Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Topic closed. 274 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 19
PrintE-mailLink

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Yes [ 31 ]  [27.43%]
No [ 65 ]  [57.52%]
Does it really matter? [ 17 ]  [15.04%]
Total Valid Votes [ 113 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
New York,
Panama
Member #73078
April 4, 2009
3490 Posts
Posted: July 21, 2010, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

I swear Todd has posted a news story or two of non-Americans playing the lottery and winning and collecting their winnings. I have not heard of a rule or law that states that you have to be a citizen to play or win, so I'm not seeing how it is illegal.

It's a simple question of le ga li ty....They are not supposed to be in the country???....Unless Todd knows a loophole that none of us know about?!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: July 21, 2010, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

It's a simple question of le ga li ty....They are not supposed to be in the country???....Unless Todd knows a loophole that none of us know about?!

I know what the situation means. It doesn't change the fact, that in a lot of states, you can win on lottery tickets whether you are legal or not. If people don't like it, help to get it changed. Apparently, some states are trying to make it so illegal immigrants can't collect winnings. I believe North Carolina is one of those states.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
      Harbinger
      D.C./MD.
      United States
      Member #44103
      July 30, 2006
      5583 Posts
      Posted: July 21, 2010, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

In order to collect a prize greater than $600 you gotta have 2 IDs license and something with your social number on it.  I'll ask one of my customers that has lottery machines in his store that is an agent plus and see what he says.  I know for a fact that people get others to cash 600+ winners all the time.  Breaking the law is easy.

New York,
        Panama
        Member #73078
        April 4, 2009
        3490 Posts
        Posted: July 21, 2010, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

I know what the situation means. It doesn't change the fact, that in a lot of states, you can win on lottery tickets whether you are legal or not. If people don't like it, help to get it changed. Apparently, some states are trying to make it so illegal immigrants can't collect winnings. I believe North Carolina is one of those states.

Well Scary; teach me something! Because I did not know about that at all! and pray tell how they manage to collect their winnings whithout the proper ID?  Do they Give them a sort of Pass?!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: July 21, 2010, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Well Scary; teach me something! Because I did not know about that at all! and pray tell how they manage to collect their winnings whithout the proper ID?  Do they Give them a sort of Pass?!

Here is one story of a couple who was illegal and they collected 3.5 million. I am not a law expert, but it happens.

Also, from the Powerball website it says this:

CAN A NON-RESIDENT WIN POWERBALL?

If you legally purchase a Powerball ticket, you can play the game and you can collect prizes. You do not have to be a citizen or a resident to play the game. You can be a tourist. That said, some states (MD, NC, ND) do have rules that seem to imply that a winner must produce evidence of citizenship or a federal SSN, but there are other ways to hold back taxes for a winner who does not have a U.S. SSN. Occasionally, some state lawmaker talks about limiting wins to U.S. citizens, but no laws have passed so far.

So hypothetically speaking, someone who is illegal could buy a ticket (in some states), win and just go back to their home country, but they would have to pay taxes.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

New York,
            Panama
            Member #73078
            April 4, 2009
            3490 Posts
            Posted: July 21, 2010, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

In order to collect a prize greater than $600 you gotta have 2 IDs license and something with your social number on it.  I'll ask one of my customers that has lottery machines in his store that is an agent plus and see what he says.  I know for a fact that people get others to cash 600+ winners all the time.  Breaking the law is easy.

Jara,  Only if you can Play the guitar...LOL...LOL..

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

New York,
              Panama
              Member #73078
              April 4, 2009
              3490 Posts
              Posted: July 21, 2010, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

Here is one story of a couple who was illegal and they collected 3.5 million. I am not a law expert, but it happens.

Also, from the Powerball website it says this:

CAN A NON-RESIDENT WIN POWERBALL?

If you legally purchase a Powerball ticket, you can play the game and you can collect prizes. You do not have to be a citizen or a resident to play the game. You can be a tourist. That said, some states (MD, NC, ND) do have rules that seem to imply that a winner must produce evidence of citizenship or a federal SSN, but there are other ways to hold back taxes for a winner who does not have a U.S. SSN. Occasionally, some state lawmaker talks about limiting wins to U.S. citizens, but no laws have passed so far.

So hypothetically speaking, someone who is illegal could buy a ticket (in some states), win and just go back to their home country, but they would have to pay taxes.

Scary, now you got me upset! I am going to say this again! Massachusetts, will not let go a Quad??!!!; but they let, pernitted, allowed the Illegal Murphy's pull a murphy on people and the State????!!!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                Member #47420
                November 4, 2006
                3930 Posts
                Posted: July 21, 2010, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Scary, now you got me upset! I am going to say this again! Massachusetts, will not let go a Quad??!!!; but they let, pernitted, allowed the Illegal Murphy's pull a murphy on people and the State????!!!!

WHAT???....Are you legal??..

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
                  Member #88435
                  March 16, 2010
                  397 Posts
                  Posted: July 21, 2010, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

If she isn't legal maybe you and rdgrnr can adopt her. Wink

$1,000,000

New York,
                    Panama
                    Member #73078
                    April 4, 2009
                    3490 Posts
                    Posted: July 21, 2010, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

WHAT???....Are you legal??..

Yes, tiggs since the age of 7 in this country.. legally and brought up in my USA  from  grade school!! My question is are you???!!!  And don't tell me that you are because  you speak like a real foreign person!!! LOL  LOL

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                      Member #52345
                      May 21, 2007
                      2659 Posts
                      Posted: July 21, 2010, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

The money should be taken from them and put into a fund to help the families of all the Americans that have been murdered by illegal aliens.

Then deport them.

I Agree!

New York,
                        Panama
                        Member #73078
                        April 4, 2009
                        3490 Posts
                        Posted: July 21, 2010, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

If she isn't legal maybe you and rdgrnr can adopt her. Wink

THRUST...LOL. if I werent... been adopted by Tiggs might be kind a cool I could talk to the Brain and all, But rd???weelllll What?I don't think I could or would live at the  or near the Mcnuts's without a A-K 47 in my hands going up, or down them hills!!! LOL..Hahaha....

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: July 21, 2010, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

I swear Todd has posted a news story or two of non-Americans playing the lottery and winning and collecting their winnings. I have not heard of a rule or law that states that you have to be a citizen to play or win, so I'm not seeing how it is illegal.

The Poll question wasn't "Is it legal?"

The question was "Should it be legal?"

And it should not be legal for an illegal alien criminal on the loose to profit from money wagered by legal, law-abiding Americans.

They don't deserve to profit from disobeying our laws.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

New York,
                            Panama
                            Member #73078
                            April 4, 2009
                            3490 Posts
                            Posted: July 21, 2010, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

NO.

Ok dr, The Illegal Murphy's from Boston, Mass. not withstanding!!  I did not think so!!!  Thank you!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                              Member #47420
                              November 4, 2006
                              3930 Posts
                              Posted: July 21, 2010, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

tiggs has no idea what anyone is talking about on this thread..tiggs wishes everyone would make sense like tiggs does..Understand????...

Page 2 of 19