Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 6:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Florida Lottery Holiday Millionaire Raffle

Topic closed. 199 replies. Last post 1 year ago by morgothaod.

Page 2 of 14
PrintE-mailLink
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
3822 Posts
Posted: November 16, 2015, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

LOL!   The Villages aren't too far from where I live...    Cool

Yes, turnabout is fair play!

Good Luck to Representative Teams playing in Golden South Regional ...

In all seriousness, it'll be interesting to see if the "last minute rush to buy tickets" phenomenon happens with The FLA Holiday Millionaire Raffle. 

I gotta believe it will.  I've talked to people about it, most people I know think it's due to the fact that people don't want to part with a twenty dollar bill until they absolutely have to.  Then there's that "Most of the top prize winners are sold very late in the sales cycle" theory, which might have something to do with it.

But as Ron said, it's the long wait until the drawing that's the issue.  IMHO, I think that has the most merit to it.  Who wants to buy a lottery ticket and then have to wait two months for the drawing?  Ticket sales for online games drawn twice a week here in NY are heaviest on the day of the drawing.  Sure, people do buy tickets a few days ahead of a drawing, but not like they do on the day of the drawing.  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Naples, Florida
    United States
    Member #136981
    December 23, 2012
    43 Posts
    Posted: November 17, 2015, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

I bought a ticket on this past Sunday when sales first started, at the time there were about 2,000 or so tickets sold according to my number. I plan on buying one ticket a week for a total of six or seven tickets max. Hopefully I win this time, didn't win anything at all in 2012, though I only bought one ticket for that one; I refuse to buy more than one ticket a week though lol.

Sum Buddy's avatar - AVATAR1 zps193xol4h.jpg

United States
      Member #129928
      July 1, 2012
      111 Posts
      Posted: November 17, 2015, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

In all seriousness, it'll be interesting to see if the "last minute rush to buy tickets" phenomenon happens with The FLA Holiday Millionaire Raffle. 

I gotta believe it will.  I've talked to people about it, most people I know think it's due to the fact that people don't want to part with a twenty dollar bill until they absolutely have to.  Then there's that "Most of the top prize winners are sold very late in the sales cycle" theory, which might have something to do with it.

But as Ron said, it's the long wait until the drawing that's the issue.  IMHO, I think that has the most merit to it.  Who wants to buy a lottery ticket and then have to wait two months for the drawing?  Ticket sales for online games drawn twice a week here in NY are heaviest on the day of the drawing.  Sure, people do buy tickets a few days ahead of a drawing, but not like they do on the day of the drawing.  G5

You don't have to wait two months for a drawing, the most you would wait is about a week, for the weekly draw for the $10,000 and $500 prizes.  If you just buy one ticket at the beginning of the raffle (on or before Nov. 23,) you'll have a shot at all the weekly drawings, plus the grand prize drawing.

Oops, my bad.  You have to buy a ticket the week before the weekly drawing is held to be entered in that drawing.  Meaning, you would have to buy 5 tickets in order to be entered in every weekly draw.

United States
        Member #129928
        July 1, 2012
        111 Posts
        Posted: November 17, 2015, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

I bought a ticket on this past Sunday when sales first started, at the time there were about 2,000 or so tickets sold according to my number. I plan on buying one ticket a week for a total of six or seven tickets max. Hopefully I win this time, didn't win anything at all in 2012, though I only bought one ticket for that one; I refuse to buy more than one ticket a week though lol.

Yeah, I'm not sure how many I'll buy.  I do want to get one before the first weekly drawing on Nov. 24th.

NY State
          United States
          Member #92609
          June 10, 2010
          3822 Posts
          Posted: November 17, 2015, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

You don't have to wait two months for a drawing, the most you would wait is about a week, for the weekly draw for the $10,000 and $500 prizes.  If you just buy one ticket at the beginning of the raffle (on or before Nov. 23,) you'll have a shot at all the weekly drawings, plus the grand prize drawing.

Oops, my bad.  You have to buy a ticket the week before the weekly drawing is held to be entered in that drawing.  Meaning, you would have to buy 5 tickets in order to be entered in every weekly draw.

I guess The Florida Lottery is trying to provide players with an incentive to buy early, which is the biggest difference between The Pennsylvania Millionaire Raffle and The Florida Raffle.  There's only one drawing in PA, and it's for all the marbles.  So if you buy a ticket today in PA, ya gotta hang on to it until January 2nd. (Unless you sell it or give it away)

That last minute rush to buy tickets must be because people just don't want to have to hang on to a ticket for an extended period of time waiting for a drawing.  That, and they don't want to cough up a tough nut like 20 bucks until they absolutely have to.   

Do you know that I sent an email to my brother in Tampa yesterday asking him to buy me two Florida Raffle tickets, and he hasn't answered it?????  And I think I know why too!  When I did our other brother a favor and bought him a ticket for the 10/31/15 PA raffle, (he won $100) my brother in Tampa told me I was nuts for doing it! He said to me "If you're that upset that our tight fisted brother won a hundred bucks, imagine how you'd feel if he had won a million!"   So I get it.  He aint gonna take any chances with me winning a million bucks by him buying me a couple of Florida Raffle tickets!!!  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
            Member #129928
            July 1, 2012
            111 Posts
            Posted: November 18, 2015, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Just bought my first ticket, sales are at 19,300.  So day four, sales are pretty slow.  If this raffle sells out, the average number of tickets sold per day would be 20,833.  Of course, I would expect a bump in sales volume on the weekend, especially Saturday.  If sales volume remains low through the 23rd, that means better odds of winning a prize in the first weekly drawing.

United States
              Member #129928
              July 1, 2012
              111 Posts
              Posted: November 18, 2015, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

Just bought my first ticket, sales are at 19,300.  So day four, sales are pretty slow.  If this raffle sells out, the average number of tickets sold per day would be 20,833.  Of course, I would expect a bump in sales volume on the weekend, especially Saturday.  If sales volume remains low through the 23rd, that means better odds of winning a prize in the first weekly drawing.

Dang, my bad again!  It should read "If this raffle sells out, the average number of tickets sold per day would be 16,300." 

Wyomissing, PA
                United States
                Member #161050
                November 15, 2014
                301 Posts
                Posted: November 18, 2015, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

Additional incentive weekly drawings probably help a bit, but for many players, including myself, that's not overly appealing, since it still involves a delay. Also, a player seeking to spend $20 is mainly interested in hitting a big prize. However, an instant win (via entering code / scanning barcode on lottery website for security reasons) with odds of say 1 in 100 to win $100 instantly for a $20 raffle would be a strong incentive to buy tickets sooner and frequently.

Lotteries would do better to be a bit more generous than not selling out. There's plenty of headroom for additional payouts, since most lottery raffles have overall payouts in the 50% range. Using my example above, 1 in 100 to win $100 instantly would only add 5% to the overall payout leaving plenty of margin for the lottery.

For FL raffle, doing so would add $750,000 cost, which seems a lot, but translates to 37,500 tickets, which is a relatively small fraction. PA raffle would have done far better with showing a count down of tickets remaining / sold from the getgo and having an instant win component, but for some reason, lotteries don't listen to the players and/or believe they know what's best. Not to say instant win is the end all be all for selling raffle tickets, because there are other important considerations, in particular, number of tickets offered, prize structure, and time horizon to the drawing.

As for buying tickets for gifts, I've long felt lotteries promote this wrong. Ideal gift tickets are those with top payouts of $5,000 or less (many $1 tickets fall into this category and are widely available everyday). Less disappointment for the gift giver. Hearing the recipient won $100K, or even a $1 million on a raffle or $5+ instant, would be very upsetting to many. Personally, I rarely give out lottery tickets as gifts, but when I do, it's $1 instant tickets only with low top payouts.

Buying tickets for others is always risky, because if they win the big one, who really owns the rights to the winnings... The person who eventually ends up with the ticket, the original purchaser, or both... Can lead to a long nasty court battle. Best to buy one's own tickets whenever possible unless one is intending (or at minimum, prepared to, if forced) to split the winnings with the buyer. Shame what money does to people, but then one's survival, in developed societies, depends on money; greed is an inherent survival trait that can disrupt even the best of relationships.

G5- if it's feasible, take the drive to FL yourself. Nice scenic route, which adds a little extra distance, but not that much more time, is down I81 to I77 and over to I26 to then meet up with I95 in SC. Bypasses the Baltimore and DC beltways completely. Do some sightseeing, etc while there, and buy the tickets personally. Good luck :)

NY State
                  United States
                  Member #92609
                  June 10, 2010
                  3822 Posts
                  Posted: November 18, 2015, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

Additional incentive weekly drawings probably help a bit, but for many players, including myself, that's not overly appealing, since it still involves a delay. Also, a player seeking to spend $20 is mainly interested in hitting a big prize. However, an instant win (via entering code / scanning barcode on lottery website for security reasons) with odds of say 1 in 100 to win $100 instantly for a $20 raffle would be a strong incentive to buy tickets sooner and frequently.

Lotteries would do better to be a bit more generous than not selling out. There's plenty of headroom for additional payouts, since most lottery raffles have overall payouts in the 50% range. Using my example above, 1 in 100 to win $100 instantly would only add 5% to the overall payout leaving plenty of margin for the lottery.

For FL raffle, doing so would add $750,000 cost, which seems a lot, but translates to 37,500 tickets, which is a relatively small fraction. PA raffle would have done far better with showing a count down of tickets remaining / sold from the getgo and having an instant win component, but for some reason, lotteries don't listen to the players and/or believe they know what's best. Not to say instant win is the end all be all for selling raffle tickets, because there are other important considerations, in particular, number of tickets offered, prize structure, and time horizon to the drawing.

As for buying tickets for gifts, I've long felt lotteries promote this wrong. Ideal gift tickets are those with top payouts of $5,000 or less (many $1 tickets fall into this category and are widely available everyday). Less disappointment for the gift giver. Hearing the recipient won $100K, or even a $1 million on a raffle or $5+ instant, would be very upsetting to many. Personally, I rarely give out lottery tickets as gifts, but when I do, it's $1 instant tickets only with low top payouts.

Buying tickets for others is always risky, because if they win the big one, who really owns the rights to the winnings... The person who eventually ends up with the ticket, the original purchaser, or both... Can lead to a long nasty court battle. Best to buy one's own tickets whenever possible unless one is intending (or at minimum, prepared to, if forced) to split the winnings with the buyer. Shame what money does to people, but then one's survival, in developed societies, depends on money; greed is an inherent survival trait that can disrupt even the best of relationships.

G5- if it's feasible, take the drive to FL yourself. Nice scenic route, which adds a little extra distance, but not that much more time, is down I81 to I77 and over to I26 to then meet up with I95 in SC. Bypasses the Baltimore and DC beltways completely. Do some sightseeing, etc while there, and buy the tickets personally. Good luck :)

Ron, you couldn't be more correct if you had to be.  Yes, money can do strange things to people, especially large sums of it.  I saw it happen in my own family when I was The Executor of my late mothers estate.  I never ever thought money could or would come between any of my family members, but it did.  The lawyer for my mother's estate said he "was not surprised at what went on."  He said he'd seen that type of thing "many times."

As for driving to Florida, well, it isn't feasible for this particular raffle.  So if I want to be in it, I'm stuck with having my brother buy me a couple  of tickets.  (That's IF he'll do it!) 

Not to quibble, but I'd go slightly differently than your suggested route.  I'd take I81 and exit at Winchester Va onto I66 east to Virginia 17 and take it to I95.  That skips The Beltways too.  My wife and I went to North Carolina last March and we took that route.  (My parents were "snowbirds" in their retirement, and drove back and forth from New York to Sarasota Florida for many years. My father always swore by that route as he absolutely hated driving on The Beltways.)  Virginia 17 is a nice road, 4 lanes in many places, and it puts you on I95 in Fredricksburg Va.  But I'm sure the route you suggested is equally easy/nice! I may even give a try some time - Thanks!  G5

NY State
                    United States
                    Member #92609
                    June 10, 2010
                    3822 Posts
                    Posted: November 18, 2015, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the numbers update Buddy!  G5

United States
                      Member #129928
                      July 1, 2012
                      111 Posts
                      Posted: November 18, 2015, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

Not only will the grand prize drawing on Dec 31st pick 7 new millionaires, it will also give away (15) $50,000 prizes, (25) $5,000 prizes, and (500) $500 prizes. Combined with the prize money given out for the weekly draws (but not counting the $500 each for the 10 winners of the Football drawing) I believe that brings the prize payout to 58% of the total pool, if all tickets are sold. (I certainly hope my math is correct this time!)  Ponder

I mean, odds of 1: 107,143 of winning a million dollars? No draw games or scratch-offs even come close! Odds of 1:50,000 of winning $50,000? The odds of winning $50, 000 on a $3 scratch-off range from 1:756,000, to 1: 2,147,483.

But I hear what you're saying, Ron. I've gone to the annual reports page on the Florida Lottery website. Each yearly report has some form of graph showing what games are bringing in what % of the revenue. It was easy to see that when MUSL were added, Florida Lotto lost market share big time. But very striking was the almost exponential rise in scratch-off games in the past few years. So when the Lottery brags about record-breaking quarters, or years, it's the scratch-offs. I can see a lot of people are looking for that rush of an instant win.  And there are games that already offer that.

I think that not only is FL Lottery testing the waters for future raffles, they're trying to attract a different type of player. Raffle players. I think in some people's minds, a raffle is not 'gambling.'

But the Raffle can attract another type of player, the odds player. I consider $20 per ticket a fair buy-in to a game with very attractive odds indeed. And I don't mind waiting...

Jacksonville
                        United States
                        Member #153806
                        March 26, 2014
                        363 Posts
                        Posted: November 18, 2015, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Not only will the grand prize drawing on Dec 31st pick 7 new millionaires, it will also give away (15) $50,000 prizes, (25) $5,000 prizes, and (500) $500 prizes. Combined with the prize money given out for the weekly draws (but not counting the $500 each for the 10 winners of the Football drawing) I believe that brings the prize payout to 58% of the total pool, if all tickets are sold. (I certainly hope my math is correct this time!)  Ponder

I mean, odds of 1: 107,143 of winning a million dollars? No draw games or scratch-offs even come close! Odds of 1:50,000 of winning $50,000? The odds of winning $50, 000 on a $3 scratch-off range from 1:756,000, to 1: 2,147,483.

But I hear what you're saying, Ron. I've gone to the annual reports page on the Florida Lottery website. Each yearly report has some form of graph showing what games are bringing in what % of the revenue. It was easy to see that when MUSL were added, Florida Lotto lost market share big time. But very striking was the almost exponential rise in scratch-off games in the past few years. So when the Lottery brags about record-breaking quarters, or years, it's the scratch-offs. I can see a lot of people are looking for that rush of an instant win.  And there are games that already offer that.

I think that not only is FL Lottery testing the waters for future raffles, they're trying to attract a different type of player. Raffle players. I think in some people's minds, a raffle is not 'gambling.'

But the Raffle can attract another type of player, the odds player. I consider $20 per ticket a fair buy-in to a game with very attractive odds indeed. And I don't mind waiting...

Florida has actually done raffles in the past.  They stopped for a few years because their last 2 raffles (before this one) were actually busts.  One of them actually resulted in a financial loss to the Florida lottery (only about 2/3 of tickets sold and they were giving away scratch-off tickets and t-shirts to boost sales near the drawing date).  I think that is why they waited a few years to have another one. 

I do agree that the odds for a $1M prize cannot be beat.  There may not be any real small prizes like the scratch-offs, but the odds beat PB or MM and the scratch-offs.

NY State
                          United States
                          Member #92609
                          June 10, 2010
                          3822 Posts
                          Posted: November 19, 2015, 6:14 am - IP Logged

I'm a raffle (an "odds player") player, through and through, any raffle anywhere catches my eye.

I would think The State of New York would see the light regarding raffles, but for whatever reason they're blind to it.  They've got two border states that have been successfully running raffles (Pennsylvania and Connecticut, although Ct has not offered a New Years 2016 raffle this Fall) yet they offer nothing to players in New York.

On their website, The New York Lottery touts the fact that they "are the largest lottery in North America". I would guess that just like Florida, scratch offs garner the lion's share of the revenue too.

And Buddy, I couldn't care less if your math is correct this time or not!  Regardless of your computational skills, The Florida Holiday Millionaire Raffle is the best raffle I've ever seen! Now if I could just get that brother of mine in Tampa to answer my email!  G5

NY State
                            United States
                            Member #92609
                            June 10, 2010
                            3822 Posts
                            Posted: November 19, 2015, 6:29 am - IP Logged

Just an after thought to my post above..

When I first started playing Connecticut's SuperDraw raffle, I drove over to Danbury to buy the tickets for the pool I run at work.  It was mid-December, and a few days prior, there had been a huge Mega Millions drawing. I think the jackpot had gotten up to about 500 million or so.

At any rate, I found a gas station that sold lottery tickets, and I told the elderly woman behind the counter that I wanted eight SuperDraw tickets.  She smiled and "warned" me that would cost me $160.  I smiled back at her, thanked her, and said that I was aware of that, and that these were my office pool tickets.  She then said "Wow!  That's a great idea! At least you have a decent chance of winning this raffle. Those people that came in here and bought $160 worth of Mega Millions tickets last week were out of their GD minds!" 

I'd bet that she was every bit of 80 years old, but she knew her stuff.  The sad part is she was probably selling those Mega tickets to many people her own age.  Ever notice that?  I've seen many senior citizens buying lottery tickets.  Even the "Winners Stories" section of The NY Lottery's website has more pictures of seniors holding the big check than they have pictures of younger players.  G5

Arcadia,Florida
                              United States
                              Member #160972
                              November 13, 2014
                              4 Posts
                              Posted: November 19, 2015, 8:41 am - IP Logged

I think that has to do more with disposable income ... lets say a 20 year old and a senior both have 100 dollars of "play" money each month -- lets look at recreational venues for that 100 -- movies,video games,concerts,amusement venues ( disney etc) sporting events,outdoor activities ( fishing trips etc) and lottery.If one is young and full of fire and spit those things that take more physical stamina are appealing along with the pop culture of the latest Xbox release or even "date night" type stuff .... I am older and disabled and do you know why I play the lottery? For that chance to " help out" the folks I care about before I cash out in this life .. the kids the grandkids the friends that stuck with me through tough times were I to hit the big one the vast majority of the winnings would go to them

Page 2 of 14