Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 10:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Florida Lottery Holiday Millionaire Raffle

Topic closed. 199 replies. Last post 1 year ago by morgothaod.

Page 1 of 14
PrintE-mailLink
Sum Buddy's avatar - AVATAR1 zps193xol4h.jpg

United States
Member #129928
July 1, 2012
111 Posts
Posted: November 12, 2015, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

Looks like the Florida Lottery will be trying a raffle again this year.  From what I can see, it was Dec. 2012 since they've had a raffle. 

I believe their first raffle was in 2006, tickets were $20, and they sold out 1,000,000 tickets.  So they had more Dec. holiday raffles that were also successful, and then they started having an additional raffle in July. Then the raffle tickets weren't selling out, so they lowered the price/jackpot and generally fiddled around with it until they threw up their hands and gave up.

This years sales are capped at 750,000 tickets @ $20 each, with 7 top prizes of $1,000,000 (at odds of 1: 107143.) 

So who's gonna play?  Do you think they'll sell out?  I'm good for a couple of tickets myself.

Good Luck, everybody!

Wink

morgothaod's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg

United States
    Member #154519
    April 19, 2014
    246 Posts
    Posted: November 13, 2015, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

I'll buy one and become a big winner! Banana

United States
      Member #129928
      July 1, 2012
      111 Posts
      Posted: November 14, 2015, 6:25 am - IP Logged

I like your plan!

Luckily for me, that still leaves 6 grand prizes of $1,000,000!

LOL

Miami
        United States
        Member #169368
        October 14, 2015
        4 Posts
        Posted: November 15, 2015, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

I just bought two tickets today, crossing my fingers! ill probably buy a couple more.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
          Member #106923
          February 27, 2011
          479 Posts
          Posted: November 15, 2015, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

I like your plan!

Luckily for me, that still leaves 6 grand prizes of $1,000,000!

LOL

I plan on being in the Florida state early next week.  I'll buy a winning grand prize ticket, so that now leaves 5.  Nothing like sharing, especially in separate grand prizes!

Party

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
            NY State
            United States
            Member #92609
            June 10, 2010
            3817 Posts
            Posted: November 16, 2015, 5:21 am - IP Logged

Looks like the Florida Lottery will be trying a raffle again this year.  From what I can see, it was Dec. 2012 since they've had a raffle. 

I believe their first raffle was in 2006, tickets were $20, and they sold out 1,000,000 tickets.  So they had more Dec. holiday raffles that were also successful, and then they started having an additional raffle in July. Then the raffle tickets weren't selling out, so they lowered the price/jackpot and generally fiddled around with it until they threw up their hands and gave up.

This years sales are capped at 750,000 tickets @ $20 each, with 7 top prizes of $1,000,000 (at odds of 1: 107143.) 

So who's gonna play?  Do you think they'll sell out?  I'm good for a couple of tickets myself.

Good Luck, everybody!

Wink

That's a very nice raffle!  Better than you realize!!!

Consider the fact that Pennsylvania has a raffle going right now (Drawing is January 2nd) for a top prize of $1,000,000 too.  Four top prize winners with a maximum of 500,000 tickets to be sold.  (Odds are 125,000 to 1).

Four second prizes of $100,000 are awarded.  There are hundreds of $100 winners drawn.   

The PA Raffle has been held since the early 2000's twice per year until just recently when the had a Halloween Raffle with the same prize structure.  (It didn't sell out, but it was the very first one of the new "seasonal" raffles where they'll hold a raffle four times per year instead of two.)  I personally bought seven tickets for myself for that raffle. I did my brother a favor and bought a ticket for him with the $20 he gave to me, and he won $100. 

The New Years raffle in PA traditionally sells out as many people give tickets as Christmas gifts. I'm thinking it will sell out in PA for New Years, and my guess is that Florida's will too.  I run a pool at work, and even though I'm located an hours drive in upstate New York from PA, my pool buys 16 tickets, giving us 64 chances to win a million dollars. 

I don't know why this is the case, but in PA, ticket sales all most always skyrocket the last few days they are on sale.  Early in the cycle, they sell about 5,000 tickets per day. At the end, a week or so before the drawing, they've sold at a rate of as many as 40,000 per day.

In PA, something else has happened, and I've no explanation of why it does, but an analysis was done right here in The LP's discussion forum in a thread named "PA Raffle Countdown" by "Crazy Wombat", and an unusually high number of the top prize and second prize winning tickets are  SOLD VERY LATE IN THE SALES CYCLE.  Crazy Wombat went back as far as 2005 and did that analysis, and you can see that it happened a lot. It makes absolutely no sense to me, as my thinking it should be completely random, but the fact are the facts.  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

NY State
              United States
              Member #92609
              June 10, 2010
              3817 Posts
              Posted: November 16, 2015, 5:26 am - IP Logged

That's a very nice raffle!  Better than you realize!!!

Consider the fact that Pennsylvania has a raffle going right now (Drawing is January 2nd) for a top prize of $1,000,000 too.  Four top prize winners with a maximum of 500,000 tickets to be sold.  (Odds are 125,000 to 1).

Four second prizes of $100,000 are awarded.  There are hundreds of $100 winners drawn.   

The PA Raffle has been held since the early 2000's twice per year until just recently when the had a Halloween Raffle with the same prize structure.  (It didn't sell out, but it was the very first one of the new "seasonal" raffles where they'll hold a raffle four times per year instead of two.)  I personally bought seven tickets for myself for that raffle. I did my brother a favor and bought a ticket for him with the $20 he gave to me, and he won $100. 

The New Years raffle in PA traditionally sells out as many people give tickets as Christmas gifts. I'm thinking it will sell out in PA for New Years, and my guess is that Florida's will too.  I run a pool at work, and even though I'm located an hours drive in upstate New York from PA, my pool buys 16 tickets, giving us 64 chances to win a million dollars. 

I don't know why this is the case, but in PA, ticket sales all most always skyrocket the last few days they are on sale.  Early in the cycle, they sell about 5,000 tickets per day. At the end, a week or so before the drawing, they've sold at a rate of as many as 40,000 per day.

In PA, something else has happened, and I've no explanation of why it does, but an analysis was done right here in The LP's discussion forum in a thread named "PA Raffle Countdown" by "Crazy Wombat", and an unusually high number of the top prize and second prize winning tickets are  SOLD VERY LATE IN THE SALES CYCLE.  Crazy Wombat went back as far as 2005 and did that analysis, and you can see that it happened a lot. It makes absolutely no sense to me, as my thinking it should be completely random, but the fact are the facts.  G5

Here's a link to the thread with the discussion of the PA Raffle that was just held on 10/31/2015

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/295172/4356355

I also posted a "bump" post in that thread to bring it up to the top in The Lottery Discussion Forum.  It had fallen to page two.  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

NY State
                United States
                Member #92609
                June 10, 2010
                3817 Posts
                Posted: November 16, 2015, 5:34 am - IP Logged

Here's a second thread with lots of great information about the PA raffles.  I've no idea if it will carry over to Florida, but by reading it, it will definitely make you a smarter raffle player, regardless of the state holding the raffle.  G5

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/293331

NY State
                  United States
                  Member #92609
                  June 10, 2010
                  3817 Posts
                  Posted: November 16, 2015, 6:42 am - IP Logged

Sorry to keep bombarding you good Florida Lottery Raffle players with my posts, but I thought I'd pass on one more piece of info just for comparison's sake.

The Connecticut Lottery has been holding raffles twice per year too.  And that's where the similarities end.

Max of 275,000 ten dollar tickets sold for ONE top prize of $1,000,000.  (275,000 to 1 odds)

I'm situated about 45 minutes from CT, and my work pool and I were playing "SuperDraw" quite a bit until I heard about PA's Millionaire Raffle.  At the time, PA was just like CT in that they held a July 4th and New Years raffle. But the PA raffle had soooooo much better odds that my pool at work and I ditched CT in favor of PA. 

Last July 4th CT held a SuperDraw raffle.  They sold 137,000 tickets out of a possible 275,000, so from a player's standpoint, it was unbelievably good odds.  As of today, there has been no mention of a New Years Day 2016 Raffle on The CT Lottery's website.  If they gonna do it, they'd better get on the stick!

Another thing; CT also experiences that last minute rush by players to buy tickets.  Ticket sales are slow until the last week when they explode. (It happened last July 4th too, although you'd never guess that from the amount of tickets they sold)  I dunno why players do that in CT too.  My guess is that this phenomenon will happen in Florida too. I don't know if anybody has done any kind of analysis as to when in the sales cycle the top prize winner in CT was sold like was done for PA.

My guess about the last minute rush to buy tickets is that cost of a ticket has a lot to do with it, although I do believe there are multiple reasons as to why it happens. People probably don't want to commit twenty bucks to a raffle until they absolutely have to.  I would think too that some people are concerned that if they bought a ticket early on, and misplaced it and then learned they won a million dollars.......

In July of 2014, the top prize winner did not come forward until about Labor Day.  That's because he was driving through CT on I-95 and got stuck in a Memorial Day traffic jam. He pulled off I-95 into a rest stop to buy gas and take a rest from the jam.  He saw a sign in the gas station for SuperDraw, liked the odds, bought a ticket, shoved it in his wallet and forgot all about.  Just before Labor Day, he was going through his wallet, saw the ticket, checked the CT Lottery's website, and you know the rest of the story!  G5

United States
                    Member #129928
                    July 1, 2012
                    111 Posts
                    Posted: November 16, 2015, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, G5, very interesting thread.   I agree with what you said about $20 being a big nut for a lot of people to pony up, certainly applies to Florida, too.  Thumbs Up

That being said, the Florida Lottery is throwing everything at this puppy to make it fly.  In addition to the grand prize drawing, there are five weekly drawings with one $10,000 top prize, and 200  $500 prizes.  Plus, there is a voucher attached to the raffle ticket that allows you to enter online to win one of 10 Playoff Bonus drawing prizes of two tickets to a college football playoff semifinal, including hotel accommodations and $500 cash.  I can't help but think that they are testing the waters for regular raffle drawings in the future.

I haven't got a ticket yet, but when I do, I'll post how many have been sold at that time.  I don't know if they'll do a ticket sales counter on their website like they did on at least a couple of raffles in the past.

Wyomissing, PA
                      United States
                      Member #161050
                      November 15, 2014
                      301 Posts
                      Posted: November 16, 2015, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

An instant win component (via separate entry through lottery website for security reasons; retailers can't be trusted) would help drive sales. For many players, the $20 price-point isn't the main issue, it's the long wait for the drawing. In that regard, PA Lottery has the right idea with conducting more raffles, but going about it wrong - 2 months is still too long, and too many tickets being offered.

Florida offering 750,000 tickets seems insanely high considering the difficulty of other lotteries selling out. Though FL has a larger population, plus a huge influx of long-term visitors, which certainly helps verses PA, which has never sold more than 625,000 tickets (back in the early days; currently 500,000 is offered). Lottery raffles are old hat, and have lost their mojo.

I'd like to see a lottery offer a smaller raffle with a one month or less sales window, and aimed towards high rollers with a higher price point, but fewer tickets offered. For example, 50,000 - 100,000 tickets at $50, or even $100, each with an instant win component (via lottery website, as mentioned above, for security) and a drawing no later than 1 month out from launch of sales; raffle held 4 times or less per year to keep it "special", and maybe during off months when lottery sales are typically lower so as to not cannibalize sales of other games.

With all that said, raffles, while offering better odds than typical lottery games, are still very difficult to win much on. Unless sales fall severely short, as in under 50%, and one has a lot of money to gamble with and can afford to lose (ie. $20K for 1,000 tickets), it's best to play a few tickets at most, and hope for the best. Buying a dozen or more tickets will near certain lead to disappointment; disgruntled players cutting back on future raffles, which has led to many lotteries eventually restructuring / discontinuing their raffles.

NY State
                        United States
                        Member #92609
                        June 10, 2010
                        3817 Posts
                        Posted: November 16, 2015, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, G5, very interesting thread.   I agree with what you said about $20 being a big nut for a lot of people to pony up, certainly applies to Florida, too.  Thumbs Up

That being said, the Florida Lottery is throwing everything at this puppy to make it fly.  In addition to the grand prize drawing, there are five weekly drawings with one $10,000 top prize, and 200  $500 prizes.  Plus, there is a voucher attached to the raffle ticket that allows you to enter online to win one of 10 Playoff Bonus drawing prizes of two tickets to a college football playoff semifinal, including hotel accommodations and $500 cash.  I can't help but think that they are testing the waters for regular raffle drawings in the future.

I haven't got a ticket yet, but when I do, I'll post how many have been sold at that time.  I don't know if they'll do a ticket sales counter on their website like they did on at least a couple of raffles in the past.

Buddy, that Fla raffle keeps gettin' better every time I read about it!  I'm gonna tell my oldest brother to get me a few tix!  He lives near Tampa.  He and his wife are retired snowbirds, and they're coming back up here to New York for the Christmas holidays.

Thanks for your reply.  I'll keep my eye on this thread, especially now I might have a little skin in the game in the not so distant future.  G5

NY State
                          United States
                          Member #92609
                          June 10, 2010
                          3817 Posts
                          Posted: November 16, 2015, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

An instant win component (via separate entry through lottery website for security reasons; retailers can't be trusted) would help drive sales. For many players, the $20 price-point isn't the main issue, it's the long wait for the drawing. In that regard, PA Lottery has the right idea with conducting more raffles, but going about it wrong - 2 months is still too long, and too many tickets being offered.

Florida offering 750,000 tickets seems insanely high considering the difficulty of other lotteries selling out. Though FL has a larger population, plus a huge influx of long-term visitors, which certainly helps verses PA, which has never sold more than 625,000 tickets (back in the early days; currently 500,000 is offered). Lottery raffles are old hat, and have lost their mojo.

I'd like to see a lottery offer a smaller raffle with a one month or less sales window, and aimed towards high rollers with a higher price point, but fewer tickets offered. For example, 50,000 - 100,000 tickets at $50, or even $100, each with an instant win component (via lottery website, as mentioned above, for security) and a drawing no later than 1 month out from launch of sales; raffle held 4 times or less per year to keep it "special", and maybe during off months when lottery sales are typically lower so as to not cannibalize sales of other games.

With all that said, raffles, while offering better odds than typical lottery games, are still very difficult to win much on. Unless sales fall severely short, as in under 50%, and one has a lot of money to gamble with and can afford to lose (ie. $20K for 1,000 tickets), it's best to play a few tickets at most, and hope for the best. Buying a dozen or more tickets will near certain lead to disappointment; disgruntled players cutting back on future raffles, which has led to many lotteries eventually restructuring / discontinuing their raffles.

Once again Ron, you've nailed it. 

I absolutely love your suggestion regarding a smaller "high roller" raffle with $50/$100 tickets and a drawing in a month's time.  Count me in on any raffle like that. 

Agree too that they're still tough to win even with the lower odds.  I had seven tickets in PA's Halloween Millionaire Raffle, didn't win, although my brother gave me 20 bucks and asked me to get him a ticket when I bought mine.  He won a hundred bucks... Good thing he didn't win a mill.  He always was a tight wad, so if he had won a million, I don't know that he'd have sent any cash my way.....G5

NY State
                            United States
                            Member #92609
                            June 10, 2010
                            3817 Posts
                            Posted: November 16, 2015, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Hey Buddy!   Here's a tidbit that you might find interesting regarding The CT SuperDraw Raffle.  I forgot to mention it in my earlier post....

Some retired old geezer who lives in The Villages managed to sneak back down to Florida with the top prize of a million bucks in The New Years 2015 SuperDraw raffle.  (I'm an old geezer myself, so please don't take offense to my use of the term)

Yeah, I guess he was up here for the holidays visiting family and bought himself a ticket, and the rest is history.  I betcha The State of Connecticut just hates it when that happens! 

I figure I'll extract my revenge on The State of Florida by winnin' The FLA raffle.  G5

United States
                              Member #129928
                              July 1, 2012
                              111 Posts
                              Posted: November 16, 2015, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

LOL!   The Villages aren't too far from where I live...    Cool

Yes, turnabout is fair play!

Good Luck to Representative Teams playing in Golden South Regional ...

Page 1 of 14