Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 2:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

quick pick or your own numbers

Topic closed. 252 replies. Last post 11 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 5 of 17
PrintE-mailLink

do you quick pick or choose your own numbers?

quick pick [ 32 ]  [12.65%]
choose your own numbers [ 95 ]  [37.55%]
both [ 126 ]  [49.80%]
Total Valid Votes [ 253 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 66 ]  

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: May 7, 2005, 9:33 am - IP Logged

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: May 7, 2005, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

I dunno. I just read old articles about a Brooklyn, NY Mega Millions $128 million jackpot winner. After seeing him spend $5 on QP's, I just gotta start spending some $$$ on "ole reliable" QP's.

quick picks are good too...

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: May 8, 2005, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

I still prefer picking numbers.

Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: May 8, 2005, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

i pick my own for powerball last night.....

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: May 9, 2005, 9:33 am - IP Logged

If you prefer annuity, you won't win regardless of whether you choose quick pick.

Columbia City, Indiana
            United States
            Member #2978
            December 9, 2003
            381 Posts
            Posted: May 10, 2005, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

I believe people who pick their own numbers have a slight edge over those who prefer QuickPicks.

Biglooooser is correct; you are at the mercy of the previous players' numbers when you buy a QuickPick. I've tried the suggested experiment, although with different numbers, and he's right; the terminal seems to regurgitate many of the numbers on the previous ticket. When the PowerBall jackpot reaches $80M or more, I'll buy twenty QuickPicks (no PowerPlay), along with the losing numbers I've been playing for the past twenty years. When I get home, I check my QuickPicks to find the numbers I don't have in any combination. Normally, there are between six and eight numbers from the white field which don't appear anywhere in the twenty supposedly random choices generated by the terminal, but there have been rare occasions when I'm missing too many numbers to justify the additional expenditure. When this happens, I usually just go to bed and pray a lot.   

Once I've identified the missing numbers, I wheel them to form as many combinations as I can. I then discard any combinations which contain three or more consecutive numbers, so I usually end up with another ten or fifteen numbers to play. So far, I've hit a hundred dollars on five separate occasions using this method, but it's been a while since I've won that much.

I only buy the PowerPlay on my own numbers which, as I mentioned, I've been playing for twenty years. They've never won a jackpot for me, but nobody likes a quitter; when the new matrix is instituted, those numbers are bound to hit together within the next 1.7 million years, as I play every possible permutation. In other words, I use every number as the PowerBall, except one, because it exceeds the upper limit of the red field, so I have five numbers to play twice a week, with the PowerPlay. For a few weeks, I was winning enough to pay for next week's tickets but, naturally, that went away just when I was beginning to think I had stumbled onto something.

People who study the numbers have a decided advantage, in my opinion, over those who rely on dumb luck. Simple statistical analyses can reduce your odds significantly. These can include frequency analysis, positional analysis, grouping, partnered numbers (two or more that tend to hit together), value analysis (assigns a value between -5 and +5 to each number in the field), color-coding or graphing. Even if you're able to correctly eliminate only one number from the entire field, you have a better chance of winning than the guy standing behind you who wants a single QuickPick. Lightning does strike, but how many of us here are willing to climb a tree during a thunderstorm? I think most of us would find the longest metal pole we could find to make sure the... um... lightning struck us... instead of the guy... you know... standing behind us...

(*sigh*) 

Okay, so that analogy got away from me a little bit, but you know what I'm trying to say. The simple fact is, the more numbers you can eliminate from the field, the better your chances of winning, and that's true of any lottery game. 

If you're going to play QuickPicks, why not take Lazyjim's advice and randomly select the numbers yourself? Overall, I'm sure you'll do at least as well as the machine, and probably better, since it's likely you won't know which numbers the last customer played.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5143 Posts
              Posted: May 10, 2005, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

GREAT>>>>>>>>>>>THREAD:

After several..............Years.....................of knocking my head against the

wall of super loto software.....................I went to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! QUICK-PICKsssssssss! NOT to say.........I lost my PRIDE, but....................

I did lose my time...................................Now, I play 66% QP & 33%!!!!!!! paper.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOTS  of LUCK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PSYKOMO 

LosingJeff's avatar - flower
                Greenfield
                United States
                Member #3587
                February 2, 2004
                557 Posts
                Posted: May 11, 2005, 8:07 am - IP Logged

Quick picks are really great! I bought two straight quick picks for the daily 4 the other day here in Indiana. They came out back to back and were the same number. Be glad to send them to Todd if no one believes it.

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: May 11, 2005, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

I believe people who pick their own numbers have a slight edge over those who prefer QuickPicks.

Biglooooser is correct; you are at the mercy of the previous players' numbers when you buy a QuickPick. I've tried the suggested experiment, although with different numbers, and he's right; the terminal seems to regurgitate many of the numbers on the previous ticket. When the PowerBall jackpot reaches $80M or more, I'll buy twenty QuickPicks (no PowerPlay), along with the losing numbers I've been playing for the past twenty years. When I get home, I check my QuickPicks to find the numbers I don't have in any combination. Normally, there are between six and eight numbers from the white field which don't appear anywhere in the twenty supposedly random choices generated by the terminal, but there have been rare occasions when I'm missing too many numbers to justify the additional expenditure. When this happens, I usually just go to bed and pray a lot.   

Once I've identified the missing numbers, I wheel them to form as many combinations as I can. I then discard any combinations which contain three or more consecutive numbers, so I usually end up with another ten or fifteen numbers to play. So far, I've hit a hundred dollars on five separate occasions using this method, but it's been a while since I've won that much.

I only buy the PowerPlay on my own numbers which, as I mentioned, I've been playing for twenty years. They've never won a jackpot for me, but nobody likes a quitter; when the new matrix is instituted, those numbers are bound to hit together within the next 1.7 million years, as I play every possible permutation. In other words, I use every number as the PowerBall, except one, because it exceeds the upper limit of the red field, so I have five numbers to play twice a week, with the PowerPlay. For a few weeks, I was winning enough to pay for next week's tickets but, naturally, that went away just when I was beginning to think I had stumbled onto something.

People who study the numbers have a decided advantage, in my opinion, over those who rely on dumb luck. Simple statistical analyses can reduce your odds significantly. These can include frequency analysis, positional analysis, grouping, partnered numbers (two or more that tend to hit together), value analysis (assigns a value between -5 and +5 to each number in the field), color-coding or graphing. Even if you're able to correctly eliminate only one number from the entire field, you have a better chance of winning than the guy standing behind you who wants a single QuickPick. Lightning does strike, but how many of us here are willing to climb a tree during a thunderstorm? I think most of us would find the longest metal pole we could find to make sure the... um... lightning struck us... instead of the guy... you know... standing behind us...

(*sigh*) 

Okay, so that analogy got away from me a little bit, but you know what I'm trying to say. The simple fact is, the more numbers you can eliminate from the field, the better your chances of winning, and that's true of any lottery game. 

If you're going to play QuickPicks, why not take Lazyjim's advice and randomly select the numbers yourself? Overall, I'm sure you'll do at least as well as the machine, and probably better, since it's likely you won't know which numbers the last customer played.

Yeah, but in order for such a system to work, one would have to buy more than one or two tickets per drawing.  A single pick of your own numbers is no more likely to win than a single quick pick.

I tried doing a statistical analysis once, but I didn't know what conclusions to draw other than which numbers have been picked a lot, which numbers are average, and which ones haven't been picked much.  Those still don't mean anything because it's too random.  Therefore, I just said screw it and just continue to play quick picks.

Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: May 12, 2005, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

i believe its all luck,if it happens it happens.

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: May 14, 2005, 11:21 am - IP Logged

I remember when QP was not available.

United States
                        Member #1826
                        July 11, 2003
                        2645 Posts
                        Posted: May 18, 2005, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

I remember when QP was not available.

So do I, and I'm a lot younger than you. A lot younger than most of you.

(insert signature here)

Tennessee
                          United States
                          Member #7853
                          October 15, 2004
                          11338 Posts
                          Posted: May 21, 2005, 3:51 am - IP Logged

tennessee had cash 3 for a good while before they had quick pick as an option...

United States
                            Member #379
                            June 5, 2002
                            11296 Posts
                            Posted: May 26, 2005, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

I'm 41 (42 in July).

Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: May 27, 2005, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

i'm wondering when the next powerball winner will be one who chooses their own numbers...

Page 5 of 17