Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you believe every combination has the same probability?

595 replies. Last post 12 days ago by Soledad.

Page 32 of 40
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7295 Posts
Posted: October 5, 2016, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Oh boy those are close digits pairs for ny. Thanks CarBob

Those 8 lines guarantee a two digit match in 72% of the drawings or every time a single (three different digits) combo is drawn. The Bookies knew that and knew by being just one digit off most of the time, players would continue to play.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
    San Angelo, Texas
    United States
    Member #1097
    January 31, 2003
    1394 Posts
    Posted: October 5, 2016, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

"I have to wonder why Todd has let this thread survive, given that it is not providing, in my opinion, anything
    that would help players choose the integers that have best chance of being in the next winning permutation/combination."

Is that unique to this thread?  Has any discussion of players ideas of winning a game ever had those results?

Good question!

I like to think that I have presented some ideas about choosing the best integers, but I seldom receive any feedback.

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/306892

Seems a lot of folks, like those participating in this thread, have their own ideas on the best approach to lottery play, and will justify them to the very end, wherever that may be.
    This thread got hijacked by a few folks who can't seem to accept the fact that lotteries test their equipment by generating, in Pick 3, 4 pre-test permutations prior to the official draw.
    Pre-tests are a fact of life and we have to find a way to adjust.
    I ignore them.
    There are a few folks who visit LP regularly believe using odds, probability and other mathematical and statistical factors are the only way to win, but they don't provide much proof.
    If I interpret their posts, they seem divided on whether or not pre-tests affect winning outcomes.
    Seems like we are going in circles because no one has any fresh ideas.
    I suggest folks who are strongly anti-pre-test put them in a box and compensate by adding a +1 to draws held on even dates and minus -1 for draws held on
    odd dates. This would add something to their workouts, other than stomach acid.
    I don't think there is anything more that can be said, but, its not my call.

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
      Dallas, Texas
      United States
      Member #4549
      May 2, 2004
      1655 Posts
      Posted: October 5, 2016, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Bob! Feeling the effects of that NEW pneumonia shot. Like being kicked in the left shoulder by a mule of 40.

The eight combination idea was called the Magic System. Search 2 of 3 Magic system, or 8 sets to win, 2 of 8 system, or something like that. Robert Perkis (member BobP for newer members) also has a 2 of 8 system. (Now I see RC beat me to it.) Cheers

Can't find the original post but here are some of the other sets:

The 312 451.....was called the original Magic System.

Raven and Thoth later did backtests with promising results. Raven added the last two 17 combo sets. 

There may be other sets out there.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
        ORLANDO, FLORIDA
        United States
        Member #4924
        June 3, 2004
        5893 Posts
        Posted: October 5, 2016, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Bob! Feeling the effects of that NEW pneumonia shot. Like being kicked in the left shoulder by a mule of 40.

The eight combination idea was called the Magic System. Search 2 of 3 Magic system, or 8 sets to win, 2 of 8 system, or something like that. Robert Perkis (member BobP for newer members) also has a 2 of 8 system. (Now I see RC beat me to it.) Cheers

Can't find the original post but here are some of the other sets:

The 312 451.....was called the original Magic System.

Raven and Thoth later did backtests with promising results. Raven added the last two 17 combo sets. 

There may be other sets out there.

Always glad to hear from you. Thanks for the lines. I use to be able to create those with Covermaster or I think I did.

Dallas, Texas
          United States
          Member #4549
          May 2, 2004
          1655 Posts
          Posted: October 5, 2016, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

Good question!

I like to think that I have presented some ideas about choosing the best integers, but I seldom receive any feedback.

https://www.lotterypost.com/thread/306892

Seems a lot of folks, like those participating in this thread, have their own ideas on the best approach to lottery play, and will justify them to the very end, wherever that may be.
          This thread got hijacked by a few folks who can't seem to accept the fact that lotteries test their equipment by generating, in Pick 3, 4 pre-test permutations prior to the official draw.
          Pre-tests are a fact of life and we have to find a way to adjust.
          I ignore them.
          There are a few folks who visit LP regularly believe using odds, probability and other mathematical and statistical factors are the only way to win, but they don't provide much proof.
          If I interpret their posts, they seem divided on whether or not pre-tests affect winning outcomes.
          Seems like we are going in circles because no one has any fresh ideas.
          I suggest folks who are strongly anti-pre-test put them in a box and compensate by adding a +1 to draws held on even dates and minus -1 for draws held on
          odd dates. This would add something to their workouts, other than stomach acid.
          I don't think there is anything more that can be said, but, its not my call.

Bobby,

It's a great thing we all have different ways of seeing the lottery and playing the lottery. That adds to the collective knowledge and input of everyone here. Each of us are better players for any input. Some dismiss any idea on the principle, some look at it, tear it apart to see why it works, or don't work, and discover the flaws in it. If at the end of the day, we've all learned something that's the best we can hope for.

We can't expect anyone to acknowledge they have won, or how much they won. Too many times when someone claims a win they are met with prove it, show me, tell us how, and worse the old charge that person is (ahem) prevaricating success. Most everyone is aware, or should be, they will be hounded and haunted if they make that claim.

You mention the idea of knowing how the experts design the game, how the machines work, etc. You're asking a lot for us to accept. I think the designers are knowledgeable about the games, but the work of proving the game random was at one time farmed out to Texas A&M. The knowledge they have of the games comes from looking at other games around the country, or the world. Remember the All or Nothing fiasco? Yeah, that game was brought in by the lottery commission. How amazing is it that one person could throw a monkey wrench in this expert approved game just by playing two sets of numbers to win half a million bucks on one draw?

Personally, I don't give the machines, their mechanisms, color, dimensions, or anything that involves the machines a second of thought. I could care if it dances a Irish jig while eating cheese doodles! All I care about is if the numbers that machine declares the winner is on the playslip I have in hand. 

People have success with different ideas and different systems. That's all that counts. And anyone who can reliably predict the 8 ball is going to bounce off the 2 ball and knock the 1 ball into the 3 causing the 5 to shoot out, more power to them. I'm happy. I'm never going to be able to do that. Gravitational effect, phase of the moon, delineation of the earth, that's all beyond the distance I plan to explore for $1. And the day I have to know all that just to pick 3 numbers between 0 and 9, I QUIT (forever).

Probability doesn't always give you a play when you are trapping. Most days you are making the decision to play or wait one more day. Some days you jump in on the trap and it doesn't happen. But now you're committed. You have to keep playing so you don't miss it. In some cases that means increasing your bet (at whatever interval) to prevent a loss.

The design of the game has no effect; the machine has no effect.

Probability says this certain event is likely to happen soon. It's up to the individual to decide if they want to believe that and jump in or if they want to wait and see what happens. Sometimes he who hesitates loses. And then there are the days that he who plays loses.

In the end, each person has to decide how to play, when to play, and what to play.

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3471 Posts
            Posted: October 5, 2016, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

"What is the best bet after let's say 3 flips land on one side (heads) in your opinion?"

Do you believe the coin is fair? If so, heads always has the same chance as tails and there is no best bet, regardless of what has happened in the past. 3 heads in a row is a fairy high probability event and will occur fairly frequently, and it's easy enough to demonstrate things yourself. Sit down for a relatively short period of time and flip a coin 100 times and record the results. Better still take a bit more time and do it 2 or 3 hundred times.

"Is there a system or reasonable probability factor as to why streaks DO come to an end and why or why not this should be expected?"

There's a very clear "probability factor" why streaks end. Each time you get 3 heads in a row there's a 50% chance that the next flip will be tails and end the streak. If you do get another heads the 5th flip will have a 50% chance of landing tails, and so on. The probability that the streak will continue is halved every time you flip the coin again. For a 50/50 event like flipping a coin you can't expect the streak to come to an end with any particular flip because it's always equally likely that the flip will extend the streak. For events with other probabilities whether or not you should expect the streak to end is subjective. If the probability of getting a result that ends the streak is 2 in 3 continuing the streak won't be surprising. OTOH, if pick 3 draws the same number 2 nights in a row the 99.9% chance of drawing a different number the 3rd night means that most  people would  expect one of the other 999 numbers.

"Is a coin flips 1:2 probability equal to a digit from 1-9 being drawn in the same spot?"

It sounds to me like you're asking if a 1 in 2 chance is equal to a 1 in 10 chance.

"If the lottery officials do pre-tests just to make sure the machines are functioning properly and nothing else, then why can't they use plain, blank, unnumbered ping pong balls during the pre-tests?"

Because part of the test is looking for anything that might indicate that the results aren't perfectly random, and that means they need to know which balls are selected.

"The same digit hits in the same position 3 times, I'm playing for a fourth."

That at least makes some sense, because there's at least some chance that something happened 3 times in a row because the process is flawed and that digit has more than  a1 in 10 chance. The problem is that what you see as the same position probably isn't. If either the machine or the ball set is different then its either a different digit or a different position.

"I don't think we've said anything different."

It sounds to me like we're saying very different things, but I'm  not sure whether or not we mean different things.

"It is interesting the way we both agree that probability affects random. However, you stop short of saying probability adversely affects random. "

Probability doesn't have any effect on random. Something is random or it's not, and probability is a completely different issue. In terms of events such as flipping a coin, rolling a die, or selecting numbered (or unnumbered, FTM) balls random just means that there is nothing that favors one outcome over another. Probability is a tool that describes possible outcomes from events, whether the event random or not.

"Your use of the term "increasingly unlikely" has the same tone and meaning as random is limited or if you prefer, adversely affected."

Describing random as "limited" may just be your way of describing something I agree with, but it's a poor way to describe it. Something is either random or it's not, and nothing limits random.  The only thing that happens is that each repetition increases the number of possible results, so that the series of still perfectly random events becomes 1 of an ever-increasing number. The results become increasingly unlikely but they never become impossible, so there is no limit on the results of random events.

"Do you play Pick 3?"

Nope. I've got no idea why anybody would play pick 3 if they understand probability. If you win today and keep playing once a day you can't expect to stay ahead for even a year and a half. I don't play the lottery in hopes of being statistically normal and losing money, but the low odds of pick 3 pretty much guarantee that's what will happen.

"everybody is acting like the numbers do not have any values. That they are just balls."

They are just balls. The numbers are there so that we can tell them apart, not because hey have any effect on which balls are selected. Numbers are convenient labels, but lots of other things would work just as well. If the balls had names on them maybe we wouldn't see people saying they came close when the winning pick 3 was Fred Martha Bill and they had played John Sam Susan. Of course a lot of players still see some pattern or relationship between balls labeled Fred, Ethel, Lucy and Ricky because they've been conditioned to associate those names with one another.

"If there is always an edge in either game why would lotteries have to cheat?"

They wouldn't, which is why they don't. They know that offering games with a house advantage and relying on random results and probability guarantees a gross profit that closely matches the game design.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
              Texas
              United States
              Member #86154
              January 30, 2010
              1646 Posts
              Posted: October 5, 2016, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Bobby,

It's a great thing we all have different ways of seeing the lottery and playing the lottery. That adds to the collective knowledge and input of everyone here. Each of us are better players for any input. Some dismiss any idea on the principle, some look at it, tear it apart to see why it works, or don't work, and discover the flaws in it. If at the end of the day, we've all learned something that's the best we can hope for.

We can't expect anyone to acknowledge they have won, or how much they won. Too many times when someone claims a win they are met with prove it, show me, tell us how, and worse the old charge that person is (ahem) prevaricating success. Most everyone is aware, or should be, they will be hounded and haunted if they make that claim.

You mention the idea of knowing how the experts design the game, how the machines work, etc. You're asking a lot for us to accept. I think the designers are knowledgeable about the games, but the work of proving the game random was at one time farmed out to Texas A&M. The knowledge they have of the games comes from looking at other games around the country, or the world. Remember the All or Nothing fiasco? Yeah, that game was brought in by the lottery commission. How amazing is it that one person could throw a monkey wrench in this expert approved game just by playing two sets of numbers to win half a million bucks on one draw?

Personally, I don't give the machines, their mechanisms, color, dimensions, or anything that involves the machines a second of thought. I could care if it dances a Irish jig while eating cheese doodles! All I care about is if the numbers that machine declares the winner is on the playslip I have in hand. 

People have success with different ideas and different systems. That's all that counts. And anyone who can reliably predict the 8 ball is going to bounce off the 2 ball and knock the 1 ball into the 3 causing the 5 to shoot out, more power to them. I'm happy. I'm never going to be able to do that. Gravitational effect, phase of the moon, delineation of the earth, that's all beyond the distance I plan to explore for $1. And the day I have to know all that just to pick 3 numbers between 0 and 9, I QUIT (forever).

Probability doesn't always give you a play when you are trapping. Most days you are making the decision to play or wait one more day. Some days you jump in on the trap and it doesn't happen. But now you're committed. You have to keep playing so you don't miss it. In some cases that means increasing your bet (at whatever interval) to prevent a loss.

Probability says this certain event is likely to happen soon. It's up to the individual to decide if they want to believe that and jump in or if they want to wait and see what happens. Sometimes he who hesitates loses. And then there are the days that he who plays loses.

In the end, each person has to decide how to play, when to play, and what to play.

Excellent points and your first paragraph pretty much sums up the overall attempt by a few of usYes Nod...no harm intended at all. I actually went into this conversation saying I wanted to give players something to think about, and, hopefully make them better players in the end. I never thought that introducing such a premise for strong consideration, based on actual occurrences, would be met with such oppositionNo Nod...and request for proof Oh, well, it's all good and it's also good to read commentary like this. Regarding your number crunching of Texas draws, which are the same numbers I arrived at, I'd much rather have those (96) pre-test chances to match and win some money as opposed to only the (24) they tout as 'official draws'...(4) times as many chances to winLOLYes Nod! Even on a two official draws per day state with four pre-tests each , that's a (14) in (56) chance to match. Total opportunities involved definitely matter here, in my honest opinion.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                San Angelo, Texas
                United States
                Member #1097
                January 31, 2003
                1394 Posts
                Posted: October 5, 2016, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

Bobby,

Like you, I don't ever think about the machines, ball sets, pre-test, etc.
                The winning integers 'drive' all my substitution methods - period.
                I suppose I should just read the latest news on how to win, and mind my own business.
                It's just difficult to read what people post and not make a comment.
                I'm not passing judgment on any workout, real or imagined.
                I have enough to do just keeping mine updated.
                However, after 32 or more pages, I sincerely doubt that anyone has had a change of heart, or has anything new to share.
                And frankly speaking, I haven't learned anything new. 
                You might not agree, but I think it's time to move on to something else.
                But, it's not my call!!
                Have a good day!!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19813 Posts
                  Posted: October 5, 2016, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

The proof is in the results.  If anyone is constantly getting better results than the overall averages for the games they play then they might have something beside luck working for them.  I don't really expect these LP discussions to be anymore than just entertainment.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Dallas, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #4549
                    May 2, 2004
                    1655 Posts
                    Posted: October 5, 2016, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

The proof is in the results.  If anyone is constantly getting better results than the overall averages for the games they play then they might have something beside luck working for them.  I don't really expect these LP discussions to be anymore than just entertainment.

Good way of looking at it. LP has had its share of laughs over the years. And I'm not saying that some of the people who post outlandish headlines to draw traffic to their site or sell their ideas shouldn't be asked for proof. I'm as likely, if not more, than anyone here to ask if I suspect that's what they are doing.

You've been here long enough to remember the guy who claimed he was going to win the 98 million dollar lottery. I can't remember the username, or the lottery. It was like his daily affirmation. He didn't hesitate to tell anybody and everybody he was going to win. The night of the draw somebody won.

His first post was a headline was something like "I Won 98 Million Dollars!"

Todd removed it after the guy got his 15 minutes of fame, banned him and announced the guy had not won. Some people bring it on themselves.

And then there are the people who give you a half idea of what they are doing. It doesn't matter if someone completes it, they are going to say no that's not it. Or maybe it's the threads where the formula keeps changing from post to post. Or it could be the posts that go three pages when the OP says, "I forgot to mention......" 

LOL, yeah. Maybe they are all equally irritating.

You do your own programming and post on the prediction board. I do my programming and post in the state thread when I'm playing and not working on something else. Both methods work for our purpose.

A lot of it is entertainment, but I've taken a lot of ideas and turned them into, or deprived, programs from some part of the post. In that area, I've made it more like entertaining. Right now I'm using it as a distraction to prevent energy deprivation due to trashing old files in the Pick 3 Manipulation folder. Eventually the HEHOLELO (high-even, low-odd), the STRCLOP (Straight-Open-Closed), INOP (In-Out), and the ones that read DOESNOTWORKFORDOUBLES, along with 20 some odd others have to find a new home.

For me, LP's saving grace is the good people here with ideas/theories we can build on.

Big Smile

G

New York, NY
                      United States
                      Member #140634
                      March 23, 2013
                      2947 Posts
                      Posted: October 6, 2016, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

"I have to wonder why Todd has let this thread survive, given that it is not providing, in my opinion, anything
                      that would help players choose the integers that have best chance of being in the next winning permutation/combination."

Is that unique to this thread?  Has any discussion of players ideas of winning a game ever had those results?

I learned something from a few people I found helpful. You must get through obstacles first to get to the finish line. You didn't like my trick? I have others. Do you know where I can find the total dollars taken IN daily at the Aqueduct Horse Track? Lol, Thanks CarBob

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19813 Posts
                        Posted: October 7, 2016, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

Good way of looking at it. LP has had its share of laughs over the years. And I'm not saying that some of the people who post outlandish headlines to draw traffic to their site or sell their ideas shouldn't be asked for proof. I'm as likely, if not more, than anyone here to ask if I suspect that's what they are doing.

You've been here long enough to remember the guy who claimed he was going to win the 98 million dollar lottery. I can't remember the username, or the lottery. It was like his daily affirmation. He didn't hesitate to tell anybody and everybody he was going to win. The night of the draw somebody won.

His first post was a headline was something like "I Won 98 Million Dollars!"

Todd removed it after the guy got his 15 minutes of fame, banned him and announced the guy had not won. Some people bring it on themselves.

And then there are the people who give you a half idea of what they are doing. It doesn't matter if someone completes it, they are going to say no that's not it. Or maybe it's the threads where the formula keeps changing from post to post. Or it could be the posts that go three pages when the OP says, "I forgot to mention......" 

LOL, yeah. Maybe they are all equally irritating.

You do your own programming and post on the prediction board. I do my programming and post in the state thread when I'm playing and not working on something else. Both methods work for our purpose.

A lot of it is entertainment, but I've taken a lot of ideas and turned them into, or deprived, programs from some part of the post. In that area, I've made it more like entertaining. Right now I'm using it as a distraction to prevent energy deprivation due to trashing old files in the Pick 3 Manipulation folder. Eventually the HEHOLELO (high-even, low-odd), the STRCLOP (Straight-Open-Closed), INOP (In-Out), and the ones that read DOESNOTWORKFORDOUBLES, along with 20 some odd others have to find a new home.

For me, LP's saving grace is the good people here with ideas/theories we can build on.

Big Smile

G

"A lot of it is entertainment, but I've taken a lot of ideas and turned them into, or deprived, programs from some part of the post. In that area, I've made it more like entertaining. Right now I'm using it as a distraction to prevent energy deprivation due to trashing old files in the Pick 3 Manipulation folder. Eventually the HEHOLELO (high-even, low-odd), the STRCLOP (Straight-Open-Closed), INOP (In-Out), and the ones that read DOESNOTWORKFORDOUBLES, along with 20 some odd others have to find a new home.

For me, LP's saving grace is the good people here with ideas/theories we can build on."

I Agree!

As entertaining as it is I have yet to come up with a program that constantly gives me an edge over time.

With lotteries the only way to get ahead and stay there is to win a jackpot. Wink

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

New York, NY
                          United States
                          Member #140634
                          March 23, 2013
                          2947 Posts
                          Posted: October 7, 2016, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

6-12 inches of rain expected Florida heavy rain going up. Flooding watch. Storm Surge. Safe and sound wishes for all florida

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7295 Posts
                            Posted: October 13, 2016, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

I posted ten pick-3 lines on another thread that have the 2if3 guarantee along with some straight and box probabilities. One of the 60 combos produced by those ten lines should be drawn once in every 22 drawings. My state doesn't record test results so if one of those combos goes AWOL for 100 drawings, I can't say "testing is the reason". However the Texas Lottery does publish testing results and while I can't see any direct evidence the test effect the official drawings, I can understand the arguments against publishing test results.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                              ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                              United States
                              Member #4924
                              June 3, 2004
                              5893 Posts
                              Posted: October 13, 2016, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

I posted ten pick-3 lines on another thread that have the 2if3 guarantee along with some straight and box probabilities. One of the 60 combos produced by those ten lines should be drawn once in every 22 drawings. My state doesn't record test results so if one of those combos goes AWOL for 100 drawings, I can't say "testing is the reason". However the Texas Lottery does publish testing results and while I can't see any direct evidence the test effect the official drawings, I can understand the arguments against publishing test results.

Stack, may I ask which thread you posted those lines?

Page 32 of 40