Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Random is Random?

Topic closed. 174 replies. Last post 1 year ago by ElinaSammy2081.

Page 3 of 12
PrintE-mailLink

Ghana
Member #134837
November 8, 2012
9 Posts
Posted: July 26, 2015, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

RL, by any chance, is that tool still available?  Would love to be able to pin down one number once in awhile to be used as a banker.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
    Member #59354
    March 13, 2008
    3962 Posts
    Posted: July 26, 2015, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

It was far enough back that it was coded using 16-bit dos.  If I could find it I am not sure it would

run on newer computers.  The program required the user to select the numbers but there always

seemed to be a couple that kinda stuck out.   It was based on an analysis of gap/skips

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

Ghana
      Member #134837
      November 8, 2012
      9 Posts
      Posted: July 26, 2015, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the reply. Been trying to write dot net code to do that for a long time without success. Sure, you get one number correct once a while but it's not better than randomly selecting any number or sticking with a specific number.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
        Dallas, Texas
        United States
        Member #4549
        May 2, 2004
        1675 Posts
        Posted: July 26, 2015, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the reply. Been trying to write dot net code to do that for a long time without success. Sure, you get one number correct once a while but it's not better than randomly selecting any number or sticking with a specific number.

What game are you playing?

What is the matrix?

How many out of how many do you need to get to have a win?

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19822 Posts
          Posted: July 27, 2015, 1:37 am - IP Logged

It was far enough back that it was coded using 16-bit dos.  If I could find it I am not sure it would

run on newer computers.  The program required the user to select the numbers but there always

seemed to be a couple that kinda stuck out.   It was based on an analysis of gap/skips

RL

"It was far enough back that it was coded using 16-bit dos.  If I could find it I am not sure it would run on newer computers."

All my old GWBasic programs were written for DOS and worked fine even in Windows XP, it was Windows 8 that was the problem.  When I loaded them into the QB64 compiler, it pointed out a few changes that needed made and they ran fine except for the colors. A few color changes and they are working fine. 

I didn't even have to change the file handling or get rid of the line numbers even thought I was told I would need to open files like in QBasic. As I lean more about QB64 I will change that.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19822 Posts
            Posted: July 27, 2015, 1:49 am - IP Logged

RJ

I use to have a tool that I used to help pin down a couple numbers and the best I can remember

it hit quite often.  I don't think I would ever try something like that even if I had the money to

throw away.  Unless a person had a few very fast printers it would be hard to fill out that many

bet-slips between drawings.

RL

That the problem with a game with daily drawings, you don't really have a lot of time, but if you reduced the odds of winning a jackpot of a 5/39 game to 1:73,815 lines that improves your chances of a big win by almost 8X even if you're only playing ten lines.

Evil Looking       

Ghana
              Member #134837
              November 8, 2012
              9 Posts
              Posted: July 27, 2015, 4:00 am - IP Logged

What game are you playing?

What is the matrix?

How many out of how many do you need to get to have a win?

It's a 5/90 game. There's really no jackpot per se. The prize structure is multiples of what you bet. You can bet on anything from two to all the five numbers. For example, you can bet $1 on two numbers. If your two numbers are among the five drawn, you'll be paid $200. Three, four and five correct numbers pay higher multiples of your bet amount.

Actually, you can even bet on one number, but it has to be the first number drawn to win.

So, back to RL's point. If you could pin down one number correctly in say one out of every five games,  you'd ahead. Even once out of every seven games is ok.  But pinning down one number that often is quite elusive.

Dallas, Texas
                United States
                Member #4549
                May 2, 2004
                1675 Posts
                Posted: July 27, 2015, 9:06 am - IP Logged

It's a 5/90 game. There's really no jackpot per se. The prize structure is multiples of what you bet. You can bet on anything from two to all the five numbers. For example, you can bet $1 on two numbers. If your two numbers are among the five drawn, you'll be paid $200. Three, four and five correct numbers pay higher multiples of your bet amount.

Actually, you can even bet on one number, but it has to be the first number drawn to win.

So, back to RL's point. If you could pin down one number correctly in say one out of every five games,  you'd ahead. Even once out of every seven games is ok.  But pinning down one number that often is quite elusive.

Five of 90? Wow!

The game master must be hurting for money. I know the public stance they take is they want to offer larger prizes, but they want to make money too. Games like this say to me: More people are winning something. More people are playing smarter. More people learning how to play.

Back to the idea.....

Any of the five is your banker. Don't look for just one possible banker, use a set. Old WIN D idea originally applied to Pick3.

Rather than trying to determine what three numbers could come out, work with a range of possibilities by sets. In that thread it was pretty much decided that 6 digits was the best possible trade off between expenditure and reward.

Here I've applied it using only the back digits of Texas 2Step. SET is the set #. There are 210 sets of 6 back digits in 2Step. The X#'s (X1-X6) are the digits being tracked. Bhit is the number of hits per set. Strx is the longest that set has ever been out. Strx is the current number of times the set has been missing.

Same chart. The first half I sorted the results by the number of hits for each set. The second half(in blue) I sorted by how long each set has been out. 

Try something similar. With 5 of 90 you're going to have many many more sets. Try is with a different number of members per set. Say a set of 3, 4 or 5 numbers.

When we see something like this the tendency is to jump in the deep end and play the sets that comes out the most, or the set that has been out the longest. In Pick 3 we discovered the longest out set rarely accommodated that thinking. Normally the set that hit that night was between the second and fifth longest missing.

Depending on the number of draws the game has, there might not be enough data to even consider this approach.

Good Luck!

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

Dallas, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #4549
                  May 2, 2004
                  1675 Posts
                  Posted: July 27, 2015, 9:37 am - IP Logged

"It was far enough back that it was coded using 16-bit dos.  If I could find it I am not sure it would run on newer computers."

All my old GWBasic programs were written for DOS and worked fine even in Windows XP, it was Windows 8 that was the problem.  When I loaded them into the QB64 compiler, it pointed out a few changes that needed made and they ran fine except for the colors. A few color changes and they are working fine. 

I didn't even have to change the file handling or get rid of the line numbers even thought I was told I would need to open files like in QBasic. As I lean more about QB64 I will change that.

Same here, RJOH.

Once in a while I come across programs that have line numbers from GWBASIC. QB64 hasn't made a fuss yet. LPRINT statements are another story, or were. I downloaded and installed the qb1000 version yesterday. Looking forward to seeing how that goes now.

And Windows 8.1 is turning out to be more work than expected. Used the file transfer wizard, but it didn't transfer the Excel product key.  Tried reinstalling Office and got the message, the product key was already used on the maximum number of machines.

Ghana
                    Member #134837
                    November 8, 2012
                    9 Posts
                    Posted: July 27, 2015, 10:05 am - IP Logged

Five of 90? Wow!

The game master must be hurting for money. I know the public stance they take is they want to offer larger prizes, but they want to make money too. Games like this say to me: More people are winning something. More people are playing smarter. More people learning how to play.

Back to the idea.....

Any of the five is your banker. Don't look for just one possible banker, use a set. Old WIN D idea originally applied to Pick3.

Rather than trying to determine what three numbers could come out, work with a range of possibilities by sets. In that thread it was pretty much decided that 6 digits was the best possible trade off between expenditure and reward.

Here I've applied it using only the back digits of Texas 2Step. SET is the set #. There are 210 sets of 6 back digits in 2Step. The X#'s (X1-X6) are the digits being tracked. Bhit is the number of hits per set. Strx is the longest that set has ever been out. Strx is the current number of times the set has been missing.

Same chart. The first half I sorted the results by the number of hits for each set. The second half(in blue) I sorted by how long each set has been out. 

Try something similar. With 5 of 90 you're going to have many many more sets. Try is with a different number of members per set. Say a set of 3, 4 or 5 numbers.

When we see something like this the tendency is to jump in the deep end and play the sets that comes out the most, or the set that has been out the longest. In Pick 3 we discovered the longest out set rarely accommodated that thinking. Normally the set that hit that night was between the second and fifth longest missing.

Depending on the number of draws the game has, there might not be enough data to even consider this approach.

Good Luck!

Thanks Gary. I'll study your suggestion and see how it goes. The game has over 5000 draw history so there is enough data to code and back test any idea one might have.

I think you might be comparing it to the games you have in the States, but it's quite different actually. It's a 5/90 game but almost nobody bets on five numbers. Most folks select and bet on two numbers. So it's more like a 2/90 game. There are 4005 two-number combinations from the 90. If you are sure of your two numbers, you go and sell the farm and bet it all on those two numbers!! The payoff is 200 times whatever you bet.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19822 Posts
                      Posted: July 27, 2015, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

Same here, RJOH.

Once in a while I come across programs that have line numbers from GWBASIC. QB64 hasn't made a fuss yet. LPRINT statements are another story, or were. I downloaded and installed the qb1000 version yesterday. Looking forward to seeing how that goes now.

And Windows 8.1 is turning out to be more work than expected. Used the file transfer wizard, but it didn't transfer the Excel product key.  Tried reinstalling Office and got the message, the product key was already used on the maximum number of machines.

Haven't used LPRINT, I print out what I want to a text file and print it.  That way I can make extra copies without rerunning the program.  This a work sheet I printed out for the next MM drawing:

MEGAMILL      07-27-2015    11:24:23      MX072715
                      ____|____|____|____|____    1                   2                   3
                      ____|____|____|____|____    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
                          |    |    |    |        A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U

ck *164 draws with [20]  prev draws = 3280
                       1   0 = 9 to 19 / 14                   1   3 = 0 to 1 / 0
                       1   1 = 1 to 10 / 5                    1   4 = 0 to 0 / 0
                       1   2 = 0 to 4 / 1                     1   5 = 0 to 0 / 0
                      MTC 5               THT = 1 / 1 - 15   PHT = 1 / 0 - 8

ck *152 draws with [32]  prev draws = 4864
                       1   0 = 14 to 29 / 22                  1   3 = 0 to 1 / 0
                       1   1 = 3 to 14 / 9                    1   4 = 0 to 0 / 0
                       1   2 = 0 to 5 / 1                     1   5 = 0 to 0 / 0
                      MTC 5               THT = 1 / 3 - 23   PHT = 1 / 0 - 12

ck *127 draws with [57]  prev draws = 7239
                       1   0 = 32 to 49 / 40                  1   3 = 0 to 1 / 0
                       1   1 = 8 to 23 / 15                   1   4 = 0 to 0 / 0
                       1   2 = 0 to 7 / 2                     1   5 = 0 to 0 / 0
                      MTC 5               THT = 1 / 8 - 32   PHT = 1 / 1 - 18

ck [184] draws with *184 draws of WHEELSYS = 33856
                       1   0 = 108 to 144 / 128               1   3 = 0 to 1 / 0
                       1   1 = 35 to 64 / 49                  1   4 = 0 to 0 / 0
                       1   2 = 0 to 13 / 6                    1   5 = 1 to 1 / 1
                      MTC 5              *THT = 1 / 42 - 86   PHT = 1 / 11 - 41

ck [1053] draws with *184 draws of WHEELSYS = 193752
                       5   0 = 619 to 933 / 733               1   3 = 0 to 8 / 2
                       4   1 = 118 to 372 / 284               1   4 = 0 to 1 / 0
                       1   2 = 1 to 69 / 34                   1   5 = 1 to 1 / 1
                      MTC 5              *THT = 5 / 120 - 495   PHT = 4 / 11 - 265

ck [1377] draws with *184 draws of WHEELSYS = 253368
                       6   0 = 806 to 1235 / 956              1   3 = 0 to 10 / 2
                       5   1 = 140 to 487 / 373               1   4 = 0 to 1 / 0
                       2   2 = 1 to 89 / 45                   1   5 = 1 to 1 / 1
                      MTC 5              *THT = 7 / 142 - 656   PHT = 5 / 11 - 344

ck [4325] draws with *184 draws of WHEELSYS = 795800
                       18  0 = 2524 to 3899 / 2995            1   3 = 0 to 24 / 7
                       15  1 = 424 to 1529 / 1177             1   4 = 0 to 2 / 0
                       4   2 = 1 to 287 / 145                 1   5 = 0 to 1 / 1
                      MTC 5              *THT = 22 / 426 - 2092   PHT = 14 / 11 - 1060 

Evil Looking       

Dallas, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #4549
                        May 2, 2004
                        1675 Posts
                        Posted: July 27, 2015, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Gary. I'll study your suggestion and see how it goes. The game has over 5000 draw history so there is enough data to code and back test any idea one might have.

I think you might be comparing it to the games you have in the States, but it's quite different actually. It's a 5/90 game but almost nobody bets on five numbers. Most folks select and bet on two numbers. So it's more like a 2/90 game. There are 4005 two-number combinations from the 90. If you are sure of your two numbers, you go and sell the farm and bet it all on those two numbers!! The payoff is 200 times whatever you bet.

Last 2Step winner was 7 25 31 35 BB 22

Counting 22 as the fifth number would be three winners.

Such is life.

Dallas, Texas
                          United States
                          Member #4549
                          May 2, 2004
                          1675 Posts
                          Posted: July 27, 2015, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Haven't used LPRINT, I print out what I want to a text file and print it.  That way I can make extra copies without rerunning the program.  This a work sheet I printed out for the next MM drawing:

MEGAMILL      07-27-2015    11:24:23      MX072715
                          ____|____|____|____|____    1                   2                   3
                          ____|____|____|____|____    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
                              |    |    |    |        A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U

ck *164 draws with [20]  prev draws = 3280
                           1   0 = 9 to 19 / 14                   1   3 = 0 to 1 / 0
                           1   1 = 1 to 10 / 5                    1   4 = 0 to 0 / 0
                           1   2 = 0 to 4 / 1                     1   5 = 0 to 0 / 0
                          MTC 5               THT = 1 / 1 - 15   PHT = 1 / 0 - 8

ck *152 draws with [32]  prev draws = 4864
                           1   0 = 14 to 29 / 22                  1   3 = 0 to 1 / 0
                           1   1 = 3 to 14 / 9                    1   4 = 0 to 0 / 0
                           1   2 = 0 to 5 / 1                     1   5 = 0 to 0 / 0
                          MTC 5               THT = 1 / 3 - 23   PHT = 1 / 0 - 12

ck *127 draws with [57]  prev draws = 7239
                           1   0 = 32 to 49 / 40                  1   3 = 0 to 1 / 0
                           1   1 = 8 to 23 / 15                   1   4 = 0 to 0 / 0
                           1   2 = 0 to 7 / 2                     1   5 = 0 to 0 / 0
                          MTC 5               THT = 1 / 8 - 32   PHT = 1 / 1 - 18

ck [184] draws with *184 draws of WHEELSYS = 33856
                           1   0 = 108 to 144 / 128               1   3 = 0 to 1 / 0
                           1   1 = 35 to 64 / 49                  1   4 = 0 to 0 / 0
                           1   2 = 0 to 13 / 6                    1   5 = 1 to 1 / 1
                          MTC 5              *THT = 1 / 42 - 86   PHT = 1 / 11 - 41

ck [1053] draws with *184 draws of WHEELSYS = 193752
                           5   0 = 619 to 933 / 733               1   3 = 0 to 8 / 2
                           4   1 = 118 to 372 / 284               1   4 = 0 to 1 / 0
                           1   2 = 1 to 69 / 34                   1   5 = 1 to 1 / 1
                          MTC 5              *THT = 5 / 120 - 495   PHT = 4 / 11 - 265

ck [1377] draws with *184 draws of WHEELSYS = 253368
                           6   0 = 806 to 1235 / 956              1   3 = 0 to 10 / 2
                           5   1 = 140 to 487 / 373               1   4 = 0 to 1 / 0
                           2   2 = 1 to 89 / 45                   1   5 = 1 to 1 / 1
                          MTC 5              *THT = 7 / 142 - 656   PHT = 5 / 11 - 344

ck [4325] draws with *184 draws of WHEELSYS = 795800
                           18  0 = 2524 to 3899 / 2995            1   3 = 0 to 24 / 7
                           15  1 = 424 to 1529 / 1177             1   4 = 0 to 2 / 0
                           4   2 = 1 to 287 / 145                 1   5 = 0 to 1 / 1
                          MTC 5              *THT = 22 / 426 - 2092   PHT = 14 / 11 - 1060 

LPRINT was the old line print command back when life was full of dot matrix printers.

One the ink jet, bubble jet, and laser jets took over, it became obsolete. That's when I started writing to a CSV and importing into Excel. 

I like the layout, I don't know what the numbers mean. Clean and simple. That's what I try to do too.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19822 Posts
                            Posted: July 27, 2015, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

LPRINT was the old line print command back when life was full of dot matrix printers.

One the ink jet, bubble jet, and laser jets took over, it became obsolete. That's when I started writing to a CSV and importing into Excel. 

I like the layout, I don't know what the numbers mean. Clean and simple. That's what I try to do too.

They just compares parts of the MM file with the whole files.  There has been 184 drawings in the present matrix, 1053 include the previous matrix and 1377 include all three matrix changes since the name changed from BigGame to MegaMillions and so on.  I put those figures into my RNG when I'm trying to find some combinations that haven't come up before but still stay within the parameters of recent winners.

Evil Looking       

United States
                              Member #132100
                              August 26, 2012
                              1076 Posts
                              Posted: July 27, 2015, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Last 2Step winner was 7 25 31 35 BB 22

Counting 22 as the fifth number would be three winners.

Such is life.

Not bad at all! But yes, getting the bonus ball would have been nice, do more work on bonus ball prediction.

Page 3 of 12