Welcome Guest
You last visited April 28, 2017, 5:38 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 2 years ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 106 of 182
PrintE-mailLink
California
United States
Member #147209
September 25, 2013
90 Posts
Posted: April 24, 2014, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

California is slowly going stale with scratchers.  They have a ton of the crosswords, a bunch of the junky games and they are making it harder to do 2nd Chance.  All of the new games have the longer codes which is probably a game to make more people just throw them away. 

They are keeping the stale old Lucky For Life $10 that has one prize left and some retailers can't even stock the new one which they have in packs until the old one gets used up.  I saw that twice today.  I bought some of the new $10 one yesterday and got the first ticket off each roll which was interesting since it was once late afternoon and another later at night.  They had been in there all day with no activity the two retailers said.

LA CA
    United States
    Member #118691
    November 6, 2011
    416 Posts
    Posted: April 24, 2014, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

I'm curious about the LFL games, can you win the top prize with a number match or is it only via a LIFE symbol?

LIFE symbol..

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #149492
      December 2, 2013
      919 Posts
      Posted: April 24, 2014, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

California is slowly going stale with scratchers.  They have a ton of the crosswords, a bunch of the junky games and they are making it harder to do 2nd Chance.  All of the new games have the longer codes which is probably a game to make more people just throw them away. 

They are keeping the stale old Lucky For Life $10 that has one prize left and some retailers can't even stock the new one which they have in packs until the old one gets used up.  I saw that twice today.  I bought some of the new $10 one yesterday and got the first ticket off each roll which was interesting since it was once late afternoon and another later at night.  They had been in there all day with no activity the two retailers said.

I agree.  I tend to check out games from other states, and some are really interesting, even at lower denominations.  I saw a $5 game with three distinct types of play.  I thought it was interesting.  There are even some games with scratch areas on both sides of the card.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #103813
        January 5, 2011
        1530 Posts
        Posted: April 24, 2014, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

Went looking for some Lucky Life today, only saw one store with only one of them out, the $10 I think? (why did they switch the colors around...) They were having terminal/network problems today too, clerk said running slow all morning. Took almost full minute to redeem my tickets. Back at home, saw a warning on the 2nd chance page too, saying there were problems with the $10 LL second chance entries or something.

Anyway, looks like since they just came out, some stores haven't had time sell off rolls and make room. Will check again in a day or so. Want to try all at once the first time.

Got a couple of Bonus Xword instead. 1 each from 2 rolls. Both were Bonus word $20 winners. Strange.

Pasadena, CA
          United States
          Member #153326
          March 13, 2014
          186 Posts
          Posted: April 24, 2014, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

I've always thought the $3 Diamonds (find 3 or more) or $5 Hot Streak were refreshing, but still I agree with the lack of creativity as of late besides hte $500 Frenzy

In the way, way back, probably 2000 or so, there was a $3 ticket called "Path to Money" where you started in the center and followed the corresponding arrows either leading to a prize amount or "Exit" (loser). Solitaire was also available, as well as something called "Instant Hot Spot." For a time, there was also "Instant Daily 3" and "Instant Daily 4," but it's just getting boring now. Crossword this, Bingo that, occasional matching number.

green sandals's avatar - bxvg
            Costa Mesa
            United States
            Member #150634
            December 27, 2013
            157 Posts
            Posted: April 24, 2014, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

4 DM 187290-012 to 014. 15 & tkt.

1 new 5 LFL because clerk wouldn't give cash for a tkt winner.  Now I got another tkt winner.  Will go to another store.

California
              United States
              Member #147209
              September 25, 2013
              90 Posts
              Posted: April 24, 2014, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

Well lost my new $10 LFL virginity today and won $50.  Ticket #011.

Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103813
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: April 25, 2014, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

Looks like stores are fully stocked and have the bins/machines populated with all Lucky Life games now, so I tried my first bunch. Didn't go too well. Good overall hit rate but lousy overall return.

From this little mini-set assortment:

$10 LL - 0, 0

$5 LL - 0, 0, $6, 0

$2 LL - 0, $3, tkt, 0, $5

$1 LL - $2, 0, $2, tkt, 0

That's why I don't normally play low denomination Scratchers. Even when lady luck gives you your hits, it feels like its wasted on small value tickets. Like here where I broke even on $1 and $2 games, but got my clock cleaned on the $5 and $10. Bang Head

Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103813
                  January 5, 2011
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: April 26, 2014, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

Went to my home store and they still didn't have all the Lucky Life games out, neither the counter nor the machines. They still had lots of Lucky for Life games though. Guess he's trying to sell out those partial packs of LFL first.

Anyway, I just got 2 of the $10 LL anyway, since that's all they had out, and I was 0/2 on that denom. Got $15 and $20 winners on those two, so kinda made up for the previous losses somewhat, back to around 75% return so far. Could be worse. I guess I will play a bit more LL till I get skunked again.

green sandals's avatar - bxvg
                    Costa Mesa
                    United States
                    Member #150634
                    December 27, 2013
                    157 Posts
                    Posted: April 26, 2014, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

Looking back @ my 100 winners in $10 games from Feb to the present, I've noticed none of them are 40 or greater.  Actually the highest one was 031 (1000 W in 1MF).  In 5MJP, big W's were from 005-018.  Admittedly an extremely small data set, but has anyone else noticed a greater tendency for big W's to come from say, 000-031 in 10 games and 000-020 in 5MJP?

United States
                      Member #152660
                      February 21, 2014
                      19 Posts
                      Posted: April 26, 2014, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

Bought two new $10 LFL on my lunch break and got tickets 39 and 40 . First one was a 20 dollar win and next was a dud. Good luck to all!

Pasadena, CA
                        United States
                        Member #153326
                        March 13, 2014
                        186 Posts
                        Posted: April 27, 2014, 1:29 am - IP Logged

Looking back @ my 100 winners in $10 games from Feb to the present, I've noticed none of them are 40 or greater.  Actually the highest one was 031 (1000 W in 1MF).  In 5MJP, big W's were from 005-018.  Admittedly an extremely small data set, but has anyone else noticed a greater tendency for big W's to come from say, 000-031 in 10 games and 000-020 in 5MJP?

Very interesting point, green sandals. Next time I'm in a liquor store and see the ticket numbers, I'll consider buying the 5MJP. Test that theory out. Otherwise, those are crap tickets. I've blown close to $1,000 on that game and have never won more than $50 on a ticket. I still can't get over the free $20 ticket and $20 cash prize. But I'll still occasionally splurge on a 20MJP ticket every now and then.

Will also test on the $10 games. Bought tickets 036 to 038 for the new $10 Bonus Crossword today and won zilch.

Los Angeles, California
                          United States
                          Member #149492
                          December 2, 2013
                          919 Posts
                          Posted: April 27, 2014, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Here's an observation.  For the past few days, I've seen a surge in Tripling Crossword (pink) play at two of my stores which are unrelated but in the same neighborhood.  Do people somehow know when top prizes are sent out of the warehouse?  It's my understanding that the CA Lottery does not know exactly where the winning top prizes are, but they know which "batch" they are located in.  So, I was wondering if this information gets leaked somehow and spreads through the avid lottery playing community.  I've always wondered about that when older games get a spike in play all of a sudden.

LA CA
                            United States
                            Member #118691
                            November 6, 2011
                            416 Posts
                            Posted: April 27, 2014, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

Here's an observation.  For the past few days, I've seen a surge in Tripling Crossword (pink) play at two of my stores which are unrelated but in the same neighborhood.  Do people somehow know when top prizes are sent out of the warehouse?  It's my understanding that the CA Lottery does not know exactly where the winning top prizes are, but they know which "batch" they are located in.  So, I was wondering if this information gets leaked somehow and spreads through the avid lottery playing community.  I've always wondered about that when older games get a spike in play all of a sudden.

I seriously doubt they even know which batch they are located in.. Do you have any reliable source?

Los Angeles, California
                              United States
                              Member #149492
                              December 2, 2013
                              919 Posts
                              Posted: April 27, 2014, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

I seriously doubt they even know which batch they are located in.. Do you have any reliable source?

I meant to write, "they may know..."  I don't know if they do or not, but they do a pretty good job of distributing top prizes relative to sales.  Sometimes you see slight unbalances, but for the most part it's right online with sales. 

By batches, I mean at a very high level in the millions, mainly to protect themselves from getting their clocked cleaned by releasing too many top prizes at the outset of a game resulting in large payoffs with poor sales.  For example, they might know a top prize is floating around somewhere in LA County, another in NorCal, and x number of top prizes are still sitting in their distribution warehouses.

Page 106 of 182