Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Sign the petition - eliminate computerized drawings!

Topic closed. 338 replies. Last post 10 years ago by rdc137.

Page 2 of 23
PrintE-mailLink
emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
Member #14
November 9, 2001
31343 Posts
Posted: August 29, 2004, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

thanks todd - i'm in

love to nibble those micey feet.

Columbia City, Indiana
    United States
    Member #2978
    December 9, 2003
    381 Posts
    Posted: August 29, 2004, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

I signed as well, and I believe we all should. As RickG pointed out, randomness is not the issue. RNG's have a much higher potential for abuse than do mechanical draw machines using ping-pong balls.

The way it works is, first, the lottery introduces a new game, usually a Pick-3 midday game. If they announce it at all, they tell us it will be drawn with an RNG, but they don't bother to give us any details, such as the manufacturer, or how they determine the odds of winning (in a Pick-3 game drawn with ping-pong balls, for example, I know my odds are 10x10x10 = 1,000 to 1 against me). 

Later, they begin using their new toy in the evening games, but they don't tell anyone until after they've been doing it for a while. Then, they announce that they have done "extensive testing" to ensure a high degree of randomness. This "extensive testing" consists of the last few evenings' results, when they notice that their payouts are significantly lower than they were last week, but their sales have remained constant because no one knew they were using the computer to draw the numbers.

Next, they post a press release to their website announcing that all games will henceforth be drawn by the infernal machine, and advising residents that they will no longer be conducting live drawings on television due to lack of player interest, high air-time costs or "broadcasting conflicts." If you protest this policy, they'll tell you that you can still watch a live drawing on site, provided you give them advance notice or make an appointment before showing up. 

Now, everything is in place. Next thing you know, your property taxes are going up because there's no lottery money to pay for schools and roads. All the money the lottery generates is shoveled into your state's policemen's, firemen's and teachers' pension funds to make up the shortages created when your governor's minions emptied them (think very carefully before you tell me I'm wrong about this - it's true, and I have the proof).

I made the following point on another related thread, but I think it deserves repeating here: Your Lottery Director serves at the behest of the Governor who appointed him, and that of the Lottery Commission who employs him. A more effective campaign could be waged by writing directly to your state's governor. Flood his office and his mansion with postal and electronic protests against the introduction of any proposed computerized drawing methods in your state lottery. Remind him of how Arnold Swarzenegger attained his current position. Make it a point to mention that recall elections are not exclusive to California.

Also, don't count on any help from your Attorney General. Even though it's an elected position, it's his job to represent the interests of the state, not those of its residents. In addition, it's his (or her) job to defend any state official who's caught breaking the law, including the governor (again, I've verified this, so I know it's true).

If we work together, I think a very potent players' lobby could be organized here, one which could develop a powerful voice in Washington.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
      FEMA Region V Camp #21
      United States
      Member #520
      July 27, 2002
      5699 Posts
      Posted: August 29, 2004, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Jim,

You have made a good point that we all should heed.  I've already written to to the Lottery Director in my state, but I will now also write to our Governor about this and I urge all players to do the same.

Unrelated to the the lottery, many states are now going to computer touch screens for our presidential elections.  For the last 225 years we have managed to conduct our elections manually.  Now we are introducing computerized voting in many states.  This is even more scary than our lottery playing.....To lose a few bucks a day on the lottery doesn't even come close to the danger we face on losing our vote in an election.....read the news reports on election touch screen computer problems. 

Please take the few minutes and tell these people in power that we want fairness in all matters of our lives.  Computers are for computing, not picking lottery results or elections.  If you can't pick your chads off for your voting ballot or can't pick your numbers for your lottery, you are wasting your time and money.

There are many people out there who would like to affect our lives in many ways with their computer hacking, and it's scary to think that the opportunists, terrorists and war mongers out there are being handed this opportunity on a silver platter.

Complain, vote...otherwise we all lose.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Saleo Paleo's avatar - Trek DS9worm3.gif
        E-Town,Ky
        United States
        Member #3493
        January 25, 2004
        6348 Posts
        Posted: August 29, 2004, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

I will not play in my former home state of Tn, because of there computerized drawings,too many people wasting there money on playing the ones that are computerized,and the ones that has one drawing with ping pong balls and the other one with computer drawings is in my opinion a stupid way of doing anything.And RickG is telling it like it is,clear and straight to the point,in my opinion, take his advice and let us stop all this computerized,Elections and the lottery picks.   

Saleo Paleo    

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: August 29, 2004, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

Top 25 Poster

Standard Member
          Standard Member

Richmond,Ky
          United States
          Member #3560
          January 25, 2004
          1780 Posts

I will not play in my former home state of Tn, because of there computerized drawings,too many people wasting there money on playing the ones that are computerized,and the ones that has one drawing with ping pong balls and the other one with computer drawings is in my opinion a stupid way of doing anything.And RickG is telling it like it is,clear and straight to the point,in my opinion, take his advice and let us stop all this computerized,Elections and the lottery picks.   

TN uses live drawings.. during the week.. with ping pong balls. Why wouldn't you play there?  I am not sure what they use on weekends.. Sometimes it is live.. other times it is not..  I would like to have seen the 655 come out tonight..  It was shocking to say the least...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            3102 Posts
            Posted: August 30, 2004, 2:01 am - IP Logged
            tntea: you might find a clue in the Tn lottery press release the the newest game, considering this is their second game how many non-computerized games can there be, Powerball is multi-state that is still drawn with real balls. BobP 

PICK 5 FOR FUN! LOTTERY INTRODUCES NEWEST COMPUTERIZED GAME

The Tennessee Lottery today unveiled its newest computerized game, Lotto 5, set to launch August 29. Prizes will be paid in cash, and the top prize will likely range from the tens of thousands to more than one-hundred thousand dollars.
              Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
              Norfolk , Va
              United States
              Member #4541
              May 2, 2004
              25092 Posts
              Posted: August 30, 2004, 9:26 am - IP Logged

Todd , I signed your petition. I'd rather see the draws on tv than be told this is the # some computer came up with. Thanks.

Blackie

Morrison, IL
                United States
                Member #4657
                May 13, 2004
                1884 Posts
                Posted: August 30, 2004, 11:17 am - IP Logged

Computers are taking over everything.  Get used to it.  That's just the way the 21st century is.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23260 Posts
                  Posted: August 30, 2004, 11:57 am - IP Logged

ryanm, that's patronizing, especially to someone who built this site from the ground-up.  There will always be people such as yourself who shuts their eyes to any possible corruption.  Unfortunately, in my home state of New Jersey that happens again and again, and now even affected the governor's office.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                    Member #91
                    January 19, 2002
                    11927 Posts
                    Posted: August 31, 2004, 9:30 am - IP Logged

I signed the petition, good luck Todd! (for all of us) 

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Lotto Czar's avatar - sam
                      Harrisburg, Pa.
                      United States
                      Member #3093
                      December 23, 2003
                      233 Posts
                      Posted: August 31, 2004, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

Big scandal in Pa.  the other week on Mid-day Big 4.  Same four digit number came up 4 times in 7 days; maybe computer generated isn't all that random.  I'm sure it is, but I signed anyway.  Can have trouble with bouncing balls but not if precautions are taken, as they are.

years ago Pa had a "hearts and diamonds  on-line game, a basically a 5/26 lotto  which was video generated by computer.  It didn't seem too popular, although i played all the time and won once in a while.  Perhaps people didn'[t trust the computer. 

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
                        The Quantum Master
                        West Concord, MN
                        United States
                        Member #21
                        December 7, 2001
                        3675 Posts
                        Posted: August 31, 2004, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Signed.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
                        Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
                        Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
                        Knowledge is Beyond Belief
                        Wisdom is Not Censored
                        Douglas Paul Smallish
                        Jehocifer

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: August 31, 2004, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

Me too!

www.winnerspost.com
                            China
                            Member #5793
                            July 22, 2004
                            185 Posts
                            Posted: September 1, 2004, 4:26 am - IP Logged

Did it.I just dont like tricky games

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                              Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23260 Posts
                              Posted: September 1, 2004, 7:44 am - IP Logged

To all who have signed - thanks for your support!

To all who haven't - please read the petition, and sign it if you wish to suport the cause!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Page 2 of 23