Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you ready for the attention?

Topic closed. 184 replies. Last post 1 year ago by AlecWest.

Page 4 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

Do you REALLY want to win a billion dollar jackpot?

Yes [ 79 ]  [70.54%]
No [ 14 ]  [12.50%]
Would rather share such a huge prize. [ 19 ]  [16.96%]
Total Valid Votes [ 112 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
Member #106923
February 27, 2011
479 Posts
Posted: November 29, 2015, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

There'll be a billion dollars worth of media attention, but the winner won't be a billionaire.  Take the cash value of the annuity and subtract taxes. They'll be left with something like 340 million.

Who can afford to live on $340 million?  I mean, there will be the millions and millions necessary to bail the other half out of jail... each time. And the costs for my own charges.  Not to mention weapons charges, and the cost for the weapons themselves.  It's not like I can just go and register to get one you know.  I have to go underground and that costs money.  $340 million instead of a billion, well I never!  Who is the lottery to cheat me like that!  I'll have to hire an attorney and sue them!  That will cost some bucks also!  I'm down to almost nothin' now!  They owe me.  They owe me big!  I want my money, something like, um, one billion minus 340 million... um, they owe me a lot of money!  My attorney can do the math cause I'm paying big bucks to him to get what I've been cheated out of...

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
    Member #142499
    May 13, 2013
    1200 Posts
    Posted: November 29, 2015, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

Teddi, I stand corrected, but you have THE wrong winner lol.

I too dont really think we will see that billion dollar prize.  Even Glorias MM win at almost $600 million was still off $400 mil.

Just wish "they" would stop messing with the lotteries.  Leave them both at $1 ticket.  We have two seperate games right now if so inclined make a third game with their parameters for a billion dollar game.  I am sure they would have buyers even at astronomical odds.  Just a thought.

ROFLMAO. Come on Lejardin. That JP is mine. 

I have to say, both Gloria AND her son have done an extraordinary job staying out of the limelight and the press, and considering that she's the largest individual PB winner ever, that says a lot. So I think a $1B winner will be okay eventually if they are smart. 

PB was stupid to not have learned from MM. Sales are still down for both and there have been no record breaking JPs. Idiots. 

I want to see a 3rd game with REALLY awful odds. But with prepaid taxes and just one pot. No annuity vs cash. I wouldn't even want them to waste money on smaller prizes. Just a straight win or not, and what is advertised is exactly what gets paid. Start the pot at $100 million. 2 draws per week. Drop PB back down to $1 per play and make this one $3 - $5 per play since there would be no powerplay. MM and PB screwing around with their matrices is not the way. I think it just irritates their regular players.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
      Member #169277
      October 10, 2015
      630 Posts
      Posted: November 29, 2015, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

LOL, good one. 

"Billion" seems like a powerful magic word. I don't think MM/PB should be allowed to say the magic word until the cash value reaches a billion. 

Just my way of grumbling about the disconnect between the adverised payout and the actual take-home.

United States
        Member #142499
        May 13, 2013
        1200 Posts
        Posted: November 29, 2015, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

LOL, good one. 

"Billion" seems like a powerful magic word. I don't think MM/PB should be allowed to say the magic word until the cash value reaches a billion. 

Just my way of grumbling about the disconnect between the adverised payout and the actual take-home.

I hear ya. I do despise the disconnect between advertised and take home as well. But a CV of $1B seems really unattainable when we can't even get to an annuity of $1 billion.

A CV of a billion is going to have a jackpot of at least $2 billion. I know nothing is impossible but the odds of that happening are so low within the current system that it might as well be impossible.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7344 Posts
          Posted: November 29, 2015, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

There'll be a billion dollars worth of media attention, but the winner won't be a billionaire.  Take the cash value of the annuity and subtract taxes. They'll be left with something like 340 million.

Nobody explained how a before tax annuity could reach $1 billion much less grow to a $1 billion prize where somebody would actually be an after taxes Billionaire. As for the attention, how many LP members remember who won the record $656 million MM jackpot in 2012?

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
            Member #142777
            May 18, 2013
            263 Posts
            Posted: November 29, 2015, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

I want to come forward at the press conference and brag a little after winning a billion dollars not hide truck driver man! What is it with all this being scared about big money?  Whats scary is being broke.  I don't see the big time movie, news, and sport stars who have millions being killed. 

Look, if you win any bank will front you millions after they see that billion dollar ticket so just buy yourself into a super rich secure community before the press conference.

Maybe i need to run a new poll of what yall are scared of the most:

A.  Winning a billion dollar lottery and having to appear at the press conference.Stooges

B.  Your Wife.ROFL

C.  Your Boss.LOL

D.  Donald Trump as President.US Flag

E.  Your so scared that if you win you nominate veganlife125 to claim your ticket at the press conference for 1%! "I promise after im done you won't have to worry about the attention being on you ever again!"Cheers

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
              Member #106923
              February 27, 2011
              479 Posts
              Posted: November 29, 2015, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

Nobody explained how a before tax annuity could reach $1 billion much less grow to a $1 billion prize where somebody would actually be an after taxes Billionaire. As for the attention, how many LP members remember who won the record $656 million MM jackpot in 2012?

I believe the consideration is directed toward the advertised jackpot amount and not a cash value.  With the current odds of the Powerball, combined with the actual sales data, a statistical analysis will indicate it is possible for the advertised pot to reach the one billion mark.  The lottery itself would love for this to occur.  The media frenzy would be a full blown blitz and the tickets sales would more than likely reach record levels.  However, during each draw leading up to such a jackpot there is a small chance someone will win each drawing.  It has already happened once after the matrix change in Powerball, and I am sure to the dismay of the lottery.  As for the record $656 million jackpot, there were three winners, which one are you referring to Stack?

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                42154 Posts
                Posted: November 29, 2015, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

I want to come forward at the press conference and brag a little after winning a billion dollars not hide truck driver man! What is it with all this being scared about big money?  Whats scary is being broke.  I don't see the big time movie, news, and sport stars who have millions being killed. 

Look, if you win any bank will front you millions after they see that billion dollar ticket so just buy yourself into a super rich secure community before the press conference.

A.  Winning a billion dollar lottery and having to appear at the press conference.Stooges

B.  Your Wife.ROFL

C.  Your Boss.LOL

E.  Your so scared that if you win you nominate veganlife125 to claim your ticket at the press conference for 1%! "I promise after im done you won't have to worry about the attention being on you ever again!"Cheers

You forgot F. Attack of the 50 foot Honey BooBoo .

HyperBe Happy.

TinkerMazell's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                  Augusta, Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #127854
                  May 10, 2012
                  81 Posts
                  Posted: November 29, 2015, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely. Why? Because I'd be the most boring big lottery winner ever. The press would leave me be once they go weeks with nothing to report. 

Obviously I'd be security conscious, but as long as get all my ducks in a row beforehand, I don't see the issue. 

I don't go clubbing, I don't drink or smoke, I've never done drugs, I know better than to leave thousands of dollars in an unlocked vehicle and I am not (nor will ever be) engaged to a drug dealing ex-con. All my social media accounts are under a nom de guerre and I use a PO Box for all mail which just so happens to be linked to a residence I'm no longer at. 

Every single vice that has gotten lottery winners in trouble in the past are all things that are not in my nature. I'd have no problems hunkering down for a few months while the frenzy blows over. What would I need that Amazon or Costco couldn't deliver to my door. 

If we've learned anything from Gloria it's that the only winners who stay in the news after a year are the ones who put themselves there.

Will you marry me? LOL

I am a $20,000 winner from a Georgia Lottery scratch off game called "$3,000,000 Taxes Paid"!

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7344 Posts
                    Posted: November 29, 2015, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

I believe the consideration is directed toward the advertised jackpot amount and not a cash value.  With the current odds of the Powerball, combined with the actual sales data, a statistical analysis will indicate it is possible for the advertised pot to reach the one billion mark.  The lottery itself would love for this to occur.  The media frenzy would be a full blown blitz and the tickets sales would more than likely reach record levels.  However, during each draw leading up to such a jackpot there is a small chance someone will win each drawing.  It has already happened once after the matrix change in Powerball, and I am sure to the dismay of the lottery.  As for the record $656 million jackpot, there were three winners, which one are you referring to Stack?

"which one are you referring to Stack?"

Without doing a search, I remember one of the winning tickets was sold in New Jersey, but I can't remember any names. I wonder if over three years after a $1 billion jackpot winner, will people remember who or how many won it. There couldl be plenty of attention, but only if the winner(s) allow it.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                      Member #164603
                      March 8, 2015
                      641 Posts
                      Posted: November 29, 2015, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

B.  Your Wife.ROFL

C.  Your Boss.LOL

ALL these people are heavily stalked, regardless of  how much security they have. They get countless rape and murder threats, there are many kidnapping plots, for example against the Beckhams and Joss Stone. What about all the Kidnapping For Ransom? Not an issue?

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                        Member #118609
                        November 4, 2011
                        1075 Posts
                        Posted: November 29, 2015, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

ROFLMAO. Come on Lejardin. That JP is mine. 

I have to say, both Gloria AND her son have done an extraordinary job staying out of the limelight and the press, and considering that she's the largest individual PB winner ever, that says a lot. So I think a $1B winner will be okay eventually if they are smart. 

PB was stupid to not have learned from MM. Sales are still down for both and there have been no record breaking JPs. Idiots. 

I want to see a 3rd game with REALLY awful odds. But with prepaid taxes and just one pot. No annuity vs cash. I wouldn't even want them to waste money on smaller prizes. Just a straight win or not, and what is advertised is exactly what gets paid. Start the pot at $100 million. 2 draws per week. Drop PB back down to $1 per play and make this one $3 - $5 per play since there would be no powerplay. MM and PB screwing around with their matrices is not the way. I think it just irritates their regular players.

No No  Lol.

Yea isnt it something, not a peep about Gloria et al.  In fact, we dont really hear about any of the older lottery winners.  Just Marie Holmes and as much as I would like to give her credit and eat my words, I dont think she will be on the road to redemtion until she dumps that loser boyfriend.  A chance in a lifetime to clean up and turn your life around and they are still in trouble.  Some things never change.

That being said, Let me prove that I can stay out of the news.......I am a homebody, I can keep myself busy working around the house, gardening etc. 

3rd game with prepaid taxes, straight win, AND WHAT IS ADVERTISED IS THE PAYOFF, totally agree.  This garbage of promoting lotteries when the net is nowhere near their advertsing IS a crock.  I know PB and MM changes have almost caused me to stop playing.  Why fix something that isnt broken? $1 per ticket is more than enough for pb and mm. 

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3501 Posts
                          Posted: November 30, 2015, 12:43 am - IP Logged

I hear ya. I do despise the disconnect between advertised and take home as well. But a CV of $1B seems really unattainable when we can't even get to an annuity of $1 billion.

A CV of a billion is going to have a jackpot of at least $2 billion. I know nothing is impossible but the odds of that happening are so low within the current system that it might as well be impossible.

Right now the cash/annuity ratio is very close to .61 for both PB and MM, which means a cash value of $1 billion would require an advertised jackpot of about 1.63 billion. That's unlikely, but it's certainly possible. I've already explained on page 1 how big the jackpot would be if the sales for the MM record were applied to PB's prize pool - the cash value of $474 million would have been about twice as much, at about $950 million, which would have meant an advertised value of about $1.3 billion. That would certainly have resulted in even bigger sales, pushing the cash value past the billion dollar mark. There's room to argue the details, but it's very strong evidence that odds of 1 in 175 million coupled with PB's $2 ticket can produce an annuity of more than $1 billion.

The current odds for PB mean the chance of a winner for any particular drawing is about 60% of what it used to be. Based on the sales for the record MM jackpot the chances of making it to that final drawing are a bit shy of 4%, or about 1 in 27. The catch is that the final jackpot was a roll from $363 million, and given the lousy sales of late I don't know if we'd see that big a jump for the final drawing, though the flip side of that is that there'd be a better chance of one more roll. If we do hit $1 billion I suspect it will come from hitting a sweet spot in the 4 to 500 range. If the current version of PB reaches an advertised value of $450 million then rolls and sells 250 million tickets for the next jackpot it would increase the advertised jackpot to about $700 million, and still have better than a 40% chance of a rollover. A cash value of a billion is significantly less likely, but easily within the realm of possibilities.

And for anyone who thinks that a jackpot of a billion or more is essentially impossible, consider this. The odds of any particular roll reaching a billion dollars are significantly better than the chances that your ticket will win $7. If you're sure it can't get to a billion you should really find a different game to play.

United States
                            Member #142499
                            May 13, 2013
                            1200 Posts
                            Posted: November 30, 2015, 3:06 am - IP Logged

ALL these people are heavily stalked, regardless of  how much security they have. They get countless rape and murder threats, there are many kidnapping plots, for example against the Beckhams and Joss Stone. What about all the Kidnapping For Ransom? Not an issue?

YAY!!! Someone with a brain. Don't forget that foiled kidnapping plot against Letterman's infant son or that Bieber's ex just put her house up for sale due to a stalker who apparently doesn't care about no contact laws. I know Oprah and Buffett have some serious security around them and if you watch the documentaries put out by BBC and CNBC on security for the wealthy, it's more than a tad scary. 

And that's without bringing in what happened to Anneli-Marie or the Seong and Monteverde families in those kidnappings and murders. 

People may have forgotten about Versace but what happened to the Savopoulos family and their housekeeper should give them pause if they think money insulates one from being victimized. There are few things as heinous as a child being put in harms way or killed simply because the parents are wealthy.

United States
                              Member #142499
                              May 13, 2013
                              1200 Posts
                              Posted: November 30, 2015, 3:25 am - IP Logged

No No  Lol.

Yea isnt it something, not a peep about Gloria et al.  In fact, we dont really hear about any of the older lottery winners.  Just Marie Holmes and as much as I would like to give her credit and eat my words, I dont think she will be on the road to redemtion until she dumps that loser boyfriend.  A chance in a lifetime to clean up and turn your life around and they are still in trouble.  Some things never change.

That being said, Let me prove that I can stay out of the news.......I am a homebody, I can keep myself busy working around the house, gardening etc. 

3rd game with prepaid taxes, straight win, AND WHAT IS ADVERTISED IS THE PAYOFF, totally agree.  This garbage of promoting lotteries when the net is nowhere near their advertsing IS a crock.  I know PB and MM changes have almost caused me to stop playing.  Why fix something that isnt broken? $1 per ticket is more than enough for pb and mm. 

Okay, okay. I propose a contest to settle this. We both win a large jackpot and whoever stays out of the press the longest wins. Prize to be determined.

I've read about 50 books this year and I still have another 300 in my queue on my Kindle I haven't gotten to yet. The Tudor Court series and Paulo Coelho slowed me down considerably.  I need to catch up on the latest seasons of Orange Is The New Black, House of Cards, Downton Abbey and Vikings. Plus The Sims has a new game and expansion pack out. 

I guarantee I'll out-homebody you without missing a beat.   Boxing

Page 4 of 13