming that's part of the Power Up feature) will wonder why they're only getting $10 million; public at-large will be confused as to why some who match 5 plus powerball received the jackpot and others didn't. Second chance draw is a disaster waiting to happen, and hopefully lottery officials will recognize that before it's too late.

In my view, a better, more productive change would be increasing the overall payout percentage to around 65%-75% (similar to that of many instant tickets), and allocate some of that towards growing the jackpot faster along with increased prizes for lower tiers. The main, underlying reason for the games getting so complicated and convoluted is the overall 50% payout limit - increasing that leads to more winners, simplified games, and increased player satisfaction.

Someone gets it......really it boils down to payouts. Massachusetts lottery is pretty much the only one who gets it. They (industry people) asked Beth (director), "How are you doing so well?" She looked on the spot and awkward because she knew she was giving them an answer they didn't want to hear...."raised payouts." 

Green laugh

Anyway, I am back to being nearly 100% certain that the Power Up is a separate drawing. Rules clearly state, "Winning Power Up is achieved only when the following combinations of numbers selected by the player match, in any order, the five plus one winning numbers drawn in the Power Up drawing conducted by MUSL." (it proceeds to name the winning tiers)

There is also a section in the introduction which says, "....allows players the option to pay an additional one dollar ($1) for a chance to win in the subsequent drawing held specifically for Power Up."

It also gives guidelines for equipment and says all Power Up drawings are open to the public, which leads me to believe it will be ball drawn. Have been getting the vibe it is separate, and the fact that they are calling the $10 million a top prize too.

I want it not to be true because that kind of complexity would make it MMC: Part 2, a PR disaster as you say. I secretly hope that some of the changes considered recently included dumping this idea for a second drawing after the new matrix and just making it a higher multiplier or something. Since the PB change was proposed before MMC launched, hopefully someone will stand up and say, "MMC didn't go so well, so let's re-evaluate this."

SGI is the one who came up with the game btw (heard some witch-hunters in the other thread demanding responsible heads) LOL

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                          NY
                          United States
                          Member #121961
                          January 21, 2012
                          3157 Posts
                          Posted: December 13, 2014, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

Looks like PB isn't the only change for next year.

As of Sunday, September 28, sales of Lucky for Life Season Tickets have been temporarily suspended until the new matrix goes into effect on January 27, 2015.

The new matrix will offer larger lower-tier prizes and better odds at winning the top prize of $1,000 a day – every day – for life.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4792 Posts
                            Posted: December 13, 2014, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

So the 2nd tier prize does not change?  I always play for it.  They ruined MM and now PB.

J'aime La France.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                              JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                              Member #141034
                              April 2, 2013
                              1408 Posts
                              Posted: December 13, 2014, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

BedWake me up when the multiplier is also applied to 5 of 5 {2nd prize} Bed.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Page 4 of 16