Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you ready for the attention?

Topic closed. 184 replies. Last post 1 year ago by AlecWest.

Page 3 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

Do you REALLY want to win a billion dollar jackpot?

Yes [ 79 ]  [70.54%]
No [ 14 ]  [12.50%]
Would rather share such a huge prize. [ 19 ]  [16.96%]
Total Valid Votes [ 112 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
Member #169277
October 10, 2015
630 Posts
Posted: November 26, 2015, 11:36 am - IP Logged

"Not only would I not want to win $1B but I'd definitely not want to be the first person to win a $!B jackpot. "

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on LP. LOL Thanks for the laugh!

Why dumb? 

Would I refuse a bil, no I wouldn't. But it's also not someting I particularly desire, especially with the unavoidable attention and publicity.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19900 Posts
    Posted: November 26, 2015, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Why dumb? 

Would I refuse a bil, no I wouldn't. But it's also not someting I particularly desire, especially with the unavoidable attention and publicity.

Why would anyone play any lottery game that they didn't want to win the top prize?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #169277
      October 10, 2015
      630 Posts
      Posted: November 26, 2015, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

Why would anyone play any lottery game that they didn't want to win the top prize?

I didn't realize anyone here was doing that?

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3502 Posts
        Posted: November 26, 2015, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

Who says they're going to play? Anyone who wants to is welcome to play for $200 million, $300 Million, and so on, then stop playing when the jackpot exceeds some particular threshold. That way they aren't playing a game where they don't want to win the top prize.

I'll note, however, that the idea of playing when the jackpot is $40, $140, or $250 million but not playing when it's a billion dollars is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
          Texas Panhandle
          United States
          Member #136843
          December 20, 2012
          1389 Posts
          Posted: November 26, 2015, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

Am I ready for the attention?  As ready as I'll ever be.  I think I can handle it.

Of course, that 1 billion would "only" be - depending upon the taxes in your state of residence - around $600 million.  It's a little depressing to think of the $400 million handed over to Uncle Sam which wouldn't even cover govt. spending for an hour.  However, it would be satisfying knowing that huge chunk of money would benefit our wounded military,  help single mothers feed their children and be used to assist areas devastated by natural disasters.  OTOH, a too-large part of those taxes would be given to able-bodied people gaming the welfare system,  paying for a study on the mating habits of the common Mississippi catfish, funding "art" like a cross in a jar of urine...and for Congressional junkets to places like the Bahamas or Switzerland. (AKA vacations on the taxpayer's dime)

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
           - George Orwell

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7344 Posts
            Posted: November 27, 2015, 12:37 am - IP Logged

Ticket sales determines if it's likely (more than a 50% chance) a jackpot will be won. For the 11/24 MM drawing, 14.7 million tickets were sold and 13 million tickets were sold for the 11/25 PB drawing. By simply dividing the ticket sales by the total possible outcomes (258,890,850) for MM and divide by 292,201,338 for PB will give a ball park percentage. The 5.67% chance doesn't mean the jackpot won't be won, just highly unlikely.

On 3/30/2012 when the total possible combs was 175 million, 651,915,940 tickets were sold making it just slightly less than a 100% chance the jackpot would be won. There were 3 winning tickets for that drawing dividing the $474 million cash value ($656 million annuity) so IMO, under the current matrix it's very unlikely we'll see $1 Billion MM jackpot. IMO, considering what was wagered on $1 ticket MM, if that amount was wagered on PB, 326 million tickets and highly likely a jackpot winner.

When somebody says "Not only would I not want to win $1B but I'd definitely not want to be the first person to win a $!B jackpot" the obvious is they won't be buying a ticket making the statement very irrelevant and IMO very dumb.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7344 Posts
              Posted: November 27, 2015, 12:40 am - IP Logged

Who says they're going to play? Anyone who wants to is welcome to play for $200 million, $300 Million, and so on, then stop playing when the jackpot exceeds some particular threshold. That way they aren't playing a game where they don't want to win the top prize.

I'll note, however, that the idea of playing when the jackpot is $40, $140, or $250 million but not playing when it's a billion dollars is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard.

"Anyone who wants to is welcome to play for $200 million, $300 Million, and so on, then stop playing when the jackpot exceeds some particular threshold. That way they aren't playing a game where they don't want to win the top prize."

LOLAgree with stupid LOL

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10391 Posts
                Posted: November 27, 2015, 12:45 am - IP Logged

KY Floyd,

As per the thread title, not everyone wants $1B worth of attention.

Let's say the jackpot is $140M or $250M, I'd like to see what people would say if asked what are they going to do with $1B that they can't do with $140M or $250M.

As a side note, I don't buy the 'charity' answers because I'm sure every charity out there would rather get a steady chump change donation than a huge donation' when I hit the lottery'.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                  Member #121745
                  January 16, 2012
                  4967 Posts
                  Posted: November 27, 2015, 8:16 am - IP Logged

KY Floyd,

As per the thread title, not everyone wants $1B worth of attention.

Let's say the jackpot is $140M or $250M, I'd like to see what people would say if asked what are they going to do with $1B that they can't do with $140M or $250M.

As a side note, I don't buy the 'charity' answers because I'm sure every charity out there would rather get a steady chump change donation than a huge donation' when I hit the lottery'.

I agree Coin Toss. A billion dollar winner would be in the press the rest of their life. I think most people can live with the attention of winning $200 million since it eventually will wane by 99%.

J'aime La France.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                    Ringleader
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #81740
                    October 28, 2009
                    42062 Posts
                    Posted: November 28, 2015, 8:58 am - IP Logged

Yes, we have a great hiding place.

HyperBe Happy.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                      Member #142499
                      May 13, 2013
                      1203 Posts
                      Posted: November 28, 2015, 11:59 am - IP Logged

Excellent plan Teddi.  Now all we need is a winner!

Not "A" winner, Lejardin. "The" winner. Moi 

LOL

Only problem I see is that the pot seems unable to make it to $1B.

Even with both games changing their formats to supposedly make it harder to win, people are still winning even without a jackpot high enough to use a frenzied run on tickets as an excuse.

I'd been sure MM would have made it to $1B within 2 years of changing their format. I'd figured that if they could make it to >$600M with much lower odds, they'd be able to get to the $1B mark.  They haven't even been close.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                        Member #118609
                        November 4, 2011
                        1068 Posts
                        Posted: November 28, 2015, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

Not "A" winner, Lejardin. "The" winner. Moi 

LOL

Only problem I see is that the pot seems unable to make it to $1B.

Even with both games changing their formats to supposedly make it harder to win, people are still winning even without a jackpot high enough to use a frenzied run on tickets as an excuse.

I'd been sure MM would have made it to $1B within 2 years of changing their format. I'd figured that if they could make it to >$600M with much lower odds, they'd be able to get to the $1B mark.  They haven't even been close.

Teddi, I stand corrected, but you have THE wrong winner lol.

I too dont really think we will see that billion dollar prize.  Even Glorias MM win at almost $600 million was still off $400 mil.

Just wish "they" would stop messing with the lotteries.  Leave them both at $1 ticket.  We have two seperate games right now if so inclined make a third game with their parameters for a billion dollar game.  I am sure they would have buyers even at astronomical odds.  Just a thought.

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
                          Greenville, SC
                          United States
                          Member #169870
                          November 4, 2015
                          374 Posts
                          Posted: November 28, 2015, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

I too think they should leave the odds where they are now. PB should come back down to a dollar. So what if it takes a little longer to build a huge pot.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                            Member #106923
                            February 27, 2011
                            479 Posts
                            Posted: November 28, 2015, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

Humor this. We finally achieve the "billion dollar Powerball jackpot." Do you really want to be the sole winner? Are you ready for the media attention? You're pretty much going to be forced in to the 'A' list club. I believe if there's only one winner, there's going to be a lot of social pressure to make the winner known to the public. Anonymity will go out the window even in an anonymous state. In fact, it'd probably better to willingly come forward to protect other jackpot winner's anonymity. There hasn't been a lot of media attention on Gloria Mackenzie since her big win. However, I think things will be different if you're an overnight billionaire. Think Edtv. I personally think I could handle it. The first thing I'd do is hire about 5 security guards. What are your thoughts on the subject?

I clicked Yes as my mouse scrolled across the screen and my finger twitched at that precise moment.  However, I certainly would not have any qualm about sharing a billion dollar Powerball jackpot.  You're right on the anonymity travelintrucker.  Even in anonymous states, the nondisclosure only covers direct state lottery media releases.  Someone could request the information through the Freedoms of Information Act and get the name of who claimed the prize.  Though the lottery may try to protect the identity to the best of their ability they will still be required to abide by the law.  That is why it would be important to have layers of insulation arranged prior to claiming.  One should assume their identity will be discovered and plan according.  With any luck I, I mean they (as in the winner), will not be discovered, but alas, again as you stated, an overnight billionaire puts the lottery win and media attention into a completely different mode.

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

United States
                              Member #169277
                              October 10, 2015
                              630 Posts
                              Posted: November 28, 2015, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

There'll be a billion dollars worth of media attention, but the winner won't be a billionaire.  Take the cash value of the annuity and subtract taxes. They'll be left with something like 340 million.

Page 3 of 13