Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do any systems actually work?

Topic closed. 160 replies. Last post 3 years ago by onlymoney.

Page 3 of 11
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19898 Posts
Posted: May 9, 2014, 12:36 am - IP Logged

If it only worked once, it isn't a system. It is luck.

It was claimed when Brad Duke won his PB jackpot that he used a system he designed himself and far as I know that was the only time it won a jackpot so I guess you would call that luck.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Goteki54's avatar - Lottery-007.jpg
    Baltimore, MD
    United States
    Member #143332
    May 30, 2013
    401 Posts
    Posted: May 9, 2014, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Random numbers do form patterns, so if you develop a system that is pattern based, your odd will definitely increase and lead to more wins.Some variables are just absolute. Of course no system can guarantee a win, it comes down to percentages of wins with the system that determines it's worth.

Following the trends and patterns means following the money!Banana

WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
      Stone Mountain*Georgia
      United States
      Member #828
      November 2, 2002
      10491 Posts
      Posted: May 9, 2014, 11:36 am - IP Logged

In general ....... "the trend is your friend."

It may not be my friend or even their friend but it's probably someone's friend ......some where at some time or the other.  LOL 

"It's an ill wind that doesn't blow someone some good" 

......... and one of my favorites 

" If something is 50/50 there is a 90% chance you will pick the wrong one!" Coffee

The only real failure .....is the failure to try.                               

Luck is a very rare thing....... Odds not so much. 

Odds never change .....but probability does. 

Win d    

Jani Norman's avatar - fiftyways
        OHIO
        United States
        Member #4164
        March 27, 2004
        14586 Posts
        Posted: May 9, 2014, 11:53 am - IP Logged

It may not be my friend or even their friend but it's probably someone's friend ......some where at some time or the other.  LOL 

" If something is 50/50 there is a 90% chance you will pick the wrong one!" Coffee

I Agree!

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

North Chesterfield, VA
          United States
          Member #148250
          October 26, 2013
          915 Posts
          Posted: May 9, 2014, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

This agrees with my experience and sums up in a few words what it would take me pages and pages to say. In the time I've been closely following the Virginia Pick 3 numbers since the late 1990s, I've seen many methods and systems catch fire, then fizzle out. That's why I developed a rule. I try something until I get bored or I find another method, then I just move on. Right now my favorite method isn't working so I've been doing what many others do and just buying an occasional Quick Pick. I'd never done that before, but no other methods or systems are working for me right now, and that's a fun way to keep my hand in w/out spending a lot of money. However, if I see something interesting happen, I'll drop the QP like a bad habit and jump right on it. Lol.

Oh, one thing I wanted to add about the "trend" thing. One of the first trends I noticed in Virginia was numbers repeating. That used to happen a LOT in Virginia P3, then it eased up. In recent years, it's started up briefly and then stopped again maybe two or three times a year. Still, I know that if I start seeing numbers repeat, I can probably call a hit by picking a number that shows and replaying it from 10 days out to 23 days out after the first time it shows. That's my favorite example of how to win by trend spotting. There's one number in the VA P3, 688, that used to be so easy to get a hit on this way that it was like shooting ducks in a barrel. The trick with 688 was that it didn't wait, it started repeating again the next draw, so you really had to jump right on it. However, no more. That quit happening. End of Trend. Bored. Move on. Get it?

Anyway, as I said, find a trend, whatever the heck it is, and make hay while the sun shines, then hang back and don't get caught up in the trap of wasting your money when nothing is trending. I see a lot of folks doing that chasing the triples (000,111,222,...,999) EVERY draw. Don't do that. That's a money trap to be avoided.

One other thing. Never underestimate the power of intuition. If you're feeling a number, forget about trends and systems and play the number. I tend to get caught up in looking at the numbers a particular way (and not finding anything) at the expense of listening to my intuition. I think I've missed a few flashes of intuition that way and it's something I'm thinking about.

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7343 Posts
            Posted: May 9, 2014, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,
            This:
            And those players know they can still make a profit matching 4 numbers and only a small loss by matching 3 numbers in most 5/39 games.
            does not pass the So What test.

"does not pass the So What test."

The topic here is "Do any systems actually work" and I mentioned LP has over 100 systems guaranteed to work and you mentioned you can't afford to play them (Very few can afford to play like that).

I pointed out how it's possible for a player to match less than the wheel guarantee and still show a profit or a small loss; in other words it's possible to make a profit when the system fails to work. Any full wheel is guaranteed to win a jackpot when five of the player's numbers are drawn and you're making an silly argument about payoffs when three numbers are drawn.

Do you have proof the wheels I mentioned don't have a guarantee?

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
              Happyland
              United States
              Member #146344
              September 1, 2013
              1131 Posts
              Posted: May 9, 2014, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

Random numbers do form patterns, so if you develop a system that is pattern based, your odd will definitely increase and lead to more wins.Some variables are just absolute. Of course no system can guarantee a win, it comes down to percentages of wins with the system that determines it's worth.

If random numbers formed patterns, then they would not be random. It would be more accurate to instead say, "To humans, who perceive patterns in everything from pancakes to plant leaves, random numbers form patterns." The same applies to "trends." Random numbers do not form true trends. Academia has studied both lottery claims and found that there is no significance to using these techniques versus random quick pick.

As I've stated in the past and will continue to state, the only way a trend or pattern would be valid and exploitable is if the ballset/machine is biased. And because the ballset is changed EVERY drawing, and the machine changed at least once a month (every drawing for bigger games), this is not likely to occur. It has occurred, but again, very rare...the lottery tends to take extreme measures to ensure the "integrity" of the drawings.

If you disregard the fact that ballsets/machines are changed drawing to drawing, then you are basically confirming that you believe numbers have nothing to do with the physical act of drawing. This conflicts with the claim that too many drawings, pre-tests, etcetera mess with the "flow" of numbers.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
              If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
              P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7343 Posts
                Posted: May 9, 2014, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

It was claimed when Brad Duke won his PB jackpot that he used a system he designed himself and far as I know that was the only time it won a jackpot so I guess you would call that luck.

LP has 25 line 2 if 5 of 39 wheel that could match all five numbers every drawing. A co-worker told me his system, showed me the lines he was playing, and won the Buckeye Five jackpot the next day.

I'd call it luck if a player used the QP feature to place the numbers into the 2 if 5 wheel, but should we call it when players do selects the right five numbers?

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3502 Posts
                  Posted: May 9, 2014, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

The only guarantee one gets by purchasing a full 3003 15 number wheel is after meeting the conditions. The players purchasing $5 or less in QPs are either betting they're going to win something or making a contribution. All bets are conditional and players can win jackpots by matching the conditions of a full number wheel, guraranteed.

"Just a few consecutive losses with such an approach is known as economic suicide."

You're probably correct in that very few players will play a full 15 number wheel, but it should be obvious when a player does, it's because they believe 5 of their 15 number will be drawn. And those players know they can still make a profit matching 4 numbers and only a small loss by matching 3 numbers in most 5/39 games.

"Guarantee + Jackpot" = Insanity.

Did someone else tell you playing a conditional wheel guaranteed a jackpot because I was clear on the fact to win a jackpot players must meet the conditions of the full number wheel?

"I was clear on the fact to win a jackpot players must meet the conditions of the full number wheel?"

Yet you had no problem saying this a little earlier:

"LP has over 100 systems guaranteed to work "

Only an idiot or scammer trying to sell a system would say it's "guaranteed to work".

Once you include the disclaimers required to make the "guarantee" honest it's only as useful as a guarantee that tomorrow will be Sunday as long as today is Saturday. It's technically true, but you'll only be right 1 out of 7 times.

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3502 Posts
                    Posted: May 9, 2014, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

If random numbers formed patterns, then they would not be random. It would be more accurate to instead say, "To humans, who perceive patterns in everything from pancakes to plant leaves, random numbers form patterns." The same applies to "trends." Random numbers do not form true trends. Academia has studied both lottery claims and found that there is no significance to using these techniques versus random quick pick.

As I've stated in the past and will continue to state, the only way a trend or pattern would be valid and exploitable is if the ballset/machine is biased. And because the ballset is changed EVERY drawing, and the machine changed at least once a month (every drawing for bigger games), this is not likely to occur. It has occurred, but again, very rare...the lottery tends to take extreme measures to ensure the "integrity" of the drawings.

If you disregard the fact that ballsets/machines are changed drawing to drawing, then you are basically confirming that you believe numbers have nothing to do with the physical act of drawing. This conflicts with the claim that too many drawings, pre-tests, etcetera mess with the "flow" of numbers.

"If random numbers formed patterns, then they would not be random."

That's not quite true. Just because something happens randomly doesn't mean that patterns can't occur.  What is true is that patterns from the past won't offer any usefulness for predicting the outcome of random events in the future.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                      San Angelo, Texas
                      United States
                      Member #1097
                      January 31, 2003
                      1405 Posts
                      Posted: May 9, 2014, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Anyone who takes the time to actually watch a few drawings (Texas WebCast, good example) would get a better understanding of what
                      'random' means where lotteries are concerned.

IMHO, the manner in which the numbered objects in enclosed vessels are disturbed with compressed air and become winning digits is not purely 100% random, just random enough to minimize repetition - which is what lotteries want.
                      Using three or four vessels for Daily games, in lieu of one vessel with 30 or 40 objects, adds variety and additional randomness.
                      And it works!
                      Some pick 6 lottery games have been going for years without the same full combination coming up more than once.|
                      There is more repetition in pick 3 and pick 4 games, simply because of the smaller number of possible combinations.
                      Asking or wondering if a particular game is random is a waste of time.
                      The answer is - of course they are!!
                      A lot of players complain about lotteries not being 100% random.
                      Does this mean folks who lose can feel they would have won had the selection process been purely random, instead of being 'sufficiently random'???
                      It probably wouldn't have made a difference.
                      There was a day in Texas last year when '666' came up in back-to-back drawings.
                      The 'not random chorus' went on for days.
                      Folks just weren't willing to accept that it was just 'coincidence.'
                      There are applications in life where 100% random is important, like the ciphers used to scramble messages, etc., but lotteries is not one of them.

Happyland
                        United States
                        Member #146344
                        September 1, 2013
                        1131 Posts
                        Posted: May 9, 2014, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

"If random numbers formed patterns, then they would not be random."

That's not quite true. Just because something happens randomly doesn't mean that patterns can't occur.  What is true is that patterns from the past won't offer any usefulness for predicting the outcome of random events in the future.

I speak of patterns in the definition that they are intelligible and useful. Patterns are only what we humans make of them. A string of 4s and 5s would mean nothing to any other animal or element in the universe. Obviously, given infinite time, 'streaks' of numbers or sets of numbers will occur. But as you said, historical streaks or patterns offer no usefulness for predicting future streaks or patterns in a random process.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

Happyland
                          United States
                          Member #146344
                          September 1, 2013
                          1131 Posts
                          Posted: May 9, 2014, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Anyone who takes the time to actually watch a few drawings (Texas WebCast, good example) would get a better understanding of what
                          'random' means where lotteries are concerned.

IMHO, the manner in which the numbered objects in enclosed vessels are disturbed with compressed air and become winning digits is not purely 100% random, just random enough to minimize repetition - which is what lotteries want.
                          Using three or four vessels for Daily games, in lieu of one vessel with 30 or 40 objects, adds variety and additional randomness.
                          And it works!
                          Some pick 6 lottery games have been going for years without the same full combination coming up more than once.|
                          There is more repetition in pick 3 and pick 4 games, simply because of the smaller number of possible combinations.
                          Asking or wondering if a particular game is random is a waste of time.
                          The answer is - of course they are!!
                          A lot of players complain about lotteries not being 100% random.
                          Does this mean folks who lose can feel they would have won had the selection process been purely random, instead of being 'sufficiently random'???
                          It probably wouldn't have made a difference.
                          There was a day in Texas last year when '666' came up in back-to-back drawings.
                          The 'not random chorus' went on for days.
                          Folks just weren't willing to accept that it was just 'coincidence.'
                          There are applications in life where 100% random is important, like the ciphers used to scramble messages, etc., but lotteries is not one of them.

Bobby, I agree.

You say, "Using three or four vessels for Daily games, in lieu of one vessel with 30 or 40 objects, adds variety and additional randomness."

As I mentioned, using interchanged machines and ballsets likewise improves the randomness of a drawing. There is always a slight possibility that a given machine or ballset could be defective, so by increasing the number of used physical mediums, they can somewhat "cancel" out any bias or defect. In my experience, lotteries that do not change their sets/machines frequently tend to have exploitable drawings (albeit not biased enough to beat the odds).

grwurston's avatar - 144
                            Let's Go Rangers!!!
                            bel air maryland
                            United States
                            Member #90251
                            April 24, 2010
                            5111 Posts
                            Posted: May 9, 2014, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

I speak of patterns in the definition that they are intelligible and useful. Patterns are only what we humans make of them. A string of 4s and 5s would mean nothing to any other animal or element in the universe. Obviously, given infinite time, 'streaks' of numbers or sets of numbers will occur. But as you said, historical streaks or patterns offer no usefulness for predicting future streaks or patterns in a random process.

...historical streaks or patterns offer no usefulness for predicting future streaks or patterns in a random process.

Yes, they do. The lottery is full of patterns. They may occur for a short time over a few draws or over the long term. A
                            perfect example is the "old man's zero trick" (Do a search). Numbers repeating from the previous draw, even
                            numbered doubles hitting 5 times in a row, series numbers appearing in groups, numbers not going more than 10 days without hitting. These are all examples of patterns that happen every day. Any one that doesn't see patterns is not studying or looking at their games hard enough. Granted they are not always this obvious, but they are there. You have to study your game.
                            When you get a hit, ask yourself, "How did I get that, what did I see, what was I thinking?" Write it down, so you don't forget. When a number comes up and you say to yourself, "How did I miss that...?" Do the same thing.  It will happen again, you want to be ready when it does. IMO, the biggest reason people lose is because they thought, "Oh, that's not gonna happen." And then it does... And that is random kicking your butt. The more you study your state's game the better player you will become. Learn the nuances. It's all about observation.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10390 Posts
                              Posted: May 10, 2014, 12:13 am - IP Logged

Stack47,

This type of terminology:
                              ...in other words it's possible to make a profit when the system fails to work.
                              is used by those selling baloney systems quite often and is another red flag, and once again does not pass the SO WHAT test.

It's very common for those selling blackjack systems to use the phrase "You'll win even if you lose more hands than you win." Then the rest of the system turned out to be pure rubbish, such as play dealer's rules.

All you are proving with your posts in this thread is that the desire for there to be a system that beats lotteries does more than anything else to sell lottery systems. Sell the sizzle, not the steak. Sell the 'maybes', not actual results. Your posts are full of maybe, could, etc.....

Pretty simple, lotteries love system players because they play more $$$$$.

As far as your wheels and a guarantee, yeah, I'll guarantee it's going to be a rare event that you pick the right five numbers consistently, or if ever.

One 'did' beats millions of 'coulds.'

Regardless of the means of number selection any time the numbers played are the numbers drawn it is pure blind luck.   Lep

Or were you in on the "Mike Tyson to beat Buster Douglas" system?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Page 3 of 11