Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 156 of 182
PrintE-mailLink
El Monte
United States
Member #160216
October 22, 2014
62 Posts
Posted: November 8, 2014, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Hi alta-babe,

I never said I specifically get $1000 every week.  If I did then that was a mistake and I apologize.  But I consistently do get large winners on a regular basis.  For the $1000 and larger, I've noticed they usually come in waves.  There will be periods where I get a lot of them then things will dry up, kind of like what we're going through now. 

And the winners are usually scattered across many different games.  But they're mostly concentrated on our most popular games.  Mega Crossword, Bonus Crossword, mostly $5, $10, and $20 games. 

As for staying away from retailers where they've had large winners.  It would totally depend on how busy they are and how fast they go through their rolls.  My most popular games I keep 2 rolls in each bin (saves me time in reloading) and with almost 90 bins going at one time, you can see how fast we go through our games.  Also, we'll accept delivery of 40-50 packs of each of  the popular games at one time and about 1/3 of each of those packs will be from different sequence of serial numbers.  So that further randomizes which games goes where. 

But to answer your question, if you're buying it from a store that doesn't move many tickets, then it makes more sense if you find another store under the assumption that multiple winners aren't in the same pack.  But for a store that moves high volumes of tickets, then I'm sure they have multiple rolls for you to choose from and if you return the next day, it'll most likely be a different roll in the same bin.  Hope all of that makes sense.

Good luck.

Southern CA
    United States
    Member #160762
    November 6, 2014
    6 Posts
    Posted: November 8, 2014, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Hi alta-babe,

I never said I specifically get $1000 every week.  If I did then that was a mistake and I apologize.  But I consistently do get large winners on a regular basis.  For the $1000 and larger, I've noticed they usually come in waves.  There will be periods where I get a lot of them then things will dry up, kind of like what we're going through now. 

And the winners are usually scattered across many different games.  But they're mostly concentrated on our most popular games.  Mega Crossword, Bonus Crossword, mostly $5, $10, and $20 games. 

As for staying away from retailers where they've had large winners.  It would totally depend on how busy they are and how fast they go through their rolls.  My most popular games I keep 2 rolls in each bin (saves me time in reloading) and with almost 90 bins going at one time, you can see how fast we go through our games.  Also, we'll accept delivery of 40-50 packs of each of  the popular games at one time and about 1/3 of each of those packs will be from different sequence of serial numbers.  So that further randomizes which games goes where. 

But to answer your question, if you're buying it from a store that doesn't move many tickets, then it makes more sense if you find another store under the assumption that multiple winners aren't in the same pack.  But for a store that moves high volumes of tickets, then I'm sure they have multiple rolls for you to choose from and if you return the next day, it'll most likely be a different roll in the same bin.  Hope all of that makes sense.

Good luck.

Hi there DG,

Just wondering, what kind of retailer do you have in El Monte? I live in Southern CA as well :)

lottoguysocal's avatar - atlantis dubai_1118783i.jpg
      camarillo, ca
      United States
      Member #132476
      September 4, 2012
      144 Posts
      Posted: November 8, 2014, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

Hi there DG,

Just wondering, what kind of retailer do you have in El Monte? I live in Southern CA as well :)

So I received my check from state, and it was for the full 5K.  Was that due to no state taxes on lotto winning and I won on a scratcher?

El Monte
        United States
        Member #160216
        October 22, 2014
        62 Posts
        Posted: November 9, 2014, 1:13 am - IP Logged

So I received my check from state, and it was for the full 5K.  Was that due to no state taxes on lotto winning and I won on a scratcher?

Congrats on your win.  How long did it take for you to receive your check?

If no taxes were taken out, then rest assured that it'll have to be paid next April 15th so plan accordingly.

camarillo, ca
          United States
          Member #132476
          September 4, 2012
          144 Posts
          Posted: November 9, 2014, 1:51 am - IP Logged

Congrats on your win.  How long did it take for you to receive your check?

If no taxes were taken out, then rest assured that it'll have to be paid next April 15th so plan accordingly.

which is what I was afraid of, took about 2 weeks, i went up to the van nuys office on the 20th of last month and I'll say it came in today since I didn't check the mail yesterday and it could have been there then, so yeah about 2 weeks or so...I guess the 6-8 weeks protocol may be the standard answer they give out or it may be that for higher payouts perhaps

I haven't heard anything good of the new Emerald 10s so far...at the local 7-11 where I play at, one of the cashier said they had bought 6 of them in a row and all were duds, just throwing that out there...think I'll stick with the 5M Jackpot a little while longer as they have quite a bit of high level prizes still out there

El Monte
            United States
            Member #160216
            October 22, 2014
            62 Posts
            Posted: November 9, 2014, 2:08 am - IP Logged

Hi there DG,

Hi Just1Time,

I have a donut shop in El Monte.  Been there for over 32 years.  Let me know if you're ever in the neighborhood.  :)

United States
              Member #147165
              September 24, 2013
              507 Posts
              Posted: November 9, 2014, 5:01 am - IP Logged

which is what I was afraid of, took about 2 weeks, i went up to the van nuys office on the 20th of last month and I'll say it came in today since I didn't check the mail yesterday and it could have been there then, so yeah about 2 weeks or so...I guess the 6-8 weeks protocol may be the standard answer they give out or it may be that for higher payouts perhaps

I haven't heard anything good of the new Emerald 10s so far...at the local 7-11 where I play at, one of the cashier said they had bought 6 of them in a row and all were duds, just throwing that out there...think I'll stick with the 5M Jackpot a little while longer as they have quite a bit of high level prizes still out there

There are no state taxes for gambling winnings here in California. Only federal taxes, be sure to file this as part of your tax return although nothing was withheld.

The state treasury will have reported this winning to the IRS, and the IRS is keeping track of everything these days to squeeze every single dollar they can get get out of people.

If they prove you owe taxes and you did not report something, they will automatically include interest as well.

United States
                Member #147165
                September 24, 2013
                507 Posts
                Posted: November 9, 2014, 5:04 am - IP Logged

Hi alta-babe,

Good luck.

The average retailer will sell just 1 $1000 or more winner in an entire year. There is a map spread of winners back in 2012 that shows this data.

To have many $1000 or more winner sold by you is a blessing.

The only thing I got from the CALottery at the county fair was a scratcher keychain which scratches tickets very nicely.

Southern CA
                  United States
                  Member #160762
                  November 6, 2014
                  6 Posts
                  Posted: November 9, 2014, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Hi Just1Time,

I have a donut shop in El Monte.  Been there for over 32 years.  Let me know if you're ever in the neighborhood.  :)

Haha sounds good. I'm actually in Victorville but I go to LA quite frequently. Next time I'm on the I-10 W, I will have to stop by for some donuts and scratchers :)

alta-babe's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                    Los Angeles, CA
                    United States
                    Member #144915
                    July 21, 2013
                    211 Posts
                    Posted: November 9, 2014, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

Hi alta-babe,

Good luck.

Hi DG,

90 bins going at the same time ?????  WOW !!  You sell a lot of scratchers.......no wonder you were retailer of the year a few years ago.  Thanks for the insight.  I have seen sequential serial numbers on packs a few times at different retailers, so my thinking was that I want to avoid that retailer if I know a larger (say $500-$1000) winner was recently sold there if I am going for the same game as the larger winners. 

I like that you said it usually comes in waves.  If I know the serial numbers on the ticket pack I want to play, I can look for something different from the last one with a big winner.  It makes sense to me to go to a place with high turnover if I am going to keep playing at the same store.

El Monte
                      United States
                      Member #160216
                      October 22, 2014
                      62 Posts
                      Posted: November 11, 2014, 4:19 am - IP Logged

The average retailer will sell just 1 $1000 or more winner in an entire year. There is a map spread of winners back in 2012 that shows this data.

To have many $1000 or more winner sold by you is a blessing.

The only thing I got from the CALottery at the county fair was a scratcher keychain which scratches tickets very nicely.

I did a search trying to find the map spread.  I came up with one that was posted by Jon D.  Is that the one you're referring to?

Are you aware of any charts or tables that breaks down total lottery sales by retailers?  I'm curious if there is an objective accounting of the top sellers instead of just hearing it from my district rep. 

Also, if you ever see a CA Lottery rep (not the GTECH workers) at any of the locations you go to, you can ask them for free gifts and what not.  They'll usually give you a few $1 tickets and vouchers for $1 on the SuperLotto.

United States
                        Member #147165
                        September 24, 2013
                        507 Posts
                        Posted: November 12, 2014, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

I did a search trying to find the map spread.  I came up with one that was posted by Jon D.  Is that the one you're referring to?

Are you aware of any charts or tables that breaks down total lottery sales by retailers?  I'm curious if there is an objective accounting of the top sellers instead of just hearing it from my district rep. 

Also, if you ever see a CA Lottery rep (not the GTECH workers) at any of the locations you go to, you can ask them for free gifts and what not.  They'll usually give you a few $1 tickets and vouchers for $1 on the SuperLotto.

Yes that is correct, the breakdown by Jon D (a big contributor in the past) was done by obtaining the list of winners from the CA Lottery (this is public information) and using geoplotting.

Not sure about the total sales by retailers is public information, I know that would interest you the most. Every big jackpot winner's name will be revealed by the laws of this state, no anonymous claiming.

I do not think I ever got a chance to run into a representative, I have seen the CALottery van a few times on the streets. The county fairs (Los Angeles and Orange) allow a person to spin a wheel once every $20 they purchase. Can get up to 3 to 20 $1 scratchers, used to be $1 superlotto vouchers (their profit margin is higher on those)

United States
                          Member #147165
                          September 24, 2013
                          507 Posts
                          Posted: November 13, 2014, 12:24 am - IP Logged

I went against my own playing philosophies (of playing a game where sales pace is ahead of top prize claimed) tonight.

Bought 5 Million $$ Match, the first 5 tickets of the roll 000-004.

Got burned, just a $20 break even prize on Ticket #4

camarillo, ca
                            United States
                            Member #132476
                            September 4, 2012
                            144 Posts
                            Posted: November 13, 2014, 1:40 am - IP Logged

I went against my own playing philosophies (of playing a game where sales pace is ahead of top prize claimed) tonight.

Bought 5 Million $$ Match, the first 5 tickets of the roll 000-004.

Got burned, just a $20 break even prize on Ticket #4

I'm not really fond of that game...I haven't heard anything good about it...I played it once and all were duds, never played it again...I've had more success with the 5Million Jackpot which is why I continue to play...well not so much my last two outings, bought 6 three were winners for a total of 65 back, and then I went with my usual of 7 and only two were winners

United States
                              Member #147165
                              September 24, 2013
                              507 Posts
                              Posted: November 13, 2014, 3:06 am - IP Logged

I'm not really fond of that game...I haven't heard anything good about it...I played it once and all were duds, never played it again...I've had more success with the 5Million Jackpot which is why I continue to play...well not so much my last two outings, bought 6 three were winners for a total of 65 back, and then I went with my usual of 7 and only two were winners

It is so unusual how the top prizes for Million $$ Match went down like flies. Even though the game favors smaller prizes, I am hardly getting much in the 40 tickets I've played so far.

At least for the $5M Jp, I got a fair share of $50 and $100.

Page 156 of 182