Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's with NY Sweet Million??

Topic closed. 516 replies. Last post 5 years ago by kapla.

Page 9 of 35
PrintE-mailLink
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
3699 Posts
Posted: September 7, 2010, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

My Mom missed the million last night by ONE NUMBER, she had five numbers and won $500.00!  She said the only reason she picked up the $5.00 ticket was because of me,  she sees my Sweet Million tickets around the house all the time and heard me talk about the September promo (maybe she will give me a tip, lol). She won on the freebie, I still can't believe she came so close, she matched 10,29,30,31, and 33 (she had number 6, but 34 came out instead).  I read on the NY Lottery web-site that only 35 people won $500 and she was one of them.  The ironic thing is I never buy my tickets where she purchased her winning one because it's too close to our house and I told her the store didn't feel lucky to me (lol).

Mom got confused about Sweet Million, she wrote down the SM numbers down last night, and went to bed thinking that she had only matched four numbers because she thought the 5th matching number she had was like the Mega number!  When I woke up this morning she asked me if I had the SM numbers so I looked on-line and as she was reading her ticket aloud and I told her that she had 5 numbers and SM doesn't have an extra ball like Mega, and she was still asking me if I was sure she won $500.  Actually, if she was playing MM and had 4 numbers and the Mega number she would have won $10,000, or if she had all 5 numbers in MM (like she did on SM) she would have won $250,000, but she didn't realize that because of her confusion, and I suspect she was thinking she won more than $500 on SM for matching 5 numbers because she's not familiar with the prize amounts for SM.

Don't worry, Mom won't waste the money you guys put in the SM pool, she is on a fixed income and the money will come in very handy, I'm so happy for her, she plays NY WIN4 a few times a week and hasn't won anything in a long time, and a few nights ago she played 9253, but 9250 came out instead and she was very disappointed, so I told her to keep trying and she will win soon, but I never thought she would win SM!

Well, I was almost the daughter of a millionaire which would have made me a millionaire someday!  I didn't have 3 matching numbers last night, the first time in three draws that I ended up winning nothing. I hope the next time I post here it will be to say that Mom or I won the big one , we'll keep trying!

Congrats to your Mom!!

Did she buy a $5 QP, or did she pick her own numbers?

And Jacal, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, if she does hit all six numbers, she'll be an almost millionaire!

Uncle Sam will stick his hand into her pocketbook a lots faster and deeper than she can! The IRS will probably swipe one third of it..... but 666,000 beans is a lot better than no beans, which is what I always win.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
    Member #171
    April 7, 2002
    181 Posts
    Posted: September 8, 2010, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Congrats to your Mom!!

Did she buy a $5 QP, or did she pick her own numbers?

And Jacal, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, if she does hit all six numbers, she'll be an almost millionaire!

Uncle Sam will stick his hand into her pocketbook a lots faster and deeper than she can! The IRS will probably swipe one third of it..... but 666,000 beans is a lot better than no beans, which is what I always win.

Thank you so much!! I'll tell her that GiveFive sent her congrats! I forgot to post that Mom purchased the $5.00 quick pick and her 5 matching numbers were on the freebie.  We had a lot of fun today cashing in her ticket, the guy at the racino who cashed it for her said, "That was a good hit." and I said, "yes, she was almost a millionaire, missed by one number!"  She didn't cash it in at the small store where she purchased the ticket, she didn't want to inconvenience the two young girls who work there by making them take so much money out of the register, but we did go to that store after Mom got her money, and she tipped both girls and thanked them for her win, they both were excited about the money.   She offered me $100.00, but I told her to keep it and buy a flat screen tv for her room.  I told her she got the $10.00 that I contributed to the SM drawing, so she said she would give my $10.00 back (lol). 

Her grandson (my 9 year old nephew) asked for some of the lottery money (lol), because the few times I won $40.00 on SM, I gave him $5.00, so he thinks he will get the same deal from his grandma.  My nephew comes with me to buy lottery tickets, I drag the poor kid all over the Bronx, Yonkers and all over southern Westchester to buy my tickets, and I keep telling him we will win the big one, because he is my lucky charm, so I fork over some of my winnings to him (I'm so generous) for putting up with my lottery jaunts, but I'm sure his grandma will buy him whatever he wants when they go shopping in the video game store.  I told him next time it will be the million or should I say $666,000!

Actually, I am invested in a tax advantaged mutual  fund that is paying 14%, so if I won the $666,000, I might consider adding that entire amount to my holdings in that fund and I would be a millionaire in about five years.

There were only 35 winners of the $500 second price, and no big winner, so, as you say, "Play it Again, SaM!

NY State
      United States
      Member #92609
      June 10, 2010
      3699 Posts
      Posted: September 9, 2010, 7:56 am - IP Logged

Thank you so much!! I'll tell her that GiveFive sent her congrats! I forgot to post that Mom purchased the $5.00 quick pick and her 5 matching numbers were on the freebie.  We had a lot of fun today cashing in her ticket, the guy at the racino who cashed it for her said, "That was a good hit." and I said, "yes, she was almost a millionaire, missed by one number!"  She didn't cash it in at the small store where she purchased the ticket, she didn't want to inconvenience the two young girls who work there by making them take so much money out of the register, but we did go to that store after Mom got her money, and she tipped both girls and thanked them for her win, they both were excited about the money.   She offered me $100.00, but I told her to keep it and buy a flat screen tv for her room.  I told her she got the $10.00 that I contributed to the SM drawing, so she said she would give my $10.00 back (lol). 

Her grandson (my 9 year old nephew) asked for some of the lottery money (lol), because the few times I won $40.00 on SM, I gave him $5.00, so he thinks he will get the same deal from his grandma.  My nephew comes with me to buy lottery tickets, I drag the poor kid all over the Bronx, Yonkers and all over southern Westchester to buy my tickets, and I keep telling him we will win the big one, because he is my lucky charm, so I fork over some of my winnings to him (I'm so generous) for putting up with my lottery jaunts, but I'm sure his grandma will buy him whatever he wants when they go shopping in the video game store.  I told him next time it will be the million or should I say $666,000!

Actually, I am invested in a tax advantaged mutual  fund that is paying 14%, so if I won the $666,000, I might consider adding that entire amount to my holdings in that fund and I would be a millionaire in about five years.

There were only 35 winners of the $500 second price, and no big winner, so, as you say, "Play it Again, SaM!

Jacal, you're a good daughter and a GREAT Aunt!

Should you swing thru New Rochelle on one of your lottery jaunts, there's a Mobil station just down the street from the main entrance to Iona College.  I bought Take5 there last July when I was in New Rochelle for the day.  I didnt even win a lousy FP, but what the heck, maybe you'll become a millionaire in there!

And Grandma is givin out tips for a $500 hit?  WOW!  Maybe I'll stop by her house and see if I can cash in!!!!

I'm in it to win it for tonites SM Promo!!  G5

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
        Member #171
        April 7, 2002
        181 Posts
        Posted: September 9, 2010, 10:03 am - IP Logged

Thanks for your kind words, I live about 10 minutes from Iona, I'll check it out!  Mom got a kick out of your name, GiveFive instead of TakeFive!

Good Luck tonight, I'm still deciding where to get my $5.00 QP today!

NY State
          United States
          Member #92609
          June 10, 2010
          3699 Posts
          Posted: September 9, 2010, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for your kind words, I live about 10 minutes from Iona, I'll check it out!  Mom got a kick out of your name, GiveFive instead of TakeFive!

Good Luck tonight, I'm still deciding where to get my $5.00 QP today!

The reason for "GiveFive "is because I'm always givin them five, but I never take five from them, if you know what I mean!!

I know where I'm buyin' my $5 of SM today,  but I aint plannin' on goin back there to give somebody a tip like Gran Ma Jacal did.  That' cuz it's hard to give somebody a tip for sellin' you a loser! 

By the way, whaddaya doin buyin a QP?  Live dangerously and pick a few of your own!

NY State
            United States
            Member #92609
            June 10, 2010
            3699 Posts
            Posted: September 9, 2010, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

Here's my hand picked SM pix for tonite;

4 9 10 15 25 38

8 13 20 25 29 36

10 16 21 28 33 34

5 12 19 24 26 35

1 4 17 27 28 38

and for plunkin down a five spot I got 3 freebie QP's...

7 10 22 25 28 33

4 15 19 29 30 33

1 4 7 11 32 39

United States
              Member #171
              April 7, 2002
              181 Posts
              Posted: September 9, 2010, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

The reason for "GiveFive "is because I'm always givin them five, but I never take five from them, if you know what I mean!!

I know where I'm buyin' my $5 of SM today,  but I aint plannin' on goin back there to give somebody a tip like Gran Ma Jacal did.  That' cuz it's hard to give somebody a tip for sellin' you a loser! 

By the way, whaddaya doin buyin a QP?  Live dangerously and pick a few of your own!

When I pick my own numbers with a system and the system fails on that draw, that I am screwed on all the lines I picked, like on Monday when four numbers in the 30's came out,  I would have never picked so many numbers in the 30's, and I would have lost, but on Monday my QP lost anyway, I wasn't a winner like my Mom, so my system (if I picked my own on Mon.) and the QP system failed me on Monday, but I could try my system on one or two lines going forward, as you suggested, and I wouldn't get hurt too much if my numbers didn't come out.

I don't think Sweet Million is being advertised enough, when I was in the store today I asked for $5.00 SM, but the clerk only gave me the five dollar ticket and no freebies, so I asked him why he didn't give me the second ticket.  He had to ask another store employee if the SM promotion was still going on (I guess he doesn't read the info on the NY Lottery computer monitor in his store), then I had to wait a few minutes until he figured out how to give me the 3 free lines.  When a woman on the lottery line with me overheard this, she told me she was going to play SM instead of getting a scratch-off, she didn't know about the Sept. promotion.  My neighbor didn't know about it either until he heard my Mom won, so he ran out to buy SM tickets today for the first time ever.

You aren't being sold losing tickets, other players are winning money with your money, and some of your money is going to education and scholarships for NY students. so we are all winners!

pattyk's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                Williamstown, NY
                United States
                Member #82142
                November 7, 2009
                335 Posts
                Posted: September 9, 2010, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

Playing QP's:

11, 24, 27, 29, 35, 37

09, 11, 14, 24, 29, 40

04, 07, 09, 20, 22, 30

04, 06, 11, 24, 31, 38

09, 11, 22, 26, 29, 37

NY State
                  United States
                  Member #92609
                  June 10, 2010
                  3699 Posts
                  Posted: September 9, 2010, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Here's my hand picked SM pix for tonite;

4 9 10 15 25 38

8 13 20 25 29 36

10 16 21 28 33 34

5 12 19 24 26 35

1 4 17 27 28 38

and for plunkin down a five spot I got 3 freebie QP's...

7 10 22 25 28 33

4 15 19 29 30 33

1 4 7 11 32 39

18 26 30 31 36 40

A double repeater tonite!  Both 30 and 31 came out last Monday.

I had one number in three different games... shoulda played repeaters and ddnt!

We'll see in the morning if anybody hit a JP or not!

NY State
                    United States
                    Member #92609
                    June 10, 2010
                    3699 Posts
                    Posted: September 9, 2010, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

When I pick my own numbers with a system and the system fails on that draw, that I am screwed on all the lines I picked, like on Monday when four numbers in the 30's came out,  I would have never picked so many numbers in the 30's, and I would have lost, but on Monday my QP lost anyway, I wasn't a winner like my Mom, so my system (if I picked my own on Mon.) and the QP system failed me on Monday, but I could try my system on one or two lines going forward, as you suggested, and I wouldn't get hurt too much if my numbers didn't come out.

I don't think Sweet Million is being advertised enough, when I was in the store today I asked for $5.00 SM, but the clerk only gave me the five dollar ticket and no freebies, so I asked him why he didn't give me the second ticket.  He had to ask another store employee if the SM promotion was still going on (I guess he doesn't read the info on the NY Lottery computer monitor in his store), then I had to wait a few minutes until he figured out how to give me the 3 free lines.  When a woman on the lottery line with me overheard this, she told me she was going to play SM instead of getting a scratch-off, she didn't know about the Sept. promotion.  My neighbor didn't know about it either until he heard my Mom won, so he ran out to buy SM tickets today for the first time ever.

You aren't being sold losing tickets, other players are winning money with your money, and some of your money is going to education and scholarships for NY students. so we are all winners!

I dunno Jacal....

Somthin aint right with that clerk situation.....  When you buy five bucks of SM on Monday or Thursday, the clerk doesnt have to do anything to make that three dollar freebie ticket pop out of the machine.  It gets generated and printed automatically.  Maybe I've seen too many TV shows lately about retail lottery clerks scamming customers, but that whole deal you described sounds fishy to me.  I'll just leave it with it's a good thing you spoke up..... 

You're right about SM not being advertised enough, but I also think some people dont know a good thing when they see it.  Did you ever play Lotto Extra?  If you didnt, you're not alone.  the NYS Lottery pulled the game a few months ago, and that's a huge shame.  But nobody played it, so they yanked it.

If you bought a Lotto Extra ticket, as opposed to regular Lotto, you got the "Extra" or 8th ball drawn. That Extra ball cut down the odds tremendously.  Extra cost $1.00 pr game as opposed to regular Lotto's 50 cents per game, but if you matched 5 out of the six numbers, and you had played Extra, they DOUBLED second prize. (5 balls matched)  One guy hit a $300,000 second prize (5 out of 6 balls matched) but since he had played Lotto Extra, he won $600,000.  He won an extra $300,000 for spending an extra 50 cents........... 

I dont know what's gonna happen with SM.  If not enough JP's are won, people wont play it, and The NYS lottery probably wont keep it.

United States
                      Member #171
                      April 7, 2002
                      181 Posts
                      Posted: September 11, 2010, 10:25 am - IP Logged

When the clerk didn't give me the freebie I was thinking, "how could this be, the freebie ticket automatically comes out with the $5.00 one?" (just as you posted).  Then I thought maybe he failed to pick up the freebie ticket up along with the $5.00 one, but that couldn't be what happened because he asked the other clerk if the freebie was still in effect, and then he had to key something in the computer to generate another three lines.  Since he gave me the free lines, I didn't think about it any further until I read your post about the clerk possibly scamming me, so I looked at the freebie ticket and it does not say "congratulations on your free Sweet Million QP from the NY Lottery", so that means the clerk could have possibly kept my freebie ticket for himself, but when I caught it, he had to generate another three lines for me on another ticket.  Does that mean he had to pay for my three lines?  If so, then he ended up paying for my freebie ticket if he stole it.

What would have happened if the clerk won the million on the freebie ticket that should have gone to me?  Would I have grounds for a lawsuit? 

I never looked into Lotto Extra, I wasn't playing NY Lotto that much when it was in effect, and I remember thinking I didn't want to pay an extra dollar for a ticket, but I admit I never really looked into what the extra dollar offered in winnings.  I hope NYS Lottery doesn't pull SM.

Yesterday I purchased a Power Ball ticket and I told the clerk (a different clerk than the one who sold me SM) I wanted the Power Play, but she made a mistake and didn't do the Power Play (again, more mistakes from the lottery retailers), so she asks me if I would accept the ticket without the Power Play, so I said no, the ticket is for someone else (I lied so she wouldn't give me a hard time about giving me the correct ticket) and I need it the correct way.  That's what I am going to say from now on, that I am buying the tickets for another person when they make mistakes again, so I don't get into any more arguments.

Mom won another $3.00 on SM Thursday's drawing, so her SM winnings total $503.00 this week.  I told her to quit buying SM so she will be ahead of the game, but she says no, she is trying for the million (or $666,000)!

Thanks so much for alerting me to the possibilty that I could have been scammed.

I have the 9/11 coverage on, and they just read the name of one of the victims in the WWC that went to high school with sister-in-law and who came from our city, what a shame, remember the year 911 came out in the NY numbers on 9/11?

United States
                        Member #94616
                        July 24, 2010
                        4735 Posts
                        Posted: September 11, 2010, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

When the clerk didn't give me the freebie I was thinking, "how could this be, the freebie ticket automatically comes out with the $5.00 one?" (just as you posted).  Then I thought maybe he failed to pick up the freebie ticket up along with the $5.00 one, but that couldn't be what happened because he asked the other clerk if the freebie was still in effect, and then he had to key something in the computer to generate another three lines.  Since he gave me the free lines, I didn't think about it any further until I read your post about the clerk possibly scamming me, so I looked at the freebie ticket and it does not say "congratulations on your free Sweet Million QP from the NY Lottery", so that means the clerk could have possibly kept my freebie ticket for himself, but when I caught it, he had to generate another three lines for me on another ticket.  Does that mean he had to pay for my three lines?  If so, then he ended up paying for my freebie ticket if he stole it.

What would have happened if the clerk won the million on the freebie ticket that should have gone to me?  Would I have grounds for a lawsuit? 

I never looked into Lotto Extra, I wasn't playing NY Lotto that much when it was in effect, and I remember thinking I didn't want to pay an extra dollar for a ticket, but I admit I never really looked into what the extra dollar offered in winnings.  I hope NYS Lottery doesn't pull SM.

Yesterday I purchased a Power Ball ticket and I told the clerk (a different clerk than the one who sold me SM) I wanted the Power Play, but she made a mistake and didn't do the Power Play (again, more mistakes from the lottery retailers), so she asks me if I would accept the ticket without the Power Play, so I said no, the ticket is for someone else (I lied so she wouldn't give me a hard time about giving me the correct ticket) and I need it the correct way.  That's what I am going to say from now on, that I am buying the tickets for another person when they make mistakes again, so I don't get into any more arguments.

Mom won another $3.00 on SM Thursday's drawing, so her SM winnings total $503.00 this week.  I told her to quit buying SM so she will be ahead of the game, but she says no, she is trying for the million (or $666,000)!

Thanks so much for alerting me to the possibilty that I could have been scammed.

I have the 9/11 coverage on, and they just read the name of one of the victims in the WWC that went to high school with sister-in-law and who came from our city, what a shame, remember the year 911 came out in the NY numbers on 9/11?

I remember the 911 coming out *1* year later!!! That was strange! US Flag

NY State
                          United States
                          Member #92609
                          June 10, 2010
                          3699 Posts
                          Posted: September 11, 2010, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Ya know Jacal, I hate to be so cynical, but I definitely think you caught the clerk trying to scam you.  He's probably done it before to others.  Some people probably dont know about the promo, and therefore wouldnt know enough to say something about not getting their "3 free" ticket. Others might be too shy to speak up, and the clerk gets away with pocketing the freebie.  Remember, he see's everybody that plays.  I'll bet he's learned from experience that many people are unaware of the promo.

He absolutely knew you should have gotten a freebie, because he asked the other clerk "if the promo was still in effect". If he knew about the promo, then why didnt he speak up and say something about the fact the freebie was missing???  Instead he handed you the $5.00 ticket and said NOTHING?????

He had to cover up the fact he was trying to steal your freebie, so he asked the other clerk about the promo, and all they did was key in a $3.00 QP and hand it to you.  I'll bet that ticket shows a price of $3.00 on it, not $0.00. So he kept the freebie anyway, and probably told his boss that"The customer didnt want the $3.00 QP so I invalidated it and threw the ticket out."  That way the cash drawer wouldnt be $3.00 short. 

Can you sue him?  I dont know, but clearly what he did was fraudulent, so if he won a million (he didnt, nobody did) he could be arrested and sent to prison.  But how you'd find out what he did so you could report him to the cops, I dont know! 

Go with Grand Ma Jacal's numbers!  She's got the hot hand!  Yesterday I stopped to buy gas and get Take5. An old guy in front of me was buyin every online lottery game that you can play.  And he was plunkin down loads of cash for all them tickets too! It took forever for him to get his tickets.  Me and another guy behind me started laughin because another guy behind him said "If he wins big, he aint gonna live long enough to spend it all, and when his grand kids get their hands on all that money, they're gonna let it slip thru their fingers like shxx thru a goose!"

United States
                            Member #171
                            April 7, 2002
                            181 Posts
                            Posted: September 11, 2010, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

kapla, I didn't remember that 911 came out in 2002, and it almost came out again today, 951 came out mid-day, we'll see if 911 comes out this evening, I like your flag, God Bless America!

NY State
                              United States
                              Member #92609
                              June 10, 2010
                              3699 Posts
                              Posted: September 11, 2010, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

Ya know Jacal, I hate to be so cynical, but I definitely think you caught the clerk trying to scam you.  He's probably done it before to others.  Some people probably dont know about the promo, and therefore wouldnt know enough to say something about not getting their "3 free" ticket. Others might be too shy to speak up, and the clerk gets away with pocketing the freebie.  Remember, he see's everybody that plays.  I'll bet he's learned from experience that many people are unaware of the promo.

He absolutely knew you should have gotten a freebie, because he asked the other clerk "if the promo was still in effect". If he knew about the promo, then why didnt he speak up and say something about the fact the freebie was missing???  Instead he handed you the $5.00 ticket and said NOTHING?????

He had to cover up the fact he was trying to steal your freebie, so he asked the other clerk about the promo, and all they did was key in a $3.00 QP and hand it to you.  I'll bet that ticket shows a price of $3.00 on it, not $0.00. So he kept the freebie anyway, and probably told his boss that"The customer didnt want the $3.00 QP so I invalidated it and threw the ticket out."  That way the cash drawer wouldnt be $3.00 short. 

Can you sue him?  I dont know, but clearly what he did was fraudulent, so if he won a million (he didnt, nobody did) he could be arrested and sent to prison.  But how you'd find out what he did so you could report him to the cops, I dont know! 

Go with Grand Ma Jacal's numbers!  She's got the hot hand!  Yesterday I stopped to buy gas and get Take5. An old guy in front of me was buyin every online lottery game that you can play.  And he was plunkin down loads of cash for all them tickets too! It took forever for him to get his tickets.  Me and another guy behind me started laughin because another guy behind him said "If he wins big, he aint gonna live long enough to spend it all, and when his grand kids get their hands on all that money, they're gonna let it slip thru their fingers like shxx thru a goose!"

One other thing too....

Think about the time you first tried to buy the promo and found out you could only buy it on Monday's and Thursdays.  The promo itself is confusing to players, and the store clerks know it.  You dont think you were the first customer where the clerk had to explain that the promo was only good for five dollar tickets purchased on Monday or Thursday do you?  That same scene was probably played out many times, all over The State of New York.

Some customers may even be confused about what day of the week it is. Therefore they didnt realize they were entitled to the freebie if they spent five bucks on SM on Monday or Thursday. I think the clerks have seen so much of that, they know they can easily get away with stealing the freebie. And if many customers buy five bucks worth of SM, and the clerk doesnt hand the freebie to them, then the clerk will take home a thick stack of freebies, not just the one he stole from you.

Page 9 of 35