Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's with NY Sweet Million??

Topic closed. 516 replies. Last post 5 years ago by kapla.

Page 17 of 35
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #94230
July 16, 2010
14 Posts
Posted: November 9, 2010, 1:31 am - IP Logged

I think for some New Yorkers the habit of buying $1 Powerball without Powerplay per line is inherited from buying $1 Mega Millions per line. Until now, New York Lottery still does not offer multiplier for Mega Millions (Megaplier) in New York. Therefore, some people who are used to playing Mega Millions may think that Powerball works the same, and just don't have the habit to pay $1 more for Powerplay. As some of you said, they may not have noticed that if you play Powerplay and you win 5 white balls without red ball, you always get X5 for that particular prize and get $1M rather than $400,000 to $1M depending on the multiplier chosen if this policy does not exist.

It can be reflected from the fact that Powerplay option ($2 per line) is chosen for only less than 10% of sales. For example, in the Powerball drawing for Nov 6, where $123m jackpot was won in Michigan, there was $3,285,518 Powerball sales, in which only 6% ($196,649) of sales was with Powerplay option. In other drawings, the ratio of Powerplay:Total Powerball sales is consistently lower than 10% in New York State. While in North Carolina, where both Powerplay and Megaplier has been offered for both games, the sales of Powerplay is higher when it is compared to Total Powerball sales, the figure is consistenly over 25%.

Just google The Lotto Report to see more about sales of PB and MM. It is a website from a Texas man in which you can even see whether states are having a loss or a gain in a total sense for a particular drawing for Powerplay or Megaplier.

From a micro psychology view, maybe it is easier for $1 tickets to be sold because it is cheaper. When you are buying $10 Powerball without Powerplay, there are 10 lines. However, if you use $10 to buy Powerball with Powerplay, there are only 5 lines.

Anyway, Powerplay does not increase the probability of winning the jackpot, nor the jackpot prize size. This is partly compensated by automatically multipying 5 times for second tier prizes. However, I would definitely choose Sweet Million to play if I want to win $1 million becasue I am using $1 to win a million with odds of 1 in 3,838,380, better than using $2 to win the same amount in Powerball with odds of 1:5,138,133. If you just used $1, you would lose $800,000 in Powerball if you really won.

United States
    Member #171
    April 7, 2002
    181 Posts
    Posted: November 9, 2010, 2:53 am - IP Logged

I think for some New Yorkers the habit of buying $1 Powerball without Powerplay per line is inherited from buying $1 Mega Millions per line. Until now, New York Lottery still does not offer multiplier for Mega Millions (Megaplier) in New York. Therefore, some people who are used to playing Mega Millions may think that Powerball works the same, and just don't have the habit to pay $1 more for Powerplay. As some of you said, they may not have noticed that if you play Powerplay and you win 5 white balls without red ball, you always get X5 for that particular prize and get $1M rather than $400,000 to $1M depending on the multiplier chosen if this policy does not exist.

It can be reflected from the fact that Powerplay option ($2 per line) is chosen for only less than 10% of sales. For example, in the Powerball drawing for Nov 6, where $123m jackpot was won in Michigan, there was $3,285,518 Powerball sales, in which only 6% ($196,649) of sales was with Powerplay option. In other drawings, the ratio of Powerplay:Total Powerball sales is consistently lower than 10% in New York State. While in North Carolina, where both Powerplay and Megaplier has been offered for both games, the sales of Powerplay is higher when it is compared to Total Powerball sales, the figure is consistenly over 25%.

Just google The Lotto Report to see more about sales of PB and MM. It is a website from a Texas man in which you can even see whether states are having a loss or a gain in a total sense for a particular drawing for Powerplay or Megaplier.

From a micro psychology view, maybe it is easier for $1 tickets to be sold because it is cheaper. When you are buying $10 Powerball without Powerplay, there are 10 lines. However, if you use $10 to buy Powerball with Powerplay, there are only 5 lines.

Anyway, Powerplay does not increase the probability of winning the jackpot, nor the jackpot prize size. This is partly compensated by automatically multipying 5 times for second tier prizes. However, I would definitely choose Sweet Million to play if I want to win $1 million becasue I am using $1 to win a million with odds of 1 in 3,838,380, better than using $2 to win the same amount in Powerball with odds of 1:5,138,133. If you just used $1, you would lose $800,000 in Powerball if you really won.

Thanks for your post, very interesing info.......

United States
      Member #171
      April 7, 2002
      181 Posts
      Posted: November 9, 2010, 3:00 am - IP Logged

I took your advice Jacal.

I picked these numbers for tonites SM drawing:

6 16 18 29 33 35

I read your post about buying the power play when playing PB.  I went to the PB website and I see that with  some digging, one can determine whether or not the second place winner bought the power play. Do you know if there is a page where that info appears all on one page? I'm too lazy to check state by state.

Is this the page you wanted?

(I'm glad you shelled out a buck for SM, lol)

November 6, 2010 POWERBALL WINNING
      NUMBERS: 7 12 23 34 38 + POWER BALL (33)
      POWER PLAY  x4

1 WINNERS OF $128,600,000 JACKPOT.
      (TICKETS SOLD IN:  MI)

10 SECOND-PRIZE WINNERS OF $200,000.
      (TICKETS SOLD IN:  AZ, DC, FL, IN, MO, NY, SC, VA)

New York
      Winners
      Prize
      Level
      Numbers MatchedPrize
      Amount
      0First5 of 5 + Powerball$0.00
      1Second5 of 5$200,000.00
      Winning Counties: Kings(QP)

Retailer Locations:

• TOP ONE DELI & GROCERY, 263 WYCKOFF AVE, BROOKLYN
      8Third4 of 5 + Powerball$10,000.00
      202Fourth4 of 5$100.00
      256Fifth3 of 5 + Powerball$100.00
      9,675Sixth3 of 5$7.00
      4,395Seventh2 of 5 + Powerball$7.00
      25,433Eighth1 of 5 + Powerball$4.00
      48,965NinthPowerball Only$3.00

Inorder to participate in Power Play you have to pay an additional $1.00by playing Power Play at the time of your Powerball wager.

Power Play for November 6, 2010 is x4

1 SECOND-PRIZE WINNERS OF $1,000,000.
      (TICKETS SOLD IN:  SC)

New York
      Winners
      Prize
      Level
      Numbers MatchedPrize
      Amount
      0Second5 of 5$ 1,000,000.00
      1Third4 of 5 + Powerball$40,000.00
      13Fourth4 of 5$400.00
      10Fifth3 of 5 + Powerball$400.00
      655Sixth3 of 5$28.00
      288Seventh2 of 5 + Powerball$28.00
      1,599Eighth1 of 5 + Powerball$16.00
      2,939NinthPowerball Only$12.00
        GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
        NY State
        United States
        Member #92609
        June 10, 2010
        3707 Posts
        Posted: November 9, 2010, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Is this the page you wanted?

(I'm glad you shelled out a buck for SM, lol)

November 6, 2010 POWERBALL WINNING
        NUMBERS: 7 12 23 34 38 + POWER BALL (33)
        POWER PLAY  x4

1 WINNERS OF $128,600,000 JACKPOT.
        (TICKETS SOLD IN:  MI)

10 SECOND-PRIZE WINNERS OF $200,000.
        (TICKETS SOLD IN:  AZ, DC, FL, IN, MO, NY, SC, VA)

New York
        Winners
        Prize
        Level
        Numbers MatchedPrize
        Amount
        0First5 of 5 + Powerball$0.00
        1Second5 of 5$200,000.00
        Winning Counties: Kings(QP)

Retailer Locations:

• TOP ONE DELI & GROCERY, 263 WYCKOFF AVE, BROOKLYN
        8Third4 of 5 + Powerball$10,000.00
        202Fourth4 of 5$100.00
        256Fifth3 of 5 + Powerball$100.00
        9,675Sixth3 of 5$7.00
        4,395Seventh2 of 5 + Powerball$7.00
        25,433Eighth1 of 5 + Powerball$4.00
        48,965NinthPowerball Only$3.00

Inorder to participate in Power Play you have to pay an additional $1.00by playing Power Play at the time of your Powerball wager.

Power Play for November 6, 2010 is x4

1 SECOND-PRIZE WINNERS OF $1,000,000.
        (TICKETS SOLD IN:  SC)

New York
        Winners
        Prize
        Level
        Numbers MatchedPrize
        Amount
        0Second5 of 5$ 1,000,000.00
        1Third4 of 5 + Powerball$40,000.00
        13Fourth4 of 5$400.00
        10Fifth3 of 5 + Powerball$400.00
        655Sixth3 of 5$28.00
        288Seventh2 of 5 + Powerball$28.00
        1,599Eighth1 of 5 + Powerball$16.00
        2,939NinthPowerball Only$12.00

Jacal,

You had mentioned in one of your posts that only one person in South Carolina bought the power play and won a million, and also that the other second place winners had shot themselves in the foot by not buying the power play.  I wondered how you knew that. 

When I looked at the NY Lottery's website, because I didnt scroll down the page, I didnt see that NY had posted that info.  Therefore I went to the Powerball website to see if it was posted there.  It's there, but you have to dig deep to get it, and it's on multiple pages.

As for that buck that I said I bought for SM, it never happened!!!  I picked my numbers, then I wrote the post. Then I went out to pick up my daughter with every intention of getting a SM ticket, but my car started acting up. So I picked up my daughter and we drove back home. I'm still trying to figure out what's up with the car!

United States
          Member #94230
          July 16, 2010
          14 Posts
          Posted: November 10, 2010, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

Just mention once again: Everyone can Google "Mega Million Sales" or "Powerball Sales" or "The Lotto Report" to see the sales and change in sales in Powerball, Mega Million and other Texas Lottery games. It is a website run by a Texas man with not only ticket sales of many states, but also Powerplay/Megaplier sales and states profit and loss report of Powerplay and Megaplier.

Also, New York Lottery today posted on announcement online that their new website would be on air very soon. Let's see what it can be improved. As a Sweet Million game lover, I hope that I can use the "Number Chruncher" function to check whether mySweet Million numbers have been drawn. The function is now provided to every drawng games offered by New York Lottery, except Sweet Million.

I also hope that I can use subscription service to buy games other than Mega Millions or New York Lotto. In that way I can buy tickets uninterrupted while not in New York, and I think that would also increase the sales of Sweet Million stably.

United States
            Member #171
            April 7, 2002
            181 Posts
            Posted: November 11, 2010, 6:51 am - IP Logged

No Sweet Million picks today from anyone?  I picked three lines of my own numbers on Mon., looking at number picks from posters here, <snip>,and Gail Howard's tips on winning Sweet Million and I came up with two winning numbers. I mulled around playing number 40 for a while, but decided not to, and it came out.  I had success in picking the correct number groups  (two in the teens, three in thirties, etc.), even though I only matched two of them, so I am a litte encouraged about picking my own numbers on a few lines, but it takes a lot of time to analyze the numbers.

Note to GiveFive:  I hope your car is ok so you can play SM today!

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

NY State
              United States
              Member #92609
              June 10, 2010
              3707 Posts
              Posted: November 11, 2010, 11:22 am - IP Logged

Does anyone know if you buy a Powerball ticket in a state other than the state you reside in, and you win a small prize, ($3.00 or $7.00) can you cash it in a store located in the state you live in? 

We drove to western Massachusetts last Saturday to go shopping at an outlet mall. I stopped for gas, and for no particular reason bought a PB ticket.  After I drove away from the gas station, it occured to me that if I won a large prize, I'd have to go back to Mass to claim it.  But if the prize was big, that'd be no problem!  But I didnt think about a small prize. 

My ticket didnt win anything, and Mass. is about an hour's drive from my home, so I wouldnt drive there just to cash even a $100 winner. Instead I'd just mail it in.  As for a 3 or 7 dollar winner, if I couldnt cash it in a store in New York, I'd throw it away.

United States
                Member #94230
                July 16, 2010
                14 Posts
                Posted: November 11, 2010, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

No, you cannot cash any out of state tickets in any states. Although Powerball and Mega Millions are multi-state games, states just join their accounts for jackpot prizes and Powerplay/Megaplier Prizes (except Texas for Megaplier). All other prizes are paid out of the pocket from each state where you buy the ticket. You can choose to mail your winning ticket to receive a check from MA Lottery.

United States
                  Member #94616
                  July 24, 2010
                  4735 Posts
                  Posted: November 13, 2010, 5:37 am - IP Logged

WOW, *5* in the 30's!!!!! thats a first!

So on Monday do we play everything BUT 30's?

United States
                    Member #171
                    April 7, 2002
                    181 Posts
                    Posted: November 14, 2010, 7:07 am - IP Logged

....and three numbers in sequence besides.  I didn't have time to pick my own numbers on Thurs, and when I saw what came out, I was glad I didn't buy any extra tickets with my own picks because I would have NEVER picked all those 30 numbers.  To add insult to injury, that pesky number 2 came out again with all  those 30's!!!!

United States
                      Member #94230
                      July 16, 2010
                      14 Posts
                      Posted: November 15, 2010, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Great news for Take 5: In this week until Saturday Nov 20, buy $5 Take 5 on one ticket and you will get $1 QP for free; buy $10 Take 5 on one ticket and you will get $3 QP for free. What I do not understand is the short period of the promotion - lasting for only a week. Why don't NY Lottery make the promotion longer? Is it the case that there will be a surge of sales during the Thanksgiving week so there is no need to stimulate sales in that period?

The second question is that is it the habit of people to buy $10 Take 5 on one ticket? As everyone knows, the play slips for Take 5 should have only 5 columns for picking numbers, unlike Sweet Million which have 10 columns. As I am not in New York right now, that's my memory about the Take 5 and SM play slips in August. If there was still only 5 columns in the Take 5 play slip, and I wanted to self pick 10 lines of Take 5 to enjoy that three free QP lines, how would I do so?

I am going to be in New York City the ongoing Thanksgiving week. I hope there will be some meaningful promotion like this one at that time.

The SM for this Monday is also very special: 4,13,23,28,29,33. 13,23,and 33 are out!!!! Like the last drawing, this one still skews toward large numbers.

NY State
                        United States
                        Member #92609
                        June 10, 2010
                        3707 Posts
                        Posted: November 15, 2010, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

My son is home for a few days on leave from The U.S. Coast Guard.  We went out tonight and bought some lottery tix.  I bought 3 dollars QP tonites SM and my son bought Take5. 

Man I hope that kid wins some bucks tonite!!  We went to the NY Football Giants game vs The Cowboys last night.  Because we're Giants fans, we left New Meadowlands Stadium with our heads hung low.  So a nice Take5 win would definitely fix our disappointment with The Giants. 

On Wednesday he leaves for his cutter in Seattle.  The cutter will deploy the day after Thanksgiving for 3 months.  They're going to be looking for drug and gun smugglers off the west coast of South America.  He recently was trained as a Boarding Officer, so if they stop a suspected drug ship, he will lead the boarding party that will look for whatever.  I told him to tell his men to point their M-16's right between those suspected smugglers eyes...  He says the crew on the cutter has their backs.  The cutter's 50 caliber machine guns are trained on the drug ship at all times while the boarding party is aboard the "target ship"....

United States
                          Member #171
                          April 7, 2002
                          181 Posts
                          Posted: November 16, 2010, 10:43 am - IP Logged

GiveFive

If you and your son were fans of the better, much more exciting, New York team, the NY JETS, like I am, you both would be very happy right now that the NY JETS are tied for NUMBER ONE, and you wouldn't feel so bad if your SM tickets are losers, like mine were last night (lol).  I bought five SM QP's all over the place, White Plain, the Bronx, Yonkers, and I only managed to get two numbers on three tickets, but my NY JETS are winners again, in overtime again, YES!!!!

I wish I had the (lottery) luck that Mark Sanchez has on the football field, imagine your kicker missing THREE field goals in regular time, and then you are forced to throw a touchdown pass in overtime to win the game.  If the NY JETS have any more squeaker games like Sunday and some of the other games they played this season, I might not live long enough to win a lottery jackpot, I'm too old for all this NY JETS excitement! 

Mark Sanchez, who is both a great athlete AND  lucky, is going to be a superstar, if he isn't one already, good going Mark and the rest of the NY JETS team (except the kicker) for bringing another win to New York on Sunday!

Now I am going to put on my NY JETS sweatshirt and go work out at the gym.

Thank your son for protecting our country from drug smugglers, all of our superstars aren't just sports figures like Sanchez, your own son is an American hero!

NY State
                            United States
                            Member #92609
                            June 10, 2010
                            3707 Posts
                            Posted: November 16, 2010, 11:46 am - IP Logged

GiveFive

If you and your son were fans of the better, much more exciting, New York team, the NY JETS, like I am, you both would be very happy right now that the NY JETS are tied for NUMBER ONE, and you wouldn't feel so bad if your SM tickets are losers, like mine were last night (lol).  I bought five SM QP's all over the place, White Plain, the Bronx, Yonkers, and I only managed to get two numbers on three tickets, but my NY JETS are winners again, in overtime again, YES!!!!

I wish I had the (lottery) luck that Mark Sanchez has on the football field, imagine your kicker missing THREE field goals in regular time, and then you are forced to throw a touchdown pass in overtime to win the game.  If the NY JETS have any more squeaker games like Sunday and some of the other games they played this season, I might not live long enough to win a lottery jackpot, I'm too old for all this NY JETS excitement! 

Mark Sanchez, who is both a great athlete AND  lucky, is going to be a superstar, if he isn't one already, good going Mark and the rest of the NY JETS team (except the kicker) for bringing another win to New York on Sunday!

Now I am going to put on my NY JETS sweatshirt and go work out at the gym.

Thank your son for protecting our country from drug smugglers, all of our superstars aren't just sports figures like Sanchez, your own son is an American hero!

Jacal,

Thank you.  My son is a Coast Guard Ensign assigned to a ship home-ported in Seattle.  He was in South Carolina for the last six weeks attending a CG school.  He flew to NY last Friday and is home for just 4 days.  He did that so that he and I could go to the Giants game. He paid for the tickets and the parking pass, and believe me, they werent cheap. He wouldnt let me pay for anything.

Because the stadium is new, my son wanted to see it since he doesnt know when he'll have another chance to attend a Giants game.  The half time show was a salute to American veterans and current military service men and women. The US Navy band played, and members from all 5 branches of the military were standing out on the field.  We thought we saw a CG Leiutenant Commander that we personally know holding the Coast Guard flag. That guy is the Commanding Officer of CG Station NY which is located on Staten Island, so it made sense it that it would be him. We were sitting in the upper deck, and we saw the guy (from the back) up on the jumbotron screen. It sure looked like him anyway.

Tomorrow morning I'm taking my son to Laguardia airport to catch a flight to Seattle.  His ship will get underway shortly after Thanksgiving, and not return to Seattle until the first week in March.  He'll probably spend Christmas Day patrolling off the coast of southern Central America. Well, at least the weather will probably be warm down there that day!   

I had one number in 3 games of SM.  GF

NY State
                              United States
                              Member #92609
                              June 10, 2010
                              3707 Posts
                              Posted: November 16, 2010, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

Great news for Take 5: In this week until Saturday Nov 20, buy $5 Take 5 on one ticket and you will get $1 QP for free; buy $10 Take 5 on one ticket and you will get $3 QP for free. What I do not understand is the short period of the promotion - lasting for only a week. Why don't NY Lottery make the promotion longer? Is it the case that there will be a surge of sales during the Thanksgiving week so there is no need to stimulate sales in that period?

The second question is that is it the habit of people to buy $10 Take 5 on one ticket? As everyone knows, the play slips for Take 5 should have only 5 columns for picking numbers, unlike Sweet Million which have 10 columns. As I am not in New York right now, that's my memory about the Take 5 and SM play slips in August. If there was still only 5 columns in the Take 5 play slip, and I wanted to self pick 10 lines of Take 5 to enjoy that three free QP lines, how would I do so?

I am going to be in New York City the ongoing Thanksgiving week. I hope there will be some meaningful promotion like this one at that time.

The SM for this Monday is also very special: 4,13,23,28,29,33. 13,23,and 33 are out!!!! Like the last drawing, this one still skews toward large numbers.

To get 3 bonus free plays for $10 using one playslip, you have to color in the box on the playslip that indicates  the playslip should be used for two drawings.  You'll receive one ticket, (cost is $10) and it will have 5 lines printed on it. It will be good for two nights of drawings. (Tonight and tomorrow night)

You will also receive an additional free ticket with 3 lines printed on it. That ticket will be good for only one night's drawing.  The numbers on each line of the bonus ticket will be randomly generated by the computer. (It's basically a free three dollar QP)

Some people like to play the same set of five numbers for seven consecutive drawings using one playslip. They dont want to buy a ticket everyday, so they mark the box that says "7".   If they play just one line, the ticket is good for 7 drawings, and costs $7.  A player could use one playslip for 7 drawings and play five games. The total cost of that ticket would be $35.00.

Page 17 of 35