Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why are American lotteries rigged?

Topic closed. 168 replies. Last post 4 months ago by GatorShea.

Page 2 of 12
PrintE-mailLink
rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
Texas
United States
Member #55889
October 23, 2007
5611 Posts
Posted: June 28, 2016, 9:41 am - IP Logged

And thats your opinion and I have mine.....Live with it its called freedom of speech

It's just amazing that people will create an account on a website dedicated to lotteries, and start spouting about a game with odds of 1 in 258 million or 1 in 292 million, (just think about those numbers for a minute) being rigged. It simply shows that there is a complete lack of understanding of the odds and how many combinations those game consist of. Every draw they sell a fraction of those combinations. A fraction. It's no surprise we are going to see long runs.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10353 Posts
    Posted: June 28, 2016, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Looks like we have another "I didn't win it therefore it must be rigged" poster.

Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
      Nova Scotia
      Canada
      Member #9934
      December 27, 2004
      884 Posts
      Posted: June 28, 2016, 10:19 am - IP Logged

I play the Canadian lottery, i haven't been winning much lately, but do not want to get discouraged!

Ricklou's avatar - majestic lion.jpg

South Africa
        Member #129822
        June 28, 2012
        363 Posts
        Posted: June 28, 2016, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Looks like we have another "I didn't win it therefore it must be rigged" poster.

Bang Head

In the contrary no........simply following valid stats

NYC
          United States
          Member #161115
          November 17, 2014
          126 Posts
          Posted: June 28, 2016, 10:37 am - IP Logged

If the lottery is rigged then a lot of people would have to be in on it including the IRS. They would also have to pay off the winners a good amount to keep quiet.

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
            Member #106923
            February 27, 2011
            478 Posts
            Posted: June 28, 2016, 10:42 am - IP Logged

I have been noticing American lotteries being rigged Your Mega Millions and Powerball as if you compare the Amount of jackpot winners with Australian or England lotteries you will see much more jackpot winners last Australian lotto 14 people have won a jackpot sharing a jackpot.Its sad to know you spend money on a lottery thats openly rigged i am sure allot of folks will feel the same.As if the odds are not already astronomically high the officials have their hands in the cookie jars.Shame on you American and African lotteries.My own countrys lotteries are also rigged and the Americans seems too openly rigged....sad for all us lottery players

Current Australia Powerball lottery jackpot: $3,000,000 AUD (appx: $2.2 million USD).  Odds 1:76,767,600. 

Recent jackpot wins:

June 23 TY; $3 million - 1 winner

June 16 TY; $6 million - 2 winners

June 02 TY; $6 million - 1 winner

Winners and jackpots patterned accordingly, with occasional abnormalities.  I do not see 14 people recently sharing a single jackpot in the Australian Powerball lotto.  If indeed this were to happen each would receive approximately $428,000 AUD based on a $6 million jackpot and $214,000 based on a $3 million jackpot.  Though a nice sum, not a massive amount.  Yes, there are many more winners, however YES, the odds are approximately four times less than the US Powerball, and the jackpots are considerably lower. 

Is the US Powerball rigged?  No.  Is the US lottery manipulated?  Yes, through odds creation and payout determination, as ALL lotteries are.  The house always wins at the end of the day, for this is required for the house to exist.

If you were to research the US Powerball sales stats you would see on 06/25 TY Powerball sales were $38,946,942 (non-inclusive Powerplay which does not change odds of winning).  Since this is sales and not actual tickets sold divide the sales figure by 2 ($2 per ticket) for a total of 19,473,471 tickets sold.  With odds of 292,201,338 and only 19,473,471 tickets sold there were 272,727,867 chances of a jackpot ticket not being sold, or a 93% chance of NO WINNER.   This is the reason for lack of lottery jackpot winners; odds and ticket sales.  Not lotteries being rigged.  With such odds rigging is not required.

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

South Africa
              Member #129822
              June 28, 2012
              363 Posts
              Posted: June 28, 2016, 10:53 am - IP Logged

Current Australia Powerball lottery jackpot: $3,000,000 AUD (appx: $2.2 million USD).  Odds 1:76,767,600. 

Recent jackpot wins:

June 23 TY; $3 million - 1 winner

June 16 TY; $6 million - 2 winners

June 02 TY; $6 million - 1 winner

Winners and jackpots patterned accordingly, with occasional abnormalities.  I do not see 14 people recently sharing a single jackpot in the Australian Powerball lotto.  If indeed this were to happen each would receive approximately $428,000 AUD based on a $6 million jackpot and $214,000 based on a $3 million jackpot.  Though a nice sum, not a massive amount.  Yes, there are many more winners, however YES, the odds are approximately four times less than the US Powerball, and the jackpots are considerably lower. 

Is the US Powerball rigged?  No.  Is the US lottery manipulated?  Yes, through odds creation and payout determination, as ALL lotteries are.  The house always wins at the end of the day, for this is required for the house to exist.

If you were to research the US Powerball sales stats you would see on 06/25 TY Powerball sales were $38,946,942 (non-inclusive Powerplay which does not change odds of winning).  Since this is sales and not actual tickets sold divide the sales figure by 2 ($2 per ticket) for a total of 19,473,471 tickets sold.  With odds of 292,201,338 and only 19,473,471 tickets sold there were 272,727,867 chances of a jackpot ticket not being sold, or a 93% chance of NO WINNER.   This is the reason for lack of lottery jackpot winners; odds and ticket sales.  Not lotteries being rigged.  With such odds rigging is not required.

Had an Australian friend giving me that info will go find out where he got that info. True perhaps much higher odds but what I do like is to see 3 wins in a month as per your example. Wont that motivate you to play ? Just a fair question. Every draw on MM or PB its like numbers specifically chosen not to win. Ramping up sales. Anyway all what I say its nice to play a lottery where you see jackpots being won. To have a lottery running for 2 -3 months no winner is demoting to any player.We can salute the Ausies of at least giving a "picture" of a winnable lottery. We cant say that from a few lotteries world wide sadly as they have "fixed patterns"

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
                Member #153629
                March 20, 2014
                129 Posts
                Posted: June 28, 2016, 11:02 am - IP Logged

Had an Australian friend giving me that info will go find out where he got that info. True perhaps much higher odds but what I do like is to see 3 wins in a month as per your example. Wont that motivate you to play ? Just a fair question. Every draw on MM or PB its like numbers specifically chosen not to win. Ramping up sales. Anyway all what I say its nice to play a lottery where you see jackpots being won. To have a lottery running for 2 -3 months no winner is demoting to any player.We can salute the Ausies of at least giving a "picture" of a winnable lottery. We cant say that from a few lotteries world wide sadly as they have "fixed patterns"

Or you cant just check draw history on ozlotteries . com or tatts . com  (official australia lottery site)

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 14,45%

South Africa
                  Member #129822
                  June 28, 2012
                  363 Posts
                  Posted: June 28, 2016, 11:11 am - IP Logged

Or you cant just check draw history on ozlotteries . com or tatts . com  (official australia lottery site)

Saw your stats thanks for your posts bigbuckswede......yeah I will go google and check myself.He posted this morning that there was recently 14 winners. We had about 8 years ago 29 people sharing a Jackpot in South-Africa -that was in the good old days as a new operator and they are more money hungry etc.......We normally see 1 person winning a jackpot if we lucky every 2 months.Heck that can still work even if you see a single winner in a month. I do understand the matrix changes is possibly responsible for that though. Not being blind but the frequency of winners is extremely low in your main games

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                    Member #106923
                    February 27, 2011
                    478 Posts
                    Posted: June 28, 2016, 11:13 am - IP Logged

Many play for the higher jackpot amounts.  I personally rarely play the lower odd games, even though the chance to win is greater, because of the lower prize amounts.  Do not misunderstand, I certainly wouldn't mind a $2.2 million US win, however I limit my gambling funds therefore choose to play for a higher risk versus reward.  As such, if the ability to choose between the OZ Powerball or the US Powerball, I opt for the US version.  Also, many States have their own individual lotto games similar in odds and prize amount to the Australia game.

As for "Every draw on MM or PB its like numbers specifically chosen not to win"... "Ramping up sales".  The sales ramping occurs due to the manipulation, not rigging.  It is estimated to occur based on the odds and pattern of ticket sales.  Could numbers be chosen not to win?  No, because that would require a computerized system be used to select winning numbers (random number generator, or if rigged just a number generator).  Fortunately MegaMillions and Powerball, at least in the US, uses balls to select winning numbers.  The long run without winners is due to the extreme odds.  There are approximately 242.5 million adults living in the US.  That number is less than the odds of winning the Powerball.  Hence, if every adult in the US had a unique ticket for the drawing there would still be 50,000,000 possibilities no one would win, and all by design as to function.

I'm feeling a jackpot win coming my way!

South Africa
                      Member #129822
                      June 28, 2012
                      363 Posts
                      Posted: June 28, 2016, 11:33 am - IP Logged

Many play for the higher jackpot amounts.  I personally rarely play the lower odd games, even though the chance to win is greater, because of the lower prize amounts.  Do not misunderstand, I certainly wouldn't mind a $2.2 million US win, however I limit my gambling funds therefore choose to play for a higher risk versus reward.  As such, if the ability to choose between the OZ Powerball or the US Powerball, I opt for the US version.  Also, many States have their own individual lotto games similar in odds and prize amount to the Australia game.

As for "Every draw on MM or PB its like numbers specifically chosen not to win"... "Ramping up sales".  The sales ramping occurs due to the manipulation, not rigging.  It is estimated to occur based on the odds and pattern of ticket sales.  Could numbers be chosen not to win?  No, because that would require a computerized system be used to select winning numbers (random number generator, or if rigged just a number generator).  Fortunately MegaMillions and Powerball, at least in the US, uses balls to select winning numbers.  The long run without winners is due to the extreme odds.  There are approximately 242.5 million adults living in the US.  That number is less than the odds of winning the Powerball.  Hence, if every adult in the US had a unique ticket for the drawing there would still be 50,000,000 possibilities no one would win, and all by design as to function.

Ok he was correct 14 jackpot winners.

https://thelott.com/tattersalls/results/last-10-results

South Africa
                        Member #129822
                        June 28, 2012
                        363 Posts
                        Posted: June 28, 2016, 11:51 am - IP Logged

Good point !!!! Yes I am sure everyone will have their own views on "rigging" and "manipulation" and we can debate this for hours on end. In my case I would prefer to play a smaller lottery with constant wins than a mega lottery having 1 win in 2-3 months.

Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #175608
                          June 25, 2016
                          32 Posts
                          Posted: June 28, 2016, 11:59 am - IP Logged

There's a good point that was mentioned earlier... "With the odds being what they are, there's no need in rigging the lotto... I totally agree with that. It's so easy to get discouraged each time none of my numbers hit... But then when I remind myself of the amount of possible combinations and then the odds... There's really not much else I can say other than I'm guilty of getting my hopes set a little high here and there. 

I do do feel the same as others here... For some reason I feel confident I can win a decent sized jackpot. I guess that's why I keep it up when I can. For me personally I have to slow myself down at times and not play so often.

bigbuckswede's avatar - Riksbanken 2010000.jpeg

Sweden
                            Member #153629
                            March 20, 2014
                            129 Posts
                            Posted: June 28, 2016, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

The  only sane way to think is that most lotteries offer a really low chance of win than other, some lower than others. So I always play using a cost/prob ratio with current jackpots. Aus lotteries is always good to play. I have an easy way to calculate:
                            Ratio = (prob/cash)*cost of ticket per line
                            MM (258/265)*$2 = 1,94
                            the lower the ratio the better to play, not scientifc at all just my own way to keep track of what to play and when. I play many online lotteries and aus lotteries always rank top to play, due to low ticket prizes

Return of Investment, ROI 2014 20% | ROI 2015 20% | ROI 2016 14,45%

Canada
                              Member #154380
                              April 14, 2014
                              57 Posts
                              Posted: June 28, 2016, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

The  only sane way to think is that most lotteries offer a really low chance of win than other, some lower than others. So I always play using a cost/prob ratio with current jackpots. Aus lotteries is always good to play. I have an easy way to calculate:
                              Ratio = (prob/cash)*cost of ticket per line
                              MM (258/265)*$2 = 1,94
                              the lower the ratio the better to play, not scientifc at all just my own way to keep track of what to play and when. I play many online lotteries and aus lotteries always rank top to play, due to low ticket prizes

There is a mistake in your formula. The cost of a Mega Millions ticket is $1.

Page 2 of 12