Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's with NY Sweet Million??

Topic closed. 516 replies. Last post 5 years ago by kapla.

Page 4 of 35
PrintE-mailLink
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
3693 Posts
Posted: July 20, 2010, 8:44 am - IP Logged

I keep getting three numbers in Sweet Million, the other three just don't want to match my ticket, but I'll keep trying.  Looking at the past short list of Sweet Million winners, I was surprised to learn one winning quick pick ticket was purchased at a lottery retailer a few minutes from my house, but I never go there to get tickets, maybe I should start!  I know of four lottery retailers close to my house where multi-millions have been won already, sometimes I go to those stores to get my tickets, lightening does strike twice sometimes, like today when the same house in my county that was struck by lightening last year, got struck my lightening again in today's storm, so it does happen.

When 1,2,3,4,5,6 comes out, you will see multiple winners in one game.

Yeah, 1 thru 6 will come out one day, and it will be BIG news all over the world.  Of course when it does

happen, we'll all be DEAD!

Lightening NOT striking in the same place twice is a myth. My brother used to own a house that sat on property where lightening strikes were common.  It hit the same tree in his front yard at least twice. He spoke with local fire department officials about it, and they told him "for years" the town he lived in was "in a valley or geographical area that was on a path taken by thunderstorms."  Other long time residents/neighbors confirmed that thunderstorms always hit that town when other towns nearby werent touched.  Their theory was it had something to do with the Catskill Mountains directly west of my brothers house, and the wind currents comming off them.  Who knows!!  My brother eventually moved, but other residents still living there say the thunderstorms still keep rolling thru.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
    Member #171
    April 7, 2002
    181 Posts
    Posted: July 20, 2010, 10:33 am - IP Logged

I finally broke my Sweet Million rut of matching only three numbers, in last night's game I matched four! I purchased it in a store that sold a multi-million NY Lottery ticket a few years back going on the theory that maybe lightening will strike twice.  The ironic thing about my winning ticket is the fact that I purchased three separate tickets and offered two out of three to my mom and her boyfriend,  I told them to pick any 2 out of the 3 tickets they wanted, but they had to leave ME the winning ticket, and sure enough, upon checking the numbers this morning, I had the only winning ticket out of the three, the numbers were 4,14,15,16,24,33, and I matched 15,16,24,33!  To think that I cut down my odds of winning even further by offering them 2 tickets and I won anyway, it goes to show you anyone can win, even with the odds stacked against them.

My brother was disappointed when I told him I was one of the 1,222 players who had four numbers last ight and won $40.00, he thought my winnings should be more for four numbers, but hey, I'll take it, this week I will be playing MM, PB, NY Lottery, and Sweet Million with other people's money instead of mine.

Maybe the large jackpot winning quick picks will keep rolling thru the same lottery retailers occasionally, because now that I have the correct info from you, I know that lightening not striking in the same place twice is a myth, so I will continue to patronize the lottery retailers in my area that paid out the biggest jackpot winners in the past, just in case the winning lottery currents blow their way again!

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
      Member #93164
      June 23, 2010
      1316 Posts
      Posted: July 20, 2010, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

I have never heard about Sweet Million. What is this game about?

United States
        Member #171
        April 7, 2002
        181 Posts
        Posted: July 20, 2010, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

Sweet Million was started in NY last year, the player picks numbers from 1 to 40,  3 matching numbers pays $3.00,  4 matching numbers pays $40.00, 5 matching numbers pays $500.00, and 6 matching numbers will get you $1 million, the jackpot does not roll over to the next drawing, and up to 5 winners in one game will be paid $1 million if their tickets hold six matching numbers.

ressuccess's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg

United States
          Member #93164
          June 23, 2010
          1316 Posts
          Posted: July 22, 2010, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

Wow. So Sweet Million will have a constant $1 million jackpot. What would be the payout and happen if there are more than 5 winners matching all 6 numbers from 1 to 40?

United States
            Member #94445
            July 20, 2010
            13 Posts
            Posted: July 24, 2010, 12:00 am - IP Logged

Simple.  1:4,000,000.  Thus, if 16m people play, 4 should win.  1m/4 = 250k.  After taxes: 100k.  big deal.  Better to win $150m instead and not share.

United States
              Member #171
              April 7, 2002
              181 Posts
              Posted: August 3, 2010, 10:39 am - IP Logged

The top prize of the Sweet Million game is not pari-mutuel, it is a
              fixed amount.  Therefore, the top prize does not roll.  However, in the
              event that there are more than 5 first prize winners, those winners will
              share $5,000,000 in proportion to the number of winners.

Paragraph above is New York Lottery's response to my inquiry regarding how the prize would be split among more than five first prize winners in one drawing.

August Sweet Million promotion is a player gets three Sweet Million tickets for free after they buy 5 tickets.

NY State
                United States
                Member #92609
                June 10, 2010
                3693 Posts
                Posted: August 3, 2010, 11:49 am - IP Logged

Paragraph above is New York Lottery's response to my inquiry regarding how the prize would be split among more than five first prize winners in one drawing.

August Sweet Million promotion is a player gets three Sweet Million tickets for free after they buy 5 tickets.

The August promo still isnt enough to get me to play Sweet Millions....

Lotto Extra was a good game in New York, but not many people played that either.  NY State pulled it about a month ago.  The thing I liked about it was they doubled the second place prize if you hit five numbers playing Extra. It was a buck a game as opposed to regular Lotto's two games for a buck.  Buying that "extra" ball reduced the odd's very nicely.

I saw on the NYS website that one Lotto Extra winner won $600,000 for a second place hit.  The second place prize had rolled to $300,000 but since the winner had played Extra, they bagged a 600K prize.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
                  Member #94616
                  July 24, 2010
                  4735 Posts
                  Posted: August 3, 2010, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Thats cool - so 5 people each could win $1mil then after that (more than 5 winners) they would share the $5mil.  

Ok, next step is to get *1* winner at least ONCE a month?  Is that asking too much?What?

then we can talk about more than one winner at a time.

NY State
                    United States
                    Member #92609
                    June 10, 2010
                    3693 Posts
                    Posted: August 6, 2010, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

The August promo still isnt enough to get me to play Sweet Millions....

Lotto Extra was a good game in New York, but not many people played that either.  NY State pulled it about a month ago.  The thing I liked about it was they doubled the second place prize if you hit five numbers playing Extra. It was a buck a game as opposed to regular Lotto's two games for a buck.  Buying that "extra" ball reduced the odd's very nicely.

I saw on the NYS website that one Lotto Extra winner won $600,000 for a second place hit.  The second place prize had rolled to $300,000 but since the winner had played Extra, they bagged a 600K prize.

Finally, after 40 straight drawings without a jackpot winner, Sweet Millions produced a JP winner last night.  The last time a Sweet Millions JP was won was on March 18, 2010.

I have to believe the "Buy $5 and get $3 Free" promo had something to do with it.

The winner won with a QP.  I'd be interested in knowing if the winner bought $5, and won on one of the three Free QP's.

United States
                      Member #171
                      April 7, 2002
                      181 Posts
                      Posted: August 6, 2010, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Yep, finally a Sweet Million winner from Nassau County, great news for the lucky winner (s)!  The $3 free promotion must have spiked up the sales and number of combinations to get a winner.

I bought the $5.00 Sweet Million quick pick for the $3 free and reduced my purchases of MM, PB, and Lotto for tonight and Sat.  to make up for spending more money on SM.

I had a terrible experience trying to purchase the Sweet Millon promo on Wednesday, I didn't realize the promo is only good for SM purchases on Mon. and Thursday.  I went to a lottery retailer on Wed. and asked for the $5.00 SM promo, $3.00 PB and $3.00 NY Lotto for Wed. night.  When I checked my SM ticket, the $3.00 Free lines were not there. After she waited on one other customer, I asked her if she forgot my "3 free lines",  she said no, and that I would need to purchase the SM promo on Thursday!   I told her I wanted my $5.00 back and I would give her back the SM ticket, but she refused, saying she could not cancel it in the computer.  I told her that I asked for the "SM promo" before I purchased my ticket and she should have told me that I needed to purchase it on Thursday before I paid for it, at first she said she didn't hear me, but then she changed her tune and told me three times that I never said it, so I told her that's the reason I asked for the SM ticked first, to make sure I didn't forget to ask for the promo, and showed her the order of the tickets she just gave me. I was really upset at this point, because now she is calling me a liar, so I asked to speak to her manager, but at the point she returned my $5.00 and took the ticket back.

On Tuesday, the day before the SM fiasco, I experienced another lottery retailer mistake, I asked for my Mega Millions tickets and figured I would change it to 26 annual payments instead of getting cash value this time, but he gave me cash value anyway, but I let it go and didn't ask for new quick picks.

I wrote to the New York Lottery and inquired about how lottery retailers mistakes are supposed to be handled just in case I run into lottery retailer mistakes again, I didn't receive a response yet.

United States
                        Member #94616
                        July 24, 2010
                        4735 Posts
                        Posted: August 6, 2010, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

Finally, after 40 straight drawings without a jackpot winner, Sweet Millions produced a JP winner last night.  The last time a Sweet Millions JP was won was on March 18, 2010.

I have to believe the "Buy $5 and get $3 Free" promo had something to do with it.

The winner won with a QP.  I'd be interested in knowing if the winner bought $5, and won on one of the three Free QP's.

I agree.  Now lets see if we can get more than ONE winner at a time!!!

NY State
                          United States
                          Member #92609
                          June 10, 2010
                          3693 Posts
                          Posted: August 6, 2010, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

Yep, finally a Sweet Million winner from Nassau County, great news for the lucky winner (s)!  The $3 free promotion must have spiked up the sales and number of combinations to get a winner.

I bought the $5.00 Sweet Million quick pick for the $3 free and reduced my purchases of MM, PB, and Lotto for tonight and Sat.  to make up for spending more money on SM.

I had a terrible experience trying to purchase the Sweet Millon promo on Wednesday, I didn't realize the promo is only good for SM purchases on Mon. and Thursday.  I went to a lottery retailer on Wed. and asked for the $5.00 SM promo, $3.00 PB and $3.00 NY Lotto for Wed. night.  When I checked my SM ticket, the $3.00 Free lines were not there. After she waited on one other customer, I asked her if she forgot my "3 free lines",  she said no, and that I would need to purchase the SM promo on Thursday!   I told her I wanted my $5.00 back and I would give her back the SM ticket, but she refused, saying she could not cancel it in the computer.  I told her that I asked for the "SM promo" before I purchased my ticket and she should have told me that I needed to purchase it on Thursday before I paid for it, at first she said she didn't hear me, but then she changed her tune and told me three times that I never said it, so I told her that's the reason I asked for the SM ticked first, to make sure I didn't forget to ask for the promo, and showed her the order of the tickets she just gave me. I was really upset at this point, because now she is calling me a liar, so I asked to speak to her manager, but at the point she returned my $5.00 and took the ticket back.

On Tuesday, the day before the SM fiasco, I experienced another lottery retailer mistake, I asked for my Mega Millions tickets and figured I would change it to 26 annual payments instead of getting cash value this time, but he gave me cash value anyway, but I let it go and didn't ask for new quick picks.

I wrote to the New York Lottery and inquired about how lottery retailers mistakes are supposed to be handled just in case I run into lottery retailer mistakes again, I didn't receive a response yet.

You'll get a response to your question, and when you do, please post it. It's my understanding the retailer should  take the ticket back no questions asked.  They then have the option of trying to sell or cancel it.  I did not get that info from the NY State Lottery, so it may not be correct. 

I once had a retailer lie to me, implying there was a system wide outage and that she couldn't sell me a ticket, nor could any other retailer. I suspected she was full of it, but at the immediate moment, I couldnt prove it.  This happened at a supermarket customer service desk.  The customer ahead of me and the clerk were in a heated conversation over something when I arrived at the desk.  This went on for a few more minutes, and finally the customer got fed up and left in a huff.  When I asked for my ticket, the still aggitated clerk snapped at me "The system's down. Nobody can sell tickets until the system is back up."  I just shrugged and left.  A short while later I stopped in a gas station and bought a ticket.  Since the clerk ran my ticket thru so quickly, I asked him if the system had been down at all that day.  "Nope" was his answer. 

I havent bought the SM promo, but my thinking is that you should have received two tickets, one with five lines with a price of $5.00 printed on it, and a free ticket ($0.00) with three QP lines.  But why buying a SM promo ticket on Wednesday makes an ounce of difference is beyond me.  I appreciate the fact that the drawings are only held on Monday and Thursday, but if the state is saying you must buy the promo on the day the drawing is held, then they're dumber than I thought they were!!!

United States
                            Member #171
                            April 7, 2002
                            181 Posts
                            Posted: August 7, 2010, 7:53 am - IP Logged

You'll get a response to your question, and when you do, please post it. It's my understanding the retailer should  take the ticket back no questions asked.  They then have the option of trying to sell or cancel it.  I did not get that info from the NY State Lottery, so it may not be correct. 

I once had a retailer lie to me, implying there was a system wide outage and that she couldn't sell me a ticket, nor could any other retailer. I suspected she was full of it, but at the immediate moment, I couldnt prove it.  This happened at a supermarket customer service desk.  The customer ahead of me and the clerk were in a heated conversation over something when I arrived at the desk.  This went on for a few more minutes, and finally the customer got fed up and left in a huff.  When I asked for my ticket, the still aggitated clerk snapped at me "The system's down. Nobody can sell tickets until the system is back up."  I just shrugged and left.  A short while later I stopped in a gas station and bought a ticket.  Since the clerk ran my ticket thru so quickly, I asked him if the system had been down at all that day.  "Nope" was his answer. 

I havent bought the SM promo, but my thinking is that you should have received two tickets, one with five lines with a price of $5.00 printed on it, and a free ticket ($0.00) with three QP lines.  But why buying a SM promo ticket on Wednesday makes an ounce of difference is beyond me.  I appreciate the fact that the drawings are only held on Monday and Thursday, but if the state is saying you must buy the promo on the day the drawing is held, then they're dumber than I thought they were!!!

When you purchase the SM promo, you get two tickets the same way as you posted it.

I purchased my SM promo ticket at a "NY Lottery Headquarters" where the employees SHOULD know what they are doing regarding retailer mistakes and returning tickets in error.

I partly blame the NY Lottery for my confusion about the purchase day of the SM promotion, because the computer screen advertisement for the SM promotion next to the retailer says Monday and Thursday, but I assumed the ad meant that the drawings are held on Mon. and Thurs., not that the SM promo must be purchased on Mon. and Thurs., the ad does not specifically say that.  In my e-mail to the NY Lottery I mentioned the confusion I had over the ad, so let's see what their response is to everything, I will certainly post it here.

I don't like the fact that I have to get the $5.00 SM quick pick all on one ticket to qualify for the $3 Free.  On my ticket, four lines had the number 4 on them, and number 4 was never picked Thursday night, so those four lines were eliminated for a chance at the million ,that's why I always ask for single tickets when I purchase $5.00 quick picks for any game, I always find that there are less repeat numbers on five single tickets, and a retailer I know told me this is true.  I feel my chances of winning are better without repeated numbers on the lines.  If I purchase the SM promo on Monday, I will fill out the card and pick my own numbers on four lines and get the other four lines from the lottery (1 QP on the card and the $3 free).

After all this grief over my SM promo ticket, the winner from Nassau County got my 5 bucks anyway after I purchased my SM promo at another retailer on Thursday (lol) !!!!!

P.S.  It's tough sometimes trying to decide whether to complain to a manager about their employee, but since you didn't lose any money when the clerk lied you to, I wouldn't have complained to the manager because it seems the clerk might have been upset over the other customer, but that's no reason to inconvenience you.

NY State
                              United States
                              Member #92609
                              June 10, 2010
                              3693 Posts
                              Posted: August 7, 2010, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

When you purchase the SM promo, you get two tickets the same way as you posted it.

I purchased my SM promo ticket at a "NY Lottery Headquarters" where the employees SHOULD know what they are doing regarding retailer mistakes and returning tickets in error.

I partly blame the NY Lottery for my confusion about the purchase day of the SM promotion, because the computer screen advertisement for the SM promotion next to the retailer says Monday and Thursday, but I assumed the ad meant that the drawings are held on Mon. and Thurs., not that the SM promo must be purchased on Mon. and Thurs., the ad does not specifically say that.  In my e-mail to the NY Lottery I mentioned the confusion I had over the ad, so let's see what their response is to everything, I will certainly post it here.

I don't like the fact that I have to get the $5.00 SM quick pick all on one ticket to qualify for the $3 Free.  On my ticket, four lines had the number 4 on them, and number 4 was never picked Thursday night, so those four lines were eliminated for a chance at the million ,that's why I always ask for single tickets when I purchase $5.00 quick picks for any game, I always find that there are less repeat numbers on five single tickets, and a retailer I know told me this is true.  I feel my chances of winning are better without repeated numbers on the lines.  If I purchase the SM promo on Monday, I will fill out the card and pick my own numbers on four lines and get the other four lines from the lottery (1 QP on the card and the $3 free).

After all this grief over my SM promo ticket, the winner from Nassau County got my 5 bucks anyway after I purchased my SM promo at another retailer on Thursday (lol) !!!!!

P.S.  It's tough sometimes trying to decide whether to complain to a manager about their employee, but since you didn't lose any money when the clerk lied you to, I wouldn't have complained to the manager because it seems the clerk might have been upset over the other customer, but that's no reason to inconvenience you.

Although QP's yeild the most jackpot winners, I'm not a fan of them and I dont usually buy them.  I once got a Take5 Free Play with 4 numbers in sequence.  Prior to that, I had sent an "Ask the Lottery" E-mail to them asking if there was ever a drawing where 5 numbers in sequence were drawn in the entire history of Take5.  (Their answer was it has never happened.)  I then sent a second e-mail asking if 4 numbers in  sequence had ever been drawn in the same drawing.  They answered that it had happened 3 or 4 times. (I cant remember if they said it happened three times or four times.)

I know you can do a "partial" QP in Take5, but I dont know about SM.  In Take5, to buy a partial QP, you mark the QP box and then you mark up to 4 numbers.  If you mark just one number, the machine will assign you the other 4. If you mark 2, the machine chooses the other 3 etc.  You might want to try it with SM.

The SM promo makes no sense to me.  Why does NY care if you buy the promo on a Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday or Saturday?  I was confused by their advertisements too! Even on their website the promo ad's look to me as if they are saying the drawings are held on Monday and Thursday! 

It's too bad, because as NY says, the game does have the best odd's to win a million dollars. But there must be a reason why  people dont buy SM tix.  NY can make the ticket sales go up by using  promo's and TV advertising, but once the promo is over, I think you'll see the long string of "No jackpot winner" return.

Page 4 of 35