Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Topic closed. 274 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 4 of 19
PrintE-mailLink

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Yes [ 31 ]  [27.43%]
No [ 65 ]  [57.52%]
Does it really matter? [ 17 ]  [15.04%]
Total Valid Votes [ 113 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
joker831's avatar - Trek COMBADG3.gif
Tucson, Arizona
United States
Member #63404
July 27, 2008
102 Posts
Posted: July 22, 2010, 8:28 am - IP Logged

Absolutely not.  It's bad enough US Citizens have to pick up the tab for all the welfare and other government assistance programs that these people put a strain on.  Our tax dollars pay for their 'free ride'.  And they come up here, get lucky enough to win a lottery, and are being deported back to Mexico?  That's crap.  That money should be taken away from them and put back into the lottery coffers.  If they want the 'American Dream' so bad then they need to do so through proper and legal channels.  I am a 5th generation Mexican-American.  The Constitution of The United States applies to US Citizens.  NOT everyone in the world.  Illegals should be shot in the head on sight for even attempting to cross the border illegally.  Illegals give my people the bad name they have now.  I live in Arizona and I did vote for the immigration law that we have in effect now.  I support it.  I agree with it.  And if I run into illegal immigrants, I will dime them out in a heart beat.  I have what I have today through hard work and diligence.  Nobody ever gave me anything and I have never asked for anything nor have I expected the government to give me a hand out because of my Nationality.  You want what I have?........ Then get here legally, work hard, get an education, and make it happen.

The possibilites are endless.... might as well start at the begining

New York,
    Panama
    Member #73078
    April 4, 2009
    3490 Posts
    Posted: July 22, 2010, 8:56 am - IP Logged

Absolutely not.  It's bad enough US Citizens have to pick up the tab for all the welfare and other government assistance programs that these people put a strain on.  Our tax dollars pay for their 'free ride'.  And they come up here, get lucky enough to win a lottery, and are being deported back to Mexico?  That's crap.  That money should be taken away from them and put back into the lottery coffers.  If they want the 'American Dream' so bad then they need to do so through proper and legal channels.  I am a 5th generation Mexican-American.  The Constitution of The United States applies to US Citizens.  NOT everyone in the world.  Illegals should be shot in the head on sight for even attempting to cross the border illegally.  Illegals give my people the bad name they have now.  I live in Arizona and I did vote for the immigration law that we have in effect now.  I support it.  I agree with it.  And if I run into illegal immigrants, I will dime them out in a heart beat.  I have what I have today through hard work and diligence.  Nobody ever gave me anything and I have never asked for anything nor have I expected the government to give me a hand out because of my Nationality.  You want what I have?........ Then get here legally, work hard, get an education, and make it happen.

Joker831, My Place of birth is Panama, and my mother brought us to the USA at a very young age, she was brought here by an Sothern American Family that Lived in the Army Bases over in Panama; The Lady loved her for her Hard work, her Honesty and Her dedication to their family.

My mother and Father both were hard working people came here ligaly, my mother later became a USA Citizen and then the rest of us!! I know exactly what you are saying...and Please remember that the Illegal aliens are not just  Hispanics!!!!

we have a bunch of others like Rusians, NY if Full of Illegal Rusians and Armenians they are here in NYC a lot of Illegals From England and France, and China, and India, Africans from Ethiopia, Irish,  as long as you keep it in perspective!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7309 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2010, 10:20 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the post AJ.  I don't think you'll be fried because what you say is absolutely valid.  There are many posts concerning this situation that are valid.  The poll question has raised a personal challenge to me.  Yes, I will contact the representative in my state and in my district.  As well as the elected official who has the responsibility in these matters.  For all I know there may already be laws here in Virginia forbidding payment of lottery prizes to illegals.  If such laws already exist, then shouldn't there be laws forbidding illegals to purchase lottery tickets?  Should then everyone, including myself, show proof of citizenship before being qualified to buy a lottery ticket?  And it goes on and on....!  Elected officials realy do want to hear from their constituents on any matter of civil laws.  All of us should be motivated to contact our representatives.

"If such laws already exist, then shouldn't there be laws forbidding illegals to purchase lottery tickets?"

I've bought tickets from clerks that could barely speak English and from the mistakes they make, I doubt they can understand English. There is no way for me to tell if the clerks are legal or not. While the owners of these stores may be legal, it's possible and probable some have their illegal relatives working for them.

"Should then everyone, including myself, show proof of citizenship before being qualified to buy a lottery ticket?"

Talk about Big Brother!

And think about irony, can you imagine being carded to show proof of citizenship by an illegal clerk?

"And it goes on and on....! "

Many lotteries sell scratch-off tickets from vending machines so anybody including kids under 18, criminals, would be terrorists and illegals can now purchase lottery tickets. I doubt this proof of citizenship would stop at just lottery tickets either. I don't want to carry a briefcase full a papers or have a chip implanted to prove I'm a U.S. citizen just to buy lottery tickets, a loaf of bread, or put gas in my car.

CA
        United States
        Member #84266
        December 26, 2009
        410 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2010, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Illegal immigrants shouldn't be able to claim IMO. However people (tourist) that are here legally (has a visa or passport) should be able to claim but taxed at a higher percentage.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7309 Posts
          Posted: July 22, 2010, 10:44 am - IP Logged

I don't care for the idea of any lottery looking for excuses not to pay prizes.  It's one thing to check the winner out and pay their child support and other bills they can now afford to pay and likely still wouldn't on their own, it's another thing to welch on the bet.

BobP

"I don't care for the idea of any lottery looking for excuses not to pay prizes."

I Agree!

The lottery's business is to sell tickets and payoff winners period. They should simply deduct State and Federal taxes leave it up to the player to take care of their own personal finances. If the lotteries aren't concerned with child support or bill collectors when they sell the tickets, why should they assume that authority when they payoff?

olplugger's avatar - moon2
            Mechanicsville, VA
            United States
            Member #84145
            December 23, 2009
            1523 Posts
            Posted: July 22, 2010, 11:09 am - IP Logged

"If such laws already exist, then shouldn't there be laws forbidding illegals to purchase lottery tickets?"

I've bought tickets from clerks that could barely speak English and from the mistakes they make, I doubt they can understand English. There is no way for me to tell if the clerks are legal or not. While the owners of these stores may be legal, it's possible and probable some have their illegal relatives working for them.

"Should then everyone, including myself, show proof of citizenship before being qualified to buy a lottery ticket?"

Talk about Big Brother!

And think about irony, can you imagine being carded to show proof of citizenship by an illegal clerk?

"And it goes on and on....! "

Many lotteries sell scratch-off tickets from vending machines so anybody including kids under 18, criminals, would be terrorists and illegals can now purchase lottery tickets. I doubt this proof of citizenship would stop at just lottery tickets either. I don't want to carry a briefcase full a papers or have a chip implanted to prove I'm a U.S. citizen just to buy lottery tickets, a loaf of bread, or put gas in my car.

Thanks Stack47....great thoughts and I certainly agree.  Toting a briefcase around is not my vision for America.  I hope and pray it never comes to that end.  Yes, that would be Big Brother at his best (or worse)!  It's good all of us at LP can discuss these very volatile issues.  Perhaps viable solutions will someday come.  Until then. . .US Flag

"Whatever the human mind can conceive and believe it can achieve."

Napoleon Hill, Author of "Think & Grow Rich"

MILLION22Q$'s avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
              raleigh, north carolina
              United States
              Member #92685
              June 12, 2010
              68 Posts
              Posted: July 22, 2010, 11:17 am - IP Logged

If they are illegal, how is the money prize legal? 

There should be a special clause to accommodate the winnings perhahps negating a larger percentage...or a special tax on top of the taxes they do tax everybody's win and that could be an equation of something like....

(33% + 40% tax.... if ticket holder is illegal)........... that would be Fair but as it stands...My overall answer is NOPE!

But overall my answer is NOPE because the bottom line is ............Illegal is Illegal .... just ask uncle sam and the irs!

Visualize and then Materialize... Mega Millions Millions & MILLIONS 4 ME $$$$ 

God is space...........Demonstrated! 

The light from just one candle can dispel a sea of darkness so...let there be LIGHT!!!  Sun Smiley

New York,
                Panama
                Member #73078
                April 4, 2009
                3490 Posts
                Posted: July 22, 2010, 11:42 am - IP Logged

"I don't care for the idea of any lottery looking for excuses not to pay prizes."

I Agree!

The lottery's business is to sell tickets and payoff winners period. They should simply deduct State and Federal taxes leave it up to the player to take care of their own personal finances. If the lotteries aren't concerned with child support or bill collectors when they sell the tickets, why should they assume that authority when they payoff?

Ok, Point well taken Stack47...but look at it this way...You Invite some people for Dinner;  a lot of people show up and sit at the table.

The Uninvited gets a plate of food and the invited gets nothing; because of the un-invited guests who are not suppose to be at the table to partake of the meal in the first place!!!!

Every Illegal alien that plays and wins big, takes that chance away from the person or persons who are here by Birth or by Naturalization!!!! 

If you are not invited!! stay away from the table!!! Get Invited!!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: July 22, 2010, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Great post joker.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: July 22, 2010, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

Ok, Point well taken Stack47...but look at it this way...You Invite some people for Dinner;  a lot of people show up and sit at the table.

The Uninvited gets a plate of food and the invited gets nothing; because of the un-invited guests who are not suppose to be at the table to partake of the meal in the first place!!!!

Every Illegal alien that plays and wins big, takes that chance away from the person or persons who are here by Birth or by Naturalization!!!! 

If you are not invited!! stay away from the table!!! Get Invited!!!

Excellent point Rosie.

I hadn't even considered that perspective, that someone here illegally is taking a chance at winning away from an American citizen.

That's yet another outrage in a totally outrageous situation.

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10351 Posts
                      Posted: July 22, 2010, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

On the one hand, there's a saying "America has always had a problem with illegal immigration, ask any Native American!", and a tee- shirt with four armed braves that says, "Providing Homeland Security since 1838" or something similar.

On the other hand there's the following. I'm not sure that Arizona's governor really said it or posted it, but even if not, it sure makes a lot of sense:

This is after the Phoenix Suns were protesting the new law in AZ:
                       Much has been said against AZ's move to do the Federal Government's job.
                       The following was sent by a friend and pokes fun at the Suns.
                       To see where it came from, you'll understand when you see the last line.

"What if the owners of the Suns discovered that hordes
                               of  people were sneaking into games without paying?

What if they had a good idea who the gate crashers are, but the
                           ushers and security personnel were not allowed to ask these folks to produce their ticket stubs, thus non-paying attendees couldn't  be ejected.

Furthermore, what if Suns' ownership was expected to provide
                              those who sneaked in with complimentary eats and drink?

And what if, on those days when a gate-crasher became ill or
                              injured, the Suns had to provide free medical care and shelter?"

posted by:  Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer on FaceBook

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: July 22, 2010, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

On the one hand, there's a saying "America has always had a problem with illegal immigration, ask any Native American!", and a tee- shirt with four armed braves that says, "Providing Homeland Security since 1838" or something similar.

On the other hand there's the following. I'm not sure that Arizona's governor really said it or posted it, but even if not, it sure makes a lot of sense:

This is after the Phoenix Suns were protesting the new law in AZ:
                         Much has been said against AZ's move to do the Federal Government's job.
                         The following was sent by a friend and pokes fun at the Suns.
                         To see where it came from, you'll understand when you see the last line.

"What if the owners of the Suns discovered that hordes
                                 of  people were sneaking into games without paying?

What if they had a good idea who the gate crashers are, but the
                             ushers and security personnel were not allowed to ask these folks to produce their ticket stubs, thus non-paying attendees couldn't  be ejected.

Furthermore, what if Suns' ownership was expected to provide
                                those who sneaked in with complimentary eats and drink?

And what if, on those days when a gate-crasher became ill or
                                injured, the Suns had to provide free medical care and shelter?"

posted by:  Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer on FaceBook

There it is in a nutshell.

I hope Eric Holder doesn't sue you for posting that.

--Edmund Burke

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                          Harbinger
                          D.C./MD.
                          United States
                          Member #44103
                          July 30, 2006
                          5583 Posts
                          Posted: July 22, 2010, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

I like that Gov. Brewer.  She is super cool.

New York,
                            Panama
                            Member #73078
                            April 4, 2009
                            3490 Posts
                            Posted: July 22, 2010, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

Excellent point Rosie.

I hadn't even considered that perspective, that someone here illegally is taking a chance at winning away from an American citizen.

That's yet another outrage in a totally outrageous situation.

Yes, Rd, if they want the Perks let them sweat like we all have to do to pay our taxes! 

I say ours Because My mother worked her Back parts off and contributed a lot to My Beautiful USA, As well as Myself;  and  we also contributed to the Lottery I might add, since I learned the game form her and she learned it from her mother my grandma! Most Immigrants that came here the right way

W O R K E D!!!!  and Contributed to make this a Better Place!!!  They came with the intentions of  W O R K I N G!!!  

Imagine  rd, because of the uninvited people the real guest get's no dinner and no desert!! Oh, hecky NO!!!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Sunny California
                              United States
                              Member #40295
                              May 31, 2006
                              7712 Posts
                              Posted: July 22, 2010, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

Hecka No! You think they would let us claim a lottery prize in their country?

Page 4 of 19