Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Some new results on some old techniques.

Topic closed. 792 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Greenfox.

Page 17 of 53
PrintE-mailLink
Greenfox's avatar - IMAG01562
Burnsville
United States
Member #107244
March 4, 2011
853 Posts
Posted: January 3, 2013, 2:45 am - IP Logged

Ok, here is the first of what it does now with that formula added from KnuckleHead. This is the Dec. 1,2012 day draw.  1-3-2. This is some testing and what i see with the new results.

Ive shaded the numbers under - + as gold. In the workout as dark green. Look under the X at 12 and 20 and the numbers that hit. 1-3-2. Then under - + the first four cells.

Now under X for 8 and 9. There is 41 over 21. Look at those numbers and to the right of them and compare to what hit. 1-3-2

I still have to go over the workout to check that part. But here is this one with the new subtract and add formulas updated.

You can't steal second and keep your foot on FIRST!!!

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths.
When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength”.

-Arnold (Ahnald) Schwarzenegger-

Burnsville
    United States
    Member #107244
    March 4, 2011
    853 Posts
    Posted: January 3, 2013, 4:06 am - IP Logged

This is the second day draw of Dec. 8-8-9. This one is a little trickier to see but there none the less.

The 13 over 31 here gives a total of 8. Which is one of the numbers, twice. This one is tricky cause of the 0 involved here. I can see it now, but looking forward with it takes some getting used to. But, I've been looking at a lot of these. The 0 serves as 0 and 5 on these. With the 0 it doubles a number and vice versa, and the 5 here, adds to the 4 totals. So it could have been 889 or 998. Either one. But if you look in the roots here you'll see double 8's in the root of 3, under 12 and 13 and in the root of 2 under 18 and 19. (The counters for that) And ironically enough with both having a 6 in front of them. Flip the 6 and you have 889 twice there.

Under + there is a 4 over a 4 from 0 and 1. Beside that 4 from 1 there is an 8. Under that 4 is a 10 which is either 9 or 1. With a 6 to the left. 6/9. An 8 under the 6. with a 2 to the right of the 8. Under that 2 is another 6. 6+2=8. There is 8 and 9 all over this part if you look right. But what we're looking for is the sum of 13 over 31 which is 4+4=8. If you flip the 6 between the two, you have your 9. With the 9 to the right of the 6 from the 10.

For the results of 5 and 6, it is 14 for both. That's 3 and 5 which has a sum of 8. Next for the 7's totals, there is 7 and 11. 7+11=18=9, or, 1+1=2+7=9.

There is 889 right on top of each other. 7 and 3 from the 8 gives 10 which is 9 or 1. And 8 and 10 which is either 8 +10=18=9, or 8+1=9. However you want to do it. There is 8 and 9 all over this part.

This is what I'm trying to figure out. This is just happening too may times with this.

Then you have the 13 over 31 showing doubles coming??? I don't know, but that's what it seems. To me anyway. Could be nothing though. Who knows.

As for the workout, i really gotta go over this part more to see how it's acting with the changes.

So there is the 1st and 2nd of December Day draws for NC.

KnuckleHead's avatar - box

United States
      Member #73037
      April 3, 2009
      147 Posts
      Posted: January 3, 2013, 10:30 am - IP Logged

KnuckleHead, all i can say is I love you man!!!! LOL. In a totaly hetero way. Wow!!! You and the rest gotta see what that just did to this. I'm going to finish up the book I'm testing on and see how the rest goes. I did 7 days straight and all i can say is wow. If i was there I'd hug you, clean your house and take you out to the best dinner money can buy. For a week!!! LOL. I'm still chilled.

All i can say is your amazing!!!!! AND A HUGE THANK YOU!!!!!!

Morning GF,

Per our discussions last year regarding these formulas and their results: I'm very happy to see that your frame of mind has changed to allow you to comprehend the results I was attempting to relay to you. I understand due to what was going on last year... You still have my condolences... I wish there was something I could do for that...

Back to business. When you have a "0" pop up in the results, that zero must become a "10" to properly subtract a number from it, otherwise the results don't work correctly. (This was the problem I kept trying to get you to understand.)

Also, when the left number is greater than the right number, the right number must be converted to be greater than the left number for the subtraction to work correctly also.

Because I understand Lotus 123 better than I do Excel, I had to create the formulas in Lotus 123, than convert them to Excel formulas. It took me about a hour and a half to do it all. Glad you like the results. Hope they work and provide the results that I had expected.

The only DUMB question is the one question you DID NOT ask...

llucas07's avatar - batman14
        Gastonia, NC
        United States
        Member #117368
        October 4, 2011
        1677 Posts
        Posted: January 3, 2013, 11:38 am - IP Logged

Hey GF,

Check your e-mail, I sent you a file with the formulas and the breakdown as to how they work.

Real quick for everyone else: this is setup to place the number into cell C3.

Addition formula:

=IF(C3<=9,C3,VALUE(LEFT(TEXT(C3,0),1))+VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1)))

Subtraction formula:

=IF(C3<=9,C3,IF(VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1))=0,10-VALUE(LEFT(TEXT(C3,0),1)),IF(VALUE(LEFT(TEXT(C3,0),1))>VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1)),(10+VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1)))-VALUE(LEFT(TEXT(C3,0),1)),VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1))-VALUE(LEFT(TEXT(C3,0),1)))))

Both formulas can handle any number up to "99". If a number greater than "99" is required, another nested "IF" needs to be created.

Hope this is what you needed, KH

Hi KH, Just to make sure I understand. I just need to copy both of these formula's into cell c3 or does it go somewhere else...another cell?

I See Brighter Things AheadSun Smiley

United States
          Member #73037
          April 3, 2009
          147 Posts
          Posted: January 3, 2013, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Morning llucas07,

No, the C3 cell is the "changeable" cell, ie: place the number you want to convert into that cell. (10, 21, 31, etc.)

Then place the formulas into different cells for the results. Not having worked on this design of greenfox's yet, I can't tell you which cells he'll place the formulas into, but I believe there will be several different cells containing these formulas.

Hope that clears it up a bit for you.

For those of you using Lotus 123, here are the original formulas and the Excel conversion formulas:

Lotus 123 - Addition formula:

@IF(B103<=9,B103,@VALUE(@LEFT(@STRING(B103,0),1))+@VALUE(@RIGHT(@STRING(B103,0),1)))

Excel - Addition formula conversion:

Lotus 123 - Subtraction formula:

@IF(B103<=9,B103,@IF(@VALUE(@RIGHT(@STRING(B103,0),1))=0,10-@VALUE(@LEFT(@STRING(B103,0),1)),@IF(@VALUE(@LEFT(@STRING(B103,0),1))>@VALUE(@RIGHT(@STRING(B103,0),1)),(10+@VALUE(@RIGHT(@STRING(B103,0),1)))-@VALUE(@LEFT(@STRING(B103,0),1)),@VALUE(@RIGHT(@STRING(B103,0),1))-@VALUE(@LEFT(@STRING(B103,0),1)))))

Excel - Subtraction formula conversion:

=IF(C3<=9,C3,IF(VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1))=0,10-VALUE(LEFT(TEXT(C3,0),1)),IF(VALUE(LEFT(TEXT(C3,0),1))>VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1)),ABS(VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1))-VALUE(LEFT(TEXT(C3,0),1))),VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1))-

1) A major difference. Notice that the difference between the 2 program formulas is the use of the "@" sign in Lotus 123 to designate a function and the "=" sign in Excel to designate a formula. In Lotus 123, the "@" sign is used at the beginning of each functions usage. In Excel, the "=" sign is only used once.

2) Another major difference. In Lotus 123, you use the function @STRING. In Excel, you would use the function =TEXT. In a nested usage (as displayed), you only need to use the "=" sign once so the function looks like "TEXT" instead of "=TEXT" if it were only used once.

For those of you familiar with Excel, my explanation is useless. But, for those of you converting from Lotus 123 to to Excel (as I am attempting to do), it makes a major difference in formula construction.

Hope these explanations help and that I didn't bore anyone... Thanks for reading...

llucas07's avatar - batman14
            Gastonia, NC
            United States
            Member #117368
            October 4, 2011
            1677 Posts
            Posted: January 3, 2013, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

Morning llucas07,

No, the C3 cell is the "changeable" cell, ie: place the number you want to convert into that cell. (10, 21, 31, etc.)

Then place the formulas into different cells for the results. Not having worked on this design of greenfox's yet, I can't tell you which cells he'll place the formulas into, but I believe there will be several different cells containing these formulas.

Hope that clears it up a bit for you.

For those of you using Lotus 123, here are the original formulas and the Excel conversion formulas:

Lotus 123 - Addition formula:

@IF(B103<=9,B103,@VALUE(@LEFT(@STRING(B103,0),1))+@VALUE(@RIGHT(@STRING(B103,0),1)))

Excel - Addition formula conversion:

Lotus 123 - Subtraction formula:

@IF(B103<=9,B103,@IF(@VALUE(@RIGHT(@STRING(B103,0),1))=0,10-@VALUE(@LEFT(@STRING(B103,0),1)),@IF(@VALUE(@LEFT(@STRING(B103,0),1))>@VALUE(@RIGHT(@STRING(B103,0),1)),(10+@VALUE(@RIGHT(@STRING(B103,0),1)))-@VALUE(@LEFT(@STRING(B103,0),1)),@VALUE(@RIGHT(@STRING(B103,0),1))-@VALUE(@LEFT(@STRING(B103,0),1)))))

=IF(C3<=9,C3,IF(VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1))=0,10-VALUE(LEFT(TEXT(C3,0),1)),IF(VALUE(LEFT(TEXT(C3,0),1))>VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1)),ABS(VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1))-VALUE(LEFT(TEXT(C3,0),1))),VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1))-

1) A major difference. Notice that the difference between the 2 program formulas is the use of the "@" sign in Lotus 123 to designate a function and the "=" sign in Excel to designate a formula. In Lotus 123, the "@" sign is used at the beginning of each functions usage. In Excel, the "=" sign is only used once.

2) Another major difference. In Lotus 123, you use the function @STRING. In Excel, you would use the function =TEXT. In a nested usage (as displayed), you only need to use the "=" sign once so the function looks like "TEXT" instead of "=TEXT" if it were only used once.

For those of you familiar with Excel, my explanation is useless. But, for those of you converting from Lotus 123 to to Excel (as I am attempting to do), it makes a major difference in formula construction.

Hope these explanations help and that I didn't bore anyone... Thanks for reading...

Thanks, LL

I See Brighter Things AheadSun Smiley

retxx's avatar - mrthumbs
              BOSTON
              United States
              Member #48
              September 9, 2001
              3593 Posts
              Posted: January 3, 2013, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

I wentto download the books again but it said they have been deleted and to contact you to upload them again. thanks

retxx's avatar - mrthumbs
                BOSTON
                United States
                Member #48
                September 9, 2001
                3593 Posts
                Posted: January 3, 2013, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

hi kh; any chance to use this with open office apache with your help/ thanks

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                  Economy class
                  Belgium
                  Member #123700
                  February 27, 2012
                  4035 Posts
                  Posted: January 3, 2013, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

=IF(C3<=9,C3,IF(VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1))=0,

...if(right(text(c3,0),1)="0",

Economy class
                    Belgium
                    Member #123700
                    February 27, 2012
                    4035 Posts
                    Posted: January 3, 2013, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

If you want to do the sum of two digits, there is an easier way.

United States
                      Member #73037
                      April 3, 2009
                      147 Posts
                      Posted: January 3, 2013, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

=IF(C3<=9,C3,IF(VALUE(RIGHT(TEXT(C3,0),1))=0,

...if(right(text(c3,0),1)="0",

Hello SergeM,

Since I'm fairly new to Excel and don't fully comprehend how everything works, please explain the differences.

My formula uses the "VALUE" function in the formula and yours does not. Plus, I did not encase the 0 (zero) in quotes whereas you did.

I was operating under the impression that not using the "VALUE" function left the result in a "Text" format whereas my use of the "VALUE" function leaves the result as a number.

I have custom functions created in Lotus 123 that will do what greenfox is attempting to do, but I don't know have to convert them to Excel macros.

Economy class
                        Belgium
                        Member #123700
                        February 27, 2012
                        4035 Posts
                        Posted: January 3, 2013, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

I have trouble to sleep, so I am at my computer again.

Column A: input, first cell is empty and the next cells have numbers with 1 to 3 digits.

Column B: function to sum up 0 to 2 digits. The function might be something like =integer(A1/10)+mod(A1,10) in your version and works for two digit numbers to no digit only. Column C: sum of digits. Column D: reduced sum of digits. CASE 99: 9+9=18, for the last column: 9+9=18\1+8=9. Columns C and D are programmed. Column D fails to do 999 as the functions can only handle 0 to 2 digits.

Economy class
                          Belgium
                          Member #123700
                          February 27, 2012
                          4035 Posts
                          Posted: January 3, 2013, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

Hello SergeM,

Since I'm fairly new to Excel and don't fully comprehend how everything works, please explain the differences.

My formula uses the "VALUE" function in the formula and yours does not. Plus, I did not encase the 0 (zero) in quotes whereas you did.

I was operating under the impression that not using the "VALUE" function left the result in a "Text" format whereas my use of the "VALUE" function leaves the result as a number.

I have custom functions created in Lotus 123 that will do what greenfox is attempting to do, but I don't know have to convert them to Excel macros.

You used two text functions that return in text format.

0=0 returns true.
                          0="0" returns false.
                          text(0,0)="0" returns true.
                          "0"="0" returns true.

You don't need macros for this. Macros are useful to transport data from one place to another when you can't do this with functions. This is not the case.

For my previous post above, it is column B not column D that fails to make the sum of three digits.

Burnsville
                            United States
                            Member #107244
                            March 4, 2011
                            853 Posts
                            Posted: January 3, 2013, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

Morning GF,

Per our discussions last year regarding these formulas and their results: I'm very happy to see that your frame of mind has changed to allow you to comprehend the results I was attempting to relay to you. I understand due to what was going on last year... You still have my condolences... I wish there was something I could do for that...

Back to business. When you have a "0" pop up in the results, that zero must become a "10" to properly subtract a number from it, otherwise the results don't work correctly. (This was the problem I kept trying to get you to understand.)

Also, when the left number is greater than the right number, the right number must be converted to be greater than the left number for the subtraction to work correctly also.

Because I understand Lotus 123 better than I do Excel, I had to create the formulas in Lotus 123, than convert them to Excel formulas. It took me about a hour and a half to do it all. Glad you like the results. Hope they work and provide the results that I had expected.

I see what your saying with the 0. It has been a thorn in my side since working on this. But it's all good. We got it now and I'm liking it.

The past year has been a completely different life that's for sure. It's getting there also though. And i appreciate your kind words. You've been a great help and someone great to share and talk with on this. I honestly can't thank you enough for all you've done with my ideas and trying to understand them. Which i know isn't easy, with the way i explain things.

I did have to change the front of that formula to show 0 instead of the number but thanks to your explaining how it worked, i got it. I couldn't see the numbers like i was with the numbers being copied over when it was a single digit. If it wasn't for that formula i wouldn't be where i am now with it, and that's a big thank you to you again for that.

I don't know if i could change the formulas from Lotus to excel. I've never done that before and I do remember you telling me about the IF for excel and something for Lotus. I just can't remember what it was.

That's an hour and a half, that i am very grateful for, and I think you'll be happy when you see what it did. I think we all will.

Burnsville
                              United States
                              Member #107244
                              March 4, 2011
                              853 Posts
                              Posted: January 3, 2013, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

I wentto download the books again but it said they have been deleted and to contact you to upload them again. thanks

Just bare with me retxx. I got something i think we'll all like. Just about ready with them.

Page 17 of 53