Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Statistically Speaking - QP's and PP's

Topic closed. 1161 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Todd.

Page 37 of 78
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7342 Posts
Posted: July 28, 2010, 12:52 am - IP Logged

Patrick mentioned Maddog's Challenges are the real tests and I agree, but I don't play them because if I happened to match all 5 numbers plus the bonus ball and not buy the tickets, there isn't a building tall enough in the world for me to jump off. And for that very reason, I'm not going to waste my time playing meaningless games with Visiondude or anybody else.

You do realize that even if you did score a 5+1 in one of Maddog's challenges there's still only a 1:3168 chance that you would have played the winning combination, don't you?  It's no worse then having all the winning numbers in a 46 lines wheel and matching 2+1 for $10 or several 2+0 and a 0+1 and getting $2.

If I played either Challenge, I'd use the 12 combo 3 if 4 wheel so I could use the four bonus balls three times; the odds against hitting the jackpot is "only" 1 in 264. I have checked the results when someone matches 3 + 1 or 3 + 0 and most of them would be covered in the wheel.

I didn't mean to imply the Challenges or predictions are meaningless, just these silly contests Visiondude is suggesting. I'm not a big fan of the "how will you spend your millions" threads either because they offer no constructive ideas of actually winning anything.

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
    light on my feet
    United States
    Member #356
    May 20, 2002
    2744 Posts
    Posted: July 28, 2010, 1:01 am - IP Logged

If I played either Challenge, I'd use the 12 combo 3 if 4 wheel so I could use the four bonus balls three times; the odds against hitting the jackpot is "only" 1 in 264. I have checked the results when someone matches 3 + 1 or 3 + 0 and most of them would be covered in the wheel.

I didn't mean to imply the Challenges or predictions are meaningless, just these silly contests Visiondude is suggesting. I'm not a big fan of the "how will you spend your millions" threads either because they offer no constructive ideas of actually winning anything.

the board now knows we were all in for another ride on the stack merry-go-round,   when you started your post with...........

"IF"

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7342 Posts
      Posted: July 28, 2010, 1:20 am - IP Logged

"it would show those 20 combos having 5 wbs in every drawing because RJ used all the wbs"

Correction:  I made an effort to cover all 59 WBs but could only cover 54 of them with the parameters I used. 

The distribution of the WBs would based on the last 40 drawings because that were the number of previous drawings that covered all 59 WB.  I had 20 lines because I had 20 MB.   I used 20 MB because they covered the most popular MB repeat positions and the the top most popular MBs.  That's how my system/strategy works.

For Wednesday drawing the distribution of the WBs will be based on the last 41 drawings because that's the number of previous drawings that covers all 59 WB.  I will play 18 lines because I have 18 MB.   I have 18 MB because they cover the most popular MB repeat positions and the the top most popular MBs. 

Each time I play I pick a unique group of combinations based on the most recent history of a game so comparing my picks to the next 100 drawings or more wouldn't be a fair evaluation of my system/strategy since  I do a new workup each time.

Even though Visiondude is only running a simulation of playing a game where he spends less than 20 seconds coming up with his QP combinations using the LP QP generator, the system players will have to spend the same amount of time picking combinations as if they were really playing which may be a lot of time they consider wasted if they aren't really playing as you point out.   Since I am actually playing or posting on the prediction board those combinations, it isn't that much extra time for me.

"Correction:  I made an effort to cover all 59 WBs but could only cover 54 of them with the parameters I used."

What would it show in the next 10,000 drawings if you use all 59 wbs?

When players use all 56 or 59 wbs in whatever amount of combos, they will always match all 5 wbs. If they play 46 or 39 combos, they can include all the bonus numbers too. Does it really make any difference how the wbs and bonus numbers are arranged into combos before the results are know?

I suppose one could compare the same number of combos using a RNG, but how does that RNG compare with actually purchasing a like number of QPs? 

Can a RNG tell prove it would be a better play and purchasing 46 or 39 QPs would be the better bet?

And a follow up to Ridge's question, "if a RNG is the better play and must be used as PPs, shouldn't the winning percentage of PPs be higher than the percentage of PP ticket purchases?

light on my feet
        United States
        Member #356
        May 20, 2002
        2744 Posts
        Posted: July 28, 2010, 1:26 am - IP Logged

Look under members in the blue menu bar and click my image manager

i read the instructions,  and even though they were in english, i couldn't figure out how to post a picture that i have on my computer.

since i am computer nearly illiterate,   i couldn't figure out how to make it happen.

none of my photos are "stored" on any other space,  nor do i think i wanna go thru the wrassle to do that.

stack really wants to see what i look like.

have to show him i look nothing like DIRGE VADER

any other suggestions?

light on my feet
          United States
          Member #356
          May 20, 2002
          2744 Posts
          Posted: July 28, 2010, 1:49 am - IP Logged

"I suppose one could compare the same number of combos using a RNG, but how does that RNG compare with actually purchasing a like number of QPs? "

despite my personal pic woes,  i  just remembered how to jack stuff off of google images.

unlucky timing for stack,   though.

with "me" precariously balancing on the end of stacks nose,  given his "unwillingness" (evidenced by his "im innocent look"),    i am not in danger of suffering from post traumatic myopic crosseyed nose to nose sindrome anytime soon. 

nope,  it seems if anything........stack will continue to "see me" off into farsighted land

maybe this is calculated. 

stack "nose"  that the longer his nose grows,  the fainter my voice becomes

what stack fails to realize (and completely underestimates me),  is that google has all kinds of images of cartoon characters i can jack to get back in his "ear" 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19898 Posts
            Posted: July 28, 2010, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

I suppose one could compare the same number of combos using a RNG, but how does that RNG compare with actually purchasing a like number of QPs? 

Can a RNG tell prove it would be a better play and purchasing 46 or 39 QPs would be the better bet?

QPs are generated by a RNG in a terminal, the fact that they are purchased shouldn't make them better or different than combinations generated by a free RNG.  The results of QPs are well documented, the question is whether a player with knowledge of past drawings can gain an advantage by picking his own numbers and combinations.  System players say they can but offer little more than their words as proof.  Judging from the responses in this thread, that's not going to change.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

light on my feet
              United States
              Member #356
              May 20, 2002
              2744 Posts
              Posted: July 28, 2010, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

QPs are generated by a RNG in a terminal, the fact that they are purchased shouldn't make them better or different than combinations generated by a free RNG.  The results of QPs are well documented, the question is whether a player with knowledge of past drawings can gain an advantage by picking his own numbers and combinations.  System players say they can but offer little more than their words as proof.  Judging from the responses in this thread, that's not going to change.

amen to that.

see how that works?

i respect honest people,  no matter how far apart we are on the "belief"  scale.

what's also telling,  is no one (except RJ) is taking me up on my offer to continue this,  to see how it really works over time,  despite claiming what happened was most likely fluke-ish the 1st time.

i got my finger on the LP generator button,  and it's a twitchen for some action.

step up to the plate for kicks and giggles

VISION

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10390 Posts
                Posted: July 28, 2010, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

After twenty days (rdgrnr started this post July 9) and 37 pages (on my settings anyway) can we make a few observations?

The PP'ers and the QP'ers will never convince each other their method of number selection is better.

Many players mix them up and play both.

Statistics tell us that there are more QP sales and thus more QP winners, the PB site even says, "Perhaps that's just a coincidence".

Someone who only plays QP is much likely to spend less on lotto, at least on a particular game.

For Pick 5, 6, and 5 + 1 no ,atter how many lines you play, you are most likely to hit any amount of numbers that result in no payoff, this includes not hitting anything. A lot of QP players convince themselves of this with $1, for some other players it takes a lot more than that.

There are people who will play all the +1 numbers to make sure they "win" something, but they're not really winning anything, they're making sure they get $2 or $3 back of $46 or $39 spent.

Even with Powerplay and Megaplier the average ticket played is still $1. If you watch the PB drawings between numbers drawn they will say, "Betty Boop won $10,000", not $40,000 or whatever the last Powerplay was.

Truth be known if the lottery is going to give you a check for millions of dollars how you got the numbers isn't going to exactly be your first priority at that moment.

When Frank Sinatra sang "My Way" he could not have had any idea how much it would pertain to lottery players and discussions!

Green laugh

Anyone remember an old Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam cartoon, "Draw, no you draw"?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7342 Posts
                  Posted: July 28, 2010, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

"To test my system I picked 25 lines using my system and 25 lines using the LP RNG"

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/180686/74

"Not much difference between the two."

Except that your system had all 5 WPS and the LP RNG didn't and your second test showed the same results. I know your goal is to eventually find a way to get the 5 WPS into the same line and that's what a system is all about. How does comparing your system to a RNG benefit your goal when a extended test will prove the RNG is hit or miss?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19898 Posts
                    Posted: July 28, 2010, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

"To test my system I picked 25 lines using my system and 25 lines using the LP RNG"

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/180686/74

"Not much difference between the two."

Except that your system had all 5 WPS and the LP RNG didn't and your second test showed the same results. I know your goal is to eventually find a way to get the 5 WPS into the same line and that's what a system is all about. How does comparing your system to a RNG benefit your goal when a extended test will prove the RNG is hit or miss?

How does comparing your system to a RNG benefit your goal when a extended test will prove the RNG is hit or miss?

It doesn't, it was just one way to compare my results to those of an independent RNG.  I've since started just tracking my results, calculating my overall win rate and comparing it with the calculated overall probability of a win which is just as good or better.  This data doesn't mean anything to the average lottery player, just to those who enjoy talking about the advantages of different ways of picking their numbers and combinations and posting them on the prediction board.

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19898 Posts
                      Posted: July 28, 2010, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

After twenty days (rdgrnr started this post July 9) and 37 pages (on my settings anyway) can we make a few observations?

The PP'ers and the QP'ers will never convince each other their method of number selection is better.

Many players mix them up and play both.

Statistics tell us that there are more QP sales and thus more QP winners, the PB site even says, "Perhaps that's just a coincidence".

Someone who only plays QP is much likely to spend less on lotto, at least on a particular game.

For Pick 5, 6, and 5 + 1 no ,atter how many lines you play, you are most likely to hit any amount of numbers that result in no payoff, this includes not hitting anything. A lot of QP players convince themselves of this with $1, for some other players it takes a lot more than that.

There are people who will play all the +1 numbers to make sure they "win" something, but they're not really winning anything, they're making sure they get $2 or $3 back of $46 or $39 spent.

Even with Powerplay and Megaplier the average ticket played is still $1. If you watch the PB drawings between numbers drawn they will say, "Betty Boop won $10,000", not $40,000 or whatever the last Powerplay was.

Truth be known if the lottery is going to give you a check for millions of dollars how you got the numbers isn't going to exactly be your first priority at that moment.

When Frank Sinatra sang "My Way" he could not have had any idea how much it would pertain to lottery players and discussions!

Green laugh

Anyone remember an old Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam cartoon, "Draw, no you draw"?

Even with Powerplay and Megaplier the average ticket played is still $1.

synonyms average, mean, median, norm mean something that represents a middle point.

How can the average ticket played be only $1 if the cheapest tickets are $1?. Green laugh

Evil Looking       

light on my feet
                        United States
                        Member #356
                        May 20, 2002
                        2744 Posts
                        Posted: July 28, 2010, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

well,  at least I was willing to go the distance.

i find it also telling that all the systems players are walking away from this,  and handing me the "victory".

because,  unless you are willing to extract it out over time yourselfyou can't truthfullly make the claim it was only a fluke that i won.

so,  by default (unless someone actually steps up)........i was right, 

......it's purely random

VISIONdiditoncebegladtodoitagainDUDE

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                          Harbinger
                          D.C./MD.
                          United States
                          Member #44103
                          July 30, 2006
                          5587 Posts
                          Posted: July 28, 2010, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

Where I am from,.................... the FAT lady doesn't sing until the game is over.

6-19-24-33-36 pb 5
                          8-19-25-33-36 pb 8
                          2-24-25-33-36 pb 10
                          7-19-26-33-36 pb 21 
                          6-25-26-33-36 pb 22
                          10-19-24-25-39 pb 23
                          8-19-25-26-39  pb 5
                          2-19-24-33-39  pb 8
                          6-24-25-33-39  pb 10
                          6-19-26-33-39  pb 21
                          7-24-26-33-39  pb 22
                          2-25-26-33-39  pb 23
                          7-19-24-36-39  pb 1
                          7-10-25-36-39  pb 2
                          2-19-25-36-39  pb 3
                          8-24-25-36-39  pb 4
                          10-19-26-36-39 pb 6
                          2-7-33-36-39   pb 7
                          6-8-33-36-39   pb 9
                          10-24-33-36-39 pb 10
                          6-19-24-25-45  pb 11
                          7-19-24-26-45  pb 12
                          2-19-25-26-45  pb 13
                          7-8-24-33-45   pb 14
                          6-10-24-33-45  pb 15
                          6-8-25-33-45   pb 16
                          6-7-26-33-45   pb 17
                          8-10-26-33-45  pb 18
                          2-24-26-33-45  pb 19
                          7-10-19-36-45  pb 20
                          6-7-24-36-45   pb 24
                          2-19-24-36-45  pb 25
                          7-8-25-36-45   pb 26
                          2-10-25-36-45  pb 27
                          6-19-26-36-45  pb 28
                          2-6-33-36-45   pb 29
                          6-8-19-39-45   pb 30
                          2-7-24-39-45   pb 31
                          8-10-24-39-45  pb 32
                          2-6-25-39-45   pb 33
                          2-8-26-39-45   pb 34
                          6-10-26-39-45  pb 35
                          2-10-33-39-45  pb 36
                          7-26-36-39-45  pb 37
                          2-19-24-25-49  pb 38
                          6-19-24-26-49  pb 39

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19898 Posts
                            Posted: July 28, 2010, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

09-22-34-53-55  + 37
                            22-28-31-36-45  + 11
                            15-19-21-24-36  + 32
                            11-26-31-32-56  + 27
                            24-28-32-58-59  + 32
                            01-24-45-47-51  + 07
                            40-43-44-49-50  + 36
                            20-39-56-57-59  + 08
                            15-17-21-49-59  + 14
                            05-10-14-17-48  + 02
                            05-22-36-39-48  + 21
                            16-19-26-33-35  + 26
                            05-21-22-34-39  + 10
                            05-09-23-33-58  + 13
                            07-30-42-53-57  + 37
                            06-15-31-38-43  + 19
                            19-22-31-54-58  + 22
                            10-11-50-52-53  + 06
                            08-10-20-36-40  + 15
                            04-08-19-49-59  + 05
                            06-09-17-46-51  + 19
                            03-05-22-57-58  + 29
                            13-19-23-35-43  + 18
                            09-45-47-55-57  + 10
                            12-22-32-53-56  + 26
                            10-23-34-38-56  + 37
                            28-38-44-48-53  + 12
                            03-11-27-30-53  + 06
                            01-15-44-45-58  + 14
                            18-38-40-45-53  + 15
                            12-20-32-46-52  + 21
                            08-12-25-33-37  + 03
                            20-23-26-38-58  + 11
                            16-17-30-42-45  + 25
                            25-31-50-55-58  + 04
                            03-21-23-44-56  + 04
                            09-31-41-43-57  + 36
                            20-22-41-45-52  + 07
                            06-10-38-39-43  + 03
                            08-32-37-46-55  + 33
                            23-34-39-54-57  + 38
                            01-08-21-43-50  + 13
                            09-23-46-56-58  + 24
                            03-06-09-21-39  + 33
                            11-20-31-43-53  + 11

45 Quick Picks for Powerball
                            Generated by Lottery Post's exclusive Quick Picks Generator
                            http://www.lotterypost.com/quickpicks

These are the 18 lines I picked for tonight's drawing using my system/strategy.  I posted the first ten lines on the prediction board. Even though 46 lines were generated I thought it might be interesting to see the performance improvement with the extra lines before this thread dies. 

08 21 45 47 55    +03
                             07 10 11 31 36    +06
                             06 13 19 37 57    +10
                             18 29 32 39 49    +38
                             09 23 28 50 58    +15
                             01 12 15 40 52    +27
                             04 24 27 38 44    +09
                             02 14 16 33 53    +21
                             05 34 46 48 59    +30
                             28 34 39 40 51    +32
                             01 13 23 44 46    +37
                             09 27 30 33 49    +04
                             10 15 38 53 55    +11
                             16 24 32 36 56    +29
                             06 17 29 41 48    +05
                             22 31 42 47 59    +20
                             11 25 30 37 52    +23
                             12 22 43 45 57    +25

Good luck.

Evil Looking       

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                              Harbinger
                              D.C./MD.
                              United States
                              Member #44103
                              July 30, 2006
                              5587 Posts
                              Posted: July 28, 2010, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

These are the 18 lines I picked for tonight's drawing using my system/strategy.  I posted the first ten lines on the prediction board. Even though 46 lines were generated I thought it might be interesting to see the performance improvement with the extra lines before this thread dies. 

08 21 45 47 55    +03
                               07 10 11 31 36    +06
                               06 13 19 37 57    +10
                               18 29 32 39 49    +38
                               09 23 28 50 58    +15
                               01 12 15 40 52    +27
                               04 24 27 38 44    +09
                               02 14 16 33 53    +21
                               05 34 46 48 59    +30
                               28 34 39 40 51    +32
                               01 13 23 44 46    +37
                               09 27 30 33 49    +04