Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's with NY Sweet Million??

Topic closed. 516 replies. Last post 5 years ago by kapla.

Page 5 of 35
PrintE-mailLink
Long Island, NY
United States
Member #57412
January 3, 2008
419 Posts
Posted: August 9, 2010, 12:34 am - IP Logged

Finally, after 40 straight drawings without a jackpot winner, Sweet Millions produced a JP winner last night.  The last time a Sweet Millions JP was won was on March 18, 2010.

I have to believe the "Buy $5 and get $3 Free" promo had something to do with it.

The winner won with a QP.  I'd be interested in knowing if the winner bought $5, and won on one of the three Free QP's.

This win came from a store located at the Nassau Cty/Queens border.  I play there all the time.

For what this knowledge is worth....it is one of the top ten sales volume stores in all of NY state (yes;  the whole state).

This store sells an absolutely tremendous amount of tickets; many to lower income minorities who live in the area.  I will find out more info.  I was told tonight it was a lady who won.  I hope one of these poor folks has been blessed

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
    NY State
    United States
    Member #92609
    June 10, 2010
    3709 Posts
    Posted: August 9, 2010, 8:53 am - IP Logged

This win came from a store located at the Nassau Cty/Queens border.  I play there all the time.

For what this knowledge is worth....it is one of the top ten sales volume stores in all of NY state (yes;  the whole state).

This store sells an absolutely tremendous amount of tickets; many to lower income minorities who live in the area.  I will find out more info.  I was told tonight it was a lady who won.  I hope one of these poor folks has been blessed

How many lottery terminals does the store operate?

There's a beer store located in New York's Hudson Valley that operates two lottery terminals. It too sells a large volume of tickets mostly to African-Americans and Hispanics that live near the store. After normal working hours, on Wednesday's and Saturday's, (the days Lotto drawings are held) lines of people to both machines stretch from the counter to the back of the store.  It does not take a huge jackpot to generate those lines either.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
      Member #171
      April 7, 2002
      181 Posts
      Posted: August 9, 2010, 9:06 am - IP Logged

I suppose any racetrack with NY Lottery video machines will have a large volume of tickets sold also.

Long Island, NY
        United States
        Member #57412
        January 3, 2008
        419 Posts
        Posted: August 9, 2010, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

The store has five terminals.  Don't think you are understanding.....we are talking LARGE volume store.  They probably pump out more QP's and FP's than just about any store in NY (yes the whole state..think about how many places there are for you to play in NY)

Although, I have been asked to keep most of the info confidential, I will tell you that the lady won because she decided to take advantage of the current Sweet Millions promotion.

NY State
          United States
          Member #92609
          June 10, 2010
          3709 Posts
          Posted: August 10, 2010, 5:14 am - IP Logged

The store has five terminals.  Don't think you are understanding.....we are talking LARGE volume store.  They probably pump out more QP's and FP's than just about any store in NY (yes the whole state..think about how many places there are for you to play in NY)

Although, I have been asked to keep most of the info confidential, I will tell you that the lady won because she decided to take advantage of the current Sweet Millions promotion.

What was NOT to understand??  I asked how many terminals they have because that's the only way they can be a "LARGE volume store".  I never said the store didn't do big volume....

I was simply curious as to the number of terminals they have because the most I've ever seen in one store is two.  But then I dont live in the New York metro area either. 

Keep your head down when you go in that store Dirty!  You dont want one of those low flyin jets on final to JFK's runway 31L to knock yer block off!Jester Laugh

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

Long Island, NY
            United States
            Member #57412
            January 3, 2008
            419 Posts
            Posted: August 10, 2010, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

What was NOT to understand??  I asked how many terminals they have because that's the only way they can be a "LARGE volume store".  I never said the store didn't do big volume....

I was simply curious as to the number of terminals they have because the most I've ever seen in one store is two.  But then I dont live in the New York metro area either. 

Keep your head down when you go in that store Dirty!  You dont want one of those low flyin jets on final to JFK's runway 31L to knock yer block off!Jester Laugh

I happen to live fairly near another of the top ten stores (also on Long Island) and they have 5 or 6 terminals as well.

These outlets must store more cash than a bank at any given time.  Tons and tons of cash.  Im surprised robbers have not started to knock these over.....as you would a bank.   I'm sure (and hope!) they have security.

But frankly, any time I am in the Nassau/Queens store I'm always worried thugs will come in at any moment for a hold up.

Urban land at it's ugliest.

But they sure buy alot of Lottery tickets in these areasSmile

NY State
              United States
              Member #92609
              June 10, 2010
              3709 Posts
              Posted: August 10, 2010, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

I happen to live fairly near another of the top ten stores (also on Long Island) and they have 5 or 6 terminals as well.

These outlets must store more cash than a bank at any given time.  Tons and tons of cash.  Im surprised robbers have not started to knock these over.....as you would a bank.   I'm sure (and hope!) they have security.

But frankly, any time I am in the Nassau/Queens store I'm always worried thugs will come in at any moment for a hold up.

Urban land at it's ugliest.

But they sure buy alot of Lottery tickets in these areasSmile

I'm sure they do buy alot of lottery tickets in those areas.

It occurred to me that just as most JP winners are sold in the New York Metro area, I'm willing to bet that can be narrowed down even further to the big volume stores. I would think there has to be a few stores in Manhattan or Staten Island that do a similar volume.

How did you find out which stores were in the top ten?  I'm sure the NY Lottery knows where all the big volume stores are, but I'm inclined to believe they would be hesitant to reveal their locations.  There could be some big volume stores in Buffalo too.

I'm going upstate on Thursday, near The Finger Lakes. I'm gonna buy a few tickets up there, but I wont hold my breath.  They see a winner up there every once in a Blue Moon.  Conversely, I was in New Rochelle yesterday and bought a Take5 ticket.  I had two numbers, and missed two other numbers by one! Had I hit those two other numbers I would have won $566.50 instead of a FP.....

Long Island, NY
                United States
                Member #57412
                January 3, 2008
                419 Posts
                Posted: August 11, 2010, 1:48 am - IP Logged

Ya know, you get to chatting with vendors and you find out stuff.  I'm sure through volume (as is the case here) a store may produce multiple winners (as is the case with this store).....and as you might expect, are happy to let everyone know.  Signs are hanging up all over the store.

But I've seen QP Jackpot winners come out in the dingiest, little, rinky dink, crap hole stores (pick a type.... Liquor, Convienence, Gas etc....) too.

I used to have a quick pick strategy (funny term to me at this point as I always pick my own numbers for years now) that included buying QP tickets from both types of stores every day.

On the bright side, I scored two 3 of 5's in last nights Take 5.

NY State
                  United States
                  Member #92609
                  June 10, 2010
                  3709 Posts
                  Posted: August 11, 2010, 5:57 am - IP Logged

Ya know, you get to chatting with vendors and you find out stuff.  I'm sure through volume (as is the case here) a store may produce multiple winners (as is the case with this store).....and as you might expect, are happy to let everyone know.  Signs are hanging up all over the store.

But I've seen QP Jackpot winners come out in the dingiest, little, rinky dink, crap hole stores (pick a type.... Liquor, Convienence, Gas etc....) too.

I used to have a quick pick strategy (funny term to me at this point as I always pick my own numbers for years now) that included buying QP tickets from both types of stores every day.

On the bright side, I scored two 3 of 5's in last nights Take 5.

Congrats on the Take5 hits.

Best I can do lately is FP's, got one again last nite.

What's been bugging me is I've come very close to having 4 numbers on the same line so often.  I haven't checked to see how many times it's happened to me, but it's been enough for my daughter to say to me "That has happened to you alot."  She's home from college for the summer, so she doesnt see me play regularly and she could tell it's happened a lot. It happened the night before last, I won a FP and had two "one-offs" on the same line.

I pick my numbers too, but I sometimes do a partial QP or a QP. I've only been playing regularly since a year ago April.  I track the Take5 numbers and what numbers I play.  I know what numbers I played when, how much I've spent, how much I've won etc.  I havent won much and have spent 3 times more than what I've won.  But I like it, it's fun, and I've learned a TON from reading LP.  I dont hold my breath thinking I'll win a JP. If I do, great, but I realize I'll most like likely play for years and never hit one.  I play Take5 but maybe this Thursday when I go up to Geneseo I'll play Sweet Millions and buy the promo.

Good luck to you D&D....  I hope I get to see your smilin face on NY's website holding one of those oversize checks.

United States
                    Member #171
                    April 7, 2002
                    181 Posts
                    Posted: August 11, 2010, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

I researched big volume NY  lottery retailers a few months ago, and that info isn't on-line, but Queens is the winner when it comes to players winning the most money from lotteries and scratch-off tickets in NY.  and the Queens retailers who have given out the most money to players are listed.

I haven't been lucky the last few weeks on my tickets, not even close, one Sweet Million I purchased last month had 4 numbers, but no luck ever since. I've mostly been purchasing at retailers where big jackpots have been hit in the past, but I purchased most of my tickets this week at random in NYC when I was down there on Saturday, except of course for the Sweet Million promo, which I learned I can't buy ahead of time.  Sometimes I'll take a ride into NYC or the Bronx just to purchase tickets, since most of the winners are from Metro NY.

Yonkers has several stores where big jackpots were hit; McLean Ave (2 stores)., Yonkers Ave., Central Avenue, and Palmer Rd (1 big winner on NY Lotto and another store sold 1 recent winning scratch-off Win For Life ticket), are the locations that come to mind right now, I'm sure there were others. 

Did you even notice on those lottery winner shows on cable tv, that most of them purchased tickets at the gas station/convenience store type places?

Finger Lakes Gaming might be a good place to purchase tickets, it probably has better ticket volume than most places up there, good luck!

NY State
                      United States
                      Member #92609
                      June 10, 2010
                      3709 Posts
                      Posted: August 11, 2010, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

I researched big volume NY  lottery retailers a few months ago, and that info isn't on-line, but Queens is the winner when it comes to players winning the most money from lotteries and scratch-off tickets in NY.  and the Queens retailers who have given out the most money to players are listed.

I haven't been lucky the last few weeks on my tickets, not even close, one Sweet Million I purchased last month had 4 numbers, but no luck ever since. I've mostly been purchasing at retailers where big jackpots have been hit in the past, but I purchased most of my tickets this week at random in NYC when I was down there on Saturday, except of course for the Sweet Million promo, which I learned I can't buy ahead of time.  Sometimes I'll take a ride into NYC or the Bronx just to purchase tickets, since most of the winners are from Metro NY.

Yonkers has several stores where big jackpots were hit; McLean Ave (2 stores)., Yonkers Ave., Central Avenue, and Palmer Rd (1 big winner on NY Lotto and another store sold 1 recent winning scratch-off Win For Life ticket), are the locations that come to mind right now, I'm sure there were others. 

Did you even notice on those lottery winner shows on cable tv, that most of them purchased tickets at the gas station/convenience store type places?

Finger Lakes Gaming might be a good place to purchase tickets, it probably has better ticket volume than most places up there, good luck!

Yeah, I agree, gas station/convenience stores are where you'll find Lotto.  Seems like every Lotto Joint in the state is a Mobil On-The-Run kind of place.

Sometimes I look for an off the beaten path type of store to buy a ticket.  A privately owned "Mom & Pop" kind of place. Usually those kinds of places are where you'll find an owner who'll tell you little tidbits about the lottery that they know about because they're a lottery retailer.

About 15 years ago, my wifes brother once owned a discount beer store and applied to sell tickets, but they turned him down! The reason was his store was in a small shopping plaza and the pizza joint 3 doors down already had a terminal.  The funny thing is, today, the lottery doesnt care about "retailers being overly concentrated".  My brother in law told me that people would come in his store buy some beer and cigarettes and ask for lottery tickets. My brother in law told them that he didnt have Lotto, but the pizza guy did. They'd all say "Screw it!" and walk out, but they'd never walk down to the pizza joint to get a ticket!  Meanwhile, the pizza guy's business slowly died and he closed his store. Because my brother in law was in negotiations to sell his store at the time the pizza shop closed, he didnt bother to apply to become a lottery retailer.  The guy that bought my brother in laws business ran it straight into the ground, he never even inquired about selling lottery tickets!  My brother in law could only laugh after he sold the store because he predicted the new owner wouldnt make it.  He knew the guy he sold it to was a jerk.  He had to be, because my brother in law made a real good living from that store, and all the new owner did was loose money in it.

Long Island, NY
                        United States
                        Member #57412
                        January 3, 2008
                        419 Posts
                        Posted: August 11, 2010, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

I always make a point to detour to the worst areas I can find.  I am a road salesmen, so I get around.

One day, I had my wife waiting in the car while I ran in to one of the worst crap hole stores in a dangerous crime ridden area.

She was freakin out.  I told her "don't worry honey, just beep the horn if someone comes over to the car".  Think I pushed it a bit too far that dayUnhappy

NY State
                          United States
                          Member #92609
                          June 10, 2010
                          3709 Posts
                          Posted: August 13, 2010, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

I always make a point to detour to the worst areas I can find.  I am a road salesmen, so I get around.

One day, I had my wife waiting in the car while I ran in to one of the worst crap hole stores in a dangerous crime ridden area.

She was freakin out.  I told her "don't worry honey, just beep the horn if someone comes over to the car".  Think I pushed it a bit too far that dayUnhappy

You still married Dirty????

United States
                            Member #171
                            April 7, 2002
                            181 Posts
                            Posted: August 16, 2010, 11:03 am - IP Logged

I read that the Lottery machines bring the store owner additional revenue from the state and customers who come in to buy tickets will most likely purchase other items, that guy who bought your brother-in-law's store doesn't sound like the sharpest knife in the drawer!

Anyway, I picked my own numbers in SM Thursday's drawing and didn't do so well, not even on the Free $3, I used some strategy tips I read on-line which would have worked to get me at least 3 numbers, but I did't pick the right numbers.  The tip said pick one number from the prior drawing because it will usually repeat on SM, so I did, but I didn't pick the right one.  As a matter of fact, on Thursday, 2 numbers repeated from Monday's drawing. 9 and 32. Another tip was to pick at least one long shot, and I did, but the not the right one, it turns out two long shots came out, 6 and 13, both were on the cold and overdue lists.  I intentionally did not throw in my birthday (25), because I don't have much luck with that number, but it came out, much to my dismay!  I used some other criteria I read about, like how to play odd and even numbers and the total sum of all the numbers, and that strategy did work for Thursday's drawing, so I am encouraged that I might be on the right track here and feel more confident picking my own numbers now, instead of getting all quick picks all the time, the trouble is takes so long to figure out a few lines, never mind all five!

I have to finish cleaning my house now, then I will start my analyzation of SM numbers so I can pick my own numbers tonight, and then I have to decide which lottery retailer to patronize to get my $3 free, it's a good thing I live in NYC metro area where there is an endless number of lottery retailers, but it actually makes it harder to decide where to purchase the tickets, too many lottery store locations to choose from..

NY State
                              United States
                              Member #92609
                              June 10, 2010
                              3709 Posts
                              Posted: August 16, 2010, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

I read that the Lottery machines bring the store owner additional revenue from the state and customers who come in to buy tickets will most likely purchase other items, that guy who bought your brother-in-law's store doesn't sound like the sharpest knife in the drawer!

Anyway, I picked my own numbers in SM Thursday's drawing and didn't do so well, not even on the Free $3, I used some strategy tips I read on-line which would have worked to get me at least 3 numbers, but I did't pick the right numbers.  The tip said pick one number from the prior drawing because it will usually repeat on SM, so I did, but I didn't pick the right one.  As a matter of fact, on Thursday, 2 numbers repeated from Monday's drawing. 9 and 32. Another tip was to pick at least one long shot, and I did, but the not the right one, it turns out two long shots came out, 6 and 13, both were on the cold and overdue lists.  I intentionally did not throw in my birthday (25), because I don't have much luck with that number, but it came out, much to my dismay!  I used some other criteria I read about, like how to play odd and even numbers and the total sum of all the numbers, and that strategy did work for Thursday's drawing, so I am encouraged that I might be on the right track here and feel more confident picking my own numbers now, instead of getting all quick picks all the time, the trouble is takes so long to figure out a few lines, never mind all five!

I have to finish cleaning my house now, then I will start my analyzation of SM numbers so I can pick my own numbers tonight, and then I have to decide which lottery retailer to patronize to get my $3 free, it's a good thing I live in NYC metro area where there is an endless number of lottery retailers, but it actually makes it harder to decide where to purchase the tickets, too many lottery store locations to choose from..

I hate to tell ya this Jacal, but last Thursday I bought the SM promo and won six bucks!  I had 3 numbers on two lines on the $5 ticket.  Not only that, I had a total of 5 winning numbers on it!  The 9 appeared on both lines that won.  Had I had all five on the same line, I'd have hit for 500 buck-a-roo-ski's!

And........ I didn't analye nuthin either!!!  I just told the kid "Gmme a 5 dollar QP for tuh-nites SM."

I won up in Corning NY, I was on a road trip.  Didnt have much choice as to where I was gonna buy.  Just plugged in "Wegman's" in the GPS and let it take me to the store.

No JP winner again last Thursday, even with the promo.  NY State isnt gonna attract too many players with the SM prize tiers the way they have them set.  Five numbers is tough to get (18,815 to 1) and they wanna hand you 500 bucks??  It should be more like $2500.

Page 5 of 35