Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Topic closed. 274 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 8 of 19
PrintE-mailLink

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Yes [ 31 ]  [27.43%]
No [ 65 ]  [57.52%]
Does it really matter? [ 17 ]  [15.04%]
Total Valid Votes [ 113 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  

United States
Member #75358
June 1, 2009
5345 Posts
Posted: July 23, 2010, 9:51 am - IP Logged

I am not convinced illegals should or should not be able to play the lottery based on the arguments so far.  But I do have questions.

Do you or anyone know for a fact if illegals cannot play a lottery in foreign countries?  Can you site a law?  Canada?  Can US citizens play the lottery there if we enter illegally?

There are several countries that offer foreigners a chance to play their lotteries.  At least according to mail I used to receive from companies that will buy the tickets for you.  There are online companies that do the same - why couldn't someone from a foreign country play online US lotteries?  (Where's Pumpi when you need him?  Pumpi you've been to a few countries, can you play the US lotteries online?)

So, hypothetically, anyone in the world can play our lotteries either online or by mail until someone can prove otherwise.  Say a person would sneak into the US illegally but just doesn't have the ways and means to do that...yet that person can sit at their computer and play our lotteries all day long? 

Let's say a foreign gang member or drug dealer or other criminal gets into the US illegally.  Do they bother to register for welfare or other aid?  Are they actually sucking government money and benefits?  Let's say some illegals are getting all the maximum benefits available.  If they win the lottery, what if they took out the cost of benefits they received before handing over a check?  Like they do for back taxes and child support.  Then, removing the argument that they are a drain on our economy, etc; is it OK if they play the lottery?

Note: I don't think illegals should have access to government programs or benefits or driver's licenses.  Far as I am concerned if they get into a shoot-out and they can't pay the emergency room up front, they can bleed to death.  Even if they are honorable people, they should go through the process to become US citizens.  I am all for protecting our borders with military force.

Being here illegally doesn't prevent them from buying anything they want, as long as they have the money.  The cost of this product (lottery) is $1.00.   Granted it is a unique product.   They contributed the same amount as anyone else.  They did their "fair share."  We don't stop them from shopping and spending money in any stores or other products.  They contribute to the economy.  Why stop them from that one item (lottery)?

If it all comes down to money, then is it wise to deport them once they win?  Why not make them go through the process of becoming a citizen and keeping their prize money here in the US?  Or possibly deport them and hold the prize money in escrow until they file and become US citizens?

We already allow people with a felony record to win the lottery.  As I think it should be.  Some of the worst offenders have won.  Why is being here illegally worse than that?

Whether we can play overseas is not the issue at hand. This isn't a tit-for-tat.

If a person who sneaks into this country and plays online will have to use a legal friend to cash the ticket, if they are stupid enough ito trust an online company in the first place. Then the illegal spends the rest of the time here illegally, but richer. Or sends the money back home illegally. He or she may even cause more trouble because the person now has the financial backing to sneak more immigrants into the country. Maybe something worse than that even. I don't know, but with the statistics that cointoss presented, it wouldn't be a good thing.

As for illegals getting welfare and other benefits. They are doing it illegally with fake IDs and false stories. The children get the benefits because they claim the husband is elswhere, but he is working and is in the household. They get jobs by providing stolen Social Security cards, and fake IDs. That is no justification to allow them to win a JP, and then deduct everything they sucked dry. It was a crime beforehand, and should be afterwards. Maybe those laws should be adjusted also, and again, that is no justification. Stop making excuses for these people. They are illegal...period.

About 14 years ago, my citizenship certificate was stolen by a roommate when I was living in New York. Some illegal probably has my certificate, and replaced my picture with theirs. If he or she wins the JP, do you think I could give a rat's ass whether he gives back what he sucked dry?.....I want that sucker in jail, for forcing me to have to spend $380.00 to get a certified copy of my citizenship paper, and possibly commiting a crime under my name. He or she created the market for this, which my roommate took advantage of. 

As far as I'm concerned, a felon should be able to claim their  JP money after they've done their time. They've paid for the crime by doing time, so winning a JP in my opinion shouldn't be an issue, or made as a comparison or justification like you've attempted to do. Apples and oranges.

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
    mississippi
    United States
    Member #34478
    March 3, 2006
    5906 Posts
    Posted: July 23, 2010, 10:03 am - IP Logged

You always hear this group mention on T.V how much they contribute to the United States economy..but you never hear them mention how much trouble they cause for the United States..

THIS is exactly why AMERICANS do not want them here at all..I think it was last year..maybe the year before a local company was raided and I believe hundreds of illegals were arrested at this company and the local news was there and it showed the AMERICANS clapping when they took the illegals away...the AMERICANS that worked there were the ones that reported them..

You know whats the problem..you see..everybody knows they dont want them here..but the UNITED STATES cant be seen as refusing to let people come here seeking a better life..how would that look to the rest of the world..oh no..the UNITED STATES is refusing to help poor people..so they turned their back on the situation hoping it would dissappear..now the problem has gotten out of hand and they dont know what to do about it..that is why Arizona took matters into their own hands because the FEDERAL gov. wouldnt do anything about it..

The way I see it is this..they have to round up every single illegal in the country and deport them RIGHT NOW and close our border completely and then control who enters our country LEGALLY..and this has to be done right now because if we keep waiting..in 10 years the problems we have right now will be multiplied and we could have a situation that is going to get way out of control..some serious rioting going on is what I see happening in the future if we dont snuff this out right now!!!!

AND ONE OF THE WORSE PROBLEMS WE HAVE IS THIS..what happened to wanting to be an AMERICAN..if you want to come to AMERICA and be an AMERICAN..then leave your other crap at home..I dont give a rats ass about CINCO DEMAYO..ok..this is AMERICA..I only care about our independence day..I dont care about ST. PATRICKS DAY..I am not interesting in celebrating other country traditions..being AMERICAN is more than just coming here for freedom..it has been and must be about learning to be and AMERICAN..that means learning ENGLISH..working hard...get an education..being a resposible adult..taking care of your kids..etc..etc..you know..the things THAT MOST  AMERICANS do and are proud of..

see our federal government didnt mind having immigrants to fill up our country but they reminded them to leave their old ways and crap at home because they were afraid( TH E US. GOV.) that the new immigrants would try and set up a new sovereign government in one of the new states..that was a concern then..that is basically what is happening now..the more of them we let over here THAT DOESNT LEARN ENGLISH and we let them slide on learning and acting like true AMERICANS the more we will lose of our country..because they will take it through overwhelming our population

you see it happening..when I was growing up..I never saw any hispanics growing up..except on TV..now they are everywhere and when you see them in public..what are they speaking?..SPANISH..and that pisses me off more than anything..LEARN ENGLISH..LEARN TO BE AMERICAN..or get the hell out of my country...

and I absolutely believe these STATS are true

ARIZONAFBI STATS ... WHY THEY NEED THE NEW LAW

With all the negative reports being printed in the news media here are the statistics they fail to report.   The numbers don't lie. And these are the official numbers that are usually kept under what they really are. Please pass this along.

Well folks, here are the numbers The following information IS compiled from Federal Bureau of Investigation and Department of Homeland Security reports
    :

* 83% of warrants for murder in Phoenix are for illegal aliens.

* 86% of warrants for murder in Albuquerque are forillegal aliens.

* 75% of those on the most wanted list in Los Angeles , Phoenix and Albuquerque areillegal aliens.

* 24.9% of all inmates in California detention centers are Mexican nationals

* 40.1% of all inmates in Arizona detention centers are Mexican nationals

* 48.2% of all inmates in New Mexico detention centers are Mexican nationals

* 29% (630,000) convicted illegal alien felons fill our state and Federal prisons at a cost of $1.6 billion annually

* 53% plus of all investigated burglaries reported in California, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona and Texas are perpetrated by illegal aliens.

* 50% plus of all gang members in Los Angeles are illegal aliens

* 71% plus of all apprehended cars stolen in 2005 in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California were stolen by Illegal aliens or "transport coyotes".

* 47% of cited/stopped drivers in California have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 47%, 92% are illegal aliens.

* 63% of cited/stopped drivers in Arizona have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 63%, 97% are illegal aliens

* 66% of cited/stopped drivers in New Mexico have no license, no insurance and no registration for the vehicle. Of that 66% 98% are illegal aliens.

* 380,000 plus "anchor babies" were born in the US to illegal alien parents in just one year, making 380,000 babies automatically US citizens (which is UN-Constitutional; illegal).

* 97.2% of all costs incurred from those illegal births were paid by the American taxpayers. That is almost ALL of them !

And remember YOU are supporting ALL of these illegal's no matter where they are now. Every time another illegal runs the border breaking our laws, your pocket just gets lighter and robbed more.

It's Lotto, not horseshoes or artillery!
    Close doesn't count!

I sell everything at a loss but make up for it in volume
    - Milo Minderbinder, Catch-22

There are two kinds of jackpot winners...the ones who remained anonymous and the ones that wish they had.

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

tiber's avatar - underground
      Port Orange florida
      United States
      Member #8611
      November 11, 2004
      2265 Posts
      Posted: July 23, 2010, 10:22 am - IP Logged

You could have said all that a lot easier in 4 short words: I voted for Obama.

And their it is who said this topic isn't about race.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
        Member #47420
        November 4, 2006
        3930 Posts
        Posted: July 23, 2010, 10:33 am - IP Logged

tiber..You brought up the race issue ridge was saying he voted for a Democrat..

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #22395
          September 24, 2005
          1583 Posts
          Posted: July 23, 2010, 10:35 am - IP Logged

Whether we can play overseas is not the issue at hand. This isn't a tit-for-tat.

If a person who sneaks into this country and plays online will have to use a legal friend to cash the ticket, if they are stupid enough ito trust an online company in the first place. Then the illegal spends the rest of the time here illegally, but richer. Or sends the money back home illegally. He or she may even cause more trouble because the person now has the financial backing to sneak more immigrants into the country. Maybe something worse than that even. I don't know, but with the statistics that cointoss presented, it wouldn't be a good thing.

As for illegals getting welfare and other benefits. They are doing it illegally with fake IDs and false stories. The children get the benefits because they claim the husband is elswhere, but he is working and is in the household. They get jobs by providing stolen Social Security cards, and fake IDs. That is no justification to allow them to win a JP, and then deduct everything they sucked dry. It was a crime beforehand, and should be afterwards. Maybe those laws should be adjusted also, and again, that is no justification. Stop making excuses for these people. They are illegal...period.

About 14 years ago, my citizenship certificate was stolen by a roommate when I was living in New York. Some illegal probably has my certificate, and replaced my picture with theirs. If he or she wins the JP, do you think I could give a rat's ass whether he gives back what he sucked dry?.....I want that sucker in jail, for forcing me to have to spend $380.00 to get a certified copy of my citizenship paper, and possibly commiting a crime under my name. He or she created the market for this, which my roommate took advantage of. 

As far as I'm concerned, a felon should be able to claim their  JP money after they've done their time. They've paid for the crime by doing time, so winning a JP in my opinion shouldn't be an issue, or made as a comparison or justification like you've attempted to do. Apples and oranges.

My question about playing as an illegal overseas was for dr65 (or anyone that can verify).  She made a flat statement that you cannot collect "one penny."   I just want to see verification if that is indeed true. 

Quote from dr65..."Travel to any foreign country that runs a lottery, buy your lottery ticket and collect your winnings if your numbers match. No problemo...UNLESS

you have entered their country illegally with the intent of remaining there indefinitely, neglected to register as a permanent resident or become a

citizen of that nation.

Then, don't collect one <snip> penny."

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #74096
            May 2, 2009
            23248 Posts
            Posted: July 23, 2010, 10:35 am - IP Logged

and there it is..you just made it about race.

Voted for Obama as in voted for rotten policy and ideals..which are only ideal to his kind.

Not as in voted for a black man.

To me, that has not a thing to do with it.

We are talking about illegal immigrants...the term, the status, the crime. That has no color.

New York,
              Panama
              Member #73078
              April 4, 2009
              3490 Posts
              Posted: July 23, 2010, 10:53 am - IP Logged

and there it is..you just made it about race.

Voted for Obama as in voted for rotten policy and ideals..which are only ideal to his kind.

Not as in voted for a black man.

To me, that has not a thing to do with it.

We are talking about illegal immigrants...the term, the status, the crime. That has no color.

dr, Oh my goodness, gracious!!!! What???!! What is wrong with people!!!Poke

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                Member #47420
                November 4, 2006
                3930 Posts
                Posted: July 23, 2010, 10:58 am - IP Logged

tiggs said the same thing in his post above??..You miss that?...Hellooooooooooo.....

New York,
                  Panama
                  Member #73078
                  April 4, 2009
                  3490 Posts
                  Posted: July 23, 2010, 11:11 am - IP Logged

tiber?!! What is wrong with you??!!! Why do you want to take a perfectly legitimate discussion about Illegal people coming here and doing a bunch of evil things??!! 

An Illegal resident Winning the Lottery! is it right?, some say yes! It is Right!  some like myself say NO!! It's wrong!!!! 

We have the RUSIAN Mafia HERE, and HATIANS, also the CHINESE Mafia MEXICANS, COLOMBIANS,  in New York they A great Number of them are Illegals I know that for A fACT!!! They do some bad stuff here and I see them buying Lottery!

Stop, playing the role of the victim where none is waranted!!! 

We are Speaking about   RIGHT    Versus   WRONG!!!!

NOT COLOR!!!!!  Legal Versus Illegal NOT COLOR!!! Please stop it! 

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

New York,
                    Panama
                    Member #73078
                    April 4, 2009
                    3490 Posts
                    Posted: July 23, 2010, 11:16 am - IP Logged

tiber..You brought up the race issue ridge was saying he voted for a Democrat..

Ok Tiggs, but.. You forgot to say "OH MY GOONESS WHAT IS  WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!"! LOL..LOLSmile

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #74096
                      May 2, 2009
                      23248 Posts
                      Posted: July 23, 2010, 11:18 am - IP Logged

My question about playing as an illegal overseas was for dr65 (or anyone that can verify).  She made a flat statement that you cannot collect "one penny."   I just want to see verification if that is indeed true. 

Quote from dr65..."Travel to any foreign country that runs a lottery, buy your lottery ticket and collect your winnings if your numbers match. No problemo...UNLESS

you have entered their country illegally with the intent of remaining there indefinitely, neglected to register as a permanent resident or become a

citizen of that nation.

Then, don't collect one <snip> penny."

My statement, primarily to perdue, was made in this context:

If you are here illegally, play and win the lottery, you do not deserve to collect one da mn dime.

Different states use different terms....resident alien, registered alien, non-resident alien..the example perdue included in her post about

aliens in TX included some of those words. It did not mention illegal aliens. I, also, would like to see legitimate reference (not what human rights

groups say should be so or what soft hearts think should happen) regarding the handling of illegal aliens and lottery jackpot winnings.

There are some stories here on Lottery Post concerning illegal status and lottery winnings. One in particular had the I.A. facing jail time because

he knew there would be a problem collecting his winnings so incorporated a friend into his scheme to stay under the radar by sending the friend

to collect.

Search and you'll find nationally, (because internationally does not matter in this post right now) that there have been cases of I.A.'s trying

to claim prizes and coming up empty in the prize department but full of riches in the deportation department.

Very rightly so I'll add.

Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #74096
                        May 2, 2009
                        23248 Posts
                        Posted: July 23, 2010, 11:26 am - IP Logged

Isn't it mind blowing sometimes?

Someone will always play the race card or try to make an issue one of race rather than stick to the main point. Some people thrive on comments

they can warp in a way to show racism is rampant in the US.

Who said anything at all about race? No one, up until what's his name popped in. You're right jrosina, what is wrong with people.

Do we have a bigger stick to poke these people with?

How about a big hammer too?

Bash

New York,
                          Panama
                          Member #73078
                          April 4, 2009
                          3490 Posts
                          Posted: July 23, 2010, 11:34 am - IP Logged

Isn't it mind blowing sometimes?

Someone will always play the race card or try to make an issue one of race rather than stick to the main point. Some people thrive on comments

they can warp in a way to show racism is rampant in the US.

Who said anything at all about race? No one, up until what's his name popped in. You're right jrosina, what is wrong with people.

Do we have a bigger stick to poke these people with?

How about a big hammer too?

Bash

I Agree! The hammer!!LoL!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #22395
                            September 24, 2005
                            1583 Posts
                            Posted: July 23, 2010, 11:39 am - IP Logged

My statement, primarily to perdue, was made in this context:

If you are here illegally, play and win the lottery, you do not deserve to collect one da mn dime.

Different states use different terms....resident alien, registered alien, non-resident alien..the example perdue included in her post about

aliens in TX included some of those words. It did not mention illegal aliens. I, also, would like to see legitimate reference (not what human rights

groups say should be so or what soft hearts think should happen) regarding the handling of illegal aliens and lottery jackpot winnings.

There are some stories here on Lottery Post concerning illegal status and lottery winnings. One in particular had the I.A. facing jail time because

he knew there would be a problem collecting his winnings so incorporated a friend into his scheme to stay under the radar by sending the friend

to collect.

Search and you'll find nationally, (because internationally does not matter in this post right now) that there have been cases of I.A.'s trying

to claim prizes and coming up empty in the prize department but full of riches in the deportation department.

Very rightly so I'll add.

Well, I would agree that international isn't a part of the original question.  It was your statement about other countries not paying "one penny" that make me question if that is indeed true?  I wouldn't know how to exactly search for foreign law regarding your statement, so I asked if you or anyone can provide a link or other proof to support your statement.

Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #74096
                              May 2, 2009
                              23248 Posts
                              Posted: July 23, 2010, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

Well, I would agree that international isn't a part of the original question.  It was your statement about other countries not paying "one penny" that make me question if that is indeed true?  I wouldn't know how to exactly search for foreign law regarding your statement, so I asked if you or anyone can provide a link or other proof to support your statement.

I read over your post and mine once more. I think it is easy to confuse and be confusing on the threads sometimes. So much to read, so many

points and a lot to keep abreast of...my statement in my post concerning: go to a foreign country - play their lottery - match the winning numbers

and collect UNLESS you happen to be there illegally - again tied into a response to perdue's post.

The fact that she was almost vehement in her argument over whether aliens can play in other countries and collect, was tainted by the notion

that an alien, illegal or not, who pays for thier tickets should be able to collect their winnings.

My beef with that is IT IS A HORSE OF A DIFFERENT COLOR. I did not think we were discussing anything more than I.A.'s collecting jackpots

in the USA and whether they should be able to do so.

Visitors, tourists, non-resident aliens, international employees, resident aliens, people passing through other countries on their travels elsewhere

have a right to buy and collect winnings. Rules for some states games include language strictly pertaining to this type player.

My point about players in other countries was missing clarification and I see why you question it. In her point about playing in Canada, etc...the

reason that is legitimate is because someone traveling to Canada legally has a right to play and collect because they have their papers in order.

So, play and collect while being legally in that country. On the other hand, an I.A. is crossing the border with no intention of making themselves

a permament resident, getting a visa, etc and come here with the intention to bypass laws then they do not have a right to pocket any wins.

I think my original statement, was misinterpreted because I neglected to stress:

Come to THIS country illegally and they should not be able to collect one red cent.

whew!

Page 8 of 19