Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Topic closed. 274 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 16 of 19
PrintE-mailLink

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Yes [ 31 ]  [27.43%]
No [ 65 ]  [57.52%]
Does it really matter? [ 17 ]  [15.04%]
Total Valid Votes [ 113 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: July 29, 2010, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

This topic has really spiralled away from the topic badly.  Please - NO MORE OFF TOPIC POSTS.

It is not on-topic to discuss the merits of being an illegal alien and political viewpoints on the subject of illegal immigration - the topic is whether or not illegal aliens should be able to claim lottery prizes.

Sorry about that Todd, I get carried away sometimes.

I'll try to stifle myself.   Yes Nod

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23261 Posts
    Posted: July 29, 2010, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

My personal opinion on this subject is that anyone who buys a lottery ticket should be able to claim the prize if they win.  Whether they are here illegally or not is a separate topic (IMHO), having nothing to do with their ability to win a lottery prize.  If you pay, you should be able to win.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

tiber's avatar - underground
      Port Orange florida
      United States
      Member #8611
      November 11, 2004
      2265 Posts
      Posted: July 29, 2010, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

My personal opinion on this subject is that anyone who buys a lottery ticket should be able to claim the prize if they win.  Whether they are here illegally or not is a separate topic (IMHO), having nothing to do with their ability to win a lottery prize.  If you pay, you should be able to win.

Thank you Todd for your input on the matterI Agree!

United States
        Member #75358
        June 1, 2009
        5345 Posts
        Posted: July 29, 2010, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

I don't think they are separate issues. They're participating in an activity reserved for folks who have the proper documentation. The two are inextricably linked. That's like saying it's OK for them to have a driver's license, as long as they pay for the fees.

They're too smart to cash in a ticket, so they'll find a legal friend to do it for them. Had they not played, a legal person may have won instead.

What worries me, is since they are doing something illegal like staying in this country, what other illegal activities would they encourage, especially after winning a large amount of money?

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #22395
          September 24, 2005
          1583 Posts
          Posted: July 29, 2010, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

As I stated in a previous post, the lotteries have been here through both parties administrations.  If there is no specific law that illegals cannot cash a lottery ticket, why?

You would think being illegal would be an "umbrella" law - so that anything you do here, would be illegal and you can be arrested and deported.

So, I agree that if you buy a ticket, you should be able to collect.  I agree there must be a few ways around collecting, whether a legal resident or illegal resident.  I agree that if you are here illegally, everything you do should be illegal.  Apparently the last item is not law.  Looks like you can do several things legally while being here illegally.

I would be in favor of a law that prevents illegals from playing the lottery and collecting any money for prizes requiring tax forms.  I don't think there is any practical way of preventing them from collecting prizes under $600.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19825 Posts
            Posted: July 29, 2010, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

As I stated in a previous post, the lotteries have been here through both parties administrations.  If there is no specific law that illegals cannot cash a lottery ticket, why?

You would think being illegal would be an "umbrella" law - so that anything you do here, would be illegal and you can be arrested and deported.

So, I agree that if you buy a ticket, you should be able to collect.  I agree there must be a few ways around collecting, whether a legal resident or illegal resident.  I agree that if you are here illegally, everything you do should be illegal.  Apparently the last item is not law.  Looks like you can do several things legally while being here illegally.

I would be in favor of a law that prevents illegals from playing the lottery and collecting any money for prizes requiring tax forms.  I don't think there is any practical way of preventing them from collecting prizes under $600.

I would be in favor of a law that prevents illegals from playing the lottery....

Who would enforce such a law, the sale clerks?  How many people would play lotteries if they had to show proof of citizenship every time they bought a lottery ticket?   Would the clerk has to report anyone who was trying to buy a $1 lottery ticket without proper ID?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: July 29, 2010, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

Sorry about that Todd, I get carried away sometimes.

I'll try to stifle myself.   Yes Nod

ridge like they say your beating a dead horse..

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #22395
                September 24, 2005
                1583 Posts
                Posted: July 29, 2010, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

I would be in favor of a law that prevents illegals from playing the lottery....

Who would enforce such a law, the sale clerks?  How many people would play lotteries if they had to show proof of citizenship every time they bought a lottery ticket?   Would the clerk has to report anyone who was trying to buy a $1 lottery ticket without proper ID?

This would only apply to tax form payouts.

No. Clerks wouldn't have to enforce it at all.  It would state on the ticket, similar to saying you must be 18 yrs old or older to play.  Whatever enforcement the lotteries have for that law - it would be the same for illegals. 

If there are kids winning big in the lottery and they find some way to get their tickets cashed, I'm sure illegals will too - can't catch them all.  But if fraud is suspected at least the lottery has some recourse by controlling the large payouts.  Right now it appears it is not illegal and the lottery is going to pay without concern.

threetwowin's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                  Livingston,LA
                  United States
                  Member #87677
                  February 28, 2010
                  612 Posts
                  Posted: July 29, 2010, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

I don't think they are separate issues. They're participating in an activity reserved for folks who have the proper documentation. The two are inextricably linked. That's like saying it's OK for them to have a driver's license, as long as they pay for the fees.

They're too smart to cash in a ticket, so they'll find a legal friend to do it for them. Had they not played, a legal person may have won instead.

What worries me, is since they are doing something illegal like staying in this country, what other illegal activities would they encourage, especially after winning a large amount of money?

I Agree!                100 percent correct

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
                    Member #55246
                    September 20, 2007
                    225 Posts
                    Posted: July 29, 2010, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

SOLO1's avatar - Myselfy

United States
                      Member #86280
                      February 1, 2010
                      918 Posts
                      Posted: July 29, 2010, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!                100 percent correct

Full of Dog Sqeeze!

SOLO1's avatar - Myselfy

United States
                        Member #86280
                        February 1, 2010
                        918 Posts
                        Posted: July 29, 2010, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Immigration status is a hot debate in this country. It varies from state to state, but many states do not have laws against illegal aliens claiming lottery prizes. Here in California an illegal immigrant collected a $2,000,000 prize and two days later was deported to Mexico, with his money. In North Carolina, lawmakers are trying to put into place a ban against undocumented people collecting prizes, whereas in South Carolina such a law already exists. Keep in mind that a common lottery scam is people giving money to a person who claims to not be able claim a lottery prize b/c they are illegal. Folks purchase the winning ticket off of them to find out that the ticket is fake or has no prize to claim. I'm not defending the intelligence of the victim in these cases, but it does happen.

My thought is that if you can purchase the ticket you should be able to collect the prize. The money spent still goes to state and education funds that the state puts towards them. So, regardless of who you are - if you can buy you can win.

What are your thoughts?

100 percentI Agree! with your though

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23261 Posts
                          Posted: July 29, 2010, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

That's not true.  There are absolutely no residency requirements for playing the lottery.  Anyone can play, regardless of their country of origin.  Crossing the border illegally is a crime, but buying a lottery ticket in the USA after illegally crossing the border is not.  Just like buying a cup of coffee is not.  There's no linkage.  You might not personally like it (and I am not specifying MY opinion on the matter), but those are the facts.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                            Member #75358
                            June 1, 2009
                            5345 Posts
                            Posted: July 29, 2010, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

That's not true.  There are absolutely no residency requirements for playing the lottery.  Anyone can play, regardless of their country of origin.  Crossing the border illegally is a crime, but buying a lottery ticket in the USA after illegally crossing the border is not.  Just like buying a cup of coffee is not.  There's no linkage.  You might not personally like it (and I am not specifying MY opinion on the matter), but those are the facts.

Then maybe the laws should change. I can't fathom anyone condoning illegal activities. Why should it be that all the other laws have to be followed through except the lottery?   

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19825 Posts
                              Posted: July 29, 2010, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Then maybe the laws should change. I can't fathom anyone condoning illegal activities. Why should it be that all the other laws have to be followed through except the lottery?   

Are you suggesting that the law should be changed to make everything an illegal immigrant does be illegal including buying a cup of coffee?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Page 16 of 19