Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you ready for the attention?

Topic closed. 184 replies. Last post 11 months ago by AlecWest.

Page 9 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

Do you REALLY want to win a billion dollar jackpot?

Yes [ 79 ]  [70.54%]
No [ 14 ]  [12.50%]
Would rather share such a huge prize. [ 19 ]  [16.96%]
Total Valid Votes [ 112 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3474 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2016, 8:48 am - IP Logged

"the lottery winner could be kidnapped but that would be a little short-sighted on the kidnapper's part."

I can imagine it going something like this:

<ring> <ring> Hello?

We've got your uncle. We want $10 million.

My uncle? Which uncle?

Which uncle do you think? Your uncle the lottery winner. Give us $10 million and we'll release him unharmed.

What if I don't give you $10 million?

We'll kill him.

I'm in the will. Thanks so very much. <click>

AlecWest's avatar - alec
    Vader, Washington
    United States
    Member #29697
    January 5, 2006
    108 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2016, 9:09 am - IP Logged

"the lottery winner could be kidnapped but that would be a little short-sighted on the kidnapper's part."

I can imagine it going something like this:

<ring> <ring> Hello?

We've got your uncle. We want $10 million.

My uncle? Which uncle?

Which uncle do you think? Your uncle the lottery winner. Give us $10 million and we'll release him unharmed.

What if I don't give you $10 million?

We'll kill him.

I'm in the will. Thanks so very much. <click>

Love it, hehehe.  FWIW, I saw a lottery winner horror story on TV once when I was traveling in Canada.  Canadian lottery winners are allowed to remain anonymous.  But one lady lottery winner made the mistake of telling a "few" close friends.  Someone who knew her number gave her a call - saying that if she didn't pay him a large amount of money, he couldn't guarantee the health of her sister & her sister's children.  The RCMP never found the person who made the call.  And the lady moved herself (and her sister's family) to a different province and they all changed their names.  Her face and voice were altered on camera when she was interviewed.  And she said, since she'd only told "good friends" about her wealth, that she could no longer trust anybody - and that she'd severed contact with everyone she knew in her pre-jackpot life.

AlecWest's avatar - alec
      Vader, Washington
      United States
      Member #29697
      January 5, 2006
      108 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2016, 9:43 am - IP Logged

Just in case anyone's curious, I did the math on the Powerball jackpot assuming it stays at $1.3 billion.  On the lump-sum payout, I'm using the 57.5% figure as the amount of money a winner would get, pre-tax.  And on taxes, I'm using the current tax rate for a single person (as published in this Forbes Magazine article).

$451,369,470.25 --- lump-sum, after all Federal taxes

$26,052,803.58 ---- yearly annuity payments (30), after all Federal taxes using the "current" tax rates

If you think my math is wrong, correct me please.  Just keep in mind that the "current" tax rates will likely go up over the next 29 years.  And who knows.  President Bill Clinton was the first president to express an interest in a "wealth" tax.  I've even heard a few politicians express an interest in charging a "surtax" on lottery winnings at the state level.  These future possibilities are things you need to consider if you choose an annuity payout - unless, hehe, you can predict the future and know such things can never happen (famous last words).

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
        Greenville, SC
        United States
        Member #169870
        November 4, 2015
        374 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2016, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

If there's a sole winner, do you honestly think they will let you remain anonymous?

May the balls bounce in your favor!

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
          Member #164603
          March 8, 2015
          614 Posts
          Posted: January 10, 2016, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Imagine it's a single winner and he or she doesn't pick up the winnings because they can't say anonymous or can but are scared of being "found out about" and the consequences.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
            Member #142499
            May 13, 2013
            1186 Posts
            Posted: January 10, 2016, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

No No  Lol.

Yea isnt it something, not a peep about Gloria et al.  In fact, we dont really hear about any of the older lottery winners.  Just Marie Holmes and as much as I would like to give her credit and eat my words, I dont think she will be on the road to redemtion until she dumps that loser boyfriend.  A chance in a lifetime to clean up and turn your life around and they are still in trouble.  Some things never change.

That being said, Let me prove that I can stay out of the news.......I am a homebody, I can keep myself busy working around the house, gardening etc. 

3rd game with prepaid taxes, straight win, AND WHAT IS ADVERTISED IS THE PAYOFF, totally agree.  This garbage of promoting lotteries when the net is nowhere near their advertsing IS a crock.  I know PB and MM changes have almost caused me to stop playing.  Why fix something that isnt broken? $1 per ticket is more than enough for pb and mm. 

Okay, Lejardin. This is the jackpot we've been waiting for. We both need to split this one and whoever stays out of the media the longest wins! You know I already have your consolation prize and you can pick out the hotplate of your dreams. The win is mine along with my La Cornue. 

Do you realize that whoever wins this jackpot could buy Stone Mansion and not even miss the money? I didn't think we'd ever see a CV high enough to buy it AND afford the taxes and upkeep. But we're at that point. 

BananaPartyDanceDrum

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

AlecWest's avatar - alec
              Vader, Washington
              United States
              Member #29697
              January 5, 2006
              108 Posts
              Posted: January 10, 2016, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

If there's a sole winner, do you honestly think they will let you remain anonymous?

"Let me" ???  No.  But I have a surefire method to use in my specific circumstances that will protect my anonymity.  But, hehe, I won't mention that method here (or on my site) because it's a "personal" secret (grin).  I'll give you a hint, though.  It's a variation of something I do mention on my site.

One note.  If LuckyYou.alecwest.com ever goes down, I've either used the method or died ... whichever comes first.

MaximumMillions's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg

Germany
                Member #164603
                March 8, 2015
                614 Posts
                Posted: January 10, 2016, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

"Let me" ???  No.  But I have a surefire method to use in my specific circumstances that will protect my anonymity.  But, hehe, I won't mention that method here (or on my site) because it's a "personal" secret (grin).  I'll give you a hint, though.  It's a variation of something I do mention on my site.

One note.  If LuckyYou.alecwest.com ever goes down, I've either used the method or died ... whichever comes first.

Just don't use Ketchup

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/german-woman-used-tomato-ketchup-to-fake-her-own-death-10349924.html

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                  Vader, Washington
                  United States
                  Member #29697
                  January 5, 2006
                  108 Posts
                  Posted: January 10, 2016, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Just don't use Ketchup

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/german-woman-used-tomato-ketchup-to-fake-her-own-death-10349924.html

Hehehe, not even close.

Arizona
                    United States
                    Member #165073
                    March 24, 2015
                    220 Posts
                    Posted: January 10, 2016, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

Just in case anyone's curious, I did the math on the Powerball jackpot assuming it stays at $1.3 billion.  On the lump-sum payout, I'm using the 57.5% figure as the amount of money a winner would get, pre-tax.  And on taxes, I'm using the current tax rate for a single person (as published in this Forbes Magazine article).

$451,369,470.25 --- lump-sum, after all Federal taxes

$26,052,803.58 ---- yearly annuity payments (30), after all Federal taxes using the "current" tax rates

If you think my math is wrong, correct me please.  Just keep in mind that the "current" tax rates will likely go up over the next 29 years.  And who knows.  President Bill Clinton was the first president to express an interest in a "wealth" tax.  I've even heard a few politicians express an interest in charging a "surtax" on lottery winnings at the state level.  These future possibilities are things you need to consider if you choose an annuity payout - unless, hehe, you can predict the future and know such things can never happen (famous last words).

What you've got there is the average annuity payment. It's actually more complicated than that. The first payment is about 19.5 million, or a bit under 12 million after federal taxes. It increases by 5% each year, until the final payment of about 80.5 million, or a bit under 49 million after taxes.

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                      Vader, Washington
                      United States
                      Member #29697
                      January 5, 2006
                      108 Posts
                      Posted: January 10, 2016, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

What you've got there is the average annuity payment. It's actually more complicated than that. The first payment is about 19.5 million, or a bit under 12 million after federal taxes. It increases by 5% each year, until the final payment of about 80.5 million, or a bit under 49 million after taxes.

Yup, averages.  But the annuity increases only 4% per year according to the Powerball Letters and Answers page.  Is there a page that shows an "example" of the graduated scale from first payment to last payment?

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                        Member #169277
                        October 10, 2015
                        630 Posts
                        Posted: January 10, 2016, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

It changed from 4% to 5%, I'm not sure when. 

https://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-jackpot.asp Click the schedule link for your state

Arizona
                          United States
                          Member #165073
                          March 24, 2015
                          220 Posts
                          Posted: January 10, 2016, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

Yup, averages.  But the annuity increases only 4% per year according to the Powerball Letters and Answers page.  Is there a page that shows an "example" of the graduated scale from first payment to last payment?

You're right. I forgot that PB's annual increase is less than MM's 5%.

Is there a page that shows an "example" of the graduated scale from first payment to last payment?

Here's one for my home state: https://www.usamega.com/powerball-jackpot-annuity.asp?state=AZ

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                            Vader, Washington
                            United States
                            Member #29697
                            January 5, 2006
                            108 Posts
                            Posted: January 10, 2016, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

You're right. I forgot that PB's annual increase is less than MM's 5%.

Is there a page that shows an "example" of the graduated scale from first payment to last payment?

Here's one for my home state: https://www.usamega.com/powerball-jackpot-annuity.asp?state=AZ

Thanks, I appreciate the info.  But between you and me, I like my home state's page better because (grin) my state has no state income tax - https://www.usamega.com/powerball-jackpot-annuity.asp?state=WA

However, in both cases, they used "current" tax rates.  What future tax rates may be, Federal or state, is a bugger.  I really pity people who live in areas with county, city, and metropolitan service district income taxes.  I used to live in one of those areas (Multnomah County, Oregon) until the income tax was finally done away with.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                              Member #118609
                              November 4, 2011
                              939 Posts
                              Posted: January 10, 2016, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Ooops, my post didnt reply to you Teddi....

Well although I agree, I have another committal to a split.  Even with a split, it is just too much money for one person, I admit I would be overwhelmed and unprepared to deal with it all. That team of advisers would be a necessity Idea.  But I can assure you I will be out of the media, and a good thing I like myself because I can be alone lol, just me, my security system, self protection and my Doberman Pinscher aka toy poodle.

I already had to eat my words today when I said I didnt think this thing would EVER get to a billion.  It will be interesting to see what the jackpot will be at drawtime.  Just like last night went to $949,000,000 sum odd cents at final.  Either way it is over my comprehension so I shall continue to live in la la land.

Good Luck to us.Cheers

Page 9 of 13