Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:12 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some number combinations have better odds?

Topic closed. 5280 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 97 of 353
PrintE-mailLink
RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
Member #59354
March 13, 2008
4088 Posts
Posted: September 21, 2012, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Ronnie316

Filling out the play slips would be a big challenge and there is always the chance one could make a mistake.

In my other life I work in electronics mostly in industrial controls and I have thought of building a printer just

for lottery bet slips.  Some printers can print betslips but they require constant adjustments because the play

slips are cut a little different each run.  This make using a printer to fill them out more of a hassle then a help.

It would be easy to design and build a dedicated playslip printer but the cost would be too much to just build

a single unit for self use.   My idea would be a flatbed printer where the playslips were stacked on top of each

other and have a x/y carriage with a vertical dobber.  Much like a cnc plotter where the print head moves and the

playslips are stationary.  All a person would have to do is align the print head is move it to the first number on

the first line.  This would overcome the problem where the playslips are cut a little different.  If I knew that something

like this would catch on I would try to market one.  Filling out playslips for me is the worst part of playing as my eyes

are not as good as they once were, lol.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: September 21, 2012, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Ronnie316

Filling out the play slips would be a big challenge and there is always the chance one could make a mistake.

In my other life I work in electronics mostly in industrial controls and I have thought of building a printer just

for lottery bet slips.  Some printers can print betslips but they require constant adjustments because the play

slips are cut a little different each run.  This make using a printer to fill them out more of a hassle then a help.

It would be easy to design and build a dedicated playslip printer but the cost would be too much to just build

a single unit for self use.   My idea would be a flatbed printer where the playslips were stacked on top of each

other and have a x/y carriage with a vertical dobber.  Much like a cnc plotter where the print head moves and the

playslips are stationary.  All a person would have to do is align the print head is move it to the first number on

the first line.  This would overcome the problem where the playslips are cut a little different.  If I knew that something

like this would catch on I would try to market one.  Filling out playslips for me is the worst part of playing as my eyes

RL

My idea would be to print the slip itself with boxes checked to avoid alignment issues.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19901 Posts
      Posted: September 21, 2012, 11:07 am - IP Logged

Ronnie316

RL

As states start allowing players to buy tickets on line, they may include a feature that allows them to just dump a text file with all the combinations and then play slips won't be needed to play a bunch of lines.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19901 Posts
        Posted: September 21, 2012, 11:12 am - IP Logged

Does it mean that Tues. draw only used 35 numbers??

Tuesday, September 18, 2012
        05 · 09 · 22 · 36 · 49    363$15 Million
        Friday, September 14, 201216 · 17 · 21 · 40 · 51    204$12 Million
        Tuesday, September 11, 201205 · 11 · 20 · 33 · 36    113$120 Million
        Friday, September 07, 201215 · 32 · 38 · 42 · 46    314$105 Million
        Tuesday, September 04, 201216 · 32 · 39 · 41 · 53    163$93 Million
        Friday, August 31, 201231 · 40 · 41 · 47 · 48    45

No, it means it used 55 numbers in 35 drawings.  One of the five winning numbers was the 55th number in the list of 56 which was in the 35th drawing back.

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: September 21, 2012, 11:12 am - IP Logged

As states start allowing players to buy tickets on line, they may include a feature that allows them to just dump a text file with all the combinations and then play slips won't be needed to play a bunch of lines.

True, one of the things I asked my local lottery office was why don't the play slips have a boxing and keying feature??? They didnt have an answer but I would assume they don't want to appear to be promoting large wagers. (as associated with problem gambling)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19901 Posts
            Posted: September 21, 2012, 11:23 am - IP Logged

True, one of the things I asked my local lottery office was why don't the play slips have a boxing and keying feature??? They didnt have an answer but I would assume they don't want to appear to be promoting large wagers. (as associated with problem gambling)

Also when local lotteries like our Classic Lotto (6/49) had jackpots of $50M with cash values of $25M, anyone with $14M could just ask to play all the combinations and be guaranteed a share of the jackpot if not all of it.

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: September 21, 2012, 11:24 am - IP Logged

Also when local lotteries like our Classic Lotto (6/49) had jackpots of $50M with cash values of $25M, anyone with $14M could just ask to play all the combinations and be guaranteed a share of the jackpot if not all of it.

It would be nice to make the wager on one ticket though. lol. lol.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19901 Posts
                Posted: September 21, 2012, 11:31 am - IP Logged

It would be nice to make the wager on one ticket though. lol. lol.

They may some day allow you to wheels a small group of numbers as they  now allow you the play pick3, pick4 and pick5 box which covers all the possible ways those numbers can be drawn.

Evil Looking       

JAP69's avatar - alas
                  South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #6
                  November 4, 2001
                  8797 Posts
                  Posted: September 21, 2012, 11:49 am - IP Logged

Brillant Idea

Oo'Ka

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19901 Posts
                    Posted: September 21, 2012, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

I guess they would still have to limit the number of lines that could be played in one setting or else there would be a situation like Massachusetts had with its WindFall game.  Big spenders from out of state would start coming in and locals would stop playing.

Evil Looking       

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                      Member #59354
                      March 13, 2008
                      4088 Posts
                      Posted: September 21, 2012, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

RJ

This would be a dream come true,  I will contact my state lottery and suggest it. 

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: September 21, 2012, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

RJ

This would be a dream come true,  I will contact my state lottery and suggest it. 

RL

My 41 lines for tonight. Hope I have all 5 numbers AND beat the 1 in 2000 odds............

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19901 Posts
                          Posted: September 21, 2012, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

Good luck to you, those are some big odds to beat.  I'll be picking 10 lines for PB after revising my strategy.

Evil Looking       

United States
                            Member #111442
                            May 25, 2011
                            6323 Posts
                            Posted: September 21, 2012, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

My 41 lines for tonight. Hope I have all 5 numbers AND beat the 1 in 2000 odds............

Good luck tonight Ronnie. See you changed the MB to 3, sounds like a winner to me!   Yes Nod

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: September 21, 2012, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

Good luck tonight Ronnie. See you changed the MB to 3, sounds like a winner to me!   Yes Nod

Thank you kind sir, Im riding the 3 like a rented mule til it pays me. I have not forgotten about the hot tip on the 10 horse and Im real excited about throwing a saddle on that bad boy..........

Page 97 of 353