Welcome Guest
You last visited October 21, 2017, 10:10 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Topic closed. 274 replies. Last post 7 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 18 of 19
PrintE-mailLink

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Yes [ 31 ]  [27.43%]
No [ 65 ]  [57.52%]
Does it really matter? [ 17 ]  [15.04%]
Total Valid Votes [ 113 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  

United States
Member #75358
June 1, 2009
5345 Posts
Posted: July 30, 2010, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

You know illegals can drive legally in some states?

Only seven states – Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah and Washington – allow undocumented immigrants to get driver’s licenses.

http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId=234828

They allow this because that's a way to keep tabs on their whereabouts.

United States
    Member #81843
    October 31, 2009
    856 Posts
    Posted: July 31, 2010, 3:27 am - IP Logged

Trespass is trespassing. Your federal ID will soon be your drivers license, and if you don’t drive there will still be a photo ID that is chipped.

Go walk around the baggage handling area behind the wall of the carousels at an airport where you have access to the tarmac and planes. See how far you get with any excuse, because if you’re not badged, you are trespassing.

Our sovereign soil is not sovereign when trespassers are wandering around no matter what excuse they have including everything they are doing. That includes buying a lottery ticket with the intention to win and illegally acquire property while in the act of trespassing. Illegal is illegal, or maybe all the states going bankrupt should encourage illegal aliens to squat here, have intimidating protests and strong arm their way into the dream that is reserved for citizens, who BTW the states govern.

Why should citizens be doormats to the economic distress illegal’s incur? They do not live and abide by our laws because they think being here is the entitlement to a country’s prosperity. They should work to make theirs better and not make ours suck like where they came from. If you don’t like all the taxes you pay, go watch the entitled wanderers buy groceries on your dime. They were passing out fresh adult salmon the other day for the entitled eligible’s. How come I was not eligible for one? Anyone know what an 18lb. Chinook salmon costs a voting citizen?

Here’s a good one, why not make LP PC and have it in several languages ? Like ten or more?

Oh, and the uninsured motorist insurance legal’s pay is BS too. At least in Oregon you have to have proof of insurance before you get the tags. Maybe illegal’s think America is like BurgerKing: have it your way.

DD

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #80614
      October 1, 2009
      16 Posts
      Posted: July 31, 2010, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

I feel ANYONE of age should be able to play, win, and collect. The difference is, all non-U.S. citizens winners, excluding permanent residents, should have to pay significantly more in taxes. 30% is not enough. I say make it 45% to 50% for federal taxes. There should also be a 5% penalty if you can’t prove you are here legally at the time winnings are collected. If I win a big jackpot, I would be in the 35% tax bracket and I’m paying capital gains taxes on my investments. They will pay less in taxes than I would and can go back to their country before spending or investing their winnings here. Will the government try to get them to file a tax return so they can get another 5% to match what I would pay in taxes?

I will quit playing the lottery, as soon as I break even.

addai1516's avatar - lib
        Newyork City NY / westland michigan
        United States
        Member #93153
        June 23, 2010
        4087 Posts
        Posted: July 31, 2010, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

I feel ANYONE of age should be able to play, win, and collect. The difference is, all non-U.S. citizens winners, excluding permanent residents, should have to pay significantly more in taxes. 30% is not enough. I say make it 45% to 50% for federal taxes. There should also be a 5% penalty if you can’t prove you are here legally at the time winnings are collected. If I win a big jackpot, I would be in the 35% tax bracket and I’m paying capital gains taxes on my investments. They will pay less in taxes than I would and can go back to their country before spending or investing their winnings here. Will the government try to get them to file a tax return so they can get another 5% to match what I would pay in taxes?

Should immigrants allowed to claim lottrey prizes ? Actually illegal immigrants should be allowed to claim their prizes and put their prizes into good use after tax so they don't be a burden to the system ...

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #22395
          September 24, 2005
          1583 Posts
          Posted: July 31, 2010, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Only seven states – Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah and Washington – allow undocumented immigrants to get driver’s licenses.

They allow this because that's a way to keep tabs on their whereabouts.

Maybe that is why they let them win lotteries too?!!!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
            Harbinger
            D.C./MD.
            United States
            Member #44103
            July 30, 2006
            5681 Posts
            Posted: July 31, 2010, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

You cannot collect more than $600 without a valid SS# ( on a document card etc.) and Driver license/state issued ID.  period, in MD.  remember what rules this state.  Try it,  you gotta have those 2 items or no dinero.

addai1516's avatar - lib
              Newyork City NY / westland michigan
              United States
              Member #93153
              June 23, 2010
              4087 Posts
              Posted: August 1, 2010, 12:09 am - IP Logged

You cannot collect more than $600 without a valid SS# ( on a document card etc.) and Driver license/state issued ID.  period, in MD.  remember what rules this state.  Try it,  you gotta have those 2 items or no dinero.

Its very easy to anything nowadays i know 99% of the nation are tax cheats . You can get around any lope hole ..lol

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: August 1, 2010, 3:52 am - IP Logged

Are you suggesting that the law should be changed to make everything an illegal immigrant does be illegal including buying a cup of coffee?

That would be a good start.

We are a nation of laws.

And when you exempt certain groups from certain laws, you abrogate the whole system.

And when you take it a step further and reward certain groups for circumventing and breaking our laws with perks and privileges normally reserved for law-abiding citizens you may as well suspend the Constitution and give King George his colonies back.

No, no cup of coffee, no Drivers License, no Library Card, no Education, no Healthcare, no Welfare, no Social Security, no Job, no Housing, no Lottery Jackpots, no nothing after you sneak into our country in violation of our laws. NOTHING.

There are people waiting to get in this country legally. Speed up the process for them and deport the criminals who snuck in illegally. Don't reward them.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                  Member #81843
                  October 31, 2009
                  856 Posts
                  Posted: August 1, 2010, 4:27 am - IP Logged

That would be a good start.

We are a nation of laws.

And when you exempt certain groups from certain laws, you abrogate the whole system.

And when you take it a step further and reward certain groups for circumventing and breaking our laws with perks and privileges normally reserved for law-abiding citizens you may as well suspend the Constitution and give King George his colonies back.

No, no cup of coffee, no Drivers License, no Library Card, no Education, no Healthcare, no Welfare, no Social Security, no Job, no Housing, no Lottery Jackpots, no nothing after you sneak into our country in violation of our laws. NOTHING.

There are people waiting to get in this country legally. Speed up the process for them and deport the criminals who snuck in illegally. Don't reward them.

Agreed.

Suspend the Constitution and we have martial law. I don’t know who will rule but it will likely be the UN. Anybody know when we last had foreign troops on our soil doing what foreign troops do? Does anybody know?????

Martial law: Then you will have to have your papers in order and free movement around this country will be very uncomfortable and difficult. We are getting there because this illegal immigrant chaos begs for new order. It will be for the common good without an old outdated Constitution. Think of the jobs this will make and the bennies for the snitches! No hoarding food! In Cambodia you could get capped in the head for saving food you grew from the commonwealth.

Oh, and there are provisions to suspend the Constitution in place. Take a tour of the Denver airport and look at the art while you’re looking for a place to buy some lottery tickets. What is hidden is in plane sight. We are so close, it is almost exciting.

DD

United States
                    Member #81843
                    October 31, 2009
                    856 Posts
                    Posted: August 1, 2010, 4:39 am - IP Logged

http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId=234828

Oh yea,… Orygon got with the program in case you don’t know.

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/02/06/illegal-alien-activists-march-for-oregon-drivers-licenses/

Boy were they p-o'd. You would think they have rights to protest against the LAW of the land!

Head'm up, move 'm out!

DD

Oh! looky What Warshington State is up to:

http://www.respectwashington.us/

R. E. S. P. E. C. T,.....  that is what it means to me,...

Harbinger
                      D.C./MD.
                      United States
                      Member #44103
                      July 30, 2006
                      5681 Posts
                      Posted: August 1, 2010, 7:50 am - IP Logged

Agreed.

Suspend the Constitution and we have martial law. I don’t know who will rule but it will likely be the UN. Anybody know when we last had foreign troops on our soil doing what foreign troops do? Does anybody know?????

Martial law: Then you will have to have your papers in order and free movement around this country will be very uncomfortable and difficult. We are getting there because this illegal immigrant chaos begs for new order. It will be for the common good without an old outdated Constitution. Think of the jobs this will make and the bennies for the snitches! No hoarding food! In Cambodia you could get capped in the head for saving food you grew from the commonwealth.

Oh, and there are provisions to suspend the Constitution in place. Take a tour of the Denver airport and look at the art while you’re looking for a place to buy some lottery tickets. What is hidden is in plane sight. We are so close, it is almost exciting.

DD

That is hilarious,  UN troops!  They are something to be feared! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

United States
                        Member #83701
                        December 13, 2009
                        225 Posts
                        Posted: August 1, 2010, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Immigration status is a hot debate in this country. It varies from state to state, but many states do not have laws against illegal aliens claiming lottery prizes. Here in California an illegal immigrant collected a $2,000,000 prize and two days later was deported to Mexico, with his money. In North Carolina, lawmakers are trying to put into place a ban against undocumented people collecting prizes, whereas in South Carolina such a law already exists. Keep in mind that a common lottery scam is people giving money to a person who claims to not be able claim a lottery prize b/c they are illegal. Folks purchase the winning ticket off of them to find out that the ticket is fake or has no prize to claim. I'm not defending the intelligence of the victim in these cases, but it does happen.

My thought is that if you can purchase the ticket you should be able to collect the prize. The money spent still goes to state and education funds that the state puts towards them. So, regardless of who you are - if you can buy you can win.

What are your thoughts?

I think that allowing illegal aliens to participate in the lotteries is a great way of keeping that money in the country as they are most likely going to just lose their shirts.   However, there should be some precautions if the winners are not legal residents of the state in that the tax withholdings should be increased from 25% (for federal taxes) to the highest marginal rate of 35% and likewise the state income tax with holding should also be increased to the maximum marginal rate to insure that they do not abscond without paying their taxes.   Also a hold should be place on three quarters of the remaining funds for at least a year so that if any fraud has been found, the funds can be seized.   Of course if a valid SSN isn't presented, that fact should be passed on to ICE for investigation possibly leading to deportation of the individual without access to most of his winnings until the year has passed during which any irregularities can be investigated while the money is still in the country.

United States
                          Member #81843
                          October 31, 2009
                          856 Posts
                          Posted: August 2, 2010, 1:25 am - IP Logged

That is hilarious,  UN troops!  They are something to be feared! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

When US Soldiers are under UN control they have no duty to Obey their first Oath. The moment they put that UN patch on their Uniform they swear their allegiance to the United Nations. Military might of our troops and our technology is not proprietary to the USA under UN oath. LOL at the idea of UN troops here. Humor is a good release.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/september2005/080905troopsinvade.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_response_to_Hurricane_Katrina   Notice the mesicans flew their flag on our soil. Just a milk run to get us used to the idea. Why did they not just send their Red Cross group? Why did we not demand that?

How’s your mandarin? http://users.rcn.com/zap.dnai/troops.htm

Troops need transport: http://www.newswatchmagazine.org/unvehpict/home.htm

Opps: http://www.usasurvival.org/ck102602.shtml

UN and FEMA , what is the next executive order? Wait for the chaos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o0T2iNlQi0

Yea, a big joke is going on. Laugh it up, light one up, crack a beer and a bottle and daydream of life after winning the big one. No personal asset will buy your way out of this one. Dream about the little things Iike the news and small problems like illegal immigrants winning a big one. You will long for the days when Men like Weiner could stand and speak out no matter what you think about the topic. Days when we could get uptight about what manner of play was the best. These are the good times.

DD

Harbinger
                            D.C./MD.
                            United States
                            Member #44103
                            July 30, 2006
                            5681 Posts
                            Posted: August 2, 2010, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

When US Soldiers are under UN control they have no duty to Obey their first Oath. The moment they put that UN patch on their Uniform they swear their allegiance to the United Nations. Military might of our troops and our technology is not proprietary to the USA under UN oath. LOL at the idea of UN troops here. Humor is a good release.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/september2005/080905troopsinvade.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_response_to_Hurricane_Katrina   Notice the mesicans flew their flag on our soil. Just a milk run to get us used to the idea. Why did they not just send their Red Cross group? Why did we not demand that?

How’s your mandarin? http://users.rcn.com/zap.dnai/troops.htm

Troops need transport: http://www.newswatchmagazine.org/unvehpict/home.htm

Opps: http://www.usasurvival.org/ck102602.shtml

UN and FEMA , what is the next executive order? Wait for the chaos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o0T2iNlQi0

Yea, a big joke is going on. Laugh it up, light one up, crack a beer and a bottle and daydream of life after winning the big one. No personal asset will buy your way out of this one. Dream about the little things Iike the news and small problems like illegal immigrants winning a big one. You will long for the days when Men like Weiner could stand and speak out no matter what you think about the topic. Days when we could get uptight about what manner of play was the best. These are the good times.

DD

Yeah and they'll put Wesley Clark in command.  I'm still LMAO.

The UN is a bunch of wishy washy loser french legion can't even keep peace in 3rd. world $h17 holes jokes for soldiers.

Green laugh  C'mon let's partay w/ the UN troops,  they love free beer.

United States
                              Member #81843
                              October 31, 2009
                              856 Posts
                              Posted: August 2, 2010, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

Yeah and they'll put Wesley Clark in command.  I'm still LMAO.

The UN is a bunch of wishy washy loser french legion can't even keep peace in 3rd. world $h17 holes jokes for soldiers.

Green laugh  C'mon let's partay w/ the UN troops,  they love free beer.

Yea I’m having a good laugh too thinking that the dregs of UN chartered military get sent to the front line. Hey do you think the UN could solve our illegal immigration problems? They already have ruled on it and only our itty bitty sovereignty rag of social order is in conflict.

Maybe they are wishy-washy but didn’t Wesley Clark get in the UN commander’s face for almost starting WWIII? Remember, when called to duty, every UN troop takes orders from the UN chain of command. The UN has the ability to mass the world’s largest force- might not be the most technological, but you don’t need the technology to go house to house, you need coordinated numbers and force.

We are not a well regulated civilian militia, heck we don’t even have standardized weapons and munitions like colonialists did. There is not one civilian defense point that could last more than a few days during a sweep. What movie did you watch or TV show gave you the idea we were Sovereign from the UN decisions and governing? Keifer Sutherland as Jack whatshisname could save us all by himself and keep the electricity and water on at the same time. I saw some of that show and it is the most screwed up BS for entertainment out there.

Well ,time to get some numbers, enjoy the quiet and dream I am an illegal liv’n large on the land. I’m getting rid of my disposable income before it gets seized, sleazed and sliced and diced.

DD

Page 18 of 19