Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 8:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Florida Scratch Offs - Post Pictures if posible

5931 replies. Last post 10 hours ago by MattfromPA.

Page 261 of 396
PrintE-mailLink
Cape Coral
United States
Member #173988
March 28, 2016
241 Posts
Posted: July 13, 2016, 1:43 am - IP Logged

Thank you for the responses everyone.  It has put me in a very awkward position. I have never had this kind of money before, and neither has anyone in my family. After all is said and done as far as buying my own home, car, clearing debt, etc..etc.. It leaves me about  $675k left over.  And that amount includes 17k to my brother and 20k to my mom.   I cannot, and will not give them 100k each.  My mom has never been financially smart at all.  She has refinanced her house about 4x over the last 25 years and currently owes more money on it then its worth.  My brother is 32, works a dead end job, has no real education, and makes about $12 an hour. Lives with his GF that is the same.   He is a good kid though, and has never really asked me for anything before.

I just cant get over the shock that they both are expecting 100k. Its just mind boggling.  Im not even sure how to approach it with them. I have good relationships with both of them. I have never asked for, or taken anything from either of them. I will not just hand over that kind of cash, but im not sure how they will act when I dont. As much as I dont want to damage good family relationships, I cannot mess up this opportunity because I feel guilty and they feel greedy.

orlando,fl
    United States
    Member #89879
    April 17, 2010
    153 Posts
    Posted: July 13, 2016, 1:56 am - IP Logged

Just curious though you gave your Dad and Stepmom? (I'm assuming since your mom wants 100k she isn't receiving part of the 250k you gave your Dad and his spouse) 250k ticket which is 125k each before taxes. I would think you would give your mom equal value. I can see paying off your bro car which is cool but giving more to your mom. I don't know how your relationship is with either but do what you feel is sufficient in your mind and hopefully they will appreciate and respect that. If I ever win big my Mom states she be the first I tell and get half lol.

Florida
      United States
      Member #171925
      January 13, 2016
      345 Posts
      Posted: July 13, 2016, 2:31 am - IP Logged

Thank you for the responses everyone.  It has put me in a very awkward position. I have never had this kind of money before, and neither has anyone in my family. After all is said and done as far as buying my own home, car, clearing debt, etc..etc.. It leaves me about  $675k left over.  And that amount includes 17k to my brother and 20k to my mom.   I cannot, and will not give them 100k each.  My mom has never been financially smart at all.  She has refinanced her house about 4x over the last 25 years and currently owes more money on it then its worth.  My brother is 32, works a dead end job, has no real education, and makes about $12 an hour. Lives with his GF that is the same.   He is a good kid though, and has never really asked me for anything before.

I just cant get over the shock that they both are expecting 100k. Its just mind boggling.  Im not even sure how to approach it with them. I have good relationships with both of them. I have never asked for, or taken anything from either of them. I will not just hand over that kind of cash, but im not sure how they will act when I dont. As much as I dont want to damage good family relationships, I cannot mess up this opportunity because I feel guilty and they feel greedy.

In reference to your last line:

If you feel guilty or would feel guilty, it's only because they've created expectations of you that came from their own minds, not because of something you said or lead them to believe. if you give them more than you planned, it's out of guilt they manufactured. So you give them what they're "expecting" and the guilt is gone, but then you'll resent them for making you do that. I think the guilt would pass if you stick to your original plan, especially if you recognize that it wasn't anything you did to create that guilt. The eventual resentment you would feel, on the other hand, is something you're in control of and can prevent.

Florida
        United States
        Member #167757
        July 29, 2015
        373 Posts
        Posted: July 13, 2016, 2:47 am - IP Logged

"Sorry mom and bro. I can only give you X-dollars because of two reasons: A) the IRS, B) I put the rest of the money in a structured trust that will only trickle out a few grand a month to me for the next sixteen years. Gotta keep the bills paid. We'll maybe talk about this again after I maybe hit another jackpot."

Cape Coral
          United States
          Member #173988
          March 28, 2016
          241 Posts
          Posted: July 13, 2016, 4:04 am - IP Logged

Just curious though you gave your Dad and Stepmom? (I'm assuming since your mom wants 100k she isn't receiving part of the 250k you gave your Dad and his spouse) 250k ticket which is 125k each before taxes. I would think you would give your mom equal value. I can see paying off your bro car which is cool but giving more to your mom. I don't know how your relationship is with either but do what you feel is sufficient in your mind and hopefully they will appreciate and respect that. If I ever win big my Mom states she be the first I tell and get half lol.

I was raised primarily by my father and step mom, and have a much stronger bond with him then I do my mother. I have a good relationship with her, but not like I do with my father.

Cape Coral
            United States
            Member #173988
            March 28, 2016
            241 Posts
            Posted: July 13, 2016, 4:05 am - IP Logged

"Sorry mom and bro. I can only give you X-dollars because of two reasons: A) the IRS, B) I put the rest of the money in a structured trust that will only trickle out a few grand a month to me for the next sixteen years. Gotta keep the bills paid. We'll maybe talk about this again after I maybe hit another jackpot."

I thought about using that excuse. As a matter of fact, I did mention that to the person that told me what their expectations where. At least the IRS part anyways... His response?....  "Write up a promissory note and avoid the IRS so it looks like a loan and not a gift"....   

meh.

Florida
              United States
              Member #167757
              July 29, 2015
              373 Posts
              Posted: July 13, 2016, 4:49 am - IP Logged

I thought about using that excuse. As a matter of fact, I did mention that to the person that told me what their expectations where. At least the IRS part anyways... His response?....  "Write up a promissory note and avoid the IRS so it looks like a loan and not a gift"....   

meh.

Meh is right. I'm pretty sure the IRS is staffed only by robots sent from the future. I'd rob banks before I'd defraud the IRS. At least FBI agents have to sleep.

United States
                Member #175371
                June 13, 2016
                254 Posts
                Posted: July 13, 2016, 6:56 am - IP Logged

meh.

don't be bullied over what should be an amazing time in your life ... securing your future ... stay strong

Douglasville, GA
                  United States
                  Member #126604
                  April 12, 2012
                  870 Posts
                  Posted: July 13, 2016, 10:27 am - IP Logged

Adam I am not sure how old you are but I assume you are fairly young since your brother is 32. With that being said if you kept all that money to yourself how much do you think you would have when you retire? Do you have or plan on having kids? I would ask these questions plus others before deciding on giving anything. You already gave $250,000. Hindsight is 20/20 but I would have split that amongst the 4 of them and held on to the other winnings. At the end of the day do what is best for you and your situation and not what someone expects of you. I wouldn't be stingy but not so giving that I become resentful. Good luck on your decision.

florida
                    United States
                    Member #175659
                    June 28, 2016
                    152 Posts
                    Posted: July 13, 2016, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

I agree with everyone in some sense. I would tell them that I wish I had hit more but honestly $2 million isn't going to last the rest of your life unless you die early or invest it wisely. I can see how giving them a large about could just conjure up more problems as they use it up and splurge on unnecessary things in life. Then you have the fact that now you have given 4 people in your family money..what about the others? Just too many problems that you shouldn't have to worry about Adam. Enjoy the win and explain to them honestly how you feel. If they are mad let it be because they didn't put in the effort you did and its your winnings you can do what you want with them. Take care bud!

United States
                      Member #159617
                      October 2, 2014
                      251 Posts
                      Posted: July 13, 2016, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

Is it just Me   the new Monopoly tickets suck!  I can't win on any of them but in my area people just sit there and play till they win so if you walk into the store more likely your going to buy a dud.

Largo
                        United States
                        Member #157181
                        July 11, 2014
                        197 Posts
                        Posted: July 13, 2016, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

They suck in my area too. I won 50$ on the 10$ game. The 20$ game has been nothing but duds.

Florida
                          United States
                          Member #172872
                          February 7, 2016
                          792 Posts
                          Posted: July 13, 2016, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

Is it just Me   the new Monopoly tickets suck!  I can't win on any of them but in my area people just sit there and play till they win so if you walk into the store more likely your going to buy a dud.

Same experiences here. I've encountered 11 duds in a row in a $5 monopoly, 8 duds in a row on a $10 monopoly followed by a $10 "winner". -.-

I'm surprised a top prize hasn't been hit on the $5 ticket yet. My biggest win was $30 in a $5 ticket, and $50 in a $10 ticket. I gave it all back, and more playing #losingstreak which has been horrible lately, and Shoddy 7s. I also lost $200 ALONE on Unlucky 200k/yr for life 

I'm personally refraining from scratchoffs until September, which is when I'll be in South Fl. Maybe I can finally win something nice when I visit for two months.

@ Adam - I second the advice everyone has given you. You have a daughter, wife, and yourself to take care of. In about 10 years, you are going to have to think about your daughter's college, which can be an expense even with scholarships. 675k is one hell of a savings account for your own financial security, but not nearly enough to gift your entire family 100k. I'd say you've been extremely generous to everyone, and it is time you tell them no.

Florida
                            United States
                            Member #172872
                            February 7, 2016
                            792 Posts
                            Posted: July 13, 2016, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

I feel your pain Dracos, but...Ramen noodles aren't that bad!!! When I hit it big, I'll undoubtedly live off of filet mignon and ramen (ALBEIT not together).

Definitely respect the mandatory curtail. No cash, all card has helped me when my natural sense could not.

I'm about ready for a sabbatical myself.  Down several grand too over the past 6 months...biggest win was $100 on $5 WOF. Not so much the overall loss that pains me but the many instances of roll chasing to find myself utterly screwed. Playing $20 tickets and dud after dud just to get back a mere $20 or $40 on 8th successive ticket. That makes the habit/thrill/ream awfully hard to justify.

I spent about $250 this weekend on mainly $5-250k cashfalll, $5 monopoly and mostly $20 monopoly tickets. Got back about $180...could've been worse but not a single ticket with payout more then  double its face value. I entered the losing Mono Tix in 2nd chance. Maybe will have something there...don't know.

Anyone have experience with 2nd chance drawings?

I'm not giving up yet, just being cautious...maybe I need to branch out and purchase tickets at different establishments or limit myself to one a day (then again, I know me better). I know so far, I've been hugely disappointed with eh last 3 new tickets the State has put out there, particularly Winning Streak and Monopoly. 

This chase/game hurts so bad but feels so good!!!!! Evil Smile

kgrillz, your post made me chuckle and was comforting to read. Sorry to hear about your rough luck lately. Maybe you should take a break as well, or come up with a system. I need to follow a system of playing once every few weeks since I can't control my habits on a regular basis (and possibly need to pay all bills and put aside maybe only $100 a month for lotto). Losing hundreds/thousands of dollars is painful, and something we can't sustain.

I have experience in the 2nd chance drawing, and was an alternate winner for the Flamingo one. We had someone win the Second Chance drawing (Loneranger I think?).

florida
                              United States
                              Member #175659
                              June 28, 2016
                              152 Posts
                              Posted: July 13, 2016, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

Also Adam, I know winning a large amount probably comes with plenty of people recommending financial advisors, but I graduated this past spring with a degree in finance and financial services. To finish the financial services side we had to take a cumulative course on the material and the professor we had would be a great person to talk to and even hire based on the rates I have seen out there. He works in a stand alone small business but he knows the ins and outs and will care more than the big box financial companies. Just an idea, p.m. me if you're interested.

Draco's: Man I'm sorry bro you are having a rough time with tickets in general the past couple of months. Hope you land a big one to recoup some losses soon!!

Page 261 of 396