Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can prayer affect the outcome of a lottery

Topic closed. 215 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Todd.

Page 2 of 15
PrintE-mailLink

Praying for a lottery win will:

Improve the chances of winning [ 34 ]  [45.95%]
Worsen the chances of winning [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Have no influence on the chances of winning [ 40 ]  [54.05%]
Total Valid Votes [ 74 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 8 ]  
OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
lottoville
United States
Member #95474
August 11, 2010
132 Posts
Posted: May 31, 2011, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

In light of the recent discussions about the affect of prayer on the outcome of a lottery draw, I am curious to what the average person thinks. I am more interested in the vote outcome rather than the rationale behind the vote. But if there is a discussion, please try to keep it civil.

Thanks

"I am curious to what the average person thinks."

Then this rules me out because I'm above average. Me and my shiny car and my expensive piece of paper from the ivory towers of academia. (sarcasm)

United States
    Member #54390
    August 17, 2007
    313 Posts
    Posted: May 31, 2011, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

Gambling is a sin.  If your church accepts gambling, then you need to find a different church.   Praying to win the lottery, is the same effect as praying for someone you hate to die.

"It's not a friend who consider your losses your problems and your winnings partly theirs.  Any friend who expect to share your winnings should share your losses too." -RJOh

softysecret's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
      nassau
      Bahamas
      Member #11243
      February 8, 2005
      8 Posts
      Posted: May 31, 2011, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

can someone please show me by biblical proff where they say that gambling is a sin

United States
        Member #75358
        June 1, 2009
        5345 Posts
        Posted: May 31, 2011, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

can someone please show me by biblical proff where they say that gambling is a sin

It doesn't specifically say gambling is a sin, but it does say the love of money is.

1 Timothy 6:10 (ESV)

10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds
        of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith
        and pierced themselves with many pangs.

Proverbs 13:11 (ESV)

11 Wealth gained hastily will dwindle,

but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

Ecclesiastes 5:10 (ESV)

10 He who loves money will not be satisfied with
        money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity.

Proverbs 16:33 (ESV)

33 The lot is cast into the lap,

but its every decision is from the Lord.

Matthew 6:24 (ESV)

24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he
        will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and
        despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

Hebrews 13:5

5 Keep your life afree from love of money, and bbe content with what you have, for he has said, c“I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 

United States
          Member #54390
          August 17, 2007
          313 Posts
          Posted: May 31, 2011, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

If you're Catholic, you should have learned in the catechism that gambling is pure sin.  Gambling is the same sin as having risque relations out of wed-lock. I am a sinner, so I gamble.  But problem here is that people are actually praying to win and use religion heavily on gambling.  This is very wrong and the work of the devil.

"It's not a friend who consider your losses your problems and your winnings partly theirs.  Any friend who expect to share your winnings should share your losses too." -RJOh

sandia's avatar - disney24
            TEXAS
            United States
            Member #107766
            March 13, 2011
            196 Posts
            Posted: May 31, 2011, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

for your infomation jesus christ is god he steped down out of glory and became man to show that he to can bear the trails that we face everyday if you don't believe that he is god that is your business but because you don't believe that he is god doesn't make him not so keep your opinions to yourself .

Hold on, you said that CHRIST is god and another poster said no. You are telling him/her to keep his/her opinions to him/herself but you are allowed to voice yours? Common, it is not as if anything offensive was said, he/she simply stated their own opinion like you did yours so be and let be, okay?

Wonderful, do have a wonderful evening and GOOD LUCK if you play.

sandia's avatar - disney24
              TEXAS
              United States
              Member #107766
              March 13, 2011
              196 Posts
              Posted: May 31, 2011, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Gambling is a sin.  If your church accepts gambling, then you need to find a different church.   Praying to win the lottery, is the same effect as praying for someone you hate to die.

Winning the lottery is a sin too? Unless it affects you and those around you in ways beyond recognition, I do not think so. Moreover, last time I checked, you are entitled to pray for WHATEVER you want, your concience would be the torment if it is bad. And you said praying for the lottery win, has the same effect as praying for someone to die? WHAT?!!!!!!!! Seriously?!

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, are you all weeping yet?! Frown

(Feel free to ask the same question of whatever deity you believe in or not)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10390 Posts
                Posted: May 31, 2011, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

If you're Catholic, you should have learned in the catechism that gambling is pure sin.  Gambling is the same sin as having risque relations out of wed-lock. I am a sinner, so I gamble.  But problem here is that people are actually praying to win and use religion heavily on gambling.  This is very wrong and the work of the devil.

Would that include church run Bingo?

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #81843
                  October 31, 2009
                  856 Posts
                  Posted: May 31, 2011, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

Would that include church run Bingo?

Scared

Pure sin? Then give me all your money and I will sell you an indulgence to knock off
                  a few eons of your eternal purgatory. I suppose that church bingo is a impure form of sin, just as long as there is no competition.

Good post Joker. You too CT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indulgence

Does anyone know how Ridge holds his lic’r?

If Christ hung out with all kinds of people including whores and tax collectors
                  (who, BTW got to keep anything over their quota) while turning the tables in the
                  temple, it is good enough for me. He did not focus on their sin, they were born
                  under the dominion of it.What a guy. Sinners are more fun and down to earth.

Hey -if he was without sin, why din't he pick up a boulder and bash that whore's head in? She was caught in the very act -what a bunch of freaks,.. I wonder who the john was? Why was he not on trial too for a judgement? A: he was born in the world unlike Adam and under the dominion of the god of the world that offered all kinds of special indulgences if he only worshiped the dirt-bag. They wanted him to cast the first stone and be like everyone else, without God and without hope. God cannot be tempted. If you think he was God, then you will die like Adam did- estranged from God.

DD

United States
                    Member #81843
                    October 31, 2009
                    856 Posts
                    Posted: May 31, 2011, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

Delta Draw, I think you misread or misunderstood the poll. The poll does not mention or reference Jesus.

You are right Mario. I misunderstood your intentions. Does the name of Jesus Christ offend you?

You referenced another discussion. In the article was the synonymous contextual use of: God, Jesus
                    and Lord. They are not synonymous so in regards to prayer and the news article and
                    comments that prompted your info quest,… get over it.

If people want an effectual prayer life there are rules to follow and conditions
                    to meet. One condition is to understand HOW it is done. A precondition to the topic if that is what you want to poll.

One Sonship right is the power of attorney to use the name of Jesus Christ. Not everyone
                    has that due to wrong teaching. Answered Prayer should not be a hit and miss
                    thing, but for most it is.

DD

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8393 Posts
                      Posted: May 31, 2011, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

Pray for anything you wanna pray for just be ready to deal with the consequences of your actions should your prayer come true.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                        sully16's avatar - sharan
                        Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        41988 Posts
                        Posted: May 31, 2011, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

Pray for anything you wanna pray for just be ready to deal with the consequences of your actions should your prayer come true.

So true, Garth Brooks, sang a song that says, some of Gods greatest gifts are un-answered prayers.

I myself pray for others, sickness , misfortune, for healing of the mind and soul.

HyperBe Happy.

Canada
                          Member #68663
                          December 27, 2008
                          260 Posts
                          Posted: May 31, 2011, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

I rated this thread one star (my first time ever rating anything one star) and will not be voting in your poll because it's simply more of your phony-baloney harassment of Christians.

Once again act as pious as a saint.

But do you really  think you're fooling anybody?

Everybody can look up your past posts in the Jackpot Forum to see how you really feel.

Grow up.

rdgrnr, please provide one post to support your accusation I have harassed Christians.

On the other hand, I can provide at least 100 posts in which you made personal attacks against members of this forum.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                            Tx
                            United States
                            Member #4570
                            May 4, 2004
                            5180 Posts
                            Posted: May 31, 2011, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

God's motives are his own, no way to know anything there.

As to God's angels, you can pray to them all that you want, it will do you no good, they won't do anything on their own, they do as they are told to by God.

As to Satan and his angels, Satan does what he wants to do if he is permited to do so by God.

He once fought Michael for Moses' dead body and lost, so it can be said that God didn't let him take it.

You can pray for money all that you want to, but as jackpots are few and far between and people are so very many only some people can win, be it by chance, technique, praying or by whatever else.

So for most people praying for money might be a wasted effort.

I can't say that God will sometimes give some people money, but I also can't say that he won't, I can't neither first guess nor second guess God.

Pretty much the same about Satan, Satan knows about Satan and God also knows about Satan, but I am clueless.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
                              light on my feet
                              United States
                              Member #356
                              May 20, 2002
                              2744 Posts
                              Posted: June 1, 2011, 12:32 am - IP Logged

It doesn't specifically say gambling is a sin, but it does say the love of money is.

1 Timothy 6:10 (ESV)

10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds
                              of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith
                              and pierced themselves with many pangs.

Proverbs 13:11 (ESV)

11 Wealth gained hastily will dwindle,

but whoever gathers little by little will increase it.

Ecclesiastes 5:10 (ESV)

10 He who loves money will not be satisfied with
                              money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity.

Proverbs 16:33 (ESV)

33 The lot is cast into the lap,

but its every decision is from the Lord.

Matthew 6:24 (ESV)

24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he
                              will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and
                              despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

Hebrews 13:5

5 Keep your life afree from love of money, and bbe content with what you have, for he has said, c“I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 

while what you said is actually true,  biblically speaking,   i find it awefully telling that while you take pot shots at the bible and those who believe it's contextual truth's over thier lives....

....in how quick you are to now become....."the biblical expert"  on it's context  Green laugh

you have now relegated yourself to being an accessory to our crime of believing in "fairy tales"

good job,  joker (being an "expert" an all)...

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

Page 2 of 15