Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's with NY Sweet Million??

Topic closed. 516 replies. Last post 5 years ago by kapla.

Page 11 of 35
PrintE-mailLink
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
3818 Posts
Posted: September 16, 2010, 10:59 am - IP Logged

You made me start thinking.. What's the difference if the SM players aren't picking the correct 6 numbers or getting the big win on a QP, you might be the one who does, and besides,  it doesn't make the odds of winning any worse, look how close my Mom came to winning, only 35 people had 5 numbers and won $500 like she did last Monday. Who would have thought she would be one of the 35 second place winners, and it was the first time she played on her own (I purchased a few tickets for her on previous weeks).

BTW, there was a one million dollar PB winner in IN, with the 5X Power Play last night, it's well worth shelling out the extra buck for the Power Play.

Yeah, I buy my tix in a lot of different stores.  I've bought tickets in so many lotto joints that I cant possibly tell you how many.  It has to be well over 100, maybe even 200.  When I'm out of town (but still in New York) I make it a point to look for a lottery sign in a convenience store window.  I've bought upstate, down state, Long Island and everwhere in between.  I always buy when I'm in Manhattan, but I'm not down there too much lately.  I live in Dutchess County so I ride Metro-North to get down there.  I hate to take my car in Manhattan so when I'm there, I walk around mid-town looking for a store.  When I was in New Rochelle, we were at Iona College.  My daughter is doing a college search so we took a look ay Iona.  Same thing when we were upstate a month ago.  We went To Binghamton, Genesseo, Syracuse and Albany.  So when I hit those towns, I bought some tix.  Tomorrow I'll be in northern Jersey for a wedding. I may even buy myself a Jersey Cash5 QP!!  I'm sure on the drive down to Jersey I'll find a lotto joint I havent been in, and stop. I shy away from stores where a JP has already been won.  Repeat JP wins dont happen all that much, although there's a deli in Westchester that has had multiple JP winners, and many second palce winners.  The owner told my nephew that wealthy people living in the area buy MANY tickets, and it's they that are hitting the JP's.  I think my nephew said that deli is in Somers.

The only reason more QP's are JP winners is due to the fact that more QP's are purchased than are numbers selected by players. I occasionally buy a QP, but I'm a player pix guy.  I track Take5, look at trends and other types of things like odd/even paired with group distribution.  Yes the odds are the same for any combo of numbers to come out, but do you really think six numbers in a row are going to be drawn? (Like 12 13 14 15 16 17 for instance.)  It's certainly possible, but not very likely.  While I've never seen a QP with a straight five or six numbers on it, I have gotten a Take5 QP with 4 numbers in a row on it.  I sent the NY Lottery a question asking them how many times in the history of Take5 has 4 numbers in a row been drawn. Their answer was 3 or 4.  There have been 3,980 Take5 drawings since it began back in 1999.  There has NEVER been a Take5 drawing where 5 numbers in a row were drawn. It's bad enough that it's nearly impossible to win a Take5 JP, but when the computer makes it even tougher by giving you a QP with four in a row on it, well I dont go for that.  The only way to keep the computer from doing that is to pick 'em yourself.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
    Member #171
    April 7, 2002
    181 Posts
    Posted: September 16, 2010, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

GiveFive:  I read your latest post but have to reread it to think about your lottery logic (I love to read about how other  players pick their numbers) and respond, but I am posting now to tell you and other posters what happened last Thursday when the clerk failed to give me the "three free" ticket. With the help of the NY Lottery, we determined that my $5.00 (QP) ticket was dated Wednesday, Sept 8, not Thursday, Sept 9, the day I purchased it and the day the SM promo is in effect, so the clerk made out he was giving me a ticket from the lottery machine, but he really gave me a ticket from Wednesday that someone didn't want for some reason, so he was reselling it!  He must have forgotten the SM promotion was on Thursday and failed to give me the "free three", which I called to his attention.  The NY Lottery rep said in this case the clerk followed proper procedures, and gave me the "three free" on a ticket marked $3.00, the lottery rep said the stores can get credit for tickets in certain situations.

I'm really going to scrutinize my lottery tickets before I leave the store now, because sometimes I go to the store in the evening on the day of the drawing because I want a QP ticket drawn with numbers generated shortly before the drawing, not somebody's else reject from the day before!

NY State
      United States
      Member #92609
      June 10, 2010
      3818 Posts
      Posted: September 16, 2010, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

GiveFive:  I read your latest post but have to reread it to think about your lottery logic (I love to read about how other  players pick their numbers) and respond, but I am posting now to tell you and other posters what happened last Thursday when the clerk failed to give me the "three free" ticket. With the help of the NY Lottery, we determined that my $5.00 (QP) ticket was dated Wednesday, Sept 8, not Thursday, Sept 9, the day I purchased it and the day the SM promo is in effect, so the clerk made out he was giving me a ticket from the lottery machine, but he really gave me a ticket from Wednesday that someone didn't want for some reason, so he was reselling it!  He must have forgotten the SM promotion was on Thursday and failed to give me the "free three", which I called to his attention.  The NY Lottery rep said in this case the clerk followed proper procedures, and gave me the "three free" on a ticket marked $3.00, the lottery rep said the stores can get credit for tickets in certain situations.

I'm really going to scrutinize my lottery tickets before I leave the store now, because sometimes I go to the store in the evening on the day of the drawing because I want a QP ticket drawn with numbers generated shortly before the drawing, not somebody's else reject from the day before!

I'm confused Jacal.

If it was really was Thursday the 9th when you were in the store, then how the heck could a $5.00 QP ticket be generated with a date of 9/8 on it?   I dont know for sure if a QP ticket is generated locally at the terminal in the store, or if it's done by a central computer located someplace else.  But if it's a central computer, (aka "a server") then all tickets in the state would have the wrong date on them. I dont see how a scew up like THAT could happen.  It would ahve gotten a lot of attention in the press if it actually did happen.  If the terminal in the store generates QP's, then I can see how someone could have made an honets mistake and loaded the wrong date into that  one particular terminal. 

If the $5.00 ticket was created with a date of 9/8 on it, then the server or the terminal would not have generated a free 3 line QP ticket at all, which means the clerk coudnt have "failed to give you a free three" because he didnt have one to give you. 

And that clerk didnt "resell" the $3.00 ticket to you because he gave it to you for free. Which makes me wonder if the store cancelled it prior to giving it to you. If they did that, then maybe all you ever had in your hand was a worthless piece of paper that looked just like a lottery ticket.  The only way you could have found out if that was the case was if you had won a prize.  If you had, you'd have taken the ticket to get your winnings, and they'd have told you it was no good because it had been invalidated.  Something is still not right someplace!

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

NY State
        United States
        Member #92609
        June 10, 2010
        3818 Posts
        Posted: September 16, 2010, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

I'm confused Jacal.

If it was really was Thursday the 9th when you were in the store, then how the heck could a $5.00 QP ticket be generated with a date of 9/8 on it?   I dont know for sure if a QP ticket is generated locally at the terminal in the store, or if it's done by a central computer located someplace else.  But if it's a central computer, (aka "a server") then all tickets in the state would have the wrong date on them. I dont see how a scew up like THAT could happen.  It would ahve gotten a lot of attention in the press if it actually did happen.  If the terminal in the store generates QP's, then I can see how someone could have made an honets mistake and loaded the wrong date into that  one particular terminal. 

If the $5.00 ticket was created with a date of 9/8 on it, then the server or the terminal would not have generated a free 3 line QP ticket at all, which means the clerk coudnt have "failed to give you a free three" because he didnt have one to give you. 

And that clerk didnt "resell" the $3.00 ticket to you because he gave it to you for free. Which makes me wonder if the store cancelled it prior to giving it to you. If they did that, then maybe all you ever had in your hand was a worthless piece of paper that looked just like a lottery ticket.  The only way you could have found out if that was the case was if you had won a prize.  If you had, you'd have taken the ticket to get your winnings, and they'd have told you it was no good because it had been invalidated.  Something is still not right someplace!

I just re-read your post Jacal... I get it now!  I'm a little slow some times.....

The clerk gave you 5 dollar SM QP ticket that was generated on Wednesday the 8th. Somebody else asked for a $5.00 SM QP but refused it and gave it back to the clerk. The store held on to the ticket for a day, and tried to sneak it past you on Thursday the 9th, except you wanted the free three ticket due to the promo. When you asked for the three free ticket that you didnt get, the clerk realized the promo must still be on (but he asked just to make sure it was) and then they punched up a $3.00 QP and gave it to you free of charge.

I bet I know why the ticket was refused on Wednesday!!!  The guy that asked for it thought he was going to get the promo, but was told that tickets have to be bought on Monday's or Thursday's to get the promo! So he told them to keep it!  He probably came back on Thursday and bought 5 bucks...and got his 3 free too!

NY State
          United States
          Member #92609
          June 10, 2010
          3818 Posts
          Posted: September 16, 2010, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

Dont ask me why, but I did it....  I went out and bought the SM promo.  I picked the $5.00 portion myself with the exception of the last line, in which, I did a partial QP.

5 16 19 24 28 39

7 10 18 24 31 38

4 8 19 21 35 37

6 13 20 25 33 36

1 12 17 20 30 31 <=== partial QP

9 10 14 22 26 38  QP

2 10 17 24 25 28  QP

15 21 23 36 37 40 QP

Soon as this promo goes away, I dont know that I'll be playin all that much of SM........

United States
            Member #94616
            July 24, 2010
            4735 Posts
            Posted: September 17, 2010, 4:31 am - IP Logged

Dont ask me why, but I did it....  I went out and bought the SM promo.  I picked the $5.00 portion myself with the exception of the last line, in which, I did a partial QP.

5 16 19 24 28 39

7 10 18 24 31 38

4 8 19 21 35 37

6 13 20 25 33 36

1 12 17 20 30 31 <=== partial QP

9 10 14 22 26 38  QP

2 10 17 24 25 28  QP

15 21 23 36 37 40 QP

Soon as this promo goes away, I dont know that I'll be playin all that much of SM........

I agree with the promo comment, once its over I am done playing too.. neither the HOT or COLD numbers hit last night..

NY State
              United States
              Member #92609
              June 10, 2010
              3818 Posts
              Posted: September 17, 2010, 5:51 am - IP Logged

I agree with the promo comment, once its over I am done playing too.. neither the HOT or COLD numbers hit last night..

I had a few numbers here and there on my tix, but nothing substantial. 

I checked the lottery's website to see if there was a winner last nite, but it hasnt been updated yet.  I'll be surprised if there was a million dollar winner.

NY State
                United States
                Member #92609
                June 10, 2010
                3818 Posts
                Posted: September 17, 2010, 8:31 am - IP Logged

I had a few numbers here and there on my tix, but nothing substantial. 

I checked the lottery's website to see if there was a winner last nite, but it hasnt been updated yet.  I'll be surprised if there was a million dollar winner.

Here's today's press release for last nite's SM Drawing:

September 16, 2010 Sweet Million Winning Numbers:
                2 - 9 - 13 - 15 - 26 - 31

Prize
                Level
                Numbers
                Matched
                Prize
                Amount
                No. of
                Winners
                First6 out of 6$1,000,000.000
                Second5 out of 6$500.0043
                Third4 out of 6$40.001,571
                Fourth3 out of 6$3.0022,506

Why am I not surprised that there was no million dollar winner?

United States
                  Member #171
                  April 7, 2002
                  181 Posts
                  Posted: September 17, 2010, 9:11 am - IP Logged

Here's today's press release for last nite's SM Drawing:

September 16, 2010 Sweet Million Winning Numbers:
                  2 - 9 - 13 - 15 - 26 - 31

Prize
                  Level
                  Numbers
                  Matched
                  Prize
                  Amount
                  No. of
                  Winners
                  First6 out of 6$1,000,000.000
                  Second5 out of 6$500.0043
                  Third4 out of 6$40.001,571
                  Fourth3 out of 6$3.0022,506

Why am I not surprised that there was no million dollar winner?

I have 9, 13, and 26, on the last line of the(QP) freebie, so far my take this week is SM-$9.00 PB-$20.00,  deducting the cost of the tickets.  my winnings amount to $13.

TakeFive:  You got it now, that's what happened, the clerk tried to pass off Wednesday's rejected SM ticket to me on Thursday,  I never thought about the player rejecting the ticket On Wed. because he didn't get the promo, I bet you are correct, you think like a detective, you should get a job with NY Lottery security (lol).

The clerk was sneaky about it, that's what annoys me, he pretended to get a new SM  ticket from the machine, but handed me Wednesday's reject instead, as I said in a prior post, the lottery machine in that store sits high off the counter, so a customer can't view the tickets coming out of the machine.

I am superstitious about not looking at the QP numbers before the drawing, so I don't look at the tickets after the clerk hands them to me, but I wouldn't have noticed it was Wednesday's reject anyway, even if I did look at it, now I know better and will glance at the ticket date from now on.

You guys aren't going to desert me on SM after the promo is over and let me win all this money on my own, are you? ..sob..sob..sob..   Well, if you guys go, at least Mom and I won't be winning your money any longer (lol), but you won't be getting any of our future SM contributions either (lol).

United States
                    Member #171
                    April 7, 2002
                    181 Posts
                    Posted: September 17, 2010, 10:29 am - IP Logged

I have 9, 13, and 26, on the last line of the(QP) freebie, so far my take this week is SM-$9.00 PB-$20.00,  deducting the cost of the tickets.  my winnings amount to $13.

TakeFive:  You got it now, that's what happened, the clerk tried to pass off Wednesday's rejected SM ticket to me on Thursday,  I never thought about the player rejecting the ticket On Wed. because he didn't get the promo, I bet you are correct, you think like a detective, you should get a job with NY Lottery security (lol).

The clerk was sneaky about it, that's what annoys me, he pretended to get a new SM  ticket from the machine, but handed me Wednesday's reject instead, as I said in a prior post, the lottery machine in that store sits high off the counter, so a customer can't view the tickets coming out of the machine.

I am superstitious about not looking at the QP numbers before the drawing, so I don't look at the tickets after the clerk hands them to me, but I wouldn't have noticed it was Wednesday's reject anyway, even if I did look at it, now I know better and will glance at the ticket date from now on.

You guys aren't going to desert me on SM after the promo is over and let me win all this money on my own, are you? ..sob..sob..sob..   Well, if you guys go, at least Mom and I won't be winning your money any longer (lol), but you won't be getting any of our future SM contributions either (lol).

GiveFive:  I called you TakeFive instead of GiveFive in the second paragraph above, because I posted after reading your comments about Take 5, and Take 5 was on my mind (lol)!

The lottery stores I go to where big jackpots have been won, have been giving me a nice mix of SM numbers; some odd, some even, some high, some low, that's why I keep buying tickets at those stores, but when Mom won the $500 she had four numbers in the 30's on her QP ticket that matched, not a more balanced set of Sweet Million numbers more likely to come out, so you never know, some of those strange QP combos just might be the big winners going forward, but I don't like to see consecutive numbers on the QP or repeated numbers on many lines.

It's ironic, the other number that Mom matched besides 4 numbers in the 30's was 29, and she plays that number all the time in the NY Pick4 because she was born in 1929.  I soon as I saw 29 her ticket, before I knew it was a $500 winner, I said to her, "There's your 29 again",  and then the 4 numbers in the 30's followed, I really couldn't believe it, I felt like it was the 29 that brought her the good luck.  If you go to the store too late in the day to get the 1929 Pick4, it's sold out.

NY State
                      United States
                      Member #92609
                      June 10, 2010
                      3818 Posts
                      Posted: September 17, 2010, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

I do think like a detective, I once wanted to be a U.S. Marshal.........  never happened though.

It must be my son's influence on me.  He's aboard a Coast Guard ship patrolling the west coast of Central America looking for drug and gun smugglers.  He called me last Sunday from Puerta Villarta and told me they very recently took 350 kilo's of cocaine off a "go fast".  He said the patrol is almost over, they have pointed the bow north, and will pull into San Diego on the 27th.  He's been on patrol since the first week of July. 

To celebrate their hit, I downloaded Eric Clapton's "Cocaine" to my cellphone and use it for my ringtone. 

I wonder what song I can download to celebrate a huge SM hit???

United States
                        Member #171
                        April 7, 2002
                        181 Posts
                        Posted: September 18, 2010, 9:02 am - IP Logged

I do think like a detective, I once wanted to be a U.S. Marshal.........  never happened though.

It must be my son's influence on me.  He's aboard a Coast Guard ship patrolling the west coast of Central America looking for drug and gun smugglers.  He called me last Sunday from Puerta Villarta and told me they very recently took 350 kilo's of cocaine off a "go fast".  He said the patrol is almost over, they have pointed the bow north, and will pull into San Diego on the 27th.  He's been on patrol since the first week of July. 

To celebrate their hit, I downloaded Eric Clapton's "Cocaine" to my cellphone and use it for my ringtone. 

More trouble with SM yesterday (Friday), a lottery retailer tried to screw me out of my $3.00 SM win on Thursday's ticket!!!!

I handed him my SM ticket and I heard the music playing indicating I was a winner, and then I said one Mega Million for tonight, and then he said, "one dollar."  I told him HE OWES ME $2.00 for my Sweet Million win (minus one dollar for my Mega Million purchase) because I won $3.00 on the last line.  He proceeds to look for my ticket, and now he is showing me the wrong one, asking me if it was my ticket (it was another person's $5.00 ticket, I won on the freebie ticket with 3 lines), so I am still waiting for him to do something and then he finally comes up with my three line ticket and gives me the $2.00!  Seriously, do have to take the Lottery Police with me every time I buy or cash in a SM ticket?????

I LOVE Eric Clapton, he is my all-time favorite guitar player and singer, I love his hoarse-like voice.

It's sounds like your son needs a good rest after the patrol is over, and San Diego is a great place to do it, I have lots of family there and was going out there regularly until a few years ago, I don't think flying is safe with all the tension between the U.S. and the Middle East, and after what happened last week when they caught a few guys sneaking explosive equipment on a flight they weren't even on, forget it, I won't be flying again anytime soon. I'm satisfied staying in Westchester County and places I can drive to from here.

I changed my ticket buying pattern yesterday, I purchased two PB with Power Play tickets in two separate stores in White Plains yesterday, and my MM ticket at a different Yonkers store where that idiot forgot about my SM money, instead of my favorite Yonkers/Bronxville stores, so I'll see how that goes.  Everyone in NY now has a chance to win at least a million every night except Sunday, that's awesome!!!!

How about, "Baby You're a Rich Man" by The Beatles, to celebrate your SM hit???

NY State
                          United States
                          Member #92609
                          June 10, 2010
                          3818 Posts
                          Posted: September 18, 2010, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

Did you read the news on the front page of LP?

This week, a retailer in Queens tried to steal a 14 million dollar Lotto winning ticket!!

I hit Take5 for $23.50 last night.  When I cashed in the ticket this afternoon, I told the clerk I had a "23 dollar winning ticket".  She scanned it and said, "Maybe not."  I didnt say anything because I was POSITIVE that it was a winner.  (I had checked it online at home, then I used the scanner in the store.)  She scanned it again, said nothing, but opened the cash drawer and pulled out $23.50.  I wonder what that "Maybe not" was all about.  She did re-scan it, and I dont recall hearing the "we're in the money" tune being played by the lottery machine.  Maybe she just resented being told it was a winner and how much I had won. Who knows.

If she had tried anything shaky, I was ready for her. First, I'd have gotten the ticket back, then asked for the manager.  I then would have scanned it in front of him/her and asked him/her what did the clerk mean by "Maybe not". 

When I win anymore, I always just take the cash.  After that, I then tell the clerk if I want to buy any other lottery products.  Either they're just dumb and cant get it right, or they're up to something.  So I just take control of the situation and take matters into my own hands.  I still have the 23 bucks in my pocket. After the "maybe not" I took my money and left.  If I wanted anything lottery related, I'd have gone in the gas station across the street and bought it there.

United States
                            Member #171
                            April 7, 2002
                            181 Posts
                            Posted: September 19, 2010, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

That's great, glad to hear you won Take5!!!  Now you can get some free plays!

I never tell the clerk that I know my ticket is a winner before I hand it over, I want to see if they are going to scam me!

Oh No!  New England Just Got a Second Touchdown.

I don't blame you for not buying any tickets from the "maybe not" girl, I do the same thing, if I don't like how the clerk treats me when I cash-in my winners, I will purchase tickets someplace else.

I read about the attempted theft of the 14 million ticket in The New York Post, it was the cover story, I guess I can't say I'm surprised, but that poor retired MTA employee, all the aggravation and upset he went through, he should shut that bodega down with his multi-million dollar win.

Well, no luck with PB on Saturday, looking forward to Sweet Million on Monday, 'still thinking about where to purchase my $5.00 QP.

LETS GO JETS !!!!!!!!

United States
                              Member #94616
                              July 24, 2010
                              4735 Posts
                              Posted: September 21, 2010, 5:47 am - IP Logged

Ok, played $5 worth of 1, 39 cold and 4, 24 hot... and hit nothing.

BUT! My picks hit 4 out of 6 for $40!!!! gotta laugh LOL

Page 11 of 35