Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ghost in the machine

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 11 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2006, 10:30 am - IP Logged

For the past 3 days, I've been experiencing very strange behavior on this site. I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. It could be a hacker or just that my computer is freaking out.

I've noticed that occasionally, maybe 5 to six times a day, I would click on a forum like lottery discussion or some different forum, and see an earlier post with my name as the last respondent, knowing full well that I was not the last person to respond. Then when I click on it again, it shows the true person who responded last. This is very strange. And it's freaking me out.

I've ran all my adware, antivirus programs, and they cleaned alot of junk out, but still, something is lurking, or not, I don't know.

Not only that, but sometimes I'll have trouble editing my posts. Trying to fix spelling errors were a challenge. Space bar was acting as delete and vice versa....

Yesterday my roomate and his new wife, (Got married here at the house June 3rd) went fishing all day, and I was alone in the house. I didn't want to say anything about this here at the LP, but now I must say that the whole time they were gone, I felt a very strong presence in the house. The two little dogs that we have, also acted very strange.

Ghost in my computer.

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: June 5, 2006, 10:36 am - IP Logged

It just happened again right now. I hit the back button on the browsre and got it captured for everyone to see. I copied and pasted it. As you can see, I was not the last person to comment on the education level thread. And it says I did it today....LOL

Priority TopicSign the petition - eliminate computerized drawings!
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33
    Todd32762835Yesterday, 1:42 pm
    by scorpio View Last Post
    Priority TopicIf you have any website problems...
    1 2 3
    Todd241218May 24, 2006, 8:26 pm
    by csfb View Last Post
    Poll (new votes)Education level
    1 2 3
    sfilippo29337Today, 1:50 am
    by pacattack05 View Last Post
    Open Topic (new replies)easy Lotteries Vs. Bank robbing....pumpi768144Today, 1:45 am
    by pumpi76 View Last Post
    Open Topic (new replies)TN keno.Tnplayer805434Today, 1:30 am
    by LOTTOMIKE View Last Post
    Open Topic (new replies)do you ever wonder?JackpotPlayer782Today, 1:26 am
    Open Topic (new replies)Tennessee Lottery's Rebecca Paul falls off balconyTnplayer805584Today, 1:06 am
    Hot Topic (new replies)New Avatars Available Todd18300Today, 12:56 am
    by MX20 View Last Post
    Hot Topic (new replies)Anyone seen the "Shift"
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
    cps101164361Today, 12:56 am
    by pacattack05 View Last Post
    Open Topic (new replies)Computer Glitch? Comments please.justxploring020Yesterday, 10:25 pm
    by justxploring View Last Post
    Poll (new votes)lottery post predicting jackpot on board
    1 2 3 4
    LOTTOMIKE

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23262 Posts
      Posted: June 5, 2006, 10:36 am - IP Logged

Sounds like your virus problems have returned.

You may just want to completely reformat the hard drive at this point.

Once your PC is cleaned up, just follow the rule of thumb, "never download anything," and you'll be golden.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23262 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2006, 10:37 am - IP Logged

You are looking at a cached version of the page.  Click the Refresh button on your browser.

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: June 5, 2006, 10:38 am - IP Logged

Sounds like your virus problems have returned.

You may just want to completely reformat the hard drive at this point.

Once your PC is cleaned up, just follow the rule of thumb, "never download anything," and you'll be golden.

But if I restore it back to factory settings, won't I lose everything that I've saved, like the music and pictures, and everything in between?

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: June 5, 2006, 10:39 am - IP Logged

You are looking at a cached version of the page.  Click the Refresh button on your browser.

Thanx Todd, I'll try that. It's just that this has never ever happened before.

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23262 Posts
              Posted: June 5, 2006, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Pac,

If you're ever going to do a reformat, get an external hard drive that plugs into a USB port, and save everything to that.  (Documents, music, etc.)  After the reformat, you can restore them back to your My Documents folder, or wherever they go.  The only major pain in the butt is that you'll need to reinstall any software applications that did not come with your PC, so it generally takes a solid day to get your PC in order after a reformat. 

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: June 5, 2006, 10:53 am - IP Logged

Thanx, Todd. Appreciate the advice.

But too much for me to handle. I'll just take the tower in to a shop and let them handle it. I already messed up parts of the registry, and I don't want to tangle with things I don't understand.

computer

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                  Tx
                  United States
                  Member #4570
                  May 4, 2004
                  5180 Posts
                  Posted: June 5, 2006, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

Ghost in the computer the computer's Manitou.

There was a Toni Curtis or was it Tony Curtis? film about something like that.

Anyhow what I have done to my hard drive is:

That I got Partition Magic, Norton's Ghost and the OSL2000 Multi Boot Manager (OS Loader) along with an updated Win98 Boot Disk and partitioned my hard drive into very many partitions, 1 primary and many secondary ones, I installed Win98 on the primary partition installed all the needed drivers and programs and then copied the partition into a CD, I also copied the primary partititon into most of the secondary partitions, then I installed the OSL2000 boot loader into the primary partition.

Now I can boot my very old PC into anyone of those partitions when I turn the PC on and to change partitions all that I have to do is restart (reboot) the computer.

I know that most people can't do this as they don't know how and they don't have the programs that are needed.

It took me awhile to learn how to do it and then to find and get the needed programs.

Now, it takes me about 10 minuters to reload a new copy of my partition's "Image" into another partition or from the CD if I need to.

Cool, Right? I learned how to do that and other things on my own from internet tutorials.

Fernando.

But please don't ask me how, it is a done thing on my computer and I already forgot more or less how I did it, I did it quite a while back and already forgot the small details of how to do it.

Good luck.

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
                    Member #12618
                    March 18, 2005
                    2060 Posts
                    Posted: June 5, 2006, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

I would like to add my 2 cents if no one minds. I looked at that screen cap that you took and it looks like you may have been that last person respond to the education post, but someone else answered the poll so it got bumped. I hope I explained that right.

Honduras
                      Member #20982
                      August 29, 2005
                      4715 Posts
                      Posted: June 5, 2006, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

pacattack i was about to post something too. I was going to say that, when i visit this sites i get virus. Luckily i have virus protection. I was wondering if you all get the same problem. And last night i could not access top predictors, don't know if everybody had the same problem...