Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 96 of 182
PrintE-mailLink
mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #149492
December 2, 2013
919 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2014, 1:11 am - IP Logged

The most recent $2 LFL top prize was won at a 7-Eleven I occasionally visit.  Happy to hear a nice top prize made its appearance nearby...

Pasadena, CA
    United States
    Member #153326
    March 13, 2014
    186 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2014, 1:12 am - IP Logged

These new tickets stink! Bought eight of the $500 Frenzy and six $10 crosswords at the gas station down the road. One $10 winner from the Frenzy and a $20 and free ticket winner on the crossword. $40 returned from $100 spent. It could be worse. Had to get my fill of these new tickets and once that rush subsided, I think it's safe to say I won't be playing these again.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #149492
      December 2, 2013
      919 Posts
      Posted: March 28, 2014, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

There was some talk on Hot Spot recently, so I thought I'd post this heads-up.  As I was checking my numbers from yesterday, I noticed they are running a spring promotion starting today.  The prize boost is mainly for middle, bulls-eye prizes.  I don't know how well this promotion was publicized, but it's there until the 6th.

Pasadena, CA
        United States
        Member #153326
        March 13, 2014
        186 Posts
        Posted: March 28, 2014, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

There was some talk on Hot Spot recently, so I thought I'd post this heads-up.  As I was checking my numbers from yesterday, I noticed they are running a spring promotion starting today.  The prize boost is mainly for middle, bulls-eye prizes.  I don't know how well this promotion was publicized, but it's there until the 6th.

I won my largest Hot Spot prize ever during this "promotion" in 2010 and lo and behold, the bonus prize amounts--at least for the numbers offered at the time--are exactly the same now as they were then.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: March 28, 2014, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

I won my largest Hot Spot prize ever during this "promotion" in 2010 and lo and behold, the bonus prize amounts--at least for the numbers offered at the time--are exactly the same now as they were then.

This is a weird Hot Spot promo, only lasting about a week. Past promos typically run a month or more, in the winter and summer, and were prominently featured. This one came early, a few months after the last one, and the payout bump isn't as good.

I won a 10-spot 7/10+B on a past promo where the prize was bumped from $140 to $190, this time only bumped to $165. Recent promos were even higher, rivalling the payout of Scratchers. I'm not even going bother doing the whole table since the promo is so short and the prizes all look lower.

They have to burn off excess Hot Spot reserve cash with these promos, but maybe now they are going to do more of them but each with smaller payout bumps? Possibly to counter people that like wait for the promo to play, similar to people who wait for the sale to buy stuff at a store. Blue Thinking

Pasadena, CA
            United States
            Member #153326
            March 13, 2014
            186 Posts
            Posted: March 28, 2014, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

This is a weird Hot Spot promo, only lasting about a week. Past promos typically run a month or more, in the winter and summer, and were prominently featured. This one came early, a few months after the last one, and the payout bump isn't as good.

I won a 10-spot 7/10+B on a past promo where the prize was bumped from $140 to $190, this time only bumped to $165. Recent promos were even higher, rivalling the payout of Scratchers. I'm not even going bother doing the whole table since the promo is so short and the prizes all look lower.

They have to burn off excess Hot Spot reserve cash with these promos, but maybe now they are going to do more of them but each with smaller payout bumps? Possibly to counter people that like wait for the promo to play, similar to people who wait for the sale to buy stuff at a store. Blue Thinking

You bring up an interesting point about "excess reserve cash." Just how popular--or unpopular--is the Hot Spot game? This excess cash could mean that hardly anybody is playing the game, let alone actually winning it. That or the odds are next to impossible to win, especially on the 7 through 10-spot. If I go to a bar that offers the game or a liquor store, I never see anybody playing it. One notable exception are those Chinese gambling parlors in San Francisco; they seem to do quite well with Hot Spot and especially scratchers.

Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #103813
              January 5, 2011
              1530 Posts
              Posted: March 28, 2014, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

These new tickets stink! Bought eight of the $500 Frenzy and six $10 crosswords at the gas station down the road. One $10 winner from the Frenzy and a $20 and free ticket winner on the crossword. $40 returned from $100 spent. It could be worse. Had to get my fill of these new tickets and once that rush subsided, I think it's safe to say I won't be playing these again.

Finally saw some in my area. Just tried out a few, stuck a $20 in the machine and got 2 $500 Frenzy and 1 Bonus Xword. Got a ticket on the Xword, and won $10 on one of the $500 Frenzy...gee, real surprize, they loaded the game with $10 prizes. At least broke even.

Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103813
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: March 28, 2014, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

You bring up an interesting point about "excess reserve cash." Just how popular--or unpopular--is the Hot Spot game? This excess cash could mean that hardly anybody is playing the game, let alone actually winning it. That or the odds are next to impossible to win, especially on the 7 through 10-spot. If I go to a bar that offers the game or a liquor store, I never see anybody playing it. One notable exception are those Chinese gambling parlors in San Francisco; they seem to do quite well with Hot Spot and especially scratchers.

Lots of people play and win at Hot Spot, I was surprized at how many looking at the winners. But yeah, seems to be heavy asian player base.(I guess since that's where Keno came from...) Annual reports put Hot Spot sales around similar to Daily 3 and Fantasy 5, around $150M last year, or about 3.5% of revenue.

Pasadena, CA
                  United States
                  Member #153326
                  March 13, 2014
                  186 Posts
                  Posted: March 28, 2014, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

Lots of people play and win at Hot Spot, I was surprized at how many looking at the winners. But yeah, seems to be heavy asian player base.(I guess since that's where Keno came from...) Annual reports put Hot Spot sales around similar to Daily 3 and Fantasy 5, around $150M last year, or about 3.5% of revenue.

It's important to keep in mind that multiple winners need not necessarily be separate tickets. Apparently, each dollar wagered is the equivalent of one winning ticket if you're not playing Bulls Eye. As an example, if somebody were to wager $5 a play on the 4-spot and they hit 4/4 on one of the draws, the Lottery would display five winning tickets being sold for the 4/4 level for that particular draw on its website, should they be the only winner for that draw. If I wager $20 for a 1-spot and get that one lone number, 20 winners are displayed in the 1/1 category. That is, if no one else hits 1/1 for that particular draw.

In any event, it's still a fun game to play.

LA CA
                    United States
                    Member #118691
                    November 6, 2011
                    416 Posts
                    Posted: March 29, 2014, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Got a $10 Diamond and won $10 ( 2 matching nos $5 each)

United States
                      Member #149104
                      November 20, 2013
                      3 Posts
                      Posted: March 30, 2014, 2:53 am - IP Logged

Horrible return on the new $5 and $10 scratchers so far. Entire rolls must be filled with duds. That's how those a@@holes make the dough off people...

They probably wait 1-3 weeks before putting in some low-tier prizes.

United States
                        Member #152660
                        February 21, 2014
                        19 Posts
                        Posted: March 30, 2014, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

Horrible return on the new $5 and $10 scratchers so far. Entire rolls must be filled with duds. That's how those a@@holes make the dough off people...

They probably wait 1-3 weeks before putting in some low-tier prizes.

I second this. Bought 4 of the $5 500 frenzy all from separate rolls (#1, #4, #23, #65) all losers.

Also picked up two of the new $10 crossword, no luck.

Till then hope you guys all hit something nice !

Orange County,CA
                          United States
                          Member #153515
                          March 18, 2014
                          8 Posts
                          Posted: March 31, 2014, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

got 10 $20 not scratched yet, got 2 $5 meant to get frenzy but got 2 cash up in error, won $40, pocketed $30 grabbed 2 frenzy, 1 loser, 1 $10, got last 2 frenzy in the roll, 1 loser, other won $500 :)

United States
                            Member #124814
                            March 20, 2012
                            219 Posts
                            Posted: March 31, 2014, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Story of the 6th $5 Million TP winner

http://www.calottery.com/win/winner%20stories/eric-williams

Another SoCal winner. I suppose most winners will be in Norcal from this point.

Read this the other day but only now realized that - I was at that store a couple weeks ago and heard the cashier telling a customer about someone who bought a ticket at that store who had just won big. I didn't catch the game or the amount, but it was a scratcher and enough to buy a big house. I think this was the guy who won.

The customer the cashier told was asking her a bunch of questions about the guy, including wanting to know where he lived. In mind I was thinking, are you serious? He was dead serious too, he wanted to know. It was at a Chevron gas station.

At the Albertsons I frequent, someone just won 75k.

I've never bought a scratchers in my life, but knowing about these two wins so close to home is making me want to get in the game.

Orange County,CA
                              United States
                              Member #153515
                              March 18, 2014
                              8 Posts
                              Posted: March 31, 2014, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

Well not too bad, of 10 tickets #4-#13   7 losers, other 3   #4-$50 fast spot and $50,    #7 $100-fast spot, #10 5 $10wins so $50  final spent $200 won $250

Page 96 of 182