Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Topic closed. 274 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 3 of 19
PrintE-mailLink

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Yes [ 31 ]  [27.43%]
No [ 65 ]  [57.52%]
Does it really matter? [ 17 ]  [15.04%]
Total Valid Votes [ 113 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
New York,
Panama
Member #73078
April 4, 2009
3490 Posts
Posted: July 21, 2010, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

tiggs has no idea what anyone is talking about on this thread..tiggs wishes everyone would make sense like tiggs does..Understand????...

You have to go to ThatScarychick, reply on the thread, then you will see where she posted here about the Murphy's!...come on tiggs keep up will you!SmashSmiley

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: July 21, 2010, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

Funny thing. Talk about perspective. We have LEGAL citizens who have power in government, and outside government, especially outside government, that cause much more harm.

No.....the illegal shouldn't be able to claim the prize.

Neither should the shadow government be allowed to get away with killing over 3,000 innocent folks in order to fullfill their agendas.

If you try to make sense out of things that make no sense, it'll drive you crazy. All the big wigs are in cahoots with each other, and most people don't seem to be up in arms about this.

A real good analogy reflecting real life would be when my dad had a cigarette in his hand, while lecturing me to not smoke.

When the people who wrote the laws practice what they preach, then and only then will I take life seriously.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
      Member #47420
      November 4, 2006
      3930 Posts
      Posted: July 21, 2010, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

You have to go to ThatScarychick, reply on the thread, then you will see where she posted here about the Murphy's!...come on tiggs keep up will you!SmashSmiley

Brain has told tiggs to try to keep up...Have no idea what she means...

THRUST's avatar - f35l

United States
        Member #88435
        March 16, 2010
        397 Posts
        Posted: July 21, 2010, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

Funny thing. Talk about perspective. We have LEGAL citizens who have power in government, and outside government, especially outside government, that cause much more harm.

No.....the illegal shouldn't be able to claim the prize.

Neither should the shadow government be allowed to get away with killing over 3,000 innocent folks in order to fullfill their agendas.

If you try to make sense out of things that make no sense, it'll drive you crazy. All the big wigs are in cahoots with each other, and most people don't seem to be up in arms about this.

A real good analogy reflecting real life would be when my dad had a cigarette in his hand, while lecturing me to not smoke.

When the people who wrote the laws practice what they preach, then and only then will I take life seriously.

Never gonna happen. Duplicity is human nature. The best you can do is enjoy life until someone or something takes it from you.

$1,000,000

New York,
          Panama
          Member #73078
          April 4, 2009
          3490 Posts
          Posted: July 21, 2010, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

Tiggs... aahh...she means she Loves you!!! Daa!!! at least get that tiggs...for gooness sakes!!!Poke! 1 

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #74096
            May 2, 2009
            23243 Posts
            Posted: July 21, 2010, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

LOL tiggs!!

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #74096
              May 2, 2009
              23243 Posts
              Posted: July 21, 2010, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Ok dr, The Illegal Murphy's from Boston, Mass. not withstanding!!  I did not think so!!!  Thank you!

lol jrosina! yes!

The illegal Murphy's should wait for their visas but have their ticket confiscated. They do not deserve to take their winnings with them nor

do they deserve special treatment in order to keep their millions....ie, have their visas pushed through and granted due to unusual

circumstances....ie winning big $$$$$$$.

They are here illegally by neglecting to process through the system so, should not be entitled to any perk, bonus, prize, right of an American citizen

since they refused to become citizens and slipped through the system. I don't understand why they should be able to take their winnings with

them either.

As far as the reference to the Powerball Q's and A's....tourists the Murphy's are not, they're not residents, they're not citizens and probably didn't

plan on becoming citizens - (being here since 1986) - anytime soon BUT had to get things in gear and quick because, by Joe, they won the

Powerball. Oh! but someone else decided if they're turned down for a visa, they get to take the money with them! The statement referring to

not having to be a citizen or resident or only being considered a tourist means people who travel here (then leave) and are permitted to do so

legally. Not people who enter the USA and decide to stay indefinitely on their own terms.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10392 Posts
                Posted: July 22, 2010, 12:16 am - IP Logged

tiggs has no idea what anyone is talking about on this thread..tiggs wishes everyone would make sense like tiggs does..Understand????...

tiggs,

Sure now laddie, the <snip> sponsors the Murphys way across the pond and gets them cash paying jobs in Boston, New York, And Chicago, and the Murphys kick a little bit back to the <snip>.

ANOTHER ROUND OF GUINNESS STOUT PADDIE AND PUT A NATION ONCE AGAIN ON THE JUKEBOX!

Before this latest invasion of illegals coming through Mexico the Murphys were the largest grouop of illegals in the country, but looking like mopsyt of the population they blended right in.

Big differnece though, Mike and Paddie came here to work, not to bleed the system dry.

Coin Toss has no idea whatsoever how he knows any of this.

BEGORRAH LADS, BEGORRAH! 26+6=1! UP THE REPUBLIC AND <SNIP> THE QUEEN!

Lep

With the risin' o' the moon, with the risin' o' the moon.....

As for the question in the OP, I understand the sentiment against letting illegals claim lottery prizes, and what rdgrnr said makes a lot of sense and would proably get him elected in Arizona, BUT, and this is a big BUT, taking somebody's money on any kind of bet with the intention of not paying them if they win isn't a lottery, it's a scam.

Ut oh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7344 Posts
                  Posted: July 22, 2010, 12:26 am - IP Logged

What about those people who travel here from other countries like Canada, France, Germany, etc. and buy tickets? They aren't legal citizens either. What if someone from Germany who is on vacation wins? Aren't they entitled to their winnings if they win? I have friends who buy lottery tickets from Canada and they are not legal citizens of that country. If they had won shouldn't they get the money? Honestly, I don't believe there are any rules in place that say you have to be an American citizen to buy tickets. If there is such a rule, please post a link.

If the tourist are in the country legally, they should have no problems cashing lottery tickets but the IRS instructs the lotteries to deduct more than the 25%. When we cash tickets over $600, we are asked for a photo ID and SS card so I imagine the state lotteries have provisions for non-residences to show their passport and/or green card.

Arizona could pass out winning tickets to the illegals and round them up when they show up to cash them.

Hiding Behind Computer

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                    West Side of Sunny Florida
                    United States
                    Member #55048
                    September 8, 2007
                    3371 Posts
                    Posted: July 22, 2010, 4:37 am - IP Logged

Two things, 1) set aside the money and give them ONE year to 'become' legal then they can claim it.  2) then TAX them an extra 10% which goes DIRECTLY to the BORDER PATROL budget.

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                      Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3114 Posts
                      Posted: July 22, 2010, 4:43 am - IP Logged

I don't care for the idea of any lottery looking for excuses not to pay prizes.  It's one thing to check the winner out and pay their child support and other bills they can now afford to pay and likely still wouldn't on their own, it's another thing to welch on the bet.

BobP

Belle Fourche , South Dakota
                        United States
                        Member #25019
                        October 30, 2005
                        17 Posts
                        Posted: July 22, 2010, 6:09 am - IP Logged

Real simple they are here illegally  there fore they should not have no rights and should be deported ! Just the same if a US citizen who goes to another country, we should be treated the same if we are caught there breaking the law if we are there illegally. Sorry shall we give them a cushy life , myself and millions of other US citizen work, and abid by our laws to enjoy the life style we wish to live and at times struggle to get the benifits we deserve ( heath care , retirement , ect ) unlike others who walk in illegally and dont pay a dime, or  a life time of dues in working and living in our wonderfull country but ---bang cash cow ---we take care of them .  So no - they are illegal no pay off --dont pay them the winning so they can jump back across the border to live like " KINGS "-- off the illegal gotten lottery winnings ! ----Man will I get fried for this postNo Pity!

olplugger's avatar - moon2
                          Mechanicsville, VA
                          United States
                          Member #84145
                          December 23, 2009
                          1523 Posts
                          Posted: July 22, 2010, 6:26 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the post AJ.  I don't think you'll be fried because what you say is absolutely valid.  There are many posts concerning this situation that are valid.  The poll question has raised a personal challenge to me.  Yes, I will contact the representative in my state and in my district.  As well as the elected official who has the responsibility in these matters.  For all I know there may already be laws here in Virginia forbidding payment of lottery prizes to illegals.  If such laws already exist, then shouldn't there be laws forbidding illegals to purchase lottery tickets?  Should then everyone, including myself, show proof of citizenship before being qualified to buy a lottery ticket?  And it goes on and on....!  Elected officials realy do want to hear from their constituents on any matter of civil laws.  All of us should be motivated to contact our representatives.

"Whatever the human mind can conceive and believe it can achieve."

Napoleon Hill, Author of "Think & Grow Rich"

sully16's avatar - sharan
                            Ringleader
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            42185 Posts
                            Posted: July 22, 2010, 7:00 am - IP Logged

no!

HyperBe Happy.

New York,
                              Panama
                              Member #73078
                              April 4, 2009
                              3490 Posts
                              Posted: July 22, 2010, 7:35 am - IP Logged

Two things, 1) set aside the money and give them ONE year to 'become' legal then they can claim it.  2) then TAX them an extra 10% which goes DIRECTLY to the BORDER PATROL budget.

You mean don't shoot them at the border?!Unhappy....okApprove, that's a good second and third alternative!!!Wink

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

Page 3 of 19