Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's with NY Sweet Million??

Topic closed. 516 replies. Last post 5 years ago by kapla.

Page 13 of 35
PrintE-mailLink
GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
NY State
United States
Member #92609
June 10, 2010
3823 Posts
Posted: October 1, 2010, 10:55 am - IP Logged

I went back in this thread and re-read the e-mail Jacal got from the NY Lottery regarding a dearth of JP winners for SM.  They said "which means we are only experiencing coverage of less than 8%
of the total possible number combinations that can be drawn (3,838,380)." 

Here's my re-phrasing of that statement: "which means we are selling less than 8% of the total possible lines  that can be drawn (3,838,380)."  That also means that greater than 92% of the total possible number of lines that can be sold, (3,838,380) go unsold.  Think about what that would look like displayed in a pie graph. They are selling approximately 307,070 lines out of 3,838,380.  3,531,309 lines go unsold.

The people have spoken as to what they think about Sweet Million.

September 30, 2010 Sweet Million Winning Numbers:
7 - 23 - 24 - 30 - 33 - 35

Prize
Level
Numbers
Matched
Prize
Amount
No. of
Winners
First6 out of 6$1,000,000.000
Second5 out of 6$500.0045
Third4 out of 6$40.001,636
Fourth3 out of 6$3.0022,878

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
    Member #94616
    July 24, 2010
    4735 Posts
    Posted: October 1, 2010, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

Good question.

It might be the last SM promo day.  It's obvious to me that even with the promo, not enough lines were sold to produce more JP winner's.  I think the state is aware they have a problem with sales of SM. I think their goal was to sell enough tickets to produce more JP winners with the hope of that generating more player interest in the game.

There was one JP winner in August and hasnt been one since.  The last JP win prior to the August win was on March 18th. The game has been around just over a year and only about 9 or 10 JP's have been won.

I dont know why players didnt take to the game.  Maybe it was the lower tier prize structure, maybe it's the recession. (Although ticket sales tend to increase during an economic slow down.) I know when the game first started, there was an initial "rush" by regular players to buy SM tickets.  It soon died down though.

The Sweet Millions promo ad has been replaced by a - BUY $10 of Mega and get $2 free (must be on one ticket & only on Tuesdays & Fridays) - no thanks!  

I never hit anything on Mega. 

This promo is good for GROUPS (office pools) that play alot of numbers.

NY State
      United States
      Member #92609
      June 10, 2010
      3823 Posts
      Posted: October 1, 2010, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

I went back in this thread and re-read the e-mail Jacal got from the NY Lottery regarding a dearth of JP winners for SM.  They said "which means we are only experiencing coverage of less than 8%
      of the total possible number combinations that can be drawn (3,838,380)." 

Here's my re-phrasing of that statement: "which means we are selling less than 8% of the total possible lines  that can be drawn (3,838,380)."  That also means that greater than 92% of the total possible number of lines that can be sold, (3,838,380) go unsold.  Think about what that would look like displayed in a pie graph. They are selling approximately 307,070 lines out of 3,838,380.  3,531,309 lines go unsold.

The people have spoken as to what they think about Sweet Million.

September 30, 2010 Sweet Million Winning Numbers:
      7 - 23 - 24 - 30 - 33 - 35

Prize
      Level
      Numbers
      Matched
      Prize
      Amount
      No. of
      Winners
      First6 out of 6$1,000,000.000
      Second5 out of 6$500.0045
      Third4 out of 6$40.001,636
      Fourth3 out of 6$3.0022,878

While I wouldnt expect any lottery game to sell out all possible lines/combinations for most drawings, there must be a certain number of lines sold that allows state lottery officials to feel confident that a JP will be won.

I wonder what that amount of lines/combo's is?  I would think that the percentage of lines sold would have to exceed 50% of all posssible lines before officials would become confident someone will win a JP.  But that's just a wild guess.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

United States
        Member #94616
        July 24, 2010
        4735 Posts
        Posted: October 4, 2010, 4:38 am - IP Logged

Now watch, the promo is over and I am not playing unless I hit the 3way first - my numbers will come out! 

Elmont.NY
          United States
          Member #91803
          May 25, 2010
          439 Posts
          Posted: October 5, 2010, 11:22 am - IP Logged

Is SM set up that there is two winners a year,when will it end its a game that seem to have NO ODDS of winning,give at least 1 winner a month or let us know who in Albany is having a GREAT time on our Dime again(the envelope under the table or Truck)

United States
            Member #171
            April 7, 2002
            181 Posts
            Posted: October 6, 2010, 7:37 am - IP Logged

Is SM set up that there is two winners a year,when will it end its a game that seem to have NO ODDS of winning,give at least 1 winner a month or let us know who in Albany is having a GREAT time on our Dime again(the envelope under the table or Truck)

It's certainly disheartening that there have been few million dollar winners, but that still doesn't change the fact that the odds are 1 out of 3 million to win, much better odds to win a million than the other lottery games.  Do you really care of the money goes to education (when there is no big winner) or another sweet million player who hits the six numbers, as long as you have better odds to win a million with SM than the other games offer?

Anyway, a few people I know won over 60 thousand last night on the NY Pick 4 mid-day number 1029.  I played 1025, that's my birthday this month, I just missed it.  Maybe thats the way to go, play Pick 4, make a $100/$50 bet once/twice a month and a winning straight number will get you $500,000/$250,00 with 10,000 to 1 odds, and just play $1.00 each on SM and the jackpot games all month.

I won nothing at the Borgata in AC, an old lady next to me won $250.00 on the Wheel of Fortune slot machine.  I played Bingo and the guy next to me  realized he didn't mark a called number on his card a few seconds after the game was closed, but the Borgata wouldn't give him any money, so he screwed himself out of $250, the $500 prize for that game went to one person, instead of being a split pot with two players.

Elmont.NY
              United States
              Member #91803
              May 25, 2010
              439 Posts
              Posted: October 6, 2010, 8:19 am - IP Logged

It's certainly disheartening that there have been few million dollar winners, but that still doesn't change the fact that the odds are 1 out of 3 million to win, much better odds to win a million than the other lottery games.  Do you really care of the money goes to education (when there is no big winner) or another sweet million player who hits the six numbers, as long as you have better odds to win a million with SM than the other games offer?

Anyway, a few people I know won over 60 thousand last night on the NY Pick 4 mid-day number 1029.  I played 1025, that's my birthday this month, I just missed it.  Maybe thats the way to go, play Pick 4, make a $100/$50 bet once/twice a month and a winning straight number will get you $500,000/$250,00 with 10,000 to 1 odds, and just play $1.00 each on SM and the jackpot games all month.

I won nothing at the Borgata in AC, an old lady next to me won $250.00 on the Wheel of Fortune slot machine.  I played Bingo and the guy next to me  realized he didn't mark a called number on his card a few seconds after the game was closed, but the Borgata wouldn't give him any money, so he screwed himself out of $250, the $500 prize for that game went to one person, instead of being a split pot with two players.

Its great if the money goes to education Im all for it,but lets be for real the odds for winning SW  suppose to be better.I have been playing the lottery for over 25 years,so I do know how to lose gracefully.I would love to see the money trail on how the it gets into the Board of Education and is spent and please I would hate to see .25 goes to adminstrative expenese and unknown POCKETS!!!!!!!Lets be real.

NY State
                United States
                Member #92609
                June 10, 2010
                3823 Posts
                Posted: October 6, 2010, 9:03 am - IP Logged

That's the crazy thing.... People's logic escapes me!!  They wont play SM because not many JP's are won.

But, does anyone really care about the OTHER GUY who won SM?  NO!!  You only care about YOU winning SM!!!

For instance, if Jacal wins SM, I'll certainly congradulate her, but frankly and honestly speaking, I'd wish it was ME that won it!  If a total stranger wins, that means nothing to anybody other than to the guy who won the JP. 

All I care about is if I win. All you care about, is if you win. Therefore it shouldnt matter to anyone if there arent too many JP winners. 

The odds of winning SM are better than most lottery games, therfore people should play it. But they dont because nobody wins the JP. That just makes it even harder for a JP to be won because even fewer lines will be sold. 

IMHO players shouldnt focus on the fact that not many JP's have been won. They should focus on the fact that the odds are better than usually found with other games and play SM!

United States
                  Member #171
                  April 7, 2002
                  181 Posts
                  Posted: October 6, 2010, 9:06 am - IP Logged

I agree with everything you posted.  My niece won some college money from a New York Lottery scholarship fund a few years ago.  The New York Lottery web-sitet gives dollar amounts on how much went to scholarships for NY students, but I don't know if the rest of the money is accounted for on the web-site.

Elmont.NY
                    United States
                    Member #91803
                    May 25, 2010
                    439 Posts
                    Posted: October 6, 2010, 10:21 am - IP Logged

I guess at this point all we could do now is come up with some winning numbers so we can win this game called SM!!!

Because what happens is still going to happen.

NY State
                      United States
                      Member #92609
                      June 10, 2010
                      3823 Posts
                      Posted: October 6, 2010, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

I guess at this point all we could do now is come up with some winning numbers so we can win this game called SM!!!

Because what happens is still going to happen.

You're correct, people arent going to change how they feel about there not being many SM JP's being won. But that really has no bearing whether or not someone will win a JP in the future.

Elmont.NY
                        United States
                        Member #91803
                        May 25, 2010
                        439 Posts
                        Posted: October 6, 2010, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

You're correct, people arent going to change how they feel about there not being many SM JP's being won. But that really has no bearing whether or not someone will win a JP in the future.

GiveFive what are the winning numbers?Here's my three 20,23,24 Ill wait for your three.We got to make it happen?

NY State
                          United States
                          Member #92609
                          June 10, 2010
                          3823 Posts
                          Posted: October 6, 2010, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

GiveFive what are the winning numbers?Here's my three 20,23,24 Ill wait for your three.We got to make it happen?

I give you 3 numbers Fast, but I dont focus on SM like I do Take5..  here's my bets shot at 'em: 5 17 & 34.

So combined we have 5 17 20 23 24 34

Elmont.NY
                            United States
                            Member #91803
                            May 25, 2010
                            439 Posts
                            Posted: October 6, 2010, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

I give you 3 numbers Fast, but I dont focus on SM like I do Take5..  here's my bets shot at 'em: 5 17 & 34.

So combined we have 5 17 20 23 24 34

Same here have been playing take-5 ever since it came out won 2nd prize about 6 times not 1st prize yet,thanks for the three numbers will play them for Thursday.GOOD LUCK

United States
                              Member #171
                              April 7, 2002
                              181 Posts
                              Posted: October 7, 2010, 6:19 am - IP Logged

http://www.smartluck.com/free-lottery-tips/newyork-sweet-million-640.htm

You guys might be interested in the link above since you are looking for SM numbers to play.

Good Luck!

Page 13 of 35