Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 152 of 182
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #147165
September 24, 2013
507 Posts
Posted: October 24, 2014, 2:47 am - IP Logged

Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say that the requirements to be considered a Lucky Retailer has been lowered this year. On the website there will be more retailers popping up as a Lucky Retailer.

Prior to the change, a Lucky Retailer is a retailer that has sold at least 2 $1 million prizes in the form of draw games or scratchers. Now it is a retailer that sold at least 1 $100,000 prize or average $4000 a week in prizes or 400 winning tickets.

http://www.calottery.com/lucky-retailers/lucky-retailers-list

Before the $1 million scratcher top prize became common in 2009, that list was very short with Bluebird at the top. Yeah this whole lucky retailer is all supersititon that people choose to believe where you could go anywhere else and quickly buy your numbers.

What you described is the trend in lottery jackpot games.

Before Powerball got introduced to California in April 2013, there was a huge frenzy whenever MegaMillions reached $150+ million in jackpot. That is because the odds of winning the jackpot in MM at the time was 1 in 175 million, so people thought when the jackpot went that high it was going to be a positive expectation game (no house edge, usually lottery has 40-50% edge). And it will keep spiking until a winner hits, still remembering that $656 million from June 2012.

People are willing to buy tickets, even those who do not gamble avidly, when the jackpot is high. Even the 1 or 2 ticket buyers add up very quickly.

Powerball changed its structure the year before it reached California. Raising the starting point but more importantly, guaranteeing an increase of $10 million for each rollover draws without a jackpot winner. To accomodate for this, they went from $1 to $2 a ticket. With the jackpots growing to over $100million more often than people, people will buy the tickets.

MegaMillion adapted to the trend by creating a tougher matrix, 1-75 and 1-15 mega, while keeping the ticket to $1 (very very important move)

No one has to tell me and I can easily say MegaMillion has been the more superior game than Powerball in California. MegaMillion offers many winnable lower tier prizes despite the higher odds to win the jackpot, where Powerball rewards people with $4 or $7 or $100, or even less with the pari-mutuel system enforced by the government. Now the CALottery has to introduce the 2 SuperLotto/2 Powerball tickets for $5 for the second time, both of those games are struggling in sales.

Santa Barbara
    United States
    Member #154772
    April 28, 2014
    95 Posts
    Posted: October 24, 2014, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

DGinElMonte, can you tell us how your gross annual lottery sales compare to winning tickets sold from your store?  One of my local lottery retailers no longer sells lottery tickets.  He said that even though he was doing 300K in annual lottery sales no one was winning so it wasn't worth it for him to continue.

El Monte
      United States
      Member #160216
      October 22, 2014
      62 Posts
      Posted: October 25, 2014, 1:40 am - IP Logged

Hi Rudeboy805,  What kind of a store was it?

This is actually pretty hard to quantify, since many customers don't always return to my shop to cash their winners.   But if the reaction of new customers walking into my shop is any indication, I would say our avg winning ticket is pretty high relative to our sales.  But you have to take into account the volume that we sell as well.  We stopped displaying $100 winners about 5 years ago because we get too many of those.  The only exception are new games that have only been out a short time.   

If your local lottery retailer really was grossing 300k in annual lottery sales a year, I do not understand why he would stop selling lottery because of lack of winners.  Out of his 300k gross, what percentage of that is from scratchers vs regular lottery games?  Locations like Bluebird Liquor and the Lottery Store at the CA/NV border make a killing just from lottery sales.  As far as I know, their scratcher sales are a very small fraction compared to their lottery sales.  Whereas my shop is the exact opposite. 

If anything, lottery sales are a good way to drive customers in the door so they can hopefully buy other things  that have a higher margin.

Sorry, not sure if I entirely answered your question.

United States
        Member #147165
        September 24, 2013
        507 Posts
        Posted: October 25, 2014, 1:47 am - IP Logged

Yeah I wonder about that too. Who does not want free money? There is a weekly due, but usually the 6% sales commission rate covers that.

United States
          Member #147165
          September 24, 2013
          507 Posts
          Posted: October 25, 2014, 4:49 am - IP Logged

An update to the CALottery website a new draw game.

Monopoly Millionaires Club coming in 2015

south el monte
            United States
            Member #154982
            May 4, 2014
            64 Posts
            Posted: October 25, 2014, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

won 75 on a 5 $ fantastic 5 . So I figured I'd just blow it all back on tickets

. Got 7 10$ wof . From 009-015. Not one winning ticket

... All losers...

I purchased a zombie and a 2$ wof. 2$wof was 25 winner. The zombie was a zombie win for 5 $. I was upset by the 7 losing wof tickets. I took 30 and left.

United States
              Member #147165
              September 24, 2013
              507 Posts
              Posted: October 27, 2014, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

Got myself 2 $10 WoF, 37 and 38

Won $20 and $15.

Still way down from this game.

California
                United States
                Member #147209
                September 25, 2013
                90 Posts
                Posted: October 27, 2014, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

Picked up 3 $100 LFL winners on the $10 ticket last 3 days.  Seems to be loosening up a bit.  #14, #43 and #02

Two of the winners were 20X $5 and the other was $10 showing up 10 times. 

I have seen more winners on this game out of the $10 than any of the others ones I have been playing.  I am done with any of the $20 ones for now.

United States
                  Member #147165
                  September 24, 2013
                  507 Posts
                  Posted: October 27, 2014, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

Picked up 3 $100 LFL winners on the $10 ticket last 3 days.  Seems to be loosening up a bit.  #14, #43 and #02

Two of the winners were 20X $5 and the other was $10 showing up 10 times. 

I have seen more winners on this game out of the $10 than any of the others ones I have been playing.  I am done with any of the $20 ones for now.

For the $20 games, I think there is one more top prize for $5million Jackpot floating out there, and 1 $2million and $1million top prizes for the Million $$ Match.

For the $10 LFL game, I am really starting to think one of the top prizes got thrown away and there is 1 floating out there for the top prize as the sales pace went past 40% mark.

The new $10 Emerald game is listed on the website, will be out in stores tomorrow.

I've read more into the Monopoly Millionaires Club, seems like expected return rate is decent bottom low tier prizes, but the upper tier is horrible.

San Gabriel, CA
                    United States
                    Member #134310
                    October 24, 2012
                    85 Posts
                    Posted: October 27, 2014, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

Bought one Milion Match ticket on my way in to work and got a single number match for $100. Bought one more at lunch and found a $50 Fast Spot. Not a bad day so far.

Santa Barbara
                      United States
                      Member #154772
                      April 28, 2014
                      95 Posts
                      Posted: October 27, 2014, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

Hi Rudeboy805,  What kind of a store was it?

This is actually pretty hard to quantify, since many customers don't always return to my shop to cash their winners.   But if the reaction of new customers walking into my shop is any indication, I would say our avg winning ticket is pretty high relative to our sales.  But you have to take into account the volume that we sell as well.  We stopped displaying $100 winners about 5 years ago because we get too many of those.  The only exception are new games that have only been out a short time.   

If your local lottery retailer really was grossing 300k in annual lottery sales a year, I do not understand why he would stop selling lottery because of lack of winners.  Out of his 300k gross, what percentage of that is from scratchers vs regular lottery games?  Locations like Bluebird Liquor and the Lottery Store at the CA/NV border make a killing just from lottery sales.  As far as I know, their scratcher sales are a very small fraction compared to their lottery sales.  Whereas my shop is the exact opposite. 

If anything, lottery sales are a good way to drive customers in the door so they can hopefully buy other things  that have a higher margin.

Sorry, not sure if I entirely answered your question.

DGinElMonte,  He didn't share the scratchers vs regular lottery percentage.  He just gave the round figure 300K in gross sales and said that his return (sales percentage and winner percent return) used to be more and he attributed the lack of winners.  Can you share your gross sales vs income return number?  The retailer is a liquor store located in as commercial center anchored by a Ralph's grocery store. It was very convenient for me and he sold me my first and only 1K winning scratcher in May.

alta-babe's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                        Los Angeles, CA
                        United States
                        Member #144915
                        July 21, 2013
                        211 Posts
                        Posted: October 27, 2014, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

For the $20 games, I think there is one more top prize for $5million Jackpot floating out there, and 1 $2million and $1million top prizes for the Million $$ Match.

For the $10 LFL game, I am really starting to think one of the top prizes got thrown away and there is 1 floating out there for the top prize as the sales pace went past 40% mark.

The new $10 Emerald game is listed on the website, will be out in stores tomorrow.

I've read more into the Monopoly Millionaires Club, seems like expected return rate is decent bottom low tier prizes, but the upper tier is horrible.

Hi CAScratcher,

I'm just wondering why you say there is only 1 more top prize for the $5 Million Jackpot, when the website lists 4 as unclaimed.  Same with the Million Match....there are more top prizes listed on the website.  Do you have additional info ?

Thanks.........I try to follow this thread and find lots of good info from posters here.

United States
                          Member #154794
                          April 29, 2014
                          60 Posts
                          Posted: October 27, 2014, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

I am not sure people will buy into the Monopoly Millionaires Club. It's $5.00 a play and the lower prize amounts are so low. I love Monopoly games but I am not sure about this game.

El Monte
                            United States
                            Member #160216
                            October 22, 2014
                            62 Posts
                            Posted: October 28, 2014, 2:48 am - IP Logged

A couple of games that I've noticed haven't been paying out in any appreciable amount (at least in my store) are Fantastic 5's and 20x the Money.  Which is unfortunate because the old 20x the Money was a great seller and winner at my shop.

El Monte
                              United States
                              Member #160216
                              October 22, 2014
                              62 Posts
                              Posted: October 28, 2014, 2:53 am - IP Logged

Where did you read more about the Monopoly Millionaires Club?  I  read through the pamphlet they gave us and it's really lacking in information.  I didn't get to read it in depth since I was busy setting up the new games that came out today. 

There is a retailer's conference coming up in January where they said they'd give us more information.  But I just like to have that info ahead of time so I can inform my players. 

Thanks.

Page 152 of 182