Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 60 of 182
PrintE-mailLink
San Diego, CA
United States
Member #58386
February 12, 2008
287 Posts
Posted: December 23, 2013, 10:11 am - IP Logged

Can the California Lottery control where jackpot winning tickets are released?

I am sure they can control when they are released.

What about where they are released?

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #149492
    December 2, 2013
    919 Posts
    Posted: December 23, 2013, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

Can the California Lottery control where jackpot winning tickets are released?

I am sure they can control when they are released.

What about where they are released?

I read an article where they interviewed a former lottery security official from a large state (didn't disclose which state).  They were discussing fraud and who knows where actual winning tickets are being sold and when.  He mentioned that there are many layers of checks and balances to ensure integrity of its scratchers, and in order to perpetuate fraud (e.g., sending your friends to buy entire rolls of tickets at specific retailers to win top prizes) you need at least 6 people from the gaming company and lottery office participating in the conspiracy to pull it off.

As for Scratchers (again don't know which state), he said the gaming company knows where jackpot tickets are within the print batch prior to sending it to the lottery office.  They also print the entire batch at one time unless the states request a reorder at a later time.  Once the tickets are shipped to the lottery office, they are usually sent to the state lottery's distribution warehouses.  At this point, the gaming company will not know how the lottery organizes the received tickets and how they are distributed to the retailers.  Also, this security official said the lottery office does not know where specific winning top prize tickets are because that information is not provided by the gaming company.  Sort of a double-blind situation.  I got the sense that this was industry-wide practice.

That being said, I think they know at some broad level where winning tickets are.  For example, if a game has a total ticket population of 20,000,000 with 20 top prizes, they might know that one top prize is somewhere within this batch of 1,000,000 tickets in order to stagger and distribute somewhat evenly top prize wins.  They can't afford to sell too many winning top prize tickets right off the bat and only in one geographical area.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: December 23, 2013, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

I read an article where they interviewed a former lottery security official from a large state (didn't disclose which state).  They were discussing fraud and who knows where actual winning tickets are being sold and when.  He mentioned that there are many layers of checks and balances to ensure integrity of its scratchers, and in order to perpetuate fraud (e.g., sending your friends to buy entire rolls of tickets at specific retailers to win top prizes) you need at least 6 people from the gaming company and lottery office participating in the conspiracy to pull it off.

As for Scratchers (again don't know which state), he said the gaming company knows where jackpot tickets are within the print batch prior to sending it to the lottery office.  They also print the entire batch at one time unless the states request a reorder at a later time.  Once the tickets are shipped to the lottery office, they are usually sent to the state lottery's distribution warehouses.  At this point, the gaming company will not know how the lottery organizes the received tickets and how they are distributed to the retailers.  Also, this security official said the lottery office does not know where specific winning top prize tickets are because that information is not provided by the gaming company.  Sort of a double-blind situation.  I got the sense that this was industry-wide practice.

That being said, I think they know at some broad level where winning tickets are.  For example, if a game has a total ticket population of 20,000,000 with 20 top prizes, they might know that one top prize is somewhere within this batch of 1,000,000 tickets in order to stagger and distribute somewhat evenly top prize wins.  They can't afford to sell too many winning top prize tickets right off the bat and only in one geographical area.

That's good info and reply. Maybe you can move it to the other duplicate thread that JWBlue started. I actually replied here too, but then saw he made a duplicate thread in the main Scratch forum, so I deleted here and replied there. Or I can reply there and reference this.

Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #149492
        December 2, 2013
        919 Posts
        Posted: December 23, 2013, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

That's good info and reply. Maybe you can move it to the other duplicate thread that JWBlue started. I actually replied here too, but then saw he made a duplicate thread in the main Scratch forum, so I deleted here and replied there. Or I can reply there and reference this.

Thanks. Yeah, I saw the other thread later on too, after the fact.  At this point, I can't delete my post here, so you may want to reference it.

I forgot to mention that independent auditors are also involved, so there's another layer. 

I believe the article was in response to the scandal involving a corrupt lottery security official that knew where winning tickets were being sold, and sent his cronies to buy up rolls/packs of tickets to win the top prize.

San Diego, CA
          United States
          Member #58386
          February 12, 2008
          287 Posts
          Posted: December 23, 2013, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

I don't really think if it as a duplicate post.

Lottery Post Board members not in California will probably not enter this thread.

California
            United States
            Member #147209
            September 25, 2013
            90 Posts
            Posted: December 24, 2013, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

The place where I buy a lot of my tickets and have won in the past sold the first $200,000 winner on the 20X The Money $5 game.  I was there yesterday and the owner showed me the photo on his phone.  It's not posted here yet but the winner won it at their other store which is a Dairy in Costa Mesa.  The winner matched the #9.  Biggest win ever for them.  The other big winners were $5,000 and me at $1,000.

Jani Norman's avatar - fiftyways
              OHIO
              United States
              Member #4164
              March 27, 2004
              14586 Posts
              Posted: December 26, 2013, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

California Lottery@calottery8m

#CALottery players love tweeting pictures of their winning #Scratchers tickets. Check out the latest winners: pic.twitter.com/8hDu54xL2v

Embedded image permalink

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

California
                United States
                Member #147209
                September 25, 2013
                90 Posts
                Posted: December 26, 2013, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

Tweeting a picture of a $4 win is a little odd.  I guess I don't feel like I have won anything of note unless it's $50+.   

I won a moneybags $100 winner on a $10 Lucky For Life #42 today.

Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103813
                  January 5, 2011
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: December 26, 2013, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

The place where I buy a lot of my tickets and have won in the past sold the first $200,000 winner on the 20X The Money $5 game.  I was there yesterday and the owner showed me the photo on his phone.  It's not posted here yet but the winner won it at their other store which is a Dairy in Costa Mesa.  The winner matched the #9.  Biggest win ever for them.  The other big winners were $5,000 and me at $1,000.

That's cool. Did you happen to catch the ticket # of the winner? Or the pack number? Wink

I guess it'll take a couple days after he claims before it shows up on the website claim counter.

Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #103813
                    January 5, 2011
                    1530 Posts
                    Posted: December 26, 2013, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

Tweeting a picture of a $4 win is a little odd.  I guess I don't feel like I have won anything of note unless it's $50+.   

I won a moneybags $100 winner on a $10 Lucky For Life #42 today.

LOL Yeah...that's funny.

Kinda like someone tweeting a picture of their Egg McMuffin they had for breakfast. Uuhhhh....OK....someone just discovered Twitter.... Thud

United States
                      Member #147165
                      September 24, 2013
                      507 Posts
                      Posted: December 26, 2013, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

That was quick, considering the game was only out for around a week and a top prize is claimed.

The store owner must be thrilled to get $1000 (half percent bonus) out of it.

I wish the CA Lotto website still posted the winning outcome combinations like they have in the past, I always remember the top prize is always a single number match.

Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: December 27, 2013, 10:12 am - IP Logged

That was quick, considering the game was only out for around a week and a top prize is claimed.

The store owner must be thrilled to get $1000 (half percent bonus) out of it.

I wish the CA Lotto website still posted the winning outcome combinations like they have in the past, I always remember the top prize is always a single number match.

That's the thing about new games. When they first come out, flood the market, and with typical high sales for new games, it's likely there are a couple top prizes in circulation at retailers. You never know when one can be found, it could be real quick. Later on many months later, sales are slower and there may only be 1 top prize in retailers at a given time.(the rest at the warehouse)

But actually, right now is about the right time for 1 to be claimed, sales wise. The game itself is about 94% sold, and the 1 top prize found makes the top prizes 94% claimed.

The retailer wouldn't get a bonus in this case, Scratcher prize value has to be $1Million or more:

http://www.calottery.com/retailer/partnership-support/fun-games

http://static.sc-www.calottery.com/~/media/Retailer/policies-regulations/Retailer%20Incentives%20October%202013.pdf

green sandals's avatar - bxvg
                          Costa Mesa
                          United States
                          Member #150634
                          December 27, 2013
                          157 Posts
                          Posted: December 27, 2013, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

I saw that too.  I've driven by that dairy outlet in CM a few times and dropped in yesterday to buy some $10 scratchers.  The clerk showed me a photo of the winning ticket on her cell.  Exciting to see what a grandprize winning scratcher ticket looks like.

Lightning didn't strike twice in my case that day.  Lost a third of what I put out, which is about average for me. 

Anybody know how long 1,000,000 Fortune will continue playing??  Some of the stores I frequent aren't stocking it anymore, but in the CAlottery website the % of grandprize winners left is double the% left of the ticket and $10 winners.

Los Angeles, California
                            United States
                            Member #103813
                            January 5, 2011
                            1530 Posts
                            Posted: December 27, 2013, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

I saw that too.  I've driven by that dairy outlet in CM a few times and dropped in yesterday to buy some $10 scratchers.  The clerk showed me a photo of the winning ticket on her cell.  Exciting to see what a grandprize winning scratcher ticket looks like.

Lightning didn't strike twice in my case that day.  Lost a third of what I put out, which is about average for me. 

Anybody know how long 1,000,000 Fortune will continue playing??  Some of the stores I frequent aren't stocking it anymore, but in the CAlottery website the % of grandprize winners left is double the% left of the ticket and $10 winners.

They should be announcing $1M Fortune end of sale date real soon, anytime now. It's been pretty successful, and has been around longer than normal, more than a year.

It is in the end of game period, where stores cannot order any more and are left with stock on hand. I personally wouldn't go chasing after an ending game, but won't stop anyone who wants to try.

By the numbers, there are at least 3 extra $1M top prizes outstanding based on the sales level of the game, which is about 94% sold thru. But are they really out there in stores? Or are they lost/stolen/destroyed, or just sitting in the warehouse and will never be issued.<picture lottery guys laughing>

Los Angeles, California
                              United States
                              Member #149492
                              December 2, 2013
                              919 Posts
                              Posted: December 28, 2013, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

For those that play $5 scratchers, do you know why the Mega Crossword is so popular?  The odds are the worst of any current $5 scratcher, yet my favorite liquor stores sell those like crazy and is listed on the lottery's website as a hot seller.  Am I missing something?

Page 60 of 182