Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are you ready for the attention?

Topic closed. 184 replies. Last post 11 months ago by AlecWest.

Page 2 of 13
PrintE-mailLink

Do you REALLY want to win a billion dollar jackpot?

Yes [ 79 ]  [70.54%]
No [ 14 ]  [12.50%]
Would rather share such a huge prize. [ 19 ]  [16.96%]
Total Valid Votes [ 112 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #165541
April 12, 2015
541 Posts
Posted: November 24, 2015, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

mmmmm ...Fudge!           Sounds pretty sexy to me.

Thinking of...

Personally, I would not want to win a Billion $ JP.  I think the attention could get tiresome real quick (like in the first day!).  But I would be happy to share!

Tialuvsme.

lol

Siriously, I dont think a billion dollar jackpot is possible.  I think its more of a pipe dream.  I dont think the random mathematics can sustain the odds.

But if I did win, I would share with somebody who loves lotto.Wink

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10347 Posts
    Posted: November 24, 2015, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

Not only would I not want to win $1B but I'd definitely not want to be the first person to win a $!B jackpot.

There have been plenty of people who won a lot less than $1B and encountered plenty of grief and hassles. Not all jackpot winners go through that but a 1 billion dollar score would certainty attract it.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

travelintrucker's avatar - morph
      Greenville, SC
      United States
      Member #169870
      November 4, 2015
      374 Posts
      Posted: November 24, 2015, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

That's exactly the point that I'm trying to make. If you're the first person to win a billion dollar jackpot, just imagine the media frenzy. Had to pick up in snowy, northern Iowa. Heading to sunny Flo Rida. Florida lotto is up to $15 million. Will load up if no one wins on Wednesday.

May the balls bounce in your favor!

SilverLion's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #165541
        April 12, 2015
        541 Posts
        Posted: November 24, 2015, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

That's exactly the point that I'm trying to make. If you're the first person to win a billion dollar jackpot, just imagine the media frenzy. Had to pick up in snowy, northern Iowa. Heading to sunny Flo Rida. Florida lotto is up to $15 million. Will load up if no one wins on Wednesday.

Yes you do have a valid point.  But considering a neck and neck billion dollar JP, it might be easy to forget the first winner of a billion, ( a MMB) if there was a media frenzy for a much desired (PBB).

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
          Member #169277
          October 10, 2015
          630 Posts
          Posted: November 24, 2015, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

No, the attention of any record breaking win is not something I want. I think I will stop playing my 2x week MM if/when it gets to record breaking territory. 

All I want is enough for an early and comfortable retirement.  OK, maybe a bit more for a vacation condo in Hawaii. And......

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
            Member #142777
            May 18, 2013
            263 Posts
            Posted: November 25, 2015, 7:05 am - IP Logged

No pain, no gain. Nobody who isn't delusional wants the publicity, but I'd be willing to accept it for the net on a $1 billion advertised jackpot.

"I dont think we will ever see a billion dollar lottery"

A few years back you probably though we'd never see a jackpot of $656 million, but MM got there with odds about 60% lower and each ticket contributing about 31 cents to the jackpot prize pool. If that jackpot had been based on the current prize pool structure of PB each ticket would contribute about twice as much, resulting in a cash value jackpot closing in on $950 million. Based on the current annuity to cash ratio for PB the annuity would have been advertised at about $1.53 billion. With odds that are about 1.65 times as bad there's a much better chance it would have rolled again. If sales for a subsequent drawing  were the same as for the winning drawing the cash value would have gone up to about $1.35 billion and an advertised annuity in the neighborhood of $2.2 billion.

Current sales for PB mean it takes longer for the jackpot to build, but the chances of getting that big are still a function of the odds, and the higher odds make it significantly more likely for PB to sell that many tickets before producing a winner than it was for MM. The only thing that will prevent this matrix from producing an annuity of $1 billion is changing the matrix again before it happens.

These politicians are losing money by having two national lotteries.  If they ever think to combine them they would make more money.  They would have more huge jackpots. 

Would you dilute down the money and talent in the nfl, nba, or mlb by having two leagues for each?

They could also get more frenzy jackpots by going to a single hopper of 1 thru 99 balls.  They may have to draw 6 or 7 balls out of that hopper to calculate the correct odds but the point is to have less chance for birthday balls coming out of the hopper.

Im surprised they don't see these things but then again they are politicians who don't operate on the profit and loss system.

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

Greenville, SC
              United States
              Member #169870
              November 4, 2015
              374 Posts
              Posted: November 25, 2015, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

Should they keep the four drawings a week?

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7298 Posts
                Posted: November 25, 2015, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

Not only would I not want to win $1B but I'd definitely not want to be the first person to win a $!B jackpot.

There have been plenty of people who won a lot less than $1B and encountered plenty of grief and hassles. Not all jackpot winners go through that but a 1 billion dollar score would certainty attract it.

"Not only would I not want to win $1B but I'd definitely not want to be the first person to win a $!B jackpot. "

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on LP. LOL Thanks for the laugh!

ArizonaDream's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                  Member #169277
                  October 10, 2015
                  630 Posts
                  Posted: November 25, 2015, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

These politicians are losing money by having two national lotteries.  If they ever think to combine them they would make more money.  They would have more huge jackpots. 

Would you dilute down the money and talent in the nfl, nba, or mlb by having two leagues for each?

They could also get more frenzy jackpots by going to a single hopper of 1 thru 99 balls.  They may have to draw 6 or 7 balls out of that hopper to calculate the correct odds but the point is to have less chance for birthday balls coming out of the hopper.

Im surprised they don't see these things but then again they are politicians who don't operate on the profit and loss system.

Interesting. 

I don't think they should eliminate either game, but differentiate them more. Keep PB the way it is for those who want to play for hundreds of millions, reduce the odds on MM so it yields more winners in the 10 to 40 mil range.

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
                    The Quantum Master
                    West Concord, MN
                    United States
                    Member #21
                    December 7, 2001
                    3675 Posts
                    Posted: November 25, 2015, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

Why, yes.

Yes we would.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
                    Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
                    Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
                    Knowledge is Beyond Belief
                    Wisdom is Not Censored
                    Douglas Paul Smallish
                    Jehocifer

amber123's avatar - OpIFNim

United States
                      Member #164727
                      March 12, 2015
                      2512 Posts
                      Posted: November 25, 2015, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

Yes there would be problems, just like now. Green laugh

The only exception would be that I'd be able to handle them more efficiently, timely, and without unnecessary stress this involvement entails. Big Grin

Very simple solution. Managers, professional ones.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                        Member #142499
                        May 13, 2013
                        1182 Posts
                        Posted: November 26, 2015, 12:07 am - IP Logged

Humor this. We finally achieve the "billion dollar Powerball jackpot." Do you really want to be the sole winner? Are you ready for the media attention? You're pretty much going to be forced in to the 'A' list club. I believe if there's only one winner, there's going to be a lot of social pressure to make the winner known to the public. Anonymity will go out the window even in an anonymous state. In fact, it'd probably better to willingly come forward to protect other jackpot winner's anonymity. There hasn't been a lot of media attention on Gloria Mackenzie since her big win. However, I think things will be different if you're an overnight billionaire. Think Edtv. I personally think I could handle it. The first thing I'd do is hire about 5 security guards. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Absolutely. Why? Because I'd be the most boring big lottery winner ever. The press would leave me be once they go weeks with nothing to report. 

Obviously I'd be security conscious, but as long as get all my ducks in a row beforehand, I don't see the issue. 

I don't go clubbing, I don't drink or smoke, I've never done drugs, I know better than to leave thousands of dollars in an unlocked vehicle and I am not (nor will ever be) engaged to a drug dealing ex-con. All my social media accounts are under a nom de guerre and I use a PO Box for all mail which just so happens to be linked to a residence I'm no longer at. 

Every single vice that has gotten lottery winners in trouble in the past are all things that are not in my nature. I'd have no problems hunkering down for a few months while the frenzy blows over. What would I need that Amazon or Costco couldn't deliver to my door. 

If we've learned anything from Gloria it's that the only winners who stay in the news after a year are the ones who put themselves there.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                          Member #118609
                          November 4, 2011
                          932 Posts
                          Posted: November 26, 2015, 1:22 am - IP Logged

Excellent plan Teddi.  Now all we need is a winner!

Greenville, SC
                            United States
                            Member #169870
                            November 4, 2015
                            374 Posts
                            Posted: November 26, 2015, 5:45 am - IP Logged

I think they should keep both games as well. PB should go back down to a dollar per play but keep the odds the same. Of course, the beginning jackpot amount would have to be cut in half.

Greenville, SC
                              United States
                              Member #169870
                              November 4, 2015
                              374 Posts
                              Posted: November 26, 2015, 5:46 am - IP Logged

We are a lot alike. Great plan.

Page 2 of 13