Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 10:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

CA Lottery - California Love - CA Lottery Scratchers

Topic closed. 2718 replies. Last post 1 year ago by CAScratcher20.

Page 166 of 182
PrintE-mailLink
San Fran
United States
Member #150212
December 17, 2013
97 Posts
Posted: March 11, 2015, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

I've seen that thread long time ago. It is likely a misinterpretation to many here, the jackpot win probably was split three ways since the creation date are all the same timestamps and the total prize claimed was not docked down by 3. Splitting is wise to a point where it reduces taxes, but they have to wait out 20 years to get fully paid out.

Tran is a very common Vietnamese last name, San Jose has a high amount of Vietnamese people that reside there. So it is hard to conclude if the store owners is the winner. Coincidentally, the Powerball and Mega Millions winners from San Jose were Vietnamese as well.

I will likely believe the store closed because of the bad reviews it got on Yelp, $10,000 bonus for selling the winning ticket is not much to keep the business alive given the high cost of living in silicon valley.

The 4/20/11 date is the day the public record request was made and i'm not sure if the first Set for Life game had a cash out option or not.

United States
    Member #147165
    September 24, 2013
    507 Posts
    Posted: March 11, 2015, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

The $5 Set for Life games did not have the ~58% cash option like the Lucky for Life or Lucky Life games had.

The original poster claimed to do a data of the entire 2011 year, it makes no sense to request it in the middle of the year of the same year.

El Monte
      United States
      Member #160216
      October 22, 2014
      62 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2015, 3:03 am - IP Logged

Check page 2 or 3 on this tread: 

My mistake on the same last name.  one of them was differnt, and im sure tran is a very popular name however, the owners of the drycleaners was tran as well and this place has since closed. 

prize_amountproduct_namecreation_dateplayer_lastplayer_firstoutlet_nameaddress
      $2,000,000SET FOR LIFE4/20/2011TRANKHIEMFAMILY WASH & DRY330 E SANTA CLARA ST, SAN JOSE, CA, 95116
      $2,000,000SET FOR LIFE4/20/2011TRANYENFAMILY WASH & DRY330 E SANTA CLARA ST, SAN JOSE, CA, 95116
      $2,000,000SET FOR LIFE4/20/2011THAISAFAMILY WASH & DRY330 E SANTA CLARA ST, SAN JOSE, CA, 95116

Tran is an extremely common Vietnamese last name.  But wow, getting 3  Set for Life winners at the same store is ridiculously lucky, almost unbelievably so.  I don't know their volume, but I can't imagine them selling more than 30-40 packs during the life of that game.  So to get 3 winners,...wow.

United States
        Member #147165
        September 24, 2013
        507 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2015, 6:10 am - IP Logged

Tran is an extremely common Vietnamese last name.  But wow, getting 3  Set for Life winners at the same store is ridiculously lucky, almost unbelievably so.  I don't know their volume, but I can't imagine them selling more than 30-40 packs during the life of that game.  So to get 3 winners,...wow.

People can feel free to choose to believe what they want to. I am not convinced at all.

1. The media and press continually monitor the lottery since it is public information and if they notice a repeat winner, it will receive much attention. There have been multiple two-time million dollar scratch off winners in the US. A three-time winner (let alone the same game) will be historical, this has received no attention online. These days the lottery verifies the integrity of all top prize winners.
        2. GTECH and Scientific Games (those that make the scratchers) know where the ticket packs are distributed when the ticket set gets activated from the Point of Sale system. They know which tickets are winners but the lottery regulations enforce a double blind system where they do not know how the tickets get distributed.
        3. If that retailer did sell 3 top prizes, it will be right up there top of the Lucky Retailer list right below Bluebird Liquor. I never seen it listed back when the Lucky Retailer requirements were strict.
        4. Other retailers sell these tickets in hopes to get bonuses, they will cry foul if word on the street spreads quickly that one particular place aside from the Lottery Store in Nipton, CA sold multiple top prizes.

The lottery allows for split winners for $1 million prize or higher, so its more believable a group of three people claimed the top prize. If the database timestamp was when the information was requested, every row in the data will be the same and will be a poor database schema design of having a insignifcant value stored.

El Monte
          United States
          Member #160216
          October 22, 2014
          62 Posts
          Posted: March 12, 2015, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

I was mainly responding based on the previous poster stating that retailer skipped town after he sold 3 winners at his store

But reading the rest of the comments, what you're saying makes a lot more sense - that they merely split the prize 3 ways.  Perhaps because we rarely hear about scratchers being split up is part of the cause of the confusion.

But yeah I'd be screaming bloody murder if a local store sold 3 top prize winners in the same game and their volume was relatively small.

United States
            Member #147165
            September 24, 2013
            507 Posts
            Posted: March 12, 2015, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

The retailer data that was available in the 2012 data plotting but it had only a few thousand dollar winners after that top prize.

The part about closing shop and leaving the country was just a sense of humor speculation of what may have happened. I cannot find any relevant articles online or directly know people that can validate this occurence.

Only few of the retailers will be able to sell a top ticket, let alone three of the same.

El Monte
              United States
              Member #160216
              October 22, 2014
              62 Posts
              Posted: March 12, 2015, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

The retailer data that was available in the 2012 data plotting but it had only a few thousand dollar winners after that top prize.

The part about closing shop and leaving the country was just a sense of humor speculation of what may have happened. I cannot find any relevant articles online or directly know people that can validate this occurence.

Only few of the retailers will be able to sell a top ticket, let alone three of the same.

Don't I know it...still waiting to sell a million dollar ticket.

San Diego, CA
                United States
                Member #58386
                February 12, 2008
                290 Posts
                Posted: March 14, 2015, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

The past two days I bought 7 of the new $20 Ultimate Riches Scratchers from 7 different stores.  The return was $0.

Also bought 1 of the $20 Million $$ Match.  The return was $0.

What am I doing wrong? 

Am I due some good luck?

United States
                  Member #147165
                  September 24, 2013
                  507 Posts
                  Posted: March 15, 2015, 2:46 am - IP Logged

Here's something I don't see everyday. 

Customer came in bought a few tickets.  Before he left, he wanted 3 of the new Hit $500 game.  As I was pulling the tickets, they were the last in the row.  He decided to buy the last 4.  He came back later in the day all excited.  2 tickets in a row hit $500 (I believe it was 002 and 003).  I was pleasantly surprised and he was beaming from ear to ear.   Good thing it happened on a Friday.

Good luck everyone.

Been meaning to acknowledge that this is very useful information you've provided. Nice to know big prizes can be clumped in the same roll despite the $500 prize is about 1 in 686 when there are 80 tickets per $5 ticket roll. I have gotten 2 $100 prizes off of the last 10 $5 tickets in the past before 70-79 where 73 and 78 hit at 1 in 400 odds.

Pasadena, CA
                    United States
                    Member #153326
                    March 13, 2014
                    186 Posts
                    Posted: March 15, 2015, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

Weird occurrence this past Saturday. Went to three separate locations around L.A. and spent $20 on lottery products at each location (Vons in Pasadena, L.A. Live lotto booth at Kings game and Valero gas station in East L.A.). Each of those purchases had the exact same result with one $50 ticket winner for each separate trip (1 Ultimate Riches, 4 Hit $500 and 2 $10 Taxes Paid, respectively). $150 return on $60 spent is not terrible by any stretch, but it just goes to show the difficulty of getting $100 and above.

United States
                      Member #164725
                      March 12, 2015
                      365 Posts
                      Posted: March 16, 2015, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

Well, this stinks!  I just read the new rules for second chance scratches that eliminate top prizes for post 2015 games.  So, you have lousy odds to win prizes on the scratchers themselves and at best maybe a 25k top prize on a second chance scratcher also with lousy odds. 

So, what do you think? Will it help or hurt sales of scratchers or limit the entry of second chance?

United States
                        Member #147165
                        September 24, 2013
                        507 Posts
                        Posted: March 16, 2015, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

The past two days I bought 7 of the new $20 Ultimate Riches Scratchers from 7 different stores.  The return was $0.

What am I doing wrong? 

Am I due some good luck?

I will tell you from my personal experience from playing many years that these losing streaks can happen to everyone. You are not doing anything wrong, it just bad luck happens time to time.

I bought a string of 7 straight losing tickets off of the $20 5 Million Jackpot

Late last year and earlier this year, I bought 1 or 2 $20 Million $$ Match tickets from different places at different days, I went through 11 tickets without a winner.

As far as being due for good luck, you are not guaranteed to see a $100 ticket once your streak is over. Maybe a few $50, but there were times I went through another losing streak after one or two winning tickets to snap a previous losing streak.

United States
                          Member #147165
                          September 24, 2013
                          507 Posts
                          Posted: March 16, 2015, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

Weird occurrence this past Saturday. Went to three separate locations around L.A. and spent $20 on lottery products at each location (Vons in Pasadena, L.A. Live lotto booth at Kings game and Valero gas station in East L.A.). Each of those purchases had the exact same result with one $50 ticket winner for each separate trip (1 Ultimate Riches, 4 Hit $500 and 2 $10 Taxes Paid, respectively). $150 return on $60 spent is not terrible by any stretch, but it just goes to show the difficulty of getting $100 and above.

The strangest thing that happened to me is winning 4 $50 prizes when I bought a dozen (12) $5 777's game from the same roll in 2010. I will take it how ever it comes!

Winning 150 from 60 is good ROI when the average is about 55-60% for $5 and up games. 

Odds of getting a 100 dollar prize is very doable to many avid players. But anything after that becomes so steep.

United States
                            Member #147165
                            September 24, 2013
                            507 Posts
                            Posted: March 16, 2015, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Well, this stinks!  I just read the new rules for second chance scratches that eliminate top prizes for post 2015 games.  So, you have lousy odds to win prizes on the scratchers themselves and at best maybe a 25k top prize on a second chance scratcher also with lousy odds. 

So, what do you think? Will it help or hurt sales of scratchers or limit the entry of second chance?

It is easy to overreact about this change like many of the posters here, but if you view carefully, it is a golden window of opportunity to buy as much pre-2015 games to take advantage of both old and new replay systems. Too bad I do not have the budget to do so.

Many of them posters seem to be young or new to gambling to be griping over this change. Seven years ago, there was no 2nd Chance system at all. Although I have not won anything, I'll rather have some chance to win $1k back than nothing at all.

San Diego, SoCal
                              United States
                              Member #164837
                              March 16, 2015
                              18 Posts
                              Posted: March 16, 2015, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

What am I doing wrong? 

Am I due some good luck?

scratchers are a waste of your hard earned cash. Especially now. Stick to fantasy 5 and super lotto. I would rather put $20 for a couple of lines for those draws.

I will only buy a $20 scratcher if I really feel lucky. And you actually know when you feel it. I haven't bought a scratcher since 2014. Feeling is great!

but to each its own! I guess.

what part of San Diego do buy your tickets from?

Page 166 of 182