Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Topic closed. 274 replies. Last post 6 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 14 of 19
PrintE-mailLink

Should illegal immigrants be able to claim lottery prizes?

Yes [ 31 ]  [27.43%]
No [ 65 ]  [57.52%]
Does it really matter? [ 17 ]  [15.04%]
Total Valid Votes [ 113 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
Oklahoma
United States
Member #82391
November 12, 2009
6305 Posts
Posted: July 25, 2010, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

not only a valid ID but a valid SS# as well

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
    Northern Virginia
    United States
    Member #83350
    December 5, 2009
    1322 Posts
    Posted: July 25, 2010, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

Illegal immigrants should not be allowed to even play U.S. lottery games. Mexico has a lottery, why not play the Mexican lottery?

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: July 25, 2010, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

Once you go  you can alway go back... whenever

Careful now pepper, I heard tiggs was hard to handle at one time.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
        Member #81843
        October 31, 2009
        856 Posts
        Posted: July 26, 2010, 2:24 am - IP Logged

That new super highway and energy resource conduit from Mesico to Can-ada is NAFTA & CAFTA  “divide and conquer”.

Badges? We don’t need no stink’n badges!

DD

pepper1's avatar - batman38
          hotatlanta
          United States
          Member #70664
          February 8, 2009
          1446 Posts
          Posted: July 26, 2010, 11:26 am - IP Logged

Careful now pepper, I heard tiggs was hard to handle at one time.

Thanks RD I take that under advisement. By the way he is missing in action every since I put out that message.

Don't worry Tiggs I have a husband of 37 years, after him i don't want another one. Never Ever. Let me be a free bird.

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
            Member #55246
            September 20, 2007
            225 Posts
            Posted: July 26, 2010, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

"If they are allowed to play, they should be allowed to collect their wins."

You're missing the point the same way as everybody who takes your position, Jack Pot.

The point is this: They are not supposed to be here in the first place.

You do not get the keys to the city just because you were successful in evading the Border Patrol.

Is there a written law prohibiting them from playing and winning, you ask?

Probably not but let me ask you this:

If a strange man sneaks in the back door of your house, is it then ok for him to sit down and have dinner with your family just because he's already there?

Why not? There's no law that says people can't have dinner at your house, is there?

Are ya pickin up what I'm puttin down?

rdg, I won't argue with you.

I asked the owner of the 7/11 where I buy my tickets about the OP's question. He said illegals can claim on their wins, but since they don't have SSN, they will be taxed more. They have to present a valid ID though, and a valid ID is any government-issued ID. He said, he asked the lottery HQ about this because we are in a farming community. These illegals work in the fields. Once a week a group of 10 workers come to his store to buy $2 worth of megamillion ticket - advance play- this is the reason why he asked, he felt guilty selling lotto tickets to people who may not be able to collect should they win...

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: July 26, 2010, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

Thanks RD I take that under advisement. By the way he is missing in action every since I put out that message.

Don't worry Tiggs I have a husband of 37 years, after him i don't want another one. Never Ever. Let me be a free bird.

You hitting on tiggs pepper?..tiggs is spoken for..He is rich and has one foot in the grave..tiggs is not like ridgey with wimins all over the country..Sugerbritches ever finds out OH MAN!!!..tiggs won't tell...yeah right...Let tiggs know when you hit the lottery pepper him and ridge will come a knock'in..$$$$$<<<----we be smellin this stuff $$$$$$..

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19895 Posts
                Posted: July 26, 2010, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

rdg, I won't argue with you.

I asked the owner of the 7/11 where I buy my tickets about the OP's question. He said illegals can claim on their wins, but since they don't have SSN, they will be taxed more. They have to present a valid ID though, and a valid ID is any government-issued ID. He said, he asked the lottery HQ about this because we are in a farming community. These illegals work in the fields. Once a week a group of 10 workers come to his store to buy $2 worth of megamillion ticket - advance play- this is the reason why he asked, he felt guilty selling lotto tickets to people who may not be able to collect should they win...

The other day I matched 3+1 with a PowerBall ticket.  I took it in, the clerk checked it and said WOW and gave me $100 and my ticket back.  No ID requested or needed.  The only time I have ever needed ID to collect my lottery winnings was when I won $1500 and had to collect it from a bank after my ticket was verify by a local retailer.  The bank needed my ID to verify information for the state to sent me a W-G form. 

The only time an illegal immigrant is going to be checked before getting his prize is when it exceeds $600 and how often is that going to happen.   And if it does, it not going to be hard to find someone to claim it for him and pay the taxes for a small fee if he wishes.  Before I retired I was in a lottery pool at work that won several $1500 prizes and the deal was to allow one of pool member kid who was in college to cash in our ticket and pay him $100 for his service.  Since he didn't have a job, when he filed his tax return he also got the refund of ~$350 withheld for taxes when he claimed our prize which was a good deal for everyone involved, he made $450 and we didn't pay any taxes.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

hotatlanta
                  United States
                  Member #70664
                  February 8, 2009
                  1446 Posts
                  Posted: July 26, 2010, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

You must didn't read my post husband of 37 years I smell the same thing that you smell MONEY MONEY. Read my post

after him i don't want to look at another man until i feel like it. I'm about the $$$$$$$$$

United States
                    Member #47420
                    November 4, 2006
                    3930 Posts
                    Posted: July 26, 2010, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

You must didn't read my post husband of 37 years I smell the same thing that you smell MONEY MONEY. Read my post

after him i don't want to look at another man until i feel like it. I'm about the $$$$$$$$$

tiggs reads your post..Your hard to understand being a liberal you don't make that much sense..tiggs can figure it out tho so keep posting..

United States
                      Member #81843
                      October 31, 2009
                      856 Posts
                      Posted: July 26, 2010, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Hey ridge, tiggs, are the lotteries a dream and a distraction like the news, sports and the next big thing at the coliseum? Are they just another opiate for the masses?

DD

hotatlanta
                        United States
                        Member #70664
                        February 8, 2009
                        1446 Posts
                        Posted: July 28, 2010, 12:38 am - IP Logged

tiggs reads your post..Your hard to understand being a liberal you don't make that much sense..tiggs can figure it out tho so keep posting..

What does being a Democrat have to do with being liberal. If it wasn't for RD  translate  for you most things you say would be none extinct being the right wing that you are.

United States
                          Member #47420
                          November 4, 2006
                          3930 Posts
                          Posted: July 28, 2010, 11:45 am - IP Logged

What does Democrat have to do with being a liberal..WHAT???....pepper babe if you don't know at your age tiggs can never explain it to you so ask ridge he's full of....and knowledge..

hotatlanta
                            United States
                            Member #70664
                            February 8, 2009
                            1446 Posts
                            Posted: July 28, 2010, 11:53 am - IP Logged

What does Democrat have to do with being a liberal..WHAT???....pepper babe if you don't know at your age tiggs can never explain it to you so ask ridge he's full of....and knowledge..

I don't now what you are nor do I care. I find it distasteful to criticism someone because they're not of

your party are have the same view as you, are to see things one way, when all the parties have there

problem. I will not debate this subject with you any futher it is a disrespect to this person post.

konane's avatar - wallace
                              Atlanta, GA
                              United States
                              Member #1265
                              March 13, 2003
                              3348 Posts
                              Posted: July 28, 2010, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

No. Unless they are here on a valid VISA or Passport...which would allow them to be here legally.

I Agree!  I Agree!   Don't believe you have to be a ciitzen to claim a jackpot but believe you have to have legal documentation if a non-citizen in order to claim.

Just wish they'd abolish all taxes on wins.  Big Grin

Good luck to everyone!

Page 14 of 19