Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Praying?

Topic closed. 421 replies. Last post 6 years ago by visiondude.

Page 2 of 29
PrintE-mailLink
Raven62's avatar - binary
New Jersey
United States
Member #17843
June 28, 2005
49699 Posts
Posted: June 13, 2010, 10:14 am - IP Logged

I remember this Filipino lady pray and won Colorado lottery.

Lest you pray too much about Your own needs and yourself, pray with a balance between the needs of others and your own needs.

Start your prayer time with praising God, so that the focus is on Him.
Pray for the needs of others before your own needs.
When praying for yourself: Pray for what you need, rather than what you want.
Be grateful for the blessings that you have received where God's goodness to you has exceeded your basic needs, and has given you some additional blessings.

When praying for yourself focus on:
Your needs.
Your character to become more like the character of God revealed to you in Jesus, for forgiveness when we have erred, and for protection against evil and temptation.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
    Charlotte NC
    United States
    Member #17406
    June 18, 2005
    4053 Posts
    Posted: June 13, 2010, 11:07 am - IP Logged

Do you believe in praying?

Yes.  It works for me.

takeemtothebank

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49699 Posts
      Posted: June 13, 2010, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

If we make wise, godly decisions, we can expect God to reward us for our faithfulness. If we make rash or sinful choices, we can anticipate negative consequences. In other words, you reap what you sow, more than you sow, and later than you sow. Although the principle uses agricultural terms, it applies to spiritual things and by virtue of that fact: all of life.

Living as though rebellion against God has no consequences: in this life or the next: is humankind's most common delusion. "Do not be deceived; God is not mocked!"

Mocking the Lord includes laughing or sneering at His laws and being arrogant toward Him. Some people think that if they don't believe in God, it doesn't matter what the Bible says. But whether spiritual principles are accepted or denied, they apply to everyone.

Those who continue sowing to the Spirit can expect God to reward them. Paul encouraged believers to "be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord".

God doesn't necessarily reward us materially here on earth. Despite his faithfulness, Paul experienced intense persecution and eventually was beheaded. However, in heaven, his reward will be greater than we can imagine.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

edge's avatar - waveform

United States
        Member #68609
        December 26, 2008
        2204 Posts
        Posted: June 13, 2010, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

it all comes down to a difference between material and spiritual. to pray to win lottery for a sake of vanity? well no, to pray to win lottery to ie. play for smeone close heart surgey yes, think its a matter of principles. there is also great deal of agnostics and non believers that win, world is left to its own devices (I do believe) however I also believe in beyond matter ideas and principles, they are extremely rare but do happen, good thread, and great comments.

ab actu ad posse valet illatio - from the past one can infer the future

United States
          Member #81843
          October 31, 2009
          856 Posts
          Posted: June 13, 2010, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Yes I Do.

Some things are answered immediately and some may take years. Be diligent and faithful, but do not pray amiss. Today two people helped me at the same business. The first helped me the way I thought I needed help. After a failure, I thanked him and tipped him $2. I saw the other guy and updated him on the situation. Then I got an idea and he supplied the tool. It Worked! I tipped him my only dollar I had left, thinking that I would at least like to tip him the same as I did the other. I left and found $2 on the side of the road. I picked it up and went back to the yard where the two men were now looking at the same project. I gave the $2 to the guy who had the tool that helped me get an answer to prayer. When I first tipped him the $1, I said God bless you. He did, and I also.

It’s not always the money that is the need, and this was an exception. All the money in the world will not get an answer to prayer; get focused on what you need because thinking in terms of praying for money is our own way to solve problems. Think in terms of the need being met.

DD

PS the business was closed today and the men were doing work on their own things. Not knowing where to go: I prayed, I went and I found. Then I got my need met. God is good and only a fool would say it was luck.

Opti-Mystic's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg

Bahamas
            Member #91247
            May 13, 2010
            151 Posts
            Posted: June 13, 2010, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

There is a saying, "prayer changes things" ..... this is true.  The fervent, effectual prayer of a righteous man availeth much the Good Book says.  It  also advises us to "pray without ceasing".   And yet we must also know HOW to pray - intercessory prayer is oftentimes the best type of prayer, because as we pray for others and they in turn, pray for us - it takes the focus off of ourselves and our unselfish prayers for others, I believe, are more readily answered.

There is a loving, heavenly Father who hears and answers prayers - and though He may answer in His own time, He is always right on time! AMEN!

United States
              Member #81843
              October 31, 2009
              856 Posts
              Posted: June 13, 2010, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

How DID I PRAY?

I had been working on something I wanted to rebuild. Something was stuck that should not have been, It should just fall out when turned upside down. I knew what I wanted it to do and I soaked it, bathed it, washed it, rinsed it, soaked it again overnight and it was still stuck. I had a clear picture of what I wanted to achieve. No doubts. It would not come out after all I could think of to do with what I had. I decided that what I needed was compressed air to blow it out. Today is Sunday and regardless of the fact that any business that has compressed air and a good nozzle to do the job was closed, I headed out. Tire air at the pay pumps would not work.

The first guy provided the perfect nozzle without prompting. Though it did not do the ‘big’ job it did allow me to blow out other areas that NEEDED it.

HOW did I pray?

I recognized the needs against all odds (It being Sunday, and I didn’t know where to go)

I thanked God to supply my needs in a simple fashion, like “thanks God”.

I had a clear picture of what I was looking for (a good supply of air and a nozzle).

I had a clear picture of what the end result would be.

I took action and did something: I went to find a place with air.

Each step along the way several answers to my request were evident.

I do stuff like this daily. ‘Big’ things are no different than little things to God. It is actually more fun to believe for answers to prayer than to rely on a bank account.

DD

victorl3ichiban's avatar - georgemichael
                san jose
                United States
                Member #53761
                July 20, 2007
                277 Posts
                Posted: June 14, 2010, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/148630

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                  Member #65961
                  October 11, 2008
                  162 Posts
                  Posted: June 14, 2010, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

Those kids die of malnutrition, starvation and disease.

In this country we kill our kids on purpose - 1.37 million of em a year.

I wonder if one of em might have come up with a solution for world hunger if he or she had lived.

Hi RDGRNR!

I Totally agree....

United States
                    Member #65961
                    October 11, 2008
                    162 Posts
                    Posted: June 14, 2010, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

We've had a solution for world hunger for many years. It's the government heads that want to punish their enemies in times of war within factions, by using kids as a weapon. They won't allow food to reach it's destinations.

It's like when you hear about a crazy person who kills their own kids, just "in spite" to hurt the spouse.

Hi Joker.....

So glad you added another post....

At first I thought you were blaming God for not solving the problems created by humanity.....the but I see where you are coming from now....

United States
                      Member #75358
                      June 1, 2009
                      5345 Posts
                      Posted: June 14, 2010, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

Hi Joker.....

So glad you added another post....

At first I thought you were blaming God for not solving the problems created by humanity.....the but I see where you are coming from now....

I appreciate the nice words, but how do you account for God allowing 20,000 children to die everyday?  For decades and decades. Surely you can't blame humanity for one third of the population of Europe to die during the Bubonic plague. They had no clue concerning the microbial world, yet God stood there just watching the masses vanish.

50 million died during WWII....

How many in the American Revolution?

You may blame all this on Adam and Eve, but I don't subscribe to stories. One reason is that the Adam and Eve story is not the only story in the world. There are many other stories so diverse in other religions, that it made my head spin. So no blame game for me. If God is Omnipotent, then he would've seen this coming, despite "free will" playing a part.  Free will or not, He would know the outcome. So for me, I'm just spiritual. No head games, and no rules that make no sense. It's common sense for me, with a twist of and open minded quality. That's all you really need. You all, deep down know that they all can't be right....right?

Why my God is allowing things like this to happen is beyond me. You will never ever hear me say..."I know what God is thinking, or why he is allowing all this". Never....because know one knows for sure.

Humanity can't cure the common cold, but they claim God told them the secrets of the universe...............ROFL

United States
                        Member #65961
                        October 11, 2008
                        162 Posts
                        Posted: June 14, 2010, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely!

I believe God for all that He says He is....( My Lord, Savior, King, Redeemer, Healer, Provider etc....)

In His Word, you will find His instructions:

"Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all things will be added unto you"!

(Matthrew 6:33)

He also says:

And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hear us and if we know that He hears us whatsoever we ask we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him (1 John 5:14).........

(The key words are......according to His will for you).

Thus when I ask God for anything and everything.....(and I do)......I approach His Thrown knowing that the answer is either.....

Go ..........(Yes)

Slow........... (I have to wait)

No......... (no means no)

Or

Grow...... (I am not ready for what I am asking for)

But ........I start with the scripture from Matthew 6:33

"Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all things will be added unto you".

God will either confirm my faith..........or challenging it........

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                          Member #59354
                          March 13, 2008
                          3964 Posts
                          Posted: June 14, 2010, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Hello everyone

I pray, or talk to God all the time.  I always seek to learn and understand everything around me, and in

this, I learn humility.  Never rule anything out unless you want to eat a little humble pie.  I have found

that God in his abundance of mercy, can and does answer prayer.  Never compare what God will do for

you to anything.  Not world hunger, not how much or how little you have ect...  Who can know the mind

of God.

We limit God's blessings when we place him in a box.  All the major problems in the world are man made

and the best solution is to change ones own self.  If everyone done this everything would change.   I

once asked why so many bad things happened, His answer was,  "Think about It." 

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United States
                            Member #65961
                            October 11, 2008
                            162 Posts
                            Posted: June 14, 2010, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

I appreciate the nice words, but how do you account for God allowing 20,000 children to die everyday?  For decades and decades. Surely you can't blame humanity for one third of the population of Europe to die during the Bubonic plague. They had no clue concerning the microbial world, yet God stood there just watching the masses vanish.

You may blame all this on Adam and Eve, but I don't subscribe to stories. One reason is that the Adam and Eve story is not the only story in the world. There are many other stories so diverse in other religions, that it made my head spin. So no blame game for me. If God is Omnipotent, then he would've seen this coming, despite "free will" playing a part.  Free will or not, He would know the outcome. So for me, I'm just spiritual. No head games, and no rules that make no sense. It's common sense for me, with a twist of and open minded quality. That's all you really need. You all, deep down know that they all can't be right....right?

Why my God is allowing things like this to happen is beyond me. You will never ever hear me say..."I know what God is thinking, or why he is allowing all this". Never....because know one knows for sure.

Humanity can't cure the common cold, but they claim God told them the secrets of the universe...............ROFL

Death is a part of life.......

The good and the bad co-exist.....

Precognition is an attribute of God...........and He's got a plan on how it all ends.........

He is Sovereign and still in Control ( if not, I would not be typing this response and you would not be breathing...)

I don't trip over what's happening in the world....it sad and sometimes I do cry......but God warned us..........it is in the Bible.....and I know you may not want to hear it ....but it gets worst before it will get better........

Nonetheless........I respect your opinion and appreciate the dialogue.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                              Member #59354
                              March 13, 2008
                              3964 Posts
                              Posted: June 14, 2010, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

Hello

I knocked and seeked and this is what I found. The fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil was

"that in knowing good and evil, made us to judge".  The only thing that God reserved to Himself is

judgement.  Think about it.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

Page 2 of 29