Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you ready for the attention?

Topic closed. 184 replies. Last post 11 months ago by AlecWest.

Page 6 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

Do you REALLY want to win a billion dollar jackpot?

Yes [ 79 ]  [70.54%]
No [ 14 ]  [12.50%]
Would rather share such a huge prize. [ 19 ]  [16.96%]
Total Valid Votes [ 112 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
Member #142499
May 13, 2013
1182 Posts
Posted: December 17, 2015, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

I would like the attention from a big win. I would show all the negative people that have showed me disrespect. And prove that i was smart enough to succeed at whatever i set my mind too!

If I were you I'd leave that one alone. Every winner who's taken a dig at someone during their press conferences has had karma take a dim view of it. Victoria Zell made a dig at her husband. David Lee Edwards made a dig at his ex-wife and as irony would have it, she's the one who ended up taking care of him when he was dying. Just be gracious, say thank you and move on.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

United States
    Member #142499
    May 13, 2013
    1182 Posts
    Posted: December 17, 2015, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

Ahh, but you admit you are thinking, Teddi, and thinking will be your downfall.  As a sloth we don't even think about thinking.  How can your thinking even begin to compare with our ability to not think.  Our whole lives evolve around not thinking, even when we are thinking, so when our minds are allowed to lapse into a  gelatinous mass of unthinking goo there is no thinking, and your thinking can't compare to our innate ability to not think.  Think about that!

ROFLMAO!! But my thinking will keep me entertained so I could entertain myself and stay under the radar forever. That's got to beat your non-thinking.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

United States
      Member #106134
      February 13, 2011
      806 Posts
      Posted: December 18, 2015, 9:17 am - IP Logged

Being the sole winner of a billion $ jackpot is my ultimate dream.  I think the spotlight would be on me for about 15 minutes and then I'd be forgotten because I'd be way too boring to follow.  "Billion dollar lottery winner quits job and sleeps all day to catch up on years of sleep deprivation."  Yeah, real exciting LOL

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
        Member #142777
        May 18, 2013
        263 Posts
        Posted: December 18, 2015, 10:20 am - IP Logged

I would like the attention from a big win. I would show all the negative people that have showed me disrespect. And prove that i was smart enough to succeed at whatever i set my mind too!

Great attitude Elizabeth!Thumbs Up  Appear at the press conference and be happy and positive!  Take PRIDE in prosperity!  Don't hide or feel guilty for it!  You never said you were going to take a dig at anybody like teddi said!

To many guilt ridden citizens like teddi floating around.Crazy  The whole world suffers from this.  The education system and preachers have been promoting this guilt and pity show for decades and it has led to moral rot. Be prideful in your wealth.  ENJOY it right out in the open!

I begin to see that these people that want the money from a lottery but then say they won't appear at the press conference use the lie of "safety concerns" as cover for the real reason for not appearing.  They suffer the brain washing of guilt and pity.  Its not a sin to be prideful and enjoy your wealth for all to see. Give the glory to god and enjoy the fruits of your labor right out in the open!Big Grin

They brag on bill gates and company for giving all that money away.  They feel guilty!  Even middle class people feel guilty in relation to the poor!  Its just not fair! Guilt, pity, and envy is a dead end street.  High tax rates are not just envy driven.  Middle class people want higher taxes even for themselves so they can feel punished enough before they can enjoy whats left over.  Christ took the attonement for us on the cross so don't feel the need to punish yourself!

Would Donald Trump appear at the press conference?  You bet ya!Banana

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
          Member #106923
          February 27, 2011
          476 Posts
          Posted: December 18, 2015, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

ROFLMAO!! But my thinking will keep me entertained so I could entertain myself and stay under the radar forever. That's got to beat your non-thinking.

You're not going to trick me into thinking about your thinking as entertainment!  I am sure my compadre, Lejardin, does not think about thinking either.  If you think your thinking for entertainment discounts either of our abilities to not think at all you are thinking incorrectly as we don't think of ourselves as thinkers in the slightest aspect of even coming close to thinking when we choose not to think.  If you were to put thinking on an EEG it would look like this:

-------------.........-.----.< ......__---------.

If you were to put non thinking on an EEG it would look like this:

So you see, thinking as a form of entertainment does not compare to non thinking, even in the slightest degree of manifestation.

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

Bluegal1's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
            Queens NY
            United States
            Member #141856
            April 25, 2013
            37 Posts
            Posted: December 18, 2015, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

A huge win like that would be sure to draw attention to you.  As humbling as a win like that would be, it will be a lot of unwanted attention from those seeking to capitalize on your win expecting benevolence. I know I would love to win a jackpot prize of some kind, which is why I choose to play Pick 10 because winning the jackpot prize doesn't require a press conference and winner name disclosure.  Sometimes flying under the radar is a good thing in a jackpot win as it will give you peace to enjoy your jackpot in anonymity and be as benevolent as you choose

music*'s avatar - nw bookeep.jpg
              Happy California
              United States
              Member #157856
              August 2, 2014
              1513 Posts
              Posted: December 23, 2015, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

Please do not flash your cash in public. America is a litigious society. Nuisance lawsuits may fill your days.    I wonder how the winners who did not go public and kept their new lives private are doing today. I will never know and that is a good thing.

No Pity!

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, rich is better. 

Attributed to Joe E. Lewis and others

Bondi Junction
                Australia
                Member #57242
                December 24, 2007
                1102 Posts
                Posted: December 24, 2015, 10:25 am - IP Logged

In Australia and the UK Lottery Winners have the right to remain anonymous. US lotteries should have similar policies.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Bondi Junction
                  Australia
                  Member #57242
                  December 24, 2007
                  1102 Posts
                  Posted: December 24, 2015, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Please do not flash your cash in public. America is a litigious society. Nuisance lawsuits may fill your days.    I wonder how the winners who did not go public and kept their new lives private are doing today. I will never know and that is a good thing.

No Pity!

In the UK, where winners have the right to remain anonymous, winners who do choose to go public, usually regret it. They can be besieged by requests for help, not just from relatives, but also complete strangers. Just as we don't go around talking about how much we earn, or what we own, why tell the world about a big win?

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                    Gurnee, Illinois
                    United States
                    Member #49731
                    February 12, 2007
                    917 Posts
                    Posted: December 27, 2015, 5:44 am - IP Logged

Humor this. We finally achieve the "billion dollar Powerball jackpot." Do you really want to be the sole winner? Are you ready for the media attention? You're pretty much going to be forced in to the 'A' list club. I believe if there's only one winner, there's going to be a lot of social pressure to make the winner known to the public. Anonymity will go out the window even in an anonymous state. In fact, it'd probably better to willingly come forward to protect other jackpot winner's anonymity. There hasn't been a lot of media attention on Gloria Mackenzie since her big win. However, I think things will be different if you're an overnight billionaire. Think Edtv. I personally think I could handle it. The first thing I'd do is hire about 5 security guards. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Don't believe the hype! The only way one could become a billionaire by winning the lottery is if the jackpot exceeded $4 billion! The cash option is usually 50 percent of the advertised annuities jackpot amount and taxes will consume 50 percent of that cash option amount. A billion spread out over 26 years does not make one a billionaire.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

United States
                      Member #142499
                      May 13, 2013
                      1182 Posts
                      Posted: December 27, 2015, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Don't believe the hype! The only way one could become a billionaire by winning the lottery is if the jackpot exceeded $4 billion! The cash option is usually 50 percent of the advertised annuities jackpot amount and taxes will consume 50 percent of that cash option amount. A billion spread out over 26 years does not make one a billionaire.

But that's the point, isn't it? Every layperson will believe the hype. Every radio show and tv station and the MUSL especially will be hyping it up as the billion dollar jackpot. Even for those who actually know that the take home amount will be nowhere near a billion dollars will still know it's the largest jackpot in US history and that'll be enough to get the buzzards circling around whoever wins, and they will be known as the billion dollar jackpot winner. Everything to do with the US lotteries is about hype.

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: December 28, 2015, 3:23 am - IP Logged

"The only way one could become a billionaire by winning the lottery is if the jackpot exceeded $4 billion! through a series of unlikely events."

There, I fixed it for you. Depending on the state they live in a winner could net as much as 36.6%. In that case it would take an advertised jackpot of "only" about $2.73 billion to result in a net of $1 billion. It would also require being the only winner. I have no idea how many tickets would be sold if they advertise a jackpot of $1 billion, but it will probably be enough that the odds of a single winner are quite low. For an annuity jackpot that reaches 2.7 billion I think the only thing that would prevent selling at least a billion tickets would be all the people who go crazy realizing that spending $100 and up for the 2nd or 3rd time in a row isn't a good idea.

FWIW, I'll note that the taxes wouldn't be much lower on the annuity, but investing the proceeds from an annuity of far less than 2.73 billion could result in becoming a billionaire after 20 to 30 years.

Of course the average player, and certainly those who drive sales for a very large advertised jackpot, probably won't be thinking about how much smaller the actual net is, or the  chances of splitting the  jackpot with 1 or 2 (or even 5 or more) other winners.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                          Nutley, New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #131058
                          August 1, 2012
                          875 Posts
                          Posted: December 28, 2015, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

I'll take a billion dollar jackpot and everything that comes with it, good and bad. Just let me win.

Bondi Junction
                            Australia
                            Member #57242
                            December 24, 2007
                            1102 Posts
                            Posted: December 28, 2015, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

I am not ready for the attention.  That is why I dont solicit the Kardashian women for sex. lol

A billion dollars JP plus a kardashian chick?  Lions and tigers and bears, ...

I am sexy as fudge, like Matthew, so I know what I am talking typing about. lol

Hopefully, by then, state lotteries will allow winners to remain anonymous. But, if not, I would try to claim through a trust. Firstly, I would hire a good, ethical lawyer and find out what my options are. If I couldn't avoid publicity, I would certainly keep it too a minimum.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                              Member #106923
                              February 27, 2011
                              476 Posts
                              Posted: December 28, 2015, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

Humor this. We finally achieve the "billion dollar Powerball jackpot." Do you really want to be the sole winner? Are you ready for the media attention? You're pretty much going to be forced in to the 'A' list club. I believe if there's only one winner, there's going to be a lot of social pressure to make the winner known to the public. Anonymity will go out the window even in an anonymous state. In fact, it'd probably better to willingly come forward to protect other jackpot winner's anonymity. There hasn't been a lot of media attention on Gloria Mackenzie since her big win. However, I think things will be different if you're an overnight billionaire. Think Edtv. I personally think I could handle it. The first thing I'd do is hire about 5 security guards. What are your thoughts on the subject?

"Yes, I am the winner.  First and foremost, I would like everyone to know, I loathe the bureaucracy that has mandated this press conference be held.  I also am disappointed in the media who has disclosed the location of my home, and required me to flee for the safety of my family.  Now for questions:

That question can be answered from a previous interview with Todd Northrop.  Please go to lotterypost.com for the answer.  Next question...

That question can be answered from a previous interview with Mr. Northrop.  Please go to lotterypost.com for the answer.  Next...

That question can be answered from a previous interview with Northrop.  Please go to lotterypost.com for the answer.  One last question...

That question can be answered from a previous interview with Todd Northrop.  Please go to lotterypost.com for the answer.  That's all the time I have now.  Thank you.  Oh, one last thing... Yule Log."

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

Page 6 of 13