Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Matrix Change - April 15, 2015

Topic closed. 227 replies. Last post 1 year ago by weshar75.

Page 9 of 16
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: February 16, 2015, 9:32 am - IP Logged

Haven't updated this thread in awhile, but this is something I should amend:

Powerball Matrix Change - July 2015

Everyone was gung-ho about the April launch but I think MMC gave lotteries cold feet. So they are going to take more time to work on the revised PB. They are still tweaking the game, and it looks like it will be finalized by early summer. As far as I know, the core proposed matrix isn't changing, though. We'll see Disapprove

Hi LottoMetro,

Glad to hear the change will not go into effect until July of this year. I was re-reading these posts and if I play at all after the change will just stick to the 2 dollar ticket once in a while and will not do the Power Up. When I play the PB or even MM (very rarely play MM anymore), I have always played in hopes of winning 2nd place, since the jackpot odds are so astronomical. Right now I always spend the extra dollar for the Powerplay in hopes of winning the 2 million (minus taxes) second prize. With the new matrix 2nd place with Power Up is just 500k (minus taxes) that is a big difference from current 2nd place with Powerplay. Also winning the top prize of 10 Million on the Power Up with odds of 1 out of 268 million are still awful. I am better off playing a scratch ticket with 10 million as top prize since odds are 1 out of 5 million (though taking the lump sum on the 10 million scratch ticket is far less). I am very depressed about the new changes in PB.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
    Marquette, MI
    United States
    Member #20541
    August 20, 2005
    705 Posts
    Posted: February 16, 2015, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Haven't updated this thread in awhile, but this is something I should amend:

Powerball Matrix Change - July 2015

Everyone was gung-ho about the April launch but I think MMC gave lotteries cold feet. So they are going to take more time to work on the revised PB. They are still tweaking the game, and it looks like it will be finalized by early summer. As far as I know, the core proposed matrix isn't changing, though. We'll see Disapprove

We just had a record Jackpot and ticket sales in my state supported a Second prize very easily but we got no second prizePuke

Now the odds of second prize are getting way worse and the prize is going down...yay.

I'll play the new matrix when the cash value goes above 1 billion...not cause I wouldn't take way less but because I have played so long and they just keep making it harder and harder to win.

To MUSL I say Blow MeDoh

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
      Happyland
      United States
      Member #146344
      September 1, 2013
      1129 Posts
      Posted: February 16, 2015, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

Hi LottoMetro,

Glad to hear the change will not go into effect until July of this year. I was re-reading these posts and if I play at all after the change will just stick to the 2 dollar ticket once in a while and will not do the Power Up. When I play the PB or even MM (very rarely play MM anymore), I have always played in hopes of winning 2nd place, since the jackpot odds are so astronomical. Right now I always spend the extra dollar for the Powerplay in hopes of winning the 2 million (minus taxes) second prize. With the new matrix 2nd place with Power Up is just 500k (minus taxes) that is a big difference from current 2nd place with Powerplay. Also winning the top prize of 10 Million on the Power Up with odds of 1 out of 268 million are still awful. I am better off playing a scratch ticket with 10 million as top prize since odds are 1 out of 5 million (though taking the lump sum on the 10 million scratch ticket is far less). I am very depressed about the new changes in PB.

I am thinking that some players must've voiced the same concerns as you (after all, it was publicly introduced in rule proposals for several states late last year).

This may have lead the Powerball Group to come together and call for a pause, especially after the MMC disaster. Even though that took 5 years to develop it still flopped, but the new PB changes have only been on the books since 2013 I believe. So perhaps they want to do more market research just to be sure that players will embrace the changes.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
        Member #158848
        September 5, 2014
        294 Posts
        Posted: February 17, 2015, 4:23 am - IP Logged

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Leave the matrix alone. It's just fine the way it is now.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: February 17, 2015, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

"It's just fine the way it is now."

It only looks that way because you're a player instead of a bureaucrat. Revenue is down, and they think they can change that. I'd think that if any of them had a room temperature IQ they'd remember what happened right before they settled on the current format and maybe even learn a lesson from it, but I guess I'm overly optimistic.

IIRC, they weren't even trying to fix declining revenue, per se. There was simply an unusually long period without a really big jackpot, so they decided to jack up the odds to (again, IIRC) about 1 in 210  million. The result was so bad that it was only a very short time before they reduced the odds to the current 1 in 175 million, while doubling the ticket price. Of course ticket sales declined, but since each ticket costs twice as much revenue went up.

Even if they don't remember screwing it up that time, you'd think they might be aware of what's going on with MM. MM took the same approach of raising the odds to boost jackpots, and sales have declined.I don't think there's an easy fix, and there may not be any fix.

United States
            Member #158848
            September 5, 2014
            294 Posts
            Posted: February 17, 2015, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

Increasing the size of the matrix didn't help MM, in fact it turned a lot of players off. I played MM regularly when the matrix was smaller, but since they increased it I don't play MM at all until the jackpot reaches at least $250 to $300 mill. If PB increases the size of their matrix, I predict that it won't help them either.

IMHO, the main problem is there are just too many lottery games period. MM, PB, a plethora of state level games like Cash 5 etcetera with new state games being introduced all the time, Pick 3 and 4, All or Nothing, scratchers - and on and on and on, ad nauseam.

I was quite frankly happy to see Monopoly Millionaires Club crash and burn so quickly, and I hope they don't try to resurrect it. $5 per ticket assured the game would be an epic fail. I wish for the quick demise of All or Nothing also - games with computer generated numbers don't tickle my fancy, to put it mildly.

Lotteries are a business, and the folks at PB need to understand that revenues and profits just aren't going to keep going up and up every year, regardless of what they do. IMHO, about the only thing that might help is getting rid of a lot of the redundant and essentially worthless state games, but PB doesn't have the power/authority to do that. It is what it is, and there simply might not be a solution to the problem, at least at this point in time.

United States
              Member #149820
              December 9, 2013
              644 Posts
              Posted: February 17, 2015, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

Increasing the size of the matrix didn't help MM, in fact it turned a lot of players off. I played MM regularly when the matrix was smaller, but since they increased it I don't play MM at all until the jackpot reaches at least $250 to $300 mill. If PB increases the size of their matrix, I predict that it won't help them either.

IMHO, the main problem is there are just too many lottery games period. MM, PB, a plethora of state level games like Cash 5 etcetera with new state games being introduced all the time, Pick 3 and 4, All or Nothing, scratchers - and on and on and on, ad nauseam.

I was quite frankly happy to see Monopoly Millionaires Club crash and burn so quickly, and I hope they don't try to resurrect it. $5 per ticket assured the game would be an epic fail. I wish for the quick demise of All or Nothing also - games with computer generated numbers don't tickle my fancy, to put it mildly.

Lotteries are a business, and the folks at PB need to understand that revenues and profits just aren't going to keep going up and up every year, regardless of what they do. IMHO, about the only thing that might help is getting rid of a lot of the redundant and essentially worthless state games, but PB doesn't have the power/authority to do that. It is what it is, and there simply might not be a solution to the problem, at least at this point in time.

Have to diaagree with you there scratch I love the new All or nothing game here in NC. We've a more jackpot winners than I thought we would on that one also I see alot more lower tier winners on that one too. I know a bucnh of people who love playing it including myself I actually won $50 bucks on it twice and that's more than Ive ever won in 6 and 8 years playing mega millions and powerball

United States
                Member #158848
                September 5, 2014
                294 Posts
                Posted: February 17, 2015, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

Have to diaagree with you there scratch I love the new All or nothing game here in NC. We've a more jackpot winners than I thought we would on that one also I see alot more lower tier winners on that one too. I know a bucnh of people who love playing it including myself I actually won $50 bucks on it twice and that's more than Ive ever won in 6 and 8 years playing mega millions and powerball

To each his/her own. You have your opinion, I have mine. 

However, I follow the NC lottery fairly closely, and I have yet to hear of all these All or Nothing jackpot winners you speak of. Can you provide some documentation on that claim?

From what I understand and have seen on Lottery Post, Texas has had All or Nothing longer than NC, and has four draws per day. Yet according to everything I've read, there have been precious few jackpot winners in Texas, which has far more players than NC.

I stand by my opinion that there are simply too many lottery games of all types out there, and that player dollars are just spread too thin among them. This causes major entities like Powerball and Mega Millions to look for and adopt solutions that are usually dubious at best, and frequently a monumental fail.

Cheers!   Smiley

Albany
                  United States
                  Member #156363
                  June 16, 2014
                  17 Posts
                  Posted: March 1, 2015, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

The Powerball jackpot of February 11 was $564.1 million annuitized.  With the new odds being close to 1 out of 286 million per game, the per dollar odds are actually close to 1 out of 572 million.  The February 11 jackpot was less than the per dollar odds of the new Powerball game.

Being a "dollars must be greater than the per-dollar odds" person, I wouldn't play the new Powerball at that February 11 jackpot amount.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5592 Posts
                    Posted: March 1, 2015, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

The Powerball jackpot of February 11 was $564.1 million annuitized.  With the new odds being close to 1 out of 286 million per game, the per dollar odds are actually close to 1 out of 572 million.  The February 11 jackpot was less than the per dollar odds of the new Powerball game.

Being a "dollars must be greater than the per-dollar odds" person, I wouldn't play the new Powerball at that February 11 jackpot amount.

The matrix hasn't changed yet. It was scheduled to change, but MUSL has put it off until around July, if then.

I don't know about you, but even the starting jackpot is worth a $2 bet for me. I don't care what the odds are at this point. It only takes one tic.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

DetroitLionBoy's avatar - Detroit01

United States
                      Member #159085
                      September 12, 2014
                      111 Posts
                      Posted: March 1, 2015, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

The matrix hasn't changed yet. It was scheduled to change, but MUSL has put it off until around July, if then.

I don't know about you, but even the starting jackpot is worth a $2 bet for me. I don't care what the odds are at this point. It only takes one tic.

whats the starting jackpot? and how much does it increase by

Cash 4 life 3/5 numbers= $25 (9/1/14)
                      TAKE 5 4/5 numbers= $775.00 (2/21/15)

im bound to win the jackpot!!  Cool

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5592 Posts
                        Posted: March 1, 2015, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

whats the starting jackpot? and how much does it increase by

Your state lottery website should have all the gory details for MM and PB. I assume you live in MI, being a Detroit Lion fan.

At any rate PB jackpots start at $40 million annuity, which would be approximately $25 million cash value. Increases by at least $10 mill each roll if no one wins it. When it gets higher, as around $100 million, it will increase more than $10 each roll. Did you watch PB when the jackpot was over $500 million and won by three winners in February?

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19825 Posts
                          Posted: March 2, 2015, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

I think there are a few threads about this and I recall posting back in April or so when I first found out that a matrix change was coming to Powerball. Well, I finally got the details. Yes, folks, a change is real and it is coming and it is ugly. Get ready to scream. Crazy

Main points:

• Tickets are staying $2.00
                          • 5/66 + 1/32 matrix (yes, 1 in 285,981,696)
                          • Multiplier from 2X to 10X
                          • NO extra cost* for multiplier
                          • Overall odds of 1 in 30

I say worse because I did not expect them to take the jackpot odds to go that far.

The rules I have are a draft and there is no mention of starting jackpot or minimum rollovers. I presume they remain the same.

Early stages of analysis here so bear with me, but that is the story! Thumbs Up

*Currently verifying, but sounds right given the drastic change in odds.

Match TierBase Odds (1:X)Base PrizeMultiplier "2" (min.)Multiplier "3"Multiplier "4"Multiplier "5"Multiplier "10"
                          5 of 5 + PB285,981,696.00JackpotJackpotJackpotJackpotJackpotJackpot
                          5 of 59,225,216.00$1,000,000$1,000,000$1,000,000$1,000,000$1,000,000$1,000,000
                          4 of 5 + PB937,644.90$10,000$20,000$30,000$40,000$50,000$100,000
                          4 of 530,246.61$100$200$300$400$500$1,000
                          3 of 5 + PB15,627.42$100$200$300$400$500$1,000
                          3 of 5504.11$7$14$21$28$35$70
                          2 of 5 + PB794.61$7$14$21$28$35$70
                          1 + PB109.60$2$4$6$8$10$20
                          PB48.07$2$4$6$8$10$20
                          Overall30.06- -----

If it's true then this PB jackpot may be the last one to be easily won, so all you hopeful potential winners better get busy.  Good luck.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Groppo's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                            Member #162631
                            January 7, 2015
                            502 Posts
                            Posted: March 2, 2015, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

I think there are a few threads about this and I recall posting back in April or so when I first found out that a matrix change was coming to Powerball. Well, I finally got the details. Yes, folks, a change is real and it is coming and it is ugly. Get ready to scream. Crazy

Main points:

• Tickets are staying $2.00
                            • 5/66 + 1/32 matrix (yes, 1 in 285,981,696)
                            • Multiplier from 2X to 10X
                            • NO extra cost* for multiplier
                            • Overall odds of 1 in 30

I say worse because I did not expect them to take the jackpot odds to go that far.

The rules I have are a draft and there is no mention of starting jackpot or minimum rollovers. I presume they remain the same.

Early stages of analysis here so bear with me, but that is the story! Thumbs Up

*Currently verifying, but sounds right given the drastic change in odds.

Match TierBase Odds (1:X)Base PrizeMultiplier "2" (min.)Multiplier "3"Multiplier "4"Multiplier "5"Multiplier "10"
                            5 of 5 + PB285,981,696.00JackpotJackpotJackpotJackpotJackpotJackpot
                            5 of 59,225,216.00$1,000,000$1,000,000$1,000,000$1,000,000$1,000,000$1,000,000
                            4 of 5 + PB937,644.90$10,000$20,000$30,000$40,000$50,000$100,000
                            4 of 530,246.61$100$200$300$400$500$1,000
                            3 of 5 + PB15,627.42$100$200$300$400$500$1,000
                            3 of 5504.11$7$14$21$28$35$70
                            2 of 5 + PB794.61$7$14$21$28$35$70
                            1 + PB109.60$2$4$6$8$10$20
                            PB48.07$2$4$6$8$10$20
                            Overall30.06- -----

Why would I want to scream?

It's lotto. We play it voluntarily.

Find a number set or sets to play.   And play them consistently - every week, both lottos.

Albany
                              United States
                              Member #156363
                              June 16, 2014
                              17 Posts
                              Posted: March 13, 2015, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

As long as you are not doing anything illegal to obtain the $2 necessary to purchase a Powerball ticket, you have the freedom to play whenever you want.  I have the freedom to have the minimum that I have as well.

Good luck to you and all of the lottery players out there.  I haven't played any lottery games in over nine months.

Page 9 of 16