Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you ready for the attention?

Topic closed. 184 replies. Last post 11 months ago by AlecWest.

Page 1 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

Do you REALLY want to win a billion dollar jackpot?

Yes [ 79 ]  [70.54%]
No [ 14 ]  [12.50%]
Would rather share such a huge prize. [ 19 ]  [16.96%]
Total Valid Votes [ 112 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
travelintrucker's avatar - morph
Greenville, SC
United States
Member #169870
November 4, 2015
374 Posts
Posted: November 23, 2015, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

Humor this. We finally achieve the "billion dollar Powerball jackpot." Do you really want to be the sole winner? Are you ready for the media attention? You're pretty much going to be forced in to the 'A' list club. I believe if there's only one winner, there's going to be a lot of social pressure to make the winner known to the public. Anonymity will go out the window even in an anonymous state. In fact, it'd probably better to willingly come forward to protect other jackpot winner's anonymity. There hasn't been a lot of media attention on Gloria Mackenzie since her big win. However, I think things will be different if you're an overnight billionaire. Think Edtv. I personally think I could handle it. The first thing I'd do is hire about 5 security guards. What are your thoughts on the subject?

May the balls bounce in your favor!

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #165541
    April 12, 2015
    545 Posts
    Posted: November 23, 2015, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Humor this. We finally achieve the "billion dollar Powerball jackpot." Do you really want to be the sole winner? Are you ready for the media attention? You're pretty much going to be forced in to the 'A' list club. I believe if there's only one winner, there's going to be a lot of social pressure to make the winner known to the public. Anonymity will go out the window even in an anonymous state. In fact, it'd probably better to willingly come forward to protect other jackpot winner's anonymity. There hasn't been a lot of media attention on Gloria Mackenzie since her big win. However, I think things will be different if you're an overnight billionaire. Think Edtv. I personally think I could handle it. The first thing I'd do is hire about 5 security guards. What are your thoughts on the subject?

I am not ready for the attention.  That is why I dont solicit the Kardashian women for sex. lol

A billion dollars JP plus a kardashian chick?  Lions and tigers and bears, ...

I am sexy as fudge, like Matthew, so I know what I am talking typing about. lol

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
      Happyland
      United States
      Member #146344
      September 1, 2013
      1129 Posts
      Posted: November 23, 2015, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

I have been on the receiving end of media attention and the first thing I did was eliminate all social media and digital presence, and that cut down on the focus immensely. If you have a readily accessible history or connection online they will jump on that and feed on it.

If or when I win a billion I would most certainly claim it as anonymously as possible, i.e. through a trust.

So, the attention, I think I could mostly avoid. The urge to go on shopping spree, not so much LOL

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
      If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
      P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
        Member #118609
        November 4, 2011
        939 Posts
        Posted: November 23, 2015, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

No way.  First I dont think we will ever see a billion dollar lottery, secondly, net $30 million is more than enough for me, my inner circle, tithing, special interests i.e. animal shelters, veterans.  Besides how much is enough, how many cars and houses can one use?

To whom much is given, much will be required. 

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4110 Posts
          Posted: November 23, 2015, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

Tell you what : Let me win the Billion Dollars First, then come back and ask me if l am up for the attention. Sounds fair...right?

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3475 Posts
            Posted: November 24, 2015, 1:48 am - IP Logged

No pain, no gain. Nobody who isn't delusional wants the publicity, but I'd be willing to accept it for the net on a $1 billion advertised jackpot.

"I dont think we will ever see a billion dollar lottery"

A few years back you probably though we'd never see a jackpot of $656 million, but MM got there with odds about 60% lower and each ticket contributing about 31 cents to the jackpot prize pool. If that jackpot had been based on the current prize pool structure of PB each ticket would contribute about twice as much, resulting in a cash value jackpot closing in on $950 million. Based on the current annuity to cash ratio for PB the annuity would have been advertised at about $1.53 billion. With odds that are about 1.65 times as bad there's a much better chance it would have rolled again. If sales for a subsequent drawing  were the same as for the winning drawing the cash value would have gone up to about $1.35 billion and an advertised annuity in the neighborhood of $2.2 billion.

Current sales for PB mean it takes longer for the jackpot to build, but the chances of getting that big are still a function of the odds, and the higher odds make it significantly more likely for PB to sell that many tickets before producing a winner than it was for MM. The only thing that will prevent this matrix from producing an annuity of $1 billion is changing the matrix again before it happens.

Tialuvslotto's avatar - Jailin
              Texas
              United States
              Member #150797
              December 31, 2013
              815 Posts
              Posted: November 24, 2015, 7:24 am - IP Logged

I am not ready for the attention.  That is why I dont solicit the Kardashian women for sex. lol

A billion dollars JP plus a kardashian chick?  Lions and tigers and bears, ...

I am sexy as fudge, like Matthew, so I know what I am talking typing about. lol

mmmmm ...Fudge!           Sounds pretty sexy to me.

Thinking of...

Personally, I would not want to win a Billion $ JP.  I think the attention could get tiresome real quick (like in the first day!).  But I would be happy to share!

"There is no such thing as luck; only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."

~Robert A. Heinlein

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
                Member #133462
                September 30, 2012
                5946 Posts
                Posted: November 24, 2015, 7:58 am - IP Logged

The only people talking about Gloria today are LP members and her old bingo club. The media gets over lottery winners very fast unless they screw up or come into it with a sordid history and even then the story runs all of 2 days. You don't want to win a mega JP don't play when it gets at a certain level and risk winning it all.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #94283
                  July 17, 2010
                  2284 Posts
                  Posted: November 24, 2015, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Tell you what : Let me win the Billion Dollars First, then come back and ask me if l am up for the attention. Sounds fair...right?

Sure, if we can FIND you.

NYC
                    United States
                    Member #161115
                    November 17, 2014
                    126 Posts
                    Posted: November 24, 2015, 10:43 am - IP Logged

The only people talking about Gloria today are LP members and her old bingo club. The media gets over lottery winners very fast unless they screw up or come into it with a sordid history and even then the story runs all of 2 days. You don't want to win a mega JP don't play when it gets at a certain level and risk winning it all.

I'm surprise no one has taken advantage of her due to her age. Or tried to kidnap her fo a ransom. Maybe it hasn't made the news ?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19831 Posts
                      Posted: November 24, 2015, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

"There hasn't been a lot of media attention on Gloria Mackenzie since her big win. However, I think things will be different if you're an overnight billionaire."

Gloria didn't get the attention of PB winner Jack Whittaker because she did nothing to deserve it.  I suspect the same would apply to a "billion dollars PB jackpot winner".

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
                        Happy California
                        United States
                        Member #157856
                        August 2, 2014
                        1522 Posts
                        Posted: November 24, 2015, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

My first act during the press conference will be... Make it rain!  Pull out a wad of $100 dollar bills and throw them up into the air above the press and audience. Then they will descend like the rain does.

Then I would ask New York Lottery employee Yolanda Vega for a date. She is a spokesperson for the NY Lottery.

In other words, I would have fun.Party

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
                          Member #165541
                          April 12, 2015
                          545 Posts
                          Posted: November 24, 2015, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

First I want to apologize for my last post.  I was crunk!!

Speaking of crunk, noise-gate is definately taking trips to Boulder.

Let you win first?

You couldn't even hit fog if you were the golden gate bridge!!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                            Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4110 Posts
                            Posted: November 24, 2015, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

Sure, if we can FIND you.

That's the whole point. Hlk. Big Smile

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it- George Bernard Shaw.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                              Member #118609
                              November 4, 2011
                              939 Posts
                              Posted: November 24, 2015, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

No pain, no gain. Nobody who isn't delusional wants the publicity, but I'd be willing to accept it for the net on a $1 billion advertised jackpot.

"I dont think we will ever see a billion dollar lottery"

A few years back you probably though we'd never see a jackpot of $656 million, but MM got there with odds about 60% lower and each ticket contributing about 31 cents to the jackpot prize pool. If that jackpot had been based on the current prize pool structure of PB each ticket would contribute about twice as much, resulting in a cash value jackpot closing in on $950 million. Based on the current annuity to cash ratio for PB the annuity would have been advertised at about $1.53 billion. With odds that are about 1.65 times as bad there's a much better chance it would have rolled again. If sales for a subsequent drawing  were the same as for the winning drawing the cash value would have gone up to about $1.35 billion and an advertised annuity in the neighborhood of $2.2 billion.

Current sales for PB mean it takes longer for the jackpot to build, but the chances of getting that big are still a function of the odds, and the higher odds make it significantly more likely for PB to sell that many tickets before producing a winner than it was for MM. The only thing that will prevent this matrix from producing an annuity of $1 billion is changing the matrix again before it happens.

Well KY Floyd, stranger things have happened and I may have to eat my words lol.

Cant imagine a billion dollar lottery but I suppose it would be fun to experience (the exception is the notoriety).

Good luck to all of you wanting to be THE winner.

Page 1 of 13