Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's with NY Sweet Million??

Topic closed. 516 replies. Last post 5 years ago by kapla.

Page 34 of 35
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #171
April 7, 2002
181 Posts
Posted: July 18, 2011, 8:58 am - IP Logged

GiveFive:  Looks like both of us were half correct...Odds of Mega 5 w/o MB and SM 6 about the same... PB 5 w/o PB odds are higher like you stated...

From NY Lottery Web-site: 

5 + Powerball
Grand Prize
1 in: 195,249,054.00
$200,000
1 in: 5,138,133.00

PRIZE LEVEL
WINNING NUMBERS MATCHED PER GAME
CHANCES OF WINNING PER GAME
PRIZE
First
5 + Mega Ball
1 in: 175,711,536
JACKPOT*
Second
1 in: 3,904,701
$250,000*

Sweet Million is your best chance from the New York Lottery to win a million for just a buck. Take a gander at the odds in the chart below.

Numbers Matched
Prize*
CHANCES OF WINNING
6 out of 6
$1,000,000 Cash
1 in: 3,838,380
    GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
    NY State
    United States
    Member #92609
    June 10, 2010
    3818 Posts
    Posted: July 18, 2011, 10:21 am - IP Logged

GiveFive:  Looks like both of us were half correct...Odds of Mega 5 w/o MB and SM 6 about the same... PB 5 w/o PB odds are higher like you stated...

5 + Powerball
    Grand Prize
    $200,000

PRIZE LEVEL
    PRIZE
    First
    5 + Mega Ball
    JACKPOT*
    Second
    $250,000*

Sweet Million is your best chance from the New York Lottery to win a million for just a buck. Take a gander at the odds in the chart below.

Numbers Matched
    Prize*
    CHANCES OF WINNING
    6 out of 6
    $1,000,000 Cash

Right Jacal, I didnt think about Mega.... probably because I dont pay any attention to it, and I dont play it at all.  It's bad enough that I play PB.  But in reality, I dont play PB all that much.  For instance, I **think** the PB jackpot stands at about 70 million, but I doubt I'll play it Wednesday night.  I've no idea what the MM JP is at. 

I guess I've been playing the wrong multi-state game. MM has lower odds for the JP, and 2nd place is $250,000 and a million bucks if you buy the megaplier.  PB's odd's are 20 million to one higher than MM's for the JP, and $200,000 for 2nd, but PB's odds for winning 2nd are higher. Buying The PowerPlay does take you to 1 million for 2nd.  I dont know all odds for the games, all I really know is they're astronomically against players.

I do agree that SM's odds are by far the best chance at a million.  If you check other states lottery's websites, you wont find any games like it.  My thinking is if doesnt fly in the largest lottery market in The USA (The State of New York) it would be problematic in other states where the population is far lower than NY's 19 million residents.  As an example take The State of Georgia.  In 2010 there were 9.7 million people living in Georgia. That state just doesnt have the opportunity to sell as many tickets as NY does.  They have the potential to sell only half the number of tickets NY can sell because they have half the number of players.  Remember, all 19 million people living in NY arent players.  Some are under the age of 21, and some never play the lottery.  I wonder how many regular lottery players there are living in NY. And dont forget there are many commuters from Ct and NJ riding trains into Manhattan everyday.  Some of them buy their tickets in NYC.

It's funny, SM definitely is the smart buy, but regular players dont think so!!  Crazy, aint it?

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
      Member #94616
      July 24, 2010
      4735 Posts
      Posted: July 18, 2011, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

5 + Powerball
      Grand Prize
      $200,000

PRIZE LEVEL
      PRIZE
      First
      5 + Mega Ball
      JACKPOT*
      Second
      $250,000*

Numbers Matched
      Prize*
      CHANCES OF WINNING
      6 out of 6
      $1,000,000 Cash

This is WHY I spend money when they have the PROMO's like this month - $.62 cents a ticket (8 for 5$)

United States
        Member #94616
        July 24, 2010
        4735 Posts
        Posted: August 1, 2011, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

Promo is over... BUT! I bought $5 worth of SW on Saturday and got the $3 free for tonights game!! Thumbs Up

United States
          Member #94616
          July 24, 2010
          4735 Posts
          Posted: August 3, 2011, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

YUP! now that the PROMO is over look how low the number of 2nd place winners feel to - 16!!! 

They need to make this game like Lotto - 2 games for a $1! With NO increase in the odds!

United States
            Member #94616
            July 24, 2010
            4735 Posts
            Posted: August 8, 2011, 5:57 am - IP Logged

30's are due to hit, only had 1 hit each of the last 6 (except for 7/21)

NY State
              United States
              Member #92609
              June 10, 2010
              3818 Posts
              Posted: August 11, 2011, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

Here's one for ya.

I just ran out and bought 3 dollars QP tonite's SM.

The kid running the lotto machine says; "Do you want three separate tickets, or is just one OK?'

I said; "What difference does that make?"

The kid says; "I dunno, but some people are real picky when it comes to how they take their lottery tickets. They never win, so I guess it doesnt matter, but they want 'em how they want 'em, and that's how they want 'em."

So, are any of you guys that picky, or is just one ticket OK?  And if you are that picky, how come?????

Me?  Whaddaya think I'm nuts??  I took 3 lines on the same ticket. Geesh!

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
                Member #94616
                July 24, 2010
                4735 Posts
                Posted: August 12, 2011, 5:55 am - IP Logged

Here's one for ya.

The kid running the lotto machine says; "Do you want three separate tickets, or is just one OK?'

The kid says; "I dunno, but some people are real picky when it comes to how they take their lottery tickets. They never win, so I guess it doesnt matter, but they want 'em how they want 'em, and that's how they want 'em."

So, are any of you guys that picky, or is just one ticket OK?  And if you are that picky, how come?????

Sounds like he is mixing up the OLD Win4 tickets, before they would auto print on separate tickets. 

NY State
                  United States
                  Member #92609
                  June 10, 2010
                  3818 Posts
                  Posted: August 12, 2011, 6:26 am - IP Logged

Here's one for ya.

One winner of last nite's SM JP of $1,000,000 on Staten Island.  Will miracles never cease?

See?  It dont make no difference if you take all your lines on one ticket.....  Just look at me.  I took all my lines on one ticket, and I won.  I had half of the numbers.  I won a whoppin' 3 bucks!  Wooohoooo!

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                    Rochester
                    United States
                    Member #103282
                    January 1, 2011
                    606 Posts
                    Posted: August 12, 2011, 6:31 am - IP Logged

There hasn't been a Sweet Million million dollar winner since March 13.  If the odds are so much better (about 1 out of 4 million) than NY Lotto, Powerball or Mega Millions, why are there so few winners?  Are the Sweet Million tickets not selling, I don't get it?

Jacal5,They had a winner last night.

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

NY State
                      United States
                      Member #92609
                      June 10, 2010
                      3818 Posts
                      Posted: August 18, 2011, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

So I'm rollin home tonite, and I decide to stop and snag me some SM tix.  But since I dont track it, and I dont know the SM numbers at all, it's QP City for me.  But I figgered that I'm too slick to get snookered by the machine, so I'll just play me some partial QP's.  That way I wont get no skanky lookin lines.  Right?

Wrong.

I took a look at the third line on the ticket, and what do I see?

24 25 26 and 27, THAT's what I see!!!!   How the hell did that happen???????

NY State
                        United States
                        Member #92609
                        June 10, 2010
                        3818 Posts
                        Posted: August 19, 2011, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

In May of last year, Jacal5 started this thread by asking a simple question, "What's with NY Sweet Million??"

We later learned, according to The NY Lottery itself, that SM has "a coverage problem", meaning that not a large enough percentage of the almost 3.9 million 6 number combo's is "covered" for each drawing that would produce a JP winner on a regular basis.  (In other words, The NY Lottery cant sell enough tickets with enough lines on them that would cover a large portion of the total possible 6 digit combo's.)

Some people here also complained/argued that the lower tier prizes offered by SM are too small.

Here's a quote from The Director of the fast growing Arizona Lottery, the fastest growing lottery in the nation:

"When times are tough, people need a good rate of return if they're going to play the game," Hatch-Miller said. "It's better that they play the game — even though (the state) gets a slightly smaller percentage — than they don't play it at all."

Gee, they "get it" in Arizona, dont they?  Make no mistake, they "get it" in NY too.  Except they are not willing to take a slightly smaller percentage. 

Lottery players in The State of New York have voted with their feet with regard to Sweet Million.  NY can keep harping on the fact that SM has the best odds of winning a million dollars all they want. That wont change how the players feel one bit. The players will still walk out of the store without a SM ticket in their pocket, unless NY wise's up and makes the game more attractive than it currently is.

United States
                          Member #94616
                          July 24, 2010
                          4735 Posts
                          Posted: September 3, 2011, 3:41 am - IP Logged

In May of last year, Jacal5 started this thread by asking a simple question, "What's with NY Sweet Million??"

We later learned, according to The NY Lottery itself, that SM has "a coverage problem", meaning that not a large enough percentage of the almost 3.9 million 6 number combo's is "covered" for each drawing that would produce a JP winner on a regular basis.  (In other words, The NY Lottery cant sell enough tickets with enough lines on them that would cover a large portion of the total possible 6 digit combo's.)

Some people here also complained/argued that the lower tier prizes offered by SM are too small.

Here's a quote from The Director of the fast growing Arizona Lottery, the fastest growing lottery in the nation:

"When times are tough, people need a good rate of return if they're going to play the game," Hatch-Miller said. "It's better that they play the game — even though (the state) gets a slightly smaller percentage — than they don't play it at all."

Gee, they "get it" in Arizona, dont they?  Make no mistake, they "get it" in NY too.  Except they are not willing to take a slightly smaller percentage. 

Lottery players in The State of New York have voted with their feet with regard to Sweet Million.  NY can keep harping on the fact that SM has the best odds of winning a million dollars all they want. That wont change how the players feel one bit. The players will still walk out of the store without a SM ticket in their pocket, unless NY wise's up and makes the game more attractive than it currently is.

Yup that is why I have been saying they need to have the PROMO's *FULL* time on this game.. just change them up each month..

NY State
                            United States
                            Member #92609
                            June 10, 2010
                            3818 Posts
                            Posted: September 6, 2011, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

I sent an e-mail to The NY Lottery and asked them what was the total number of lines/games sold for the 8/18/2011 Sweet Million drawing.  Their answer was 358,957.  (Total sales in dollars was $358,957)

That's a little more than 9% of the total possible number of lines/games that could be sold, which is 3,838,380.  That means 91% of the possible number of lines that could be sold, went unsold.  And... it's possible that some of the lines that were sold, were sold more than once. (Although I doubt there were very many tickets sold that had a line on them where the exact same set of six numbers was sold elsewhere in The State of New York.)  Duplicate lines being sold raises the percentage of unsold combinations.

So it's not surprising there are no JP winners.  To win a JP, the 6 number combo has to come from the pool of sold numbers which was 358,957.  But if the pool of unsold six number combo's is 3,479,423  which is almost 10 times bigger than the sold pool, then the chance of a JP not being hit is 10 times greater. 

Think of a pizza pie with 8 slices.  One slice represents the sold pool where a JP can be won.  The other seven slices represents the unsold pool of six number combo's, where it's impossible for a JP winner to come from.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #99032
                              October 18, 2010
                              1439 Posts
                              Posted: September 6, 2011, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

"Although I doubt there were very many tickets sold that had a line on them where the exact same set of six numbers was sold elsewhere in The State of New York."

- You'd be suprised.  Think of it like this, once 5 percent of the possible combos are sold, there is a 1 in 20 chance that your ticket matches someones elses.

There's a distribution which desvcribes it very well, but I haven't studied it.  It shows many combos you'd expect to have covered after how many are bought, assuming QPs.  The distribution obviously can't apply to SPs, but that's a different story.

Page 34 of 35