Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Sign the petition - eliminate computerized drawings!

Topic closed. 338 replies. Last post 10 years ago by rdc137.

Page 4 of 23
PrintE-mailLink
LosingJeff's avatar - flower
Greenfield
United States
Member #3587
February 2, 2004
557 Posts
Posted: November 13, 2004, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

Ive said it before, I will hit the powerball before I hit a daily game here in Indiana! The odds of hitting the powerball are much better!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: November 21, 2004, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

what we need to do is find out the next state that plans on doing this and just really get out there and protest and raise all kinds of you know what and maybe mix the media in with it and get publicity and ignite a movement against this.all it needs is a big spark of some kind and we can get this publicized.........

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: November 22, 2004, 9:43 pm - IP Logged
      Quote: Originally posted by LOTTOMIKE on November 21, 2004

what we need to do is find out the next state that plans on doing this and just really get out there and protest and raise all kinds of you know what and maybe mix the media in with it and get publicity and ignite a movement against this.all it needs is a big spark of some kind and we can get this publicized.........

Watch out, the next state might be TN. But WA, MA, and the Tri-State games are are also likely targets to RigSoft.

(insert signature here)

Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: December 3, 2004, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

have you heard what state might be next to be computerized???  hopefully it won't be tennessee.i don't know where you heard that.i hate it because to me its harder to have a formula to hit these computerized drawings plus the ball drawings have a certain liveliness to them and makes it fun as you watch the numbers drop its exciting.a computerized drawing where the numbers just pop up on the screen lacks the heart and soul of a ball drawing.....

clevelan
          United States
          Member #8073
          October 23, 2004
          12 Posts
          Posted: December 4, 2004, 12:26 am - IP Logged

Lottomike, Your absolutely right!  This is what we all need to do.  Todd is doing great with the petition, that was a genius idea!  Just like you said, he (and the rest of us) need to get this topic into the media more.  Not just states on the verge of going computerized now, because EVERY state that has lottery is probably already being contacted by the companies that sell computerized draw machines.  Maybe write into the local newspaper columns, contact tv news shows (Dateline,20/20,60minutes,48 hours,etc) contact cable news shows (MSNBC, CNN,etc)  Keith Oberman on MSNBC covers a wide variety of offbeat news stories that most news shows would not consider important.  I've seen people on that show discussing the most trivial topics like a toasted cheese sandwich.  I'm sure he would probably be interested in this.  Why not post signs at all the stores where they sell lottery tickets?  Tell customers to sign a petition and whats about to happen.  The state lottery should have the courtesy to ask its players what they think about this matter.  They do not even ask us, that is what really makes me mad.  They act like they can make the big decision and we will all follow like lost sheep and keep playing. 

clevelan
            United States
            Member #8073
            October 23, 2004
            12 Posts
            Posted: December 4, 2004, 1:05 am - IP Logged

We also need a petition for people who do not have computers to sign.  A petition that we can get people to sign outside the lottery terminals and go door to door to get signatures. Outside Bingo halls and church groups and bars.  Post flyers and post them in public where lottery gamblers are likely.  Most people will sign if the person smiles and is friendly.  LP is very famous but Most lottery players are still  not even aware of LP.

Columbia City, Indiana
              United States
              Member #2978
              December 9, 2003
              381 Posts
              Posted: December 4, 2004, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

We need a minimum of 5,000 signatures in order to solicit federal sponsorship. This won't guarantee that congress will get behind us and support the needed legislation, but it does guarantee us an audience with a congressman or senator. The feds don't like to involve themselves in state issues but, given the growing trend of state lotteries instituting RNG's with no live drawing, I truly believe we can get this done.

As most of you know, I've contacted newspapers, investigative reporters, news magazines such as 60 Minutes, 48 Hours, MSNBC Investigates and more. I've sent what I've gathered on the Hoosier Lottery to Geraldo Rivera, Erin Moriarty, Bill Curtiss and even  Oprah Winfrey (this is what desperation will drive you to, folks). With the exception of Kevin Leininger of the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, no one in the news media wants this story. We'll have to wait until somebody flips out and goes on a rampage at their state lottery headquarters; until then, it won't be considered newsworthy.

I also printed out a stand-alone version of the petition and distributed it to lottery retailers throughout a wide area (from Warsaw, IN to New Haven, IN) over several weeks. Unfortunately, most of them disappeared within just a few days, and those that were still where I left them had only a few signatures each, and some were still blank. I suspect that either Hoosier Lottery personnel or the retailers themselves removed these petitions, since it seems logical that they would adversely affect sales. Each of these petitions allows for 60 signatures. Out of the 62 I distributed, I have 37 valid signatures (some people think it's fun to sign "Bugs Bunny," "I.P. Freely" or "Seymour Butts," etc.).

I like the fact that you guys are so fired up about this issue. LOTTOMIKE has been one of our biggest supporters in exposing the Hoosier Lottery. This is not an easy road to travel, though, and it has become obvious over time that the state legislators and lottery officials LosingJeff and I met with were only interested in learning exactly what and how much we knew. They adamantly oppose shutting down the Hoosier Lottery because they don't want to lose the perceived revenue (in fact, the state would lose very little, since 78% of Indiana's lottery revenues go directly into the Policemen's Firemen's and Teachers' Pension Fund). In my opinion, they're actually more worried about covering their own butts and keeping their jobs than they are about restoring honesty and integrity to the games.

I don't want to discourage you from trying; by all means, GET IN THERE AND FIGHT!!! I just want to point out that the obvious avenues aren't always the most productive, so be prepared to hear "No" a lot. Most of the time, they just choose to ignore you as not worthy of a response (I'm still waiting for a reply from our Republican Chief of Staff, to whom I sent an email on the day following the election). 

Maybe duplicity is just what we need here. As it stands, they're only ignoring LosingJeff and me, but if enough people bombard them with enough correspondence, they'll be compelled to do something just to stop the flow of incoming demands and queries. This would be effective against the news media, too. Write letters to the editor; send emails and make phone calls to TV news magazines. Contact information for their reporters is displayed on their various websites, so pick one and let them feel your wrath. If enough people write in complaining about the same thing, they'll turn it into a demographic and might do a story on it.

I always make it a point to refer them to LotteryPost.com to see what's being said, and I would consider it a personal favor if you would do the same, since this is where it all began. I have no personal or financial stake in this forum, but I like to generate publicity for LP whenever I can; strength in numbers and all that. Whenever possible, I refer to a relevant news story that's currently posted on the home page. 

Thanks to all who have signed the petition. With a little luck and some effort, we'll eradicate these RNG's, and make the states realize that we won't play anything but honest games with televised drawings.  

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: December 4, 2004, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

yeah you are right we are the little guys here and those legislators don't wanna take the chance on losing their jobs over this.all it takes is one chance to get a foot in the door somewhere there and when that door comes open barrel through and make it count.i wish i were closer to indiana i would actually bug the living daylights out of them until they had no choice but to listen.persistance is the best thing in this situation.i would keep on them and not let up.take all the statistical data showing how all these states are compared to indiana.let them know these numbers aren't adding up that the thing is rigged because there is just no way the payouts could be a measly 5 grand a day...there are half a million people in indianapolis alone and i know there has to be more people playing than they say there is.we need that one chance to expose them and when we do it'll be worth it.....what i would love is to get congress attention and put a stop to anymore states ever going computerized because its all an excuse for the states to make it even tougher than it already is.plus not having a ball drawing takes the fun out of it too...if we play these games shouldn't we be able to vote on whether or not they go computerized???

LosingJeff's avatar - flower
                  Greenfield
                  United States
                  Member #3587
                  February 2, 2004
                  557 Posts
                  Posted: December 4, 2004, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

We are working on it Mike. Your support in this area has not only been tremendous, but is also motivating. Trust me, we have come a long way on this issue. As Jim mentioned earlier, Lottery Post has played an integral part in keeping our hopes alive. Todd is running a great site here, and I honestly believe that Todd's fame and fortune is around the corner. We need to keep the fire going and hold legislators accountable for letting the Lotteries become scandalous. Is it too much to ask for a fair Lottery? Apparently the rocket scientists that came up with the RNG dont realize that after everyone is broke the Lottery will collapse. People must win in order to keep playing. Common sense just doesnt exist anymore. There are just too many so-called educated people who have no common sense simply because they have spent no time in the mud with the rest of the people. The days of John Wayne, Chesty Puller, Teddy Roosevelt, Chester Nimitz, Eisenhower, etc are gone. There are a few remnants left like Jim 695 who maintain the OLD SCHOOL traits. We need Hero's again like the aforementioned in order to keep this Country great and FREE! Remember, the people run this Country, the Legislators work for us. Lets get this petition signed by the people for the people.

Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: December 6, 2004, 2:55 am - IP Logged

i want to do this not only for indiana but for all states because there are more people just like losingjeff in other computerized states having the same problems...i would love to put an end to this just like others do too...i look at this like a cancer and its infested the lottery in america and if we don't do something it will spread until all states end up computerized and the cancer will have killed the lottery in america as we know it as a fun game to play......i think in my opinion someone is gonna come along maybe its todd..that will be a hero for stopping this computerized nonsense...i think we can fight together and get a law passed banning computerized drawings as unconstitutional to lottery players rights to play a fair game without the outcome maybe being predetermined by a computer...at least with a ball drawing you are seeing a live drawing and know you very well have a good shot at winning...this whole computerized nonsense leaves me with a cold feeling because you just get a sense someone is in a backroom just posting a set of numbers that they think should win...quite possibly whatever numbers were the least bought or not bought at all..........

Saleo Paleo's avatar - Trek DS9worm3.gif
                      E-Town,Ky
                      United States
                      Member #3493
                      January 25, 2004
                      6348 Posts
                      Posted: December 6, 2004, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

I thought Tn's was computerized It is my home state and I will not play in it.

Saleo Paleo    

Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: December 6, 2004, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

tennessee is not computerized!

Saleo Paleo's avatar - Trek DS9worm3.gif
                          E-Town,Ky
                          United States
                          Member #3493
                          January 25, 2004
                          6348 Posts
                          Posted: December 6, 2004, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

It was supposed to be when they started it.

Saleo Paleo    

Tennessee
                            United States
                            Member #7853
                            October 15, 2004
                            11338 Posts
                            Posted: December 7, 2004, 1:52 am - IP Logged

tennessee has been ball oriented from the start luckily because i'll say this..the day it isn't i'm not playing.....

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                              San Angelo, Texas
                              United States
                              Member #1097
                              January 31, 2003
                              1394 Posts
                              Posted: December 8, 2004, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

What is the status of the petition?

Curious to know if a federal politician has introduced a bill to ban computer drawings.

Tks

Robert

Page 4 of 23