Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 146 of 182
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #147165
September 24, 2013
507 Posts
Posted: September 18, 2014, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Instead of buying a $10 scratcher, try this instead:

Spend $10 on 10 Daily 3 tickets with straight bet, identical numbers on each ticket.

You have 1/1000 chance of winning $5000 tax free ($500 typical Daily 3 prize times 10)

There is more to consider with the Daily 3, it is pari-mutuel with a 50% pot payout. Hence the most common number sequence will result in a less prize. Also since the prize money is split, the 10 shares will bring down the winning amount for each. Sometimes each prize can be more than $599 which will require tax reporting.

I remember triples such as 777 or even 123 paid out less than $200.

The majority of other states offer fixed prizes, however if their computer systems generate 1-2-3 for Pick 3 or 1-2-3-4 for Pick 4, it will be their worst nightmare.

United States
    Member #159129
    September 14, 2014
    8 Posts
    Posted: September 18, 2014, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

What about fantasy five? Instead of buying a $10 or $20 scratcher, put that into a fantasy five drawing. 

More chances of hitting something.

Bay Area, California
      United States
      Member #154225
      April 8, 2014
      49 Posts
      Posted: September 18, 2014, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

What about fantasy five? Instead of buying a $10 or $20 scratcher, put that into a fantasy five drawing. 

More chances of hitting something.

Fantasy 5 will have worse odds than Daily 3 unless you match 5 of 5 numbers at some point in your life. The reason is that most of the prize money goes to funding the top prize which you are unlikely to win. Daily 3 has more realistic odds that you can actually expect to win at least once in your life.

my point was that compared to scratchers, Daily 3 could be an interesting alternative. Take a look at the odds of winning $5000 on a scratcher. The $10 scratcher with the best odds of winning $5000 is the California Millionaire's Club at 1 in 195,000. Other games are much higher. So playing my Daily 3 strategy would give you much better odds at a medium size prize.

You can also add 1 Fantasy 5 ticket so you have the chance to win a larger prize in addition to the  ten Daily 3 prizes and you are still only spending $11. 

Instead of only buying scratchers I will be trying things like this to make the lottery more interesting.

Santa Barbara
        United States
        Member #154772
        April 28, 2014
        95 Posts
        Posted: September 19, 2014, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

Fantasy 5 will have worse odds than Daily 3 unless you match 5 of 5 numbers at some point in your life. The reason is that most of the prize money goes to funding the top prize which you are unlikely to win. Daily 3 has more realistic odds that you can actually expect to win at least once in your life.

my point was that compared to scratchers, Daily 3 could be an interesting alternative. Take a look at the odds of winning $5000 on a scratcher. The $10 scratcher with the best odds of winning $5000 is the California Millionaire's Club at 1 in 195,000. Other games are much higher. So playing my Daily 3 strategy would give you much better odds at a medium size prize.

You can also add 1 Fantasy 5 ticket so you have the chance to win a larger prize in addition to the  ten Daily 3 prizes and you are still only spending $11. 

Instead of only buying scratchers I will be trying things like this to make the lottery more interesting.

My very first Lottery win was on a Daily 3 ticket when I was like 15. A neighbor asked me to play go to the store and play her numbers. I said what the heck and played a ticket myself.

United States
          Member #147165
          September 24, 2013
          507 Posts
          Posted: September 23, 2014, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

Out of the blue I had a craving to play some scratchers last night.

The kiosk was out of Million $$ Match and the new $10 Millionaire Club game, but they had some $5mil Jackpot tickets remaining.

I bought 3 - #13 - 15, and only won TICKET on #13. Redeemed it right away for #16 and got ten $10 matches for $100.

Bay Area, California
            United States
            Member #154225
            April 8, 2014
            49 Posts
            Posted: September 24, 2014, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

I stopped by circle K this morning and the lottery terminal said "a scratchers prize of $17,000 was won in (my city) September 23rd." 

Is it possible to win $17,000 from a scratcher?

Scratch$'s avatar - sm lottery.jpg

United States
              Member #158848
              September 5, 2014
              294 Posts
              Posted: September 24, 2014, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

I stopped by circle K this morning and the lottery terminal said "a scratchers prize of $17,000 was won in (my city) September 23rd." 

Does the California Lottery official website list winners? That's the first place I would look.

Scratchers ~ Cash 5 ~ Powerball ~ Mega Millions

United States
                Member #147165
                September 24, 2013
                507 Posts
                Posted: September 24, 2014, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

It is possible, the $2 game Rock Star 7's top prize

United States
                  Member #158298
                  August 18, 2014
                  14 Posts
                  Posted: September 25, 2014, 12:41 am - IP Logged

If any of yall won the 10$ Lucky Life grand prize and ended up taking the lump sum of I believe it was 3.75 million, would you still continue to buy scratchers or no?

United States
                    Member #147165
                    September 24, 2013
                    507 Posts
                    Posted: September 25, 2014, 2:37 am - IP Logged

If any of yall won the 10$ Lucky Life grand prize and ended up taking the lump sum of I believe it was 3.75 million, would you still continue to buy scratchers or no?

I'd still play casually like I do now, but I will take the weekly prize since the annual amount is not at the highest federal tax bracket amount.

No one has claimed a top prize even after all these months while the $1, $2, and $5 ones had winners. It is due for 2 top prizes. The $10 LL could be a scam.

Another Powerball winner in NorCal tonight. I got 10 QP and only 1 matched with a Powerball.

San Gabriel, CA
                      United States
                      Member #134310
                      October 24, 2012
                      85 Posts
                      Posted: September 25, 2014, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

Tried some of the new $5 20X tickets. Bought 9 tickets and got one free ticket and a 10X match with $1.00 under it

Also bought one of the new $2 Zombie tickets and lost.

United States
                        Member #158298
                        August 18, 2014
                        14 Posts
                        Posted: September 25, 2014, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

What happens if god forbid you take the weekly prize and then tommorow you pass away? Doesnt that mean you arent paid anymore of the remaining prize.

Whereas if you took the lump sum you at least have some of the top prize available.

Bay Area, California
                          United States
                          Member #154225
                          April 8, 2014
                          49 Posts
                          Posted: September 25, 2014, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

What happens if god forbid you take the weekly prize and then tommorow you pass away? Doesnt that mean you arent paid anymore of the remaining prize.

Whereas if you took the lump sum you at least have some of the top prize available.

The remainder of the prize goes to your heirs, but its true if you die too early you would not be able to spend much of your winnings.

I would always take the lump sum, so I could buy a house in cash right away.

United States
                            Member #147165
                            September 24, 2013
                            507 Posts
                            Posted: September 25, 2014, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

Good concern you brought up.

In that event, the jackpot payments will go towards the people/beneficiaries specified on your will (if you make one) but they have to pay inheritence tax for the FULL REMAINING amount along with the winner's current estate worth, not year to year basis.

They would have to take another private loan to pay off the IRS immediately and use the incoming jackpot money to pay off that loan over time.

Powerball, Mega Millions, and SuperLotto Plus winners are advised of this, so most of them take the lump payment. If the winner passes away, the beneficiaries can pay off the inheritence tax using the lump money they will get.

I learned this from calling 1-800-GAMBLER, they try to urge you that winning the big prize is not as great as it is set out to be when the ultimate winner is Uncle Sam.

United States
                              Member #159129
                              September 14, 2014
                              8 Posts
                              Posted: September 25, 2014, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Again in another small town's vicinity in NorCal huh. The 5/5 PB was also won in Fresno.

I don't know when the PB is going to start hitting spots all over SoCal. I do believe that there is more lottery player activity in SoCal. There is SD , LA and OC ..

The folks who won most likely were on a busy schedule with errands and stopped at the store for a soda etc, no intentions of playing the lottery and ask the cashier how much is the powerball and decide to buy that $2 winning ticket. And on top of that, they "rarely" play the lottery once or twice a year. LOL just a joke out of pure speculation.

Anyways, another grand prize for the $10 CA Black Exclusive scratcher was marked down.

Page 146 of 182