Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 102 of 182
PrintE-mailLink
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: April 14, 2014, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Hit some luck these last couple of days...   Spent $100.00 on random tickets: Hit $500 on $5 Freenzy (Tic #000), spent $100 of that and Hit $100 on $5mil jackpot and $50 on $5 bingo6, Spent $100 of that and hit $200 on $5 Cash-up.  Going to drop anouther $100 tomorrow to see if the luck continues.

Nice wins there! And congrats on hitting the "top prize" on the $5 Frenzy! Cheers

Just curious: do you plan to continue to play $5 Frenzy or are you satisfied now that you got the top prize?

Los Angeles
    United States
    Member #152438
    February 15, 2014
    19 Posts
    Posted: April 15, 2014, 1:37 am - IP Logged

Hit some luck these last couple of days...   Spent $100.00 on random tickets: Hit $500 on $5 Freenzy (Tic #000), spent $100 of that and Hit $100 on $5mil jackpot and $50 on $5 bingo6, Spent $100 of that and hit $200 on $5 Cash-up.  Going to drop anouther $100 tomorrow to see if the luck continues.

Nice wins! I've won multiple 10-15-20's on frenzy and hit $100 (#065) couple days ago

Smile

Bay Area, California
      United States
      Member #154225
      April 8, 2014
      49 Posts
      Posted: April 15, 2014, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

Nice wins! I've won multiple 10-15-20's on frenzy and hit $100 (#065) couple days ago

Smile

Welcome to the thread Slurpee. Congratulations on your win.

Has anyone on this forum experienced problems cashing lottery tickets? Some places refused to cash my $50 scratcher win because they didn't have the cash on hand. Other times I have to wait for a long time for the manager to come out and cash my tickets. In my opinion if you want to sell lottery tickets you should be prepared to cash tickets on demand.

This got me to thinking it would be better for retailers to be paid 7% commission on cashing tickets vs. current system which they earn 6% on sales and 1% cashing commission. That way they have an incentive to cash tickets promptly and treat lottery customers like 1st class citizens.

Pasadena, CA
        United States
        Member #153326
        March 13, 2014
        186 Posts
        Posted: April 15, 2014, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

Has anyone on this forum experienced problems cashing lottery tickets? Some places refused to cash my $50 scratcher win because they didn't have the cash on hand. Other times I have to wait for a long time for the manager to come out and cash my tickets. In my opinion if you want to sell lottery tickets you should be prepared to cash tickets on demand.

This got me to thinking it would be better for retailers to be paid 7% commission on cashing tickets vs. current system which they earn 6% on sales and 1% cashing commission. That way they have an incentive to cash tickets promptly and treat lottery customers like 1st class citizens.

Won $220 on a Daily 4 play in 2010 and had to go to three separate stores before I could cash it. Same with a $200 crossword last year. Pennsylvania has retailers that pay up to $1,000 instantly, the fact that many in California can't take $50 or $100 or $200 is unacceptable.

United States
          Member #147165
          September 24, 2013
          507 Posts
          Posted: April 15, 2014, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

The only legitimate reason that 7-Elevens and some gas stations will not do it is because they are only allowed to have certain amount of cash on the register and must put in money in a deposit safe for locations deemed to have crime (pretty much almost everywhere).

As a player, it is fustrating to not be able to claim prizes the CALottery terminals do offer a warning to the clerk when a ticket wins $25 or more. Only way I was able to cash it out was to buy more scratchers with half of the winnings on the spot. Either way I avoid cashing from certain places now when the time comes, but the big scratcher winners have come from 7-Elevens these days.

I know that most mom & pop liquor stores will gladly do it for the 1% cashing comission.

I think the 6% comission is where the retailer buys the roll of scratchers for 6% off, $5 roll $376 instead of $400. $10 roll $470 instead of $500.

United States
            Member #147165
            September 24, 2013
            507 Posts
            Posted: April 15, 2014, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

Won $220 on a Daily 4 play in 2010 and had to go to three separate stores before I could cash it. Same with a $200 crossword last year. Pennsylvania has retailers that pay up to $1,000 instantly, the fact that many in California can't take $50 or $100 or $200 is unacceptable.

I agree for an economically prosperous state (for the most part compared to other states) like California, its unacceptable.

Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #103813
              January 5, 2011
              1530 Posts
              Posted: April 15, 2014, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

I've had problems cashing $500 a couple times, but $50 dollars? Sheesh, what kind of store doesn't have $50 on hand? I don't buy it. They might've been bs'ing. Did you buy the ticket there?

I think that deserves a complaint. Contact the lottery and tell them the store refused to cash your ticket. Don't know if that does anything or helps at all, but might as well. I've done it before.

I usually cash larger ($100-500) tickets at my "home" store where they know me and always have cash, even if he has to go to the safe in the back. Or sometimes you can go to a "customer oriented" store like Ralphs, but they are often busy running around doing other things, lottery is not their focus and more of an annoyance. But at least they'll do it, unlike many hole in the wall stores.

Bay Area, California
                United States
                Member #154225
                April 8, 2014
                49 Posts
                Posted: April 15, 2014, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

I've had problems cashing $500 a couple times, but $50 dollars? Sheesh, what kind of store doesn't have $50 on hand? I don't buy it. They might've been bs'ing. Did you buy the ticket there?

I think that deserves a complaint. Contact the lottery and tell them the store refused to cash your ticket. Don't know if that does anything or helps at all, but might as well. I've done it before.

I usually cash larger ($100-500) tickets at my "home" store where they know me and always have cash, even if he has to go to the safe in the back. Or sometimes you can go to a "customer oriented" store like Ralphs, but they are often busy running around doing other things, lottery is not their focus and more of an annoyance. But at least they'll do it, unlike many hole in the wall stores.

I thought about complaining, but to be fair I did not buy the ticket from the places where I was refused, and gas stations and such might have legitimate reasons not to keep cash on hand. Maybe the CA lottery should distinguish between sales only retailers and those which offer full service to lottery customers.

Nob Hill cashed all my tickets without any complaints so I guess I'll just go there from now on. It is good to support those retailers who value lottery customers.

Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103813
                  January 5, 2011
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: April 15, 2014, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

I thought about complaining, but to be fair I did not buy the ticket from the places where I was refused, and gas stations and such might have legitimate reasons not to keep cash on hand. Maybe the CA lottery should distinguish between sales only retailers and those which offer full service to lottery customers.

Nob Hill cashed all my tickets without any complaints so I guess I'll just go there from now on. It is good to support those retailers who value lottery customers.

but to be fair I did not buy the ticket from the places where I was refused

Well, that's just it. There is no requirement that you have to cash the ticket at the place you bought it. Any retailer is supposed to cash $599 and under tickets. I quote from calottery.com:

Just take your winning ticket to a Lottery retailer and the clerk will hand you cash on the spot. It's that easy.

No stipulations, so disclaimers about certain stores only cashing up to a certain amount. Is this false advertising? Maybe. Is this stores not living up to their lottery agreement? Probably. I've been asked that before too, if I bought it there, when trying to cash and got denied. Oh boy you bet I compained that time. It's like, "You don't buy stuff from my store, why should I bother wasting my time cashing your ticket for measly 1% profit!"

Complaining is just to holding them accountable. Contributing to correcting the system. May seem like nothing, but so is just 1 vote. Wink

But of course its your choice. As you found out, its probably just as easy to vote with your wallet and take your business elsewhere. Thumbs Up

United States
                    Member #147165
                    September 24, 2013
                    507 Posts
                    Posted: April 16, 2014, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

Attempted to buy ten more Bonus Crosswords but the store ran out. Settled for the $20 tickets instead

#17 - 21: 0,0,$20,$50 (FAST SPOT 50), $20 ($10 x 2)

Almost got my money back.

Probably going to put $20 down on SuperLottoPlus tonight.

San Fran
                      United States
                      Member #150212
                      December 17, 2013
                      97 Posts
                      Posted: April 16, 2014, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

Nice wins there! And congrats on hitting the "top prize" on the $5 Frenzy! Cheers

Just curious: do you plan to continue to play $5 Frenzy or are you satisfied now that you got the top prize?

I will certainly buy some more for a couple more weeks or until anouther $5 game is released.  Ussualy once 50% of the TP's are claimed i wont buy them. 

I bought anouther $100.00 of random tickets and got nothing other than a few free tickets. So the luck streak is over.  Ended up spending $100 of my own cash and pocketed $500.00... not bad!   Plan on holding off on buying any tickets until the new LFL series comes out.  Plan on buying a couple of books (1 $10.00 and 1 $5.00)  I have a feeling those are gong to be hot items when they are released and hopfully with better odds.

United States
                        Member #147165
                        September 24, 2013
                        507 Posts
                        Posted: April 16, 2014, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

I will certainly buy some more for a couple more weeks or until anouther $5 game is released.  Ussualy once 50% of the TP's are claimed i wont buy them. 

I bought anouther $100.00 of random tickets and got nothing other than a few free tickets. So the luck streak is over.  Ended up spending $100 of my own cash and pocketed $500.00... not bad!   Plan on holding off on buying any tickets until the new LFL series comes out.  Plan on buying a couple of books (1 $10.00 and 1 $5.00)  I have a feeling those are gong to be hot items when they are released and hopfully with better odds.

They will be coming out on the 23rd this month so next week.

On the $5 and $10 tickets, it says there are more prizes ranging from $50 to $500. The odds are not out yet, so I am not sure if it represents more even if slightly of those prizes than the first ones.

green sandals's avatar - bxvg
                          Costa Mesa
                          United States
                          Member #150634
                          December 27, 2013
                          157 Posts
                          Posted: April 17, 2014, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

They will be coming out on the 23rd this month so next week.

On the $5 and $10 tickets, it says there are more prizes ranging from $50 to $500. The odds are not out yet, so I am not sure if it represents more even if slightly of those prizes than the first ones.

Diamond Millionaire getting hard to find now.  Current 2 & 10 LFL's look played out, IMO.  Happy to see new games coming out.

LA CA
                            United States
                            Member #118691
                            November 6, 2011
                            416 Posts
                            Posted: April 17, 2014, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

Diamond Millionaire getting hard to find now.  Current 2 & 10 LFL's look played out, IMO.  Happy to see new games coming out.

Picked a Diamond from a gas station in Sun Valley and won $15...with that I bought my first 3 $500 frenzy from a Valencia store..haven't scratched yet...I will continue pursuing the Diamond millionaire..lots of top prizes left.

LA CA
                              United States
                              Member #118691
                              November 6, 2011
                              416 Posts
                              Posted: April 17, 2014, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Picked a Diamond from a gas station in Sun Valley and won $15...with that I bought my first 3 $500 frenzy from a Valencia store..haven't scratched yet...I will continue pursuing the Diamond millionaire..lots of top prizes left.

Won a ticket and 5x($2) for $10 on the second one...

Page 102 of 182