Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you believe in "lucky" stores?

Topic closed. 227 replies. Last post 6 years ago by THRUST.

Page 3 of 16
PrintE-mailLink

If there are 2 stores and one sells a lot of big winners and the other doesn't, where do you go?

The "lucky" store cuz it's "lucky" [ 29 ]  [30.21%]
The other store cuz it's due for a winner [ 14 ]  [14.58%]
Whichever store is most convenient [ 53 ]  [55.21%]
Total Valid Votes [ 96 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: July 18, 2010, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

Before I recently moved, there was a Shell gas station I went to because it was very close. The Indian guy there is really nice, but he was always trying to sell me and everyone else who entered his store his fried chicken.

The other strange thing was that he had a dot on his forehead, with an arrow pointing to it that said.."You are here".

Very strange....

I mostly stay away from gas station chicken. Those little remnants of feathers poking through the breading kill my appetite.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5587 Posts
    Posted: July 18, 2010, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

How about a little positive thinking?  Instead of "Hoping" to get into the wake of others' luck,  being a pioneer of winning ways at a particular locale that has never gotten the big one.  You know,  being the first "Big Large Powerful Winner & Collector of the Oversize check from Lottery Headquarters!  Right there in the store that just got $100K bonus for selling you the massive win.

tungsten chef's avatar - nw dwarf5.jpg
      Winnipeg
      Canada
      Member #14974
      May 7, 2005
      3656 Posts
      Posted: July 18, 2010, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

The stores that have many winners are usually 1's that have many customers. Gas station/convenience for example. Kiosks in shopping malls is another.

Now for my conspiracy theory angle....

Lottery commision picks terminal # 364 for 6-49 win or store #364 for big scratch off win. Once people see that small out of the way store got a winner...ticket sales increase.  Big Grin

I'm an N.S.A.

A Numerical Statistics Analyst.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10390 Posts
        Posted: July 18, 2010, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

How about a little positive thinking?  Instead of "Hoping" to get into the wake of others' luck,  being a pioneer of winning ways at a particular locale that has never gotten the big one.  You know,  being the first "Big Large Powerful Winner & Collector of the Oversize check from Lottery Headquarters!  Right there in the store that just got $100K bonus for selling you the massive win.

jarasan,

George Armstrong Custer said something very similar to that at the Little Big Horn!

Scared

Oh they were sure of victory the men of the 7th Cavalry...........

(Just kidding!)

Nino224,

Wehn justx was posting here she mentioned how frequently wining tickets were sold at a Publix, quite often any number of them in Dade County, and how often the Florida Pick 5 (Fantasy 5?) was won at a Publix on a free ticket.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
          NY State
          United States
          Member #92609
          June 10, 2010
          3815 Posts
          Posted: July 18, 2010, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Before I recently moved, there was a Shell gas station I went to because it was very close. The Indian guy there is really nice, but he was always trying to sell me and everyone else who entered his store his fried chicken.

The other strange thing was that he had a dot on his forehead, with an arrow pointing to it that said.."You are here".

Very strange....

When it's time to knock over the Shell station, most robbers will aim for that dot.........

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
            West Side of Sunny Florida
            United States
            Member #55048
            September 8, 2007
            3371 Posts
            Posted: July 18, 2010, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

As for me, I'm different.  I dont like to play repeatedly at any store.  I spread it around.  That way the clerks have no idea how addicted I am to the lottery!Crazy

Actually, I always play when I'm in Manhattan.  (not all that often)  More winners are sold in the NYC metropolitan area than anywhere else in NYC.  Must have sumthin to do with all those folks I see every time I go there..........

Since Manhattan is about 5 hours away I have to use stores around me that seem to win lot, and that would be Wegmans for Take 5.  Lately they have had most of the local Take 5 Jackpots so I try to play there any time I can.

Other than Wegmans for Take 5, I play stores in-which the clerks KNOW how to run the machines. But it is fun to watch a newbie get the 'Sold Out' screen on the new machines, they just stare at the machine till I say 'yea I know trips are sold out'

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

CA
              United States
              Member #84266
              December 26, 2009
              410 Posts
              Posted: July 18, 2010, 8:40 pm - IP Logged

All the places that I've bought tickets at are not lucky since I haven't won yet.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19898 Posts
                Posted: July 18, 2010, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

All that stuff about luck is just a loser's way of explaining why he never wins.

I'm not lucky but other players have said if they were as lucky as me they would play more often.  Lots of times they don't play and wonder why they didn't win.  They think luck should tap them on the shoulders and tell them when to play and if it doesn't then they are unlucky because if they had played their numbers they would have won.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #86154
                  January 30, 2010
                  1654 Posts
                  Posted: July 18, 2010, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

All that stuff about luck is just a loser's way of explaining why he never wins.

I'm not lucky but other players have said if they were as lucky as me they would play more often.  Lots of times they don't play and wonder why they didn't win.  They think luck should tap them on the shoulders and tell them when to play and if it doesn't then they are unlucky because if they had played their numbers they would have won.

I like it when people tell it like it really is, and, you've done just that in your post. There are no lucky stores in any form of lottery...PERIOD. Either you play  your numbers, whether QP or PP and Methodical, to win or lose. Just because people visit a particular store for tickets and win doesn't mean that the store is LUCKY.

Those rolls of tickets must produce pre-determined winners either way it goes, and, when an interval of losing tickets has lapsed, then the winners rise to the occasion. The people which purchase them just happen to be at THAT STORE AT THE RIGHT TIME. Please don't get it twisted. Either you purchase the winning ticket(s) or you don't...NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are solely mine and aren't intended to influence anyone here in any way, shape, form, or fashion. However, upon careful examination, any reasonable person will find that there is prevailing truth to be found here...

L.L.

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10390 Posts
                    Posted: July 19, 2010, 1:17 am - IP Logged

L.L.

"The people which purchase them just happen to be at THAT STORE AT THE RIGHT TIME."

In what universe is that not luck?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
                      light on my feet
                      United States
                      Member #356
                      May 20, 2002
                      2744 Posts
                      Posted: July 19, 2010, 1:42 am - IP Logged

L.L.

"The people which purchase them just happen to be at THAT STORE AT THE RIGHT TIME."

(1)  i completely stay away from stores that have "won alot". 

not because i believe that their "lucky"  (or maybe their "luck" has run out),  and there isn't enough "luck" left for me.........but because i would steer away from a store that had already experienced "winning".   which leads to #2...

(2) i always target a store that i sense could use the attention a lottery win would provide,  aka "mom & pop" type small stores,  vs big corporation connected venues.

corporation stores (like BP really needs a "win") already have enough dead benjamins to go around,  so no need lining their stock averages.

i like to think of what i would do,  for someone that really neded it,  and target them thusly.

(3)  it don't believe in lucky stores. 

i do however believe in "providence",  which is different than luck.

"dumb",   or otherwise...

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10390 Posts
                        Posted: July 19, 2010, 2:08 am - IP Logged

Once again, Miracle Mile, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.

It's been on the TLC Lotto programs, and has been discussed here on the board.

And nothing triggers more sales than having sold a winner.

PS

Providence is in Rhode Island, right?

J/K

From 2008:

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/168365

Lep

Winlotta's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                          Member #60014
                          April 3, 2008
                          735 Posts
                          Posted: July 19, 2010, 7:25 am - IP Logged

Personally, I go to the other one cuz the lines are shorter (more convenient).

Unless there's a rude clerk attending the counter, convenience is primary. . . . .

Patriot

`|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|`

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                            Harbinger
                            D.C./MD.
                            United States
                            Member #44103
                            July 30, 2006
                            5587 Posts
                            Posted: July 19, 2010, 8:47 am - IP Logged

jarasan,

George Armstrong Custer said something very similar to that at the Little Big Horn!

Scared

Oh they were sure of victory the men of the 7th Cavalry...........

(Just kidding!)

Nino224,

Wehn justx was posting here she mentioned how frequently wining tickets were sold at a Publix, quite often any number of them in Dade County, and how often the Florida Pick 5 (Fantasy 5?) was won at a Publix on a free ticket.

I am convinced you are Moriarity,  you are the reincarnate of a negative vibe,  you are devoid of positive waves,   you resonate and amplify negativity.   CT is on the left,  jarasan is on the right.  Go outside and catch some rays.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #86154
                              January 30, 2010
                              1654 Posts
                              Posted: July 19, 2010, 8:49 am - IP Logged

L.L.

See, Coin Toss. This is why I have a disclaimer set up for people just like you. It's just good insurance every time as they NEVER really pay attention to what they're reading. Now, purchasing a ticket of any sort at any store which ends up being a winner doesn't mean that store is lucky, okay.

The PERSON just happened to PURCHASE the WINNING TICKET at the RIGHT PLACE at the RIGHT TIME according to the NATURAL OCCURENCE of events and TIMING. That's it.

No lucky store involved...just a LUCKY PERSON for that particular moment in time. That's it.

Don't you just love my disclaimer? There's always a method to my madness.

L.L.

Page 3 of 16